• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/19 - 3/25

Eteric Rice said:
I'm still curious as to what will happen world wide. I know the Wii is growing at a rate that very few thought it would.

What about in Europe, and North America? Will it be able to push down the Playstation in those places?

If you rule Japan than you rule the world. This statement for videogames doesn't hold as true as it has in the past as seen by Microsoft's market penetration last generation, but Japan still holds a lot of influence through it's many long withstanding game properties and it's ability to innovate rather than merely update. If Wii continues the sales path that it's begun and PS3 doesn't manage to pick up much ground, it is likely that Wii will dominate Sony worldwide. On the other hand, you have to wonder how much price is influencing decisions and if the general gaming population shares Nintendo's vision on how future games should be played. If Sony reduces its cost, delivers desired game titles, and Wii begins to be seen as a novelty, then paths can change. Of course, this is all a simple theory and doesn't take into account the Virtual Console, Blu-Ray, or even Nintendo's strength through IPs developed on the DS.

Zynx

For those thinking English Training 2 isn't selling much - all the other trainings have started slow too.

But then again you'd expect it to be a little faster if the market has already been conditioned/expecting these games, but perhaps not. If the earlier titles sold primarily through word of mouth (likely), then it'll take time for this one to gain traction, assuming it's as good as satisfying consumer needs as the previous ones.

Terrell

Kafel said:
Those predicting the Wii winning worldwide, don't only focus on Europe/Australia + USA + Japan.

All others territories may look very close at the price of their console, and not own a lot of HDTVs.
Speaking of which... does Korea offer any method of tracking game and console sales? I'd like to see how DS is selling there, in the land of cell phone games and MMOs. I've been watching Nintendo's move into Korea with vast interest, and I doubt Sales-Age would object to tracking the info.

farnham

Banned
Terrell said:
Speaking of which... does Korea offer any method of tracking game and console sales? I'd like to see how DS is selling there, in the land of cell phone games and MMOs. I've been watching Nintendo's move into Korea with vast interest, and I doubt Sales-Age would object to tracking the info.
oh well nintendo is pumping in the money.. and i think they had a few top spots in the software charts with brain age..

Kafel

Banned
Zynx said:
For those thinking English Training 2 isn't selling much - all the other trainings have started slow too.

But then again you'd expect it to be a little faster if the market has already been conditioned/expecting these games, but perhaps not. If the earlier titles sold primarily through word of mouth (likely), then it'll take time for this one to gain traction, assuming it's as good as satisfying consumer needs as the previous ones.

Guys ... it's obvious that non-gamers don't rush on first day release as gamers do.

They don't know release dates by heart as some of you do so their games start slowly but have infinite legs.

HyperionX

parathod said:
If you rule Japan than you rule the world. This statement for videogames doesn't hold as true as it has in the past as seen by Microsoft's market penetration last generation...

That era is going to end this gen. Japanese tastes have so fallen off the map relative to the western world it doesn't hold a tiny fraction of the sway it use too.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
HyperionX said:
That era is going to end this gen. Japanese tastes have so fallen off the map relative to the western world it doesn't hold a tiny fraction of the sway it use too.

Are you sure about that? Aren't the DS's two main "non games", Nintendogs and Brain Age doing very well in the U.S as well? Isn't there plenty of evidence that Wii Sports is capturing the public's attention in America just like Japan?

ethelred

HyperionX said:

That's true. That's why top-selling Japanese systems like the DS and the Wii are tanking elsewhere, and why the rest of the world has vomited back the games Japanese people have been buying in droves, like Nintendogs and Brain Age and FFXII.

Wiitard

Banned
I have a question about Japan. How many game satisfying the following criteria will be released in Japan in 08 and 09 ON PS3:

1) Full scale game retailing on disk;
2) Not paid by Sony;
3) Primarely focused on Japanese market;
4) Started in 07 or after;
5) Not a straight port from PS2/PSP/Wii with minimal graphical enhancements.

I predict 2 in 08 and 4 in 09.

Linkup

ethelred said:
That's true. That's why top-selling Japanese systems like the DS and the Wii are tanking elsewhere, and why the rest of the world has vomited back the games Japanese people have been buying in droves, like Nintendogs and Brain Age and FFXII.

Exactly. Since no one actually buys those titles then what hope does Nintendo have of taking over in the US or Europe.

Yeah, have any of you guys heard of this Japanese type of gameplay called an "RPG"?

Man, that type of game will never catch on in the Western World.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Wiitard said:
I have a question about Japan. How many game satisfying the following criteria will be released in Japan in 08 and 09:

1) Full scale game retailing on disk;
2) Not paid by Sony;
3) Primarely focused on Japanese market;
4) Started in 07 or after;
5) Not a straight port from PS2/PSP/Wii with minimal graphical enhancements.

I predict 2 in 08 and 4 in 09.

Basically any RPG satifies your requirements so.......

