• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/19 - 3/25

This thread prompted me to buy Blue Ocean Strategy yesterday. I finished it about an hour ago, and I have to say: wow. I didn't think that a book on business would be such a page turner.

This book should be mandatory reading for anyone in a management role. Heck, if I had my way, I'd make it mandatory reading for anyone who wants to post in Media Create or NPD threads.

Be nicer to Luke Smith, folks. When he trolls the Wii by saying that it will lose sales momentum once people see the difference between its graphical capabilities and those on the PS3/Xbox 360, he only does so because he doesn't know. He simply doesn't know about strategy canvases and why Nintendo needed to make the Wii hardware relatively weak in comparison to its competitors. He doesn't know the dire necessity of cutting out bleeding-edge power in a shrinking red ocean. If, after reading Blue Ocean Strategy, he still makes the same claims, it will be clear that he is nothing more than a high-profile Drinky Crow or drohne.

Once you read this book, it all becomes clear: the tech on the machines, the pricing, the software, the waggle, the marketing. What becomes equally clear is why the PS3 and Xbox 360 will both be outsold by the Wii in all markets globally. Yes, you read that correctly: I'm calling Japan, I'm calling the US, I'm calling Europe and all the PAL regions for Nintendo. They're the only ones with a divergent strategy canvas and they have successfully created a Blue Ocean.

On another note, it would seem that Nintendo don't plan on doing price drops any time soon. Blue Ocean products don't have the same pricing model as traditional tech products (i.e. start high and drop in price later), but rather start at a mass-market price and keep it for almost the entirety of the product life cycle. This is because, in order for the strategy to work, you have to hit the ground running. None of this pandering to early adopters and hoping the mass market will follow; you have to hit the mass market immediately and hard. If your product takes hold though, you can just sit back and watch the money roll in.

Buy Nintendo stock

Eteric Rice

vicious_killer_squirrel said:
This thread prompted me to buy Blue Ocean Strategy yesterday. I finished it about an hour ago, and I have to say: wow. I didn't think that a book on business would be such a page turner.

This book should be mandatory reading for anyone in a management role. Heck, if I had my way, I'd make it mandatory reading for anyone who wants to post in Media Create or NPD threads.

Be nicer to Luke Smith, folks. When he trolls the Wii by saying that it will lose sales momentum once people see the difference between its graphical capabilities and those on the PS3/Xbox 360, he only does so because he doesn't know. He simply doesn't know about strategy canvases and why Nintendo needed to make the Wii hardware relatively weak in comparison to its competitors. He doesn't know the dire necessity of cutting out bleeding-edge power in a shrinking red ocean. If, after reading Blue Ocean Strategy, he still makes the same claims, it will be clear that he is nothing more than a high-profile Drinky Crow or drohne.

Once you read this book, it all becomes clear: the tech on the machines, the pricing, the software, the waggle, the marketing. What becomes equally clear is why the PS3 and Xbox 360 will both be outsold by the Wii in all markets globally. Yes, you read that correctly: I'm calling Japan, I'm calling the US, I'm calling Europe and all the PAL regions for Nintendo. They're the only ones with a divergent strategy canvas and they have successfully created a Blue Ocean.

On another note, it would seem that Nintendo don't plan on doing price drops any time soon. Blue Ocean products don't have the same pricing model as traditional tech products (i.e. start high and drop in price later), but rather start at a mass-market price and keep it for almost the entirety of the product life cycle. This is because, in order for the strategy to work, you have to hit the ground running. None of this pandering to early adopters and hoping the mass market will follow; you have to hit the mass market immediately and hard. If your product takes hold though, you can just sit back and watch the money roll in.

Buy Nintendo stock

I love April fools day.

Eteric Rice

Believe!

I was serious about the book by the way. Everyone here should read it.

I see.

Well, does Blue Ocean say if game prices are allowed to drop? Because I know damn well 360 and PS3 games will drop in price eventually.

Tf53

Eteric Rice said:
I see.

Well, does Blue Ocean say if game prices are allowed to drop? Because I know damn well 360 and PS3 games will drop in price eventually.
Aren't Nintendo's games already cheaper? At least here in Finland 1st & 2nd party games are 45 euros compared to around 60 euros for 3rd parties at the moment.

