• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/26 - 4/1

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
polg said:
so... it is "real" easter right now.

When is "japanese" easter happening? is nintendo launching anything special for the wii/ds?

Super Paper Mario and Big Brain Academy for the Wii. Think it might be the nail in the coffin...

Xristot said:
BTW, this is a bit off topic, but i swear that thing on the side of the bowl looks like a used condom. :lol
LOL I noticed that too :lol :lol :lol

sorry for the OT, guyz. It ends here. ^^

Evlar

Banned
polg said:
so... it is "real" easter right now.

When is "japanese" easter happening? is nintendo launching anything special for the wii/ds?
Golden Week, April 29 thru May 5-ish. Nintendo and third parties are releasing, among other things:

Super Paper Mario, April 22
Big Brain Academy Wii, April 29-ish
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, April 26

There shall be money flowing EVERYwhere.

moku said:
No, the DS exploded becuase of a combination of events.

No it was the Lite. All the way up to and including May 2006 PSP was beating DS on a monthly basis and slowly but surely cutting into the lead. Nintendogs, Brain Age and NSMB were all released and still PSP was on a course to catch up.

DS Lite came out, sold something like 600k it's launch month and the system has not been sub 200k since i believe. It's quite obvious DS Lite saved Nintendo in America.

But let's get back on topic, this is a Japanese thread. Sorry.

EDIT - Went a bit extreme.

The Sphinx said:
Golden Week, April 29 thru May 5-ish. Nintendo and third parties are releasing, among other things:

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, April 29-ish

That's like...wow, man, it's art or something. :eek:

My Chemical Mouse said:
In the US it was.

Actually, I thought the upswing started when New Super Mario Bros. was released, which was incidentally just a few weeks before the release of the DS Lite in the US.

So it could really go either way, but you'd have to look at hardware data for those months to infer anything. And in any case, it would just be an educated guess. But I wouldn't exactly say that the DS was even remotely in the same position the PS3 is in currently. But that's just opinion at that point.

Scum

The Sphinx said:

I think it's high time a NeoGaffer photoshopped a Square-Enix exec into the itprintsmoney.gif! :lol

Link

The Autumn Wind
Wasn't there a report about SE only shipping 500k copies of FFXII:RW? That's probably a big mistake.

The Sphinx said:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

schuelma

Alkaliine said:
WOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

It's going to be a bloodbath. If I remember correctly, PS3 has Madden coming out to combat it :lol :lol

schuelma

My Chemical Mouse said:
Anyone else think Big Brain Academy Wii won't sell nearly as well as it did on handhelds ala Pokemon.

I don't think anyone really knows. I think it will sell very very well though. It seems like a Wii Sports/ Wii Play type game which the Japanese are eating up.

Mar

The Sphinx said:

Excuse my ignorance (I don't like FF games so haven't been following). Is RW out on DS or Wii?

KINGMOKU

My Chemical Mouse said:
No it was the Lite. All the way up to and including May 2006 PSP was beating DS on a monthly basis and slowly but surely cutting into the lead. Nintendogs, Brain Age and NSMB were all released and still PSP was on a course to catch up.

DS Lite came out, sold something like 600k it's launch month and the system has not been sub 200k since i believe. It's quite obvious DS Lite saved Nintendo in America.

But let's get back on topic, this is a Japanese thread. Sorry.

EDIT - Went a bit extreme.
No. It was not. It was a combination of events.

wolves-08copy.jpg

Evlar

Banned
It's true, we don't know how well Big Brain Academy Wii and Super Paper Mario will do. I think they will do very well and prove that the successful properties from the DS can be carried over to the Wii. If they do poorly it will be a significant warning to everyone watching the Japanese market.

schuelma

Satter said:
what was that about PS3 narrowing the gap with the Wii's lead?

It's only a 3-1 ratio this week! Last week it was 4-1!! Nintendo is DOOMED :lol

Jiggy

My Chemical Mouse said:
Anyone else think Big Brain Academy Wii won't sell nearly as well as it did on handhelds ala Pokemon.
I think it might just sell better. No competition from alternate brain games, less competition from other games period, and the great multiplayer may be an easier sell when only one system is needed.
Of course, that last aspect is a bit of a double-edged sword as well, since it'd be less likely that one household would own two copies of BBA, but the others seem to hold.

Satter

Banned
schuelma said:
It's only a 3-1 ratio this week! Last week it was 4-1!! Nintendo is DOOMED :lol

Yeah, I checked the LTD numbers for both the PS3 and the Wii in Japan and I'm curious how they got 2-1.

KINGMOKU

Xisiqomelir said:
Is panther coming back soon? :(
I thought he was permabanned. I have never taken up the torch for another poster before, but Panther did a lot of good around here. He did go a little off the deep end, but hell, who hasnt around here? It's crazy times we be livin' in.

justchris

So we've got Software, Hardware, Vinnk's Village Report, JJS & PL's respective analyses...where's PureAuthor's fanfic? That's all we need to make this MC thread complete.

Oh...as for commenting on numbers...slow week.

moku said:
I thought he was permabanned. I have never taken up the torch for another poster before, but Panther did a lot of good around here. He did go a little off the deep end, but hell, who hasnt around here? It's crazy times we be livin' in.

Anyone have a link that shows when he got banned? I never saw what he did to get banned.

schuelma

moku said:

I think someone else said Panther told him it was a month long ban.

As I was looking at these latest hardware numbers, this question occured to me: Why is the 360 selling as much as it is?

It's sort of been taken for granted for a little while now that it's holding steady. Seems like it should be dwindly farther down at this point (after the Xbox 1 pattern, unless I'm wrong on that). Is it because of Blue Dragon, after all? Or, what?

Brak

Great Rumbler said:
Come on, now. That's grade-A spin if I've ever seen it.

"PS3 sales are completely terrible in Japan, but that's okay because it's a Bluray player as well and it'll last 2-3 years until the price is lower and then it'll be rebranded for GREAT SUCCESS! Just like the DS!"

And the last part is really absurd. The DS wasn't miraculously saved by the Lite. The Lite was simply the extra boost it needed to propel it into the upper atmosphere. Remember Christmas '05? That was DS Phat.
I'm not going to speak for Donny but you are extrapolating a lot of stuff that he did not say. The rebranding of the DS has been an important part of its success and he was just using that as an example for how Sony could salvage the PS3 trainwreck. He didn't say anything about the DSL "saving the DS", so that's just a silly.

I don't think that he was saying that "PS3 sales are ok" either, just that Sony could potentially find a way to rebound.

Brak said:
I'm not going to speak for Donny but you are extrapolating a lot of stuff that he did not say. The rebranding of the DS has been an important part of its success and he was just using that as an example for how Sony could salvage the PS3 trainwreck. He didn't say anything about the DSL "saving the DS", so that's just a silly.

I don't think that he was saying that "PS3 sales are ok" either, just that Sony could potentially find a way to rebound.

Rebranding helped make an okay-to-good DS into a even bigger phenomenon, but it's pretty big stretch to say that several years down the road a rebranding could save a PS3 that's struggling to manage more than 15K units a week.

It's bad, real bad. And it doesn't look likes it going to get better anytime soon. See, what the PS3 needs isn't a new name or a slightly different shell, no, what it needs is really good games that are just absolutely huge. MGS4 might come out late this year, although that's not certain, but Metal Gear isn't really that big in Japan to begin with. Secondly, there's FFXIII, but that doesn't come out until sometime NEXT year.

Simply put, if the PS3 has to wait several years to make an attempt at success, that's far too long. If resources start to shift in a big way to the Wii and the Xbox360, it'll take a huge miracle to bring them back.

just drop the ****** price sony! i don´t want to live again with the losing console and i want no part in the waggle world. oh god, i´m having saturn nightmares...

seriously, if they drop the price, it´s a huge loss for the company, if they don´t drop the price, it´s a huge loss for the company. poor kazuo hirai, i bet he can´t sleep thesedays

schuelma

seattle6418 said:
just drop the ****** price sony! i don´t want to live again with the losing console and i want no part in the waggle world. oh god, i´m having saturn nightmares...

seriously, if they drop the price, it´s a huge loss for the company, if they don´t drop the price, it´s a huge loss for the company. poor kazuo hirai, i bet he can´t sleep thesedays

Hasn't the price already been dropped in Japan?

seattle6418 said:

and they need to drop the PS2. The landscape will change a lot once it's a 3 console horse race.

schuelma

60_gig_PS3 said:
and they need to drop the PS2. The landscape will change a lot once it's a 3 console horse race.

Even if every single person who bought a PS2 last week bought a PS3, they still wouldn't be close to the Wii.

Eteric Rice

60_gig_PS3 said:

Yeah, all PS2 games that were being worked on will flood to the Wii.

Come on, Sony, do it!

Top Bottom