• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/5 - 3/11

Woah, Pokemon is dropping like a rock. Looks like it won't be passing R/B after all :(

Prof Layton has some nice legs as does MHP2, also surprising to see Gundam still in the top 10, thought it was gonna bomb.

Jokeropia

Nuclear Muffin said:
Woah, Pokemon is dropping like a rock. Looks like it won't be passing R/B after all :(
Pokemon is actually selling pretty consistently and is still in the top ten if you combine the SKUs. (By Famitsu's tracking anyway.)
TTP said:
ah ok. Which DS game sold the most on its 1st week? How much did it sell? Was is Super Mario DS perhaps?
People have already answered, but in case you were wondering about exact numbers Pokemon D/P sold 1.6 million first week.

EDIT: it also makes you look totally ignorant when you call kick-ass people like Segata, cvxfreak, AniHawk, Ethelred, Error, and other awesome sales-age posters "fanboys".

Don't mind me, I'll just be sitting over... there, sulking.

gconsole

miguel_c_hammer said:
If Capcom has an "egalitarian" approach, they sure have a funny way of showing it. They published about 4 times as many games for PS2 as for GC and XBox combined. Nearly every game they've brought to PSP has been either a port or a remake of an old game.

And since when is Monster Hunter a new franchise? Does Capcom really do any more new franchises than your typical Japanese publisher? In fact, don't they have a reputation for making lots and lots of sequels, some with very modest improvements at best?

Capcom do made a lot of sequels, but it's one of the company that try to create new ip as much as possible too. Capcom has a lot of popular franchises (which can be called as the success). Their next/new generation started with already successed 2 new ips 'Lost Planet' and 'Dead Rising' when their friends are still working on Final Fantasy 100 and Metal Gear Solid 30 :).

Fredescu said:
There's no such thing as an OP that's too big. More info = better than.
True.
Why are people whining abou too long OP's? There are forums where the OP's take more than half of the first page. Good lay-out, massive amount of info, and you don't have to search through a thread or ask someone for info.

ksamedi

gconsole said:
Capcom do made a lot of sequels, but it's one of the company that try to create new ip as much as possible too. Capcom has a lot of popular franchises (which can be called as the success). Their next/new generation started with already successed 2 new ips 'Lost Planet' and 'Dead Rising' when their friends are still working on Final Fantasy 100 and Metal Gear Solid 30 :).

Konami has many new IPs, and Square is working on some for the DS at the moment (and surely for the Wii/PS3 too). Capcom is working on Resident evil 50 too you know, i dont think Capcom deserves all the credit for producing new IP when most of the time they create sequals and ports.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
RubxQub said:
WiiPlay @ 1 mil

Madness...

THIS IS JAPAN!

This is really getting old, isn't it?

splattergnome said:
Just a few comments about the DS/Wii games...

WII
Sonic and the Secret Rings <--Good chances for top 10?

I don't think so. Sonic doesn't sell well in Japan.

ksamedi said:
Konami has many new IPs, and Square is working on some for the DS at the moment (and surely for the Wii/PS3 too). Capcom is working on Resident evil 50 too you know, i dont think Capcom deserves all the credit for producing new IP when most of the time they create sequals and ports.

Did you miss the lists detailing the number of new IPs Capcom churned out last generation? And that their two forerunning IPs on the X360 are new ones?

I mean, if you don't like Capcom, fine, but to accuse Capcom of all companies of sequelitis is pushing it a bit.

Wyndstryker said:
Now which one lasts longer...

SRW or Gundam Musou...

SRW, by sheer virtue of a larger install base to pull from.

Even if Musou drives up the hardware adoption for the week, it will still have reached its saturation point.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Pureauthor said:
I mean, if you don't like Capcom, fine, but to accuse Capcom of all companies of sequelitis is pushing it a bit.

megaman.jpg

ksamedi

Pureauthor said:
Did you miss the lists detailing the number of new IPs Capcom churned out last generation? And that their two forerunning IPs on the X360 are new ones?

Yes i do like Capcom but to say they are producing lots of new IP compared to other developers is not true. Capcom is like any other Japanese or Western developer, if a game sells well, they will create a sequal and milk it till it stops selling and then create a new IP.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Pureauthor said:
...And you're basing this on the actions of them regarding a single franchise?