Wiitard

Banned
Linkup said:
Exactly. Since no one actually buys those titles then what hope does Nintendo have of taking over in the US or Europe.

Truth is that the only Japanese games that really sell in the West are rape sims.

grandjedi6 said:
Basically any RPG satifies your requirements so.......

So?

Jokeropia

HyperionX said:
:lol :lol :lol

HyperionX

perfectchaos007 said:
Yeah, have any of you guys heard of this Japanese type of gameplay called an "RPG"?

Man, that type of game will never catch on in the Western World.

RPGs were invented in America.

Wiitard

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
And really, just the loli ones at that.

Good point. And despite the kiddie image, Nintendo never come up with solid 1rst party offerings in the area, so no hope in the West at all.

grandjedi6 said:
So there will be alot of "hardcore" games left on the market as long as they keep selling....which they do

As long as they are profitable to make for PS3 which I see zero indication they are or will be any time soon.

HyperionX said:
RPGs were invented in America.
Seriously? I guess this is just one of those things that people assume. Like Pizza was started in Italy, but infact Pizza orriginated in Greece. BTW, what was the first ever RPG?

perfectchaos007 said:
Seriously? I guess this is just one of those things that people assume. Like Pizza was started in Italy, but infact Pizza orriginated in Greece. BTW, what was the first ever RPG?

Paging Gary Gygax, Gary Gygax to the courtesy phone

grandjedi6

Wiitard said:
Good point. And despite the kiddie image, Nintendo never come up with solid 1rst party offerings in the area, so no hope in the West at all.

As long as they are profitable to make for PS3 which I see zero indication they are or will be any time soon.

You never specified PS3, you just what "games".

That said even if the PS3 does Gamecube like numbers it will still get some support, even the gamecube could boast that. Also you think people would learn that nothing is consistent in such a relatively young market such as videogames. Did anyone forsee the Wii's popularity? The N64's downfall? The DS's spring back? The crimes behind the Gizmondo?

Wiitard

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
You never specified PS3, you just what "games".

That said even if the PS3 does Gamecube like numbers it will still get some support, even the gamecube could boast that. Also you think people would learn that nothing is consistent in such a relatively young market such as videogames. Did anyone forsee the Wii's popularity? The N64's downfall? The DS's spring back? The crimes behind the Gizmondo?

Ops. Fixed that. The question was only about PS3, sorry.

If PS3 gets gamecube like numbers it WILL NOT get Gamecube like support because it costs 2-3 times as much to develop for it as for Gamecube. So hence my question.

Actually there is on thing which is VERY constant - there are no reversals in the middle of a generation. If you start low you have some months, maybe a year to change that and than it is all over.

perfectchaos007 said:
Segata Sanshiro said:
Paging Gary Gygax, Gary Gygax to the courtesy phone

ODND.jpg

Welcome to 1973.

If anything, the Wii should relatively do better in the US than the DS. DS is popular in Japan because it's portable in a culture that prizes sleekness and mobility, and of course, the software. The Wii will have similar software but sits at home, in front of the big TV in a big family room in a typical American home. Europe should see equal popularity between the DS/Wii because they are not as mobile as the Japanese but not as sedentary as Americans. The audience is there in all three markets. It's just a matter of how you tap it.

grandjedi6 said:
Also you think people would learn that nothing is consistent in such a relatively young market such as videogames. Did anyone forsee the Wii's popularity? The N64's downfall? The DS's spring back? The crimes behind the Gizmondo?

That really only applies everytime the industry resets itself and a generation starts. Which is now.

And the DS never lagged behind the PSP so there was no springing back, only springing forward.

Wiitard

Banned
chibcicylist said:
That really only applies everytime the industry resets itself and a generation starts. Which is now.

And the DS never lagged behind the PSP so there was no springing back, only springing forward.

QFT. Crimes of Gizmondo? Is that where PS3 hopes lie: what if Shiggy and Iwata are just blowing coke and molesting kids 24/7? What is that comes out and then...

Btw, any response from the TV stations about Godfather Wii. I'm thinking in posting about it in a conservative parenting forum...

AniHawk

Wiitard said:
Btw, any response from the TV stations about Godfather Wii. I'm thinking in posting about it in a conservative parenting forum...

It showed people in an old folks' home playing it and at the end the reporter suggested playing it with the entire family.

Wiitard

Banned
AniHawk said:
It showed people in an old folks' home playing it and at the end the reporter suggested playing it with the entire family.

It sure is not the same as good old days when the whole family got together and just strangled a hooker in real life. But nowdays we are too busy keep up the traditions.

grandjedi6

Wiitard said:
QFT. Crimes of Gizmondo? Is that where PS3 hopes lie: what if Shiggy and Iwata are just blowing coke and molesting kids 24/7? What is that comes out and then...