I'm calling Japan, I'm calling the US, I'm calling Europe and all the PAL regions for Nintendo. They're the only ones with a divergent strategy canvas and they have successfully created a Blue Ocean.

I'm gonna give you USA, Japan and Europe but not every other PAL region. Nintendo doesn't have much of a presence in the much smaller markets. Not like they matter right now anyway, they are small fry compared to the three Blue Whales. Nintendo can focus on them once they got a tight hold on the industry.

Neomoto

Terrell said:
Speaking of which... does Korea offer any method of tracking game and console sales? I'd like to see how DS is selling there, in the land of cell phone games and MMOs. I've been watching Nintendo's move into Korea with vast interest, and I doubt Sales-Age would object to tracking the info.
Seems like it's doing great over there. Nintendo is about to launch the online service there as well, holding tradition to kick it off with Mario Kart. :) From the media that I've seen and heard Nintendo released a pretty good amount of their top tier titles over there and had a great add campaign. Plus they've got at least one very populair Korean developer on board that's been making Maple Story DS (the PC version is a very populair 2d sidescrolling MMO around the world). Oh, and iirc Nintendo even stationed a Nintendo of Korea over there. So it would seem that DS is doing great over there (and I heard that Wii would be launched there is a while too).

HyperionX said:
That era is going to end this gen. Japanese tastes have so fallen off the map relative to the western world it doesn't hold a tiny fraction of the sway it use too.
Please tell me you're joking.

30 DS Love&Berry 8700 925000
44 DS Kirby 7000 943000
Wow. How did Kirby Canvas Curse do in Japan?

Busaiku

Has Nintendo announced why they aren't really shipping very many copies of Twilight Princess to JPN?
Last week they sold about 900 less and that was 92% of their shipment, and this week they sell more, which I'm assuming to be a higher percentage of their shipment as well.
It seems there is demand for the game (I've said this in other Media-Creates though), but they just aren't shipping enough.

Hmm and at this rate, Goddess of Dawn might just be able to pass Path of Radiance.

DarkMehm

Busaiku said:
Has Nintendo announced why they aren't really shipping very many copies of Twilight Princess to JPN?
Last week they sold about 900 less and that was 92% of their shipment, and this week they sell more, which I'm assuming to be a higher percentage of their shipment as well.
It seems there is demand for the game (I've said this in other Media-Creates though), but they just aren't shipping enough.

Hmm and at this rate, Goddess of Dawn might just be able to pass Path of Radiance.

Well, it is not really a shortage when a game sells 5-6k a week and ~40k are still in the shops. There are enough copies shipped.

Haunted

Buy Nintendo stock
Lapsed??

j/k - I pretty much agree

LOCK

creamsugar said:
Media Create 3/19 ~ 3/25
30 DS Love&Berry 8700 925000 
Probably will reach a million.
43 Wii FE 6900 118000 
Pretty Good really. Atleast it has legs.
44 DS Kirby 7000 943000 
Probably will reach a million.
48 DS Hotel Dusk 6000 179000 
Amazing. See America, Japan does have taste.
53 Wii Zelda 5900 426000
Legs, legs, legs... 
59 Wii Sonic 4700 16000
Normal. 

Busaiku

DarkMehm said:
Well, it is not really a shortage when a game sells 5-6k a week and ~40k are still in the shops. There are enough copies shipped.
But see, like I stated, that's not the case (at least from what I'm seeing in 2Ch's reported numbers).
Although it does 5-6k, it's still selling over 90% of its shipment. If I remember correctly, the lowest shipment percentage it sold in a week was 88%, and that was a while ago.

goompapa

Busaiku said:

That 92% is a life to date sell trough %.
Unless a game absolutely bombs(not even selling the initial shipment), that number will always be somewhere above 90% over time. Publishers aren't stupid and won't ship a lot (if at all) if the game is not selling fast enough, allowing the sales to catch up with the shipment.

AniHawk

ZombieSupaStar said:
me too

its so depressing.

Especially considering how much the PS2 era sucked. I can't believe we'll have to endure at least 4 more years of the generation that brought us Metroid Prime and God of War. Bleh.

Busaiku

goompapa said:
That 92% is a life to date sell trough %.
Unless a game absolutely bombs(not even selling the initial shipment), that number will always be somewhere above 90% over time. Publishers aren't stupid and won't ship a lot (if at all) if the game is not selling fast enough, allowing the sales to catch up with the shipment.
Ahh, ok.
So if that's LTD, that makes it more reasonable I guess. I was under the impression that they were simply weekly.