The defense rests.

Wikipedia said:
There are currently over 100 titles in the Mega Man series, according to Capcom's official sales data. This figure is more than the number of titles in the Street Fighter and Resident Evil franchises combined.

Single franchise or not, thats a lot of sequels! :lol

By the way, I love Capcom games. They make great games and I've been loving them too, plus I study their 16-bit pixel pieces religiously as part of my pixel art training for work. But they're hardly the bastions of original IPs that you claim them to be. Bear in mind that Viewtiful Joe was getting sequels out of the wazoo for a short period of time too.

linsivvi

ksamedi said:

Oh please, Square??? What new IP is Square working on the DS aside from It's a Wonderful World? You are not saying FFXII, FFCC, FFT, Front Mission, Mana, DQ, etc new IPs, right?

What major new IP has Square created during the past generation? Aside from Kingdom Hearts, which is as much of a new IP as Namco vs Capcom, the only notable original games I can recall are Radiata Stories, Drakengard and gosh, the Bouncer, and none of them are hardly in the caliber of the Capcom franchises created during the past generation.

ksamedi said:
Yes i do like Capcom but to say they are producing lots of new IP compared to other developers is not true. Capcom is like any other Japanese or Western developer, if a game sells well, they will create a sequal and milk it till it stops selling and then create a new IP.

Like I said before, they are indeed milking their successful franchises like there's no tomorrow but they are also creating a lot of new ones. New IPs are always a big risk, so when their new IPs become successful, of course they would milk them. How else do you think they recover from the bombed new IPs (i.e. Clover and most of the Gamecube 5)?

Sample of new IPs created in just the past few years alone: God Hand, Okami, Killers 7, Sengoku Basara, Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Monster Hunter, Haunting Ground, Shadow of Rome, Red Dead Revolver. I haven't even included the the early last-gen stuff. To say that they are not producing lots of new IP compared to most developers is definitely wrong.

Kafel

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
SRW, by sheer virtue of a larger install base to pull from.

Even if Musou drives up the hardware adoption for the week, it will still have reached its saturation point.

Sadly, no.

The new Gundam announced for DS ( in the last "Japan news" topic ) will quickly replace this one seeing how complete it looks.

LOCK

Prof. Layton brings a smile to my face. 500k is a lock. :)

Also wow at the DS overall, and I wonder at how good FE and FF3 did.

D.Lo

medrew said:
Huh? I thought the Wiimote worked fantastically with CoD. Well, aside from the gimmick stuff like setting bombs, but the main game play element of aiming with it gave me a fresh take on all the WWII games. I still play it even now because it is ridiculous amounts of fun after you've customized the sensitivity to your liking. In fact I'm going to go and boot it up right now and play a few missions.
I was about to post the same thing. The gimmicky stuff was lame (like the bombs as you said, but also grenades didn't work so well), but the main FPS controls were great, and so involved that playing with sticks seems alien now. Aiming a sniper rifle was amazing, the melee attack felt very realistic, and changing guns by flicking the nunchuck left and right felt great too - just like you were grabbing the gun from your hip.

One note for anyone playing it though - the first thing you should do is turn off the 'dynamic aiming' option, which makes the look mode all floaty (think Lost Planet). After that all it takes is a little practice.

EDIT: Sorry it's off topic, but just mentioning my opinion on the 'Wii FPS are still wait and see' thing a page or so back.

ethelred

DeaconKnowledge said:
Not To mention DMC.

Wait, you're using Devil May Cry as evidence that Capcom does nothing but milk old franchises? That's pretty funny given that it was one of the many, many new franchises they created just on the PS2 and went on to become one of their biggest franchises -- along with Onimusha, which was another one of their new franchises last gen.

What other company continually finds their greatest successes in each new gen by franchises they just created?

ksamedi said:
Konami has many new IPs, and Square is working on some for the DS at the moment (and surely for the Wii/PS3 too).

Square Enix has a single new franchise so far for the DS. I'm not going to give them the credit of benefit of the doubt in assuming they have more for the DS, PS3, or Wii until they unveil them. As opposed to Capcom, who's already begun Stock Trader Shun, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Treasure Island Z...

ksamedi said:

They are producing lots of new franchises:

ethelred said:
Yes, the company's pretty much proven that they don't intend to rely solely on old brands (even though those continue to be successful) and they have strived to create a lot of strong new franchises each generation. Devil May Cry, Sengoku Basara, Onimusha, Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, Okami, Viewtiful Joe, Godhand, El Dorado Gate, Chaos Legion, Auto Modellista, Shadow of Rome, and on and on... all of these were created just during the PS2/GC/XB/DC/GBA era.

Moving into next gen, their two marquee titles so far have both been new franchises. And they just unveiled another new one for Wii, with Inafune set to unveil one more.

But I guess Final Fantasy XCVIM is pretty new, too.

Sequelitis is when one create sequel after sequel to already existing franchises without bothering with new franchises. Capcom is most certainly not guilty of that.

ethelred said:
Wait, you're using Devil May Cry as evidence that Capcom does nothing but milk old franchises? That's pretty funny given that it was one of the many, many new franchises they created just on the PS2 and went on to become one of their biggest franchises -- along with Onimusha, which was another one of their new franchises last gen.

The argument was that Capcom only milked one franchise in Megaman, I pointed to two others. Nothing more than that.

Yes Capcom makes alot of sequels, but they also create alot of new successful franchise. Getting a sequel for a new IP (Dead Rising) is better than getting a sequel for an old IP (Castlevania) sorry Konami :lol

D.Lo

Both sides have make good points about Capcom.

But isn't the truth both?

They're one of the biggest franchise milkers of all - even releasing half finished games like Street Fighter Alpha 1 simply so they can get an extra upgrade into the franchise, and rushing DMC2 out to establish it as a new IP, even though it actually hurt it.

But they're also one of the best and most consistent new IP creators as well.

ethelred

DeaconKnowledge said:
The argument was that Capcom only milked one franchise in Megaman, I pointed to two others. Nothing more than that.

Devil May Cry has been milked, eh? So any time a new IP is turned into a new franchise to add to the company's library, instead of just a new standalone title, that's milking? 3 games! Milked! I guess Devil May Cry can join other milked franchises like Fallout, Dark Cloud, and Valkyrie Profile.

AdmiralViscen said:
While Capcom creates lots of new franchises, they are certainly a sequelitis sort of company.

Every publisher releases sequels. It's a reality of the business. The questions are: is your portfolio solely defined by franchises released in multiply prior generations? are you actually reliant almost completely on the sequels to old games? are serious efforts being taken at franchise refreshing/renewal? is there a demonstrated dedication to creating new franchises to balance out (or exceed the old)?

Pureauthor said:
Sequelitis is when one create sequel after sequel to already existing franchises without bothering with new franchises. Capcom is most certainly not guilty of that.

So we forgive GRAW2 because Assassin's Creed, Red Steel, BG&E, etc were developed?

I don't think language is as stiff as you think it is, especially when it comes up to made-up words. Capcom can be a company that makes new IPs while still being a company that makes lots of sequels.

ethelred said:
Every publisher releases sequels. It's a reality of the business. The questions are: is your portfolio solely defined by franchises released in multiply prior generations? are you actually reliant almost completely on the sequels to old games? are serious efforts being taken at franchise refreshing/renewal? is there a demonstrated dedication to creating new franchises to balance out (or exceed the old)?

It was my understanding that it referred not just to the dependency on sequels, but the frequency, and the amount of innovation that goes into each sequel. Look at MMBN, yearly sequels with few updates. EA gets slammed with the sequelitis label for doing that with Madden, despite releasing new IPs.

The fact is Capcom wouldn't be drilling out sequels and remixes of so many games if it wasn't padding their bottom line. I'm sure Mega Man whoring is very important to their business model.

There is no developer on Earth that is 'solely defined' by sequels. Every company has new IPs.

For easy reference:

Sequelitis companies:

Nintendo
Square-Enix

Non-sequelitis companies:

Atlus
Capcom
Level 5

So we forgive GRAW2 because Assassin's Creed, Red Steel, BG&E, etc were developed?

Lemme think about that for a sec - oh, yeah.

Yes. Yes, we do.

I don't think language is as stiff as you think it is, especially when it comes up to made-up words. Capcom can be a company that makes new IPs while still being a company that makes lots of sequels.

Every company in gaming releases lots of sequels. The difference is whether or not new IPS are created at a steady pace.

Pureauthor said:
For easy reference:

Sequelitis companies:

Nintendo
Square-Enix

Non-sequelitis companies:

Atlus
Capcom

Um no.

Street Fighter, Mega Man and Resident Evil alone are evidence of milked franchises. Hell, I would argue that outside of the Mario IP, Mega Man is the most milked franchise ever.

I concede Devil May Cry.

Defuser

D.Lo said:
Both sides have make good points about Capcom.

But isn't the truth both?

They're one of the biggest franchise milkers of all - even releasing half finished games like Street Fighter Alpha 1 simply so they can get an extra upgrade into the franchise, and rushing DMC2 out to establish it as a new IP, even though it actually hurt it.

But they're also one of the best and most consistent new IP creators as well.
No,they milk Megaman ,mStreet fighter and Resident Evil like there no tomorrow,every year heck even few months later there would be alternate universe/spin offs/reiterations/upgrades/remakes relating to them. So far the new ip from PS2 to next gen have been taken some time to create and most of the it's good quality(DMC2 was a exception of course being tsuyoshi tanaka was a idiot) and doesn't considered milking by the extent.

ksamedi

Im just saying that other companies shouldend be critisized because they create sequals when Capcom does the same thing. Yeah Capcom is a great company and creates great games, but thats not to say that the Final Fantasy series feels fresh still to this day on. Id say that Final Fantasy 12 feels more fresh than Omnumusha which is basically Resident evil with swords. Again, im not saying i dont like Capcom games, but i dont see them as superiour to any other Japanese developer because they make new IP all the time. Many could argue that Monster hunter portable, Lost planet, Dead rising and God hand were average games, so a new IP doesnt automatically mean its excellent.

Cruceh said:
It makes sense to me. What would you define it as then?

ethelred said:
Devil May Cry has been milked, eh? So any time a new IP is turned into a new franchise to add to the company's library, instead of just a new standalone title, that's milking? 3 games! Milked! I guess Devil May Cry can join other milked franchises like Fallout, Dark Cloud, and Valkyrie Profile.

...Yeah.

Id say that Final Fantasy 12 feels more fresh than Omnumusha which is basically Resident evil with swords.

Hey, then I can say Final Fantasy 12 is just like Final Fantasy except I don't actually do anything during battles.

Because both mine and your statements are equally stupid.

Again, im not saying i dont like Capcom games, but i dont see them as superiour to any other Japanese developer because they make new IP all the time. Many could argue that Monster hunter portable, Lost planet, Dead rising and God hand were average games, so a new IP doesnt automatically mean its excellent

You're right. New IPs does not mean that it's necessarily a good thing. But we're discussing whether or not Capcom has sequelitis, not whether or not it produces great games regularly.

Wiitard

Banned
Bebpo said:
Wow, I just noticed that Power Smash 3 (VT3) did less than Heroes of Mana, which reportedly did 10k.

Virtua Tennis selling 5-8k = SEGA BOMBA. Maybe they should've included ONLINE...stupid AM3 @_@
who am I kidding, with online it would've sold 9k instead of 8k. Game needed to be on the DS

Dude, come on. It is a tennis game. In Japan. On which console do you think it might sell.

Kafel said:
Powiir Smash 3 ?

SEGA said there are "a lot of tennis" games on Wii at the moment and so they're looking to see how well those perform, but they have no plans to bring any tennis title to the Wii.

Defuser

I think the perception of milking have reach the all time low.

If that particular game fulfills all the requirement of having the game being:
-Having spin offs aka unimportant side stories/same/alternate universe
-multiple console ports
-upgraded rereleases
-Every year/few months releases

That particular game = Milked

Capcom frachises so far been milked:
Megaman
Resident Evil
Street Fighter

Capcom franchise have not been milked:
Devil May cry
Onimusha
God hand
Monster Hunter
Okami