It would make for an interesting thread if Miyamoto was arrested for driving a mercedes 200 mph down Toyko only to crash it and blame it on a mysterious plumber who was driving him

Wiitard

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
It would make for an interesting thread if Miyamoto was arrested for driving a mercedes 200 mph down Toyko only to crash it and blame it on a mysterious plumber who was driving him

All the while while dressed in Mario costume.

Idea for a game - Wiimote is Mario's nose. Numchack controls the blowing. How many lines of coke can Mario blow in 20 seconds?

Fredescu

AniHawk said:
Simulated murder brings families closer together, report shows.

Wiitard said:
I'm thinking in posting about it in a conservative parenting forum...
You know you want to.

I emailed the stations last week but didnt include any videos. I emailed them again today and included three youtube links. I also focused on emailing Foxnews and thier co-anchors, especially O'Reilly.

grandjedi6

chibcicylist said:
You know you want to.

I emailed the stations last week but didnt include any videos. I emailed them again today and included three youtube links. I also focused on emailing Foxnews and thier co-anchors, especially O'Reilly.

WTF! Why the hell would you do that??

Free publicity.

Murder Simulation, how can you go wrong with that?

I put "murder simulator video game" in the subject for maximum effect this time.

Deku

Banned
HyperionX said:
Japan is an important market because a lot of decisions about publishing are made there. It has nothing to do with tastes, although that ethnocentric argument has generally been beaten to death by the drohnes of this world and borders on being racist in tenor.

The general theory that whoever holds Japan does well overall, certainly held up with the DS where its strengths, almost all of it in Japan, spilled over internationally.

grandjedi6

chibcicylist said:
Free publicity.

I put "murder simulator video game" in the subject for maximum effect this time.

You do realize now that if anything actually happens GAF will blame you right?

Wiitard

Banned
chibcicylist said:
Free publicity.

I got it: talk radio. That's how hopefully the story will rise to the top all the way to Bill.

How can I forget about talk radio? Shit, I dont know who to email though, any suggestions? You should do it, Wiitard.

Does Rush hate video games? The only one I know who hates video games is Bill. How about Imus? Is he even popular?

Wiitard

Banned
Think small. All that is needed is for a small talk radio show to pick the story up. A small, but not too small show with a nice web forum where a story about how I walked into the room and saw my son strangling hookers will stick...

Well, we don't know if they are even interested. I'm just emailing anyone and everyone I can think of right now. But I'll definitely keep emailing O'Reilly.

creamsugar

Media Create 3/19 ~ 3/25

15 DS SRWW 16000 217000 
18 DS Front Mission 13000 13000 
26 DS Matigai Museum2 9400 61000 
30 DS Love&Berry 8700 925000 
37 DS PuyoPuyo 7800 143000 
43 Wii FE 6900 118000 
44 DS Kirby 7000 943000 
46 DS Girl's Side 6200 35000
47 DS Heroes of Mana 6100 30000 
48 DS Hotel Dusk 6000 179000 
53 Wii Zelda 5900 426000 
59 Wii Sonic 4700 16000 
66 DS るく 4200 10000 
82 Wii G1 Jockey 2600 9000 
83 DS FFIII 2600 1007000 
86 Wii DBZ 2500 117000 
87 DS Konami Arcade Collection(?) 2400 8600 
96 DS Etrian Odyssey 2000 76000 
99 PS2 祭 1900 102000 

97 PS3 VF5 1600 71000(3/12 ~ 3/18)
99 DS ナス 1500 46000(3/12 - 3/18)

Rock_Man

Thanks creamsugar!

creamsugar said:
66 DS Kuru Kuru Princess 4200 10000 

99 DS Luminous Arc 1500 46000(3/12 - 3/18)

grandjedi6 said:
You do realize now that if anything actually happens GAF will blame you right?
What should go wrong? Nintendo is on the safe side with parental controls and they won't ban video games because of Godfather:BE.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
creamsugar said:
Media Create 3/19 ~ 3/25

15 DS SRWW 16000 217000 
18 DS Front Mission 13000 13000 
26 DS Matigai Museum2 9400 61000 
30 DS Love&Berry 8700 925000 
37 DS PuyoPuyo 7800 143000 
43 Wii FE 6900 118000 
44 DS Kirby 7000 943000 
46 DS Girl's Side 6200 35000
47 DS Heroes of Mana 6100 30000 
48 DS Hotel Dusk 6000 179000 
53 Wii Zelda 5900 426000 
59 Wii Sonic 4700 16000 
66 DS るく 4200 10000 
82 Wii G1 Jockey 2600 9000 
83 DS FFIII 2600 1007000 
86 Wii DBZ 2500 117000 
87 DS Konami Arcade Collection(?) 2400 8600 
96 DS Etrian Odyssey 2000 76000 
99 PS2 祭 1900 102000 

97 PS3 VF5 1600 71000(3/12 ~ 3/18)
99 DS ナス 1500 46000(3/12 - 3/18)
Can someone explain to me how to read those numbers?

Top Bottom