KINGMOKU

AniHawk said:
Especially considering how much the PS2 era sucked. I can't believe we'll have to endure at least 4 more years of the generation that brought us Metroid Prime and God of War. Bleh.
Well, well, well.

The chicken has come home to roost.

jimbo

Banned

Buy Nintendo stock

Fascinating. But the ocean is not blue. It's made of water. Water is transparent.

AniHawk said:

its not that Id hate 360 or ps3 or Jesus Christ himself if they used motion controls.

83 DS FFIII 2600 1007000 

If you listen real hard, you can hear the folks at SE laughing.

96 DS Etrian Odyssey 2000 76000

Will it break 100K? Probably not.

Gotta keep hope alive, though. *lights a torch*

moku said:
Why? The whole concept disgust you?

Some people just hate them.

I just loathe them, drawing hearts to do uber tricks, doesnt make the game more fun to me, its just less precise and more annoying.

However Ill probably end up getting a Wii, I forsee not liking most of the games, but im sure theyll be a few that I want (MYsims and manhunt 2 currently), if its all waggle next gen for everyone, im bowing out, not trying to be dramatic but if you hate doing something why do it?

and in the end for every 1 of me there are 10 lapsed/mom/old people that will like it, and their money is just as green as mine.

AniHawk said:
This one's news to me. What game are you talking about?

Come again?

ssx blur

I like the sims, and motion control killing someone is a theme I can support.

*shrug* :D

anywho this thread is getting derailed so im out!

NeonZ

Mr. Pointy said:
Question: What's the highest selling SRW game in Japan? Is it MX on PS2?

It's SRW Alpha 1, for the Playstation, though I can't remember the exact numbers.

It introduced a completely new map graphical engine, with isometric sprites rather than just colored heads, full animation for the robots(many attacks in early games just showed an unchanging sprite moving across the screen), even though most were rather mediocre compared to the modern ones, even SRW J's (GBA) and W's(DS), had a big series list (20+) which notably included basically every anime that had ever appeared in SRW before, besides Grendizer as well as every UC series besides 8th MS team, the difficulty was lowered, varied missions became more common, and the storyline was rebooted and presented in a way that didn't make it incomprehensible for someone who hadn't watched every original anime or played previous SRWs, unlike the early SRWs.

Diablos54

I may be completely wrong with this, but isn't the sky actually black, it's just some crap during the day that mkaes it look blue?

But yea, this is a bit OT. :p

D.Lo

AniHawk said:
winnar6mp.jpg

Mr. Pointy said:
Question: What's the highest selling SRW game in Japan? Is it MX on PS2?

Super Robot Taisen Alpha (PS1) - 714.789
Super Robot Taisen Impact (PS2) - 632.536
Dai-3-Ji Super Robot Taisen Alpha: Syuuen no Ginga he (PS2) - 602.695
Super Robot Taisen Alpha Gaiden (PS1) - 545.832
Super Robot Taisen MX (PS2) - 520.701

on handhelds :
Super Robot Taisen R (GBA) - 285.314
Super Robot Taisen A (GBA) - 277.032
Super Robot Taisen W (DS) - 237.484
Super Robot Taisen D (GBA) - 199.607
Super Robot Taisen Compact (WS) - 143.729
Super Robot Taisen MX Portable (PSP) - 87.342

Reading Blue Ocean Strategy is *scary*.

I think everyone who fashions themselves a video game industry pundit does need to read it. It's written for busy executives, so it takes all of a few hours to go through it. And it's absolutely freaky how it illustrates why every one of the Wii's so-called "problems" are in fact crucial to its success.

The creepiest part of the whole thing is when it actually says point-blank that existing customers' needs will not be met by a blue ocean product, and that they might even go so far as to openly mock it.

That said, it's not like Nintendo went out, bought this book, then decided to restructure their company around it. Market-expanding products are as old as time, but the idea of a reliable strategy that you can execute to develop one -- not just leaving it to random chance -- is what's new.

When Nintendo talked this book up, they did it because it's an easy-to-digest distillation of the concept of disruptive technologies and market expansion (they always talked about The Innovator's Dilemma at the same time). It was never to suggest that they were themselves making this particular book the cornerstone of their company.

Top Bottom