• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/5 - 3/11

apujanata

.dmc said:
01. (NDS, Level 5) Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village - 136,736 / NEW (2/12-2/18)
05. (NDS, Level 5) Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village - 49,979 / 186,716 (2/19-2/25)
05. (NDS, Level 5) Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village - 33,957 / 220,673 (2/26-3/4)
03. (NDS, Level 5) Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village - 45,344 / 266,017 (3/5-3/11)

Seems to be selling as much as they can print? Congrats to Level 5!

Other sales data of Level 5 Game (from Moor Angol's website) :
Rogue Galaxy
First Week : 213.289
FW percent : 60,85%
LTD : 350.490

PS : I am now playing Rogue Galaxy, English version. very interesting game.

Yeah, I think it was Crash...unless Ratchet and Clank made it. Western games do so-so over in Japan for the most part, if they even get released. It's a real testament to how diversely good GTA is that it sells as well there as it does.

linsivvi

miguel_c_hammer said:
And since when is Monster Hunter a new franchise?

First game came out in 04. I'd say it's still pretty new.

miguel_c_hammer said:
Does Capcom really do any more new franchises than your typical Japanese publisher?

Let's see, last gen they had Onimusha, Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Monster Hunter, Sengoku Basara, Maximo, Phoenix Wright. I've only included games with at least 2 games released, ignoring licensed series like the Gundam VS games, or side franchises like Megaman EXE. So yeah, I'd say they do create more new *franchises* than pretty much all Japanese publishers.

miguel_c_hammer said:
In fact, don't they have a reputation for making lots and lots of sequels, some with very modest improvements at best?

They do have this reputation, and justified. But then again, when you invest so much in new IPs that don't necessarily reward you financially (ie Okami, Shadow or Rome, Killer 7, etc), you better damn hell make sure you milk the one that do as much as you could.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Cheesemeister said:
Methinks adding the upcoming week's games is a much more important feature. =P
It would make the OP post too long, unless it's just some highlights.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
jj984jj said:
I think your right. I like the idea but not in the first post. Maybe post them sometime around the first set of bans so that people have something to talk about before the hardware numbers hit.

I'm kind of growing tired of the boxart for the top 5. I think thumbnail screenshots would be more interesting.

linsivvi

Sad to say that Gundam Musou will drop off quickly next week. At least it's got a higher LTD than Super Robot Wars and reached 200K.

Unfortunately, when the new PS2 Musou release next week, it will really, really make Gundam Musou's sales look bad.

apujanata

jj984jj said:

If the list is limited to one week ahead only, the list should not be too long. The list can also be limited to Top 3 only, if there are more than 3 games for a certain platform (like DS, PS2).

Future release is interesting, since it will help with predicting next week sales, or next week Top 10 :).

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
What if he leaves the original post dedicated to only software/hardware charts and then reserves the second post for Pac-man, future releases, and boxart/etc...

Vinnk

linsivvi said:
Sad to say that Gundam Musou will drop off quickly next week. At least it's got a higher LTD than Super Robot Wars and reached 200K.

Unfortunately, when the new PS2 Musou release next week, it will really, really make Gundam Musou's sales look bad.

What would REALLY make Gundam Musou look bad is if Sengoku Musou Wave on the Wii outsold it. I don't personally see that happening but I would love to read the GAF thread if it did... :lol

Cheesemeister, I thought you were good people. But now I find you're on good terms with Daylight Saving Time? This changes things.

TTP said:
Sorry, dont read this as an attempt to start a polemic, but can someone please explain me what's so awesome about Yoshi's Island DS 1st week sales? Aren't they lower than Monster Hunter portable 2 1st week sales (around 700.000 IIRC). Shouldnt they be higher considered the DS installed base?
I was sort of wondering the same. I guess I'm a bit desensitized due to DS's other huge hits, but compared to, say, New Super Mario Bros., it's 1/3 of the first week sales with double the user base. Then again, comparing almost any game to NSMB is just asking for it to look bad.

Anyway... I know the new hardware numbers aren't until tomorrow, but I may as well post these now rather than later. I thought it would be interesting to compare Wii and PS3 with their predecessors, matching up the time of year rather than directly comparing launch week to launch week and so on.

PS2 (Fam) vs PS3 (Fam), adjusted for time of year, weekly
PS2 (Fam) vs PS3 (Fam), adjusted for time of year, cumulative

PS2 (Fam) vs PS3 (MC), adjusted for time of year, weekly
PS2 (Fam) vs PS3 (MC), adjusted for time of year, cumulative

GCN (Fam) vs Wii (Fam), adjusted for time of year, weekly
GCN (Fam) vs Wii (Fam), adjusted for time of year, cumulative

GCN (Fam) vs Wii (MC), adjusted for time of year, weekly
GCN (Fam) vs Wii (MC), adjusted for time of year, cumulative

justchris

Vinnk said:
What would REALLY make Gundam Musou look bad is if Sengoku Musou Wave on the Wii outsold it. I don't personally see that happening but I would love to read the GAF thread if it did... :lol

If that happens, I am totally blaming you for the downfall of gaming.

linsivvi

seattle6418 said:
why? banned for not being a nintendo fanboy?

More like being banned for being an idiot, spilling bs without knowing what you're talking about.

The only Japanese gamers who can't name a baseball player in real life are those who are not old enough to speak, or mutes.

I know that what I'm about to ask is rather big, but...

Is there any way to create a graph just charting the top sellers per week over the past, say 2-4 years? No names, just numbers.

I started lurking here last December which is when the DS Sales Charts started. I have no idea how games sold before. It just occurred to me that it'd be interesting to see how the sales of the best game per week fluctuated.

I'd expect a steady decline, with the #1 game each week declining slowly, with some spikes, then getting a massive boost with the advent of the DS phenomenon in Japan, boosting the average of the #1 game to 100k+

linsivvi said:
More like being banned for being an idiot, spilling bs without knowing what you're talking about.

The only Japanese gamers who can't name a baseball player in real life are those who are not old enough to speak, or mutes.

well, i already explained myself better and apologize earlier, its on last page

Cheesemeister said:
09. (WII, Nintendo) Wii Play - 26,340 / 1,002,628
Achievement Unlocked:
Nongameseal.jpg

I, also, want to see FFIII numbers. =(

medrew

seattle6418 said:
but for a game like call of duty? (i know call of duty was a stupid port, but everybody here understood the point, right?)

Huh? I thought the Wiimote worked fantastically with CoD. Well, aside from the gimmick stuff like setting bombs, but the main game play element of aiming with it gave me a fresh take on all the WWII games. I still play it even now because it is ridiculous amounts of fun after you've customized the sensitivity to your liking. In fact I'm going to go and boot it up right now and play a few missions.

(It needs online, though :( )

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
ComputerNerd said:
Those types of games never become successes on consoles, compared to their portable bretherin.

Pokemon was never able to cross the gap.

Pokemon isn't a good example at all really. All the console games but 1 have been in no way similar to the handheld pokemon games. And even the one RPG Pokemon game they had wasn't all that similar. I think if they gave a larger world, possible extra pokemon to download over time, a good online element, but kept the experience similar to handheld, you'd see better results. BUT some things automatically give the handheld versions the edge. The ability to take it with you everywhere and just battle and capture pokemon on the go. (Grinding to me is really nice on handhelds, which is why I liked FFIII so much).

Of course, an MMO style with PC gym leaders and gym clans, and people trying to reach higher ranks would probably help. Give people the anime experience on a console, and it would probably pass the handheld versions.

Juwanna Peezadis said:
I, also, want to see FFIII numbers. =(

It's been doing 2500 to 3500 for the past 5 weeks. Last week it was at 999,000. It only needed to do a thousand. Unless it suddenly ran out of stock, or a virus killed off all potential buyers for the week, it passed 1 million. But if it makes you feel better.

FFIII 3000 - 1,002,000

*tosses confetti*

I made those numbers up but they are probably right

FlightOfHeaven said:
I know that what I'm about to ask is rather big, but...

Is there any way to create a graph just charting the top sellers per week over the past, say 2-4 years? No names, just numbers.

I started lurking here last December which is when the DS Sales Charts started. I have no idea how games sold before. It just occurred to me that it'd be interesting to see how the sales of the best game per week fluctuated.

I'd expect a steady decline, with the #1 game each week declining slowly, with some spikes, then getting a massive boost with the advent of the DS phenomenon in Japan, boosting the average of the #1 game to 100k+

It's an honest suggestion, but I don't find the data resulting from it to be too notable. It relies too heavily on outliers (you'll see spikes for big releases). I'm sure there are better ways to parse the data over the years to obtain something of merit... but I'm not the one to come up with it, especially at this hour!

Mar

So tomorrow we get MC hardware numbers AND NPD... I obviously won't get any work done.

NPD delayed by 2 days prediction

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
where the hell did that seattle guy come from? he sure as heck came out of the GAF Woodwork to start up the first of 3 shitstorms this thread will inevitably have.

cvxfreak

If we don't get leaks from Media Create this week, then keep an eye out for the description. They might mention in passing FFIII breaking a million like they did with Tetris DS.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
How could new/expensive consoles see their sales take off with the DS taking all Japanese money already?

cvxfreak

marc^o^ said:
How could new/expensive consoles see their sales take off with the DS taking all Japanese money already?

DS prints money
Goes to stockholders, Nintendo employees, stores, etc.
Stockholders, employees, store owners, etc. buy stuff, eat at restaurants, donate to the poor, pay taxes
buy Wiis and more DS games

moku said:
Man, I'm thinking of making a "mc thread stupid argument poster" mario-type chart.
Can someone just update and post the mario chart instead? I know I've asked on several occasions before, so I won't be surprised if this request falls upon deaf ears once again.

and why not update the pokemon one too while you're at it(or not), ?

JoshuaJSlone said:
Cheesemeister, I thought you were good people. But now I find you're on good terms with Daylight Saving Time? This changes things.

More accurately, Japan isn't on good terms with Daylight Saving Time. We all sprang forward one hour on Sunday while Japan didn't. So by the time the appointed MC hour came along on Wednesday, the numbers magically weren't posted and everyone was wondering why... They went up during the typical window in Standard Time reckoning, and this will continue to be the case until DST ends in the fall. Unless.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
I'm late.

Last year:

01 NDS Animal Crossing WW - 81,850 (2,116,873)
02 NDS Brain Age 2 - 70,950 (1,504,507)
03 PS2 Sengoku Musou 2 (Samurai Warrior) - 48,632 (473,577)
04 NDS English Training - 42,378 (616,806)
05 NDS Brain Age - 40,904 (1,682,878)
06 PS2 Gundam Climax UC - 33,819 (190,855)
07 NDS Seiken Densetsu CHILDREN of MANA - 26,571 (129,126)
08 PSP Valkyrie Profile Lenneth - 20,826 (90,910)
09 NDS Mario Kart DS - 19,452 (1,171,181)
10 PSP Monster Hunter Portable - 17,282 (558,134)

DSL 89,790
DS 48,947
PSP 40,091
PS2 22,476
GBASP 4,235
GBM 3,020
GC 1,360
Xbox360 1,296
GBA 65
Xbox 63

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90807

cvxfreak

Cheesemeister said:
More accurately, Japan isn't on good terms with Daylight Saving Time. We all sprang forward one hour on Sunday while Japan didn't. So by the time the appointed MC hour came along on Wednesday, the numbers magically weren't posted and everyone was wondering why... They went up during the typical window in Standard Time reckoning, and this will continue to be the case until DST ends in the fall. Unless.

Japan had once adopted DST, but only under the American occupation, and as soon as they left, DST was dropped. I wish they'd clung onto it. I think it's great.

But yeah, I guess we'll end up with MCs an hour later from now on (I thought it was an hour earlier -- my mistake).

Terrell

cvxfreak said:
Japan had once adopted DST, but only under the American occupation, and as soon as they left, DST was dropped. I wish they'd clung onto it. I think it's great.

But yeah, I guess we'll end up with MCs an hour later from now on (I thought it was an hour earlier -- my mistake).
I've never understood what the big deal is with DST. I live in a place that doesn't observe it (because the time zone divide carves almost exactly down the center of the province and directly through one of the province's most populated cities, which is just too much hassle to deal with) and I've survived a good 24 years without it. Only thing it screws up for me is watching American TV channels since I don't know when DST changes unless, like this year, people make a big stink about it. It seems sort of superficial and just don't see the point to it.

Yeah... looking forward to hardware numbers tomorrow, but in the meantime, what are next week's big releases?

Oh, and it seems I was right that Fire Emblem had enough legs to stick around on the chart. I stand by my previous prediction of Children of Mana-esque legs: not great, but good enough to stay on the chart for a while.

cvxfreak

Terrell said:
I've never understood what the big deal is with DST. I live in a place that doesn't observe it (because the time zone divide carves almost exactly down the center of the province and directly through one of the province's most populated cities, which is just too much hassle to deal with) and I've survived a good 24 years without it. Only thing it screws up for me is watching American TV channels since I don't know when DST changes unless, like this year, people make a big stink about it.

Just my personal late bloomer preference. I can understand why others hate it. For example many of my night classes are timed as such because older students tend to work during the day. So classes starting in the dark doesn't really boost my confidence much. Having the sun out during the first half of class gets me started better.

justchris

Didn't Europe get Sonic last week? I find it odd that Japan is getting it last. I think that should pull pretty good numbers, but likely won't take top spot. Spectrobes is the only other thing on the new game list that looks like it could take number one, and I'm not sure what to gauge it's sales by.

Layton's legs continue to surprise me.

cvxfreak

justchris said:
Didn't Europe get Sonic last week? I find it odd that Japan is getting it last. I think that should pull pretty good numbers, but likely won't take top spot. Spectrobes is the only other thing on the new game list that looks like it could take number one, and I'm not sure what to gauge it's sales by.

Layton's legs continue to surprise me.

Japan is by far Sonic's weakest region. Sonic's almost a non-factor there nowadays.

Kenka

It may seem a bit disappointing but it is true. Sonic has (regarding Sonic DS sales) lost all its gems in Japan.

However we can count on a solid performance - around 20'000 copies sold during the week.

Bebpo said:
Wow, I just noticed that Power Smash 3 (VT3) did less than Heroes of Mana, which reportedly did 10k.

Virtua Tennis selling 5-8k = SEGA BOMBA. Maybe they should've included ONLINE...stupid AM3 @_@
who am I kidding, with online it would've sold 9k instead of 8k. Game needed to be on the DS
Yeah as a Sega fan you got to feel bad for them. VF5, VT3, and it seems both are more than solid titles. I just hope Sonic Wii pulls some decent numbers.

Top Bottom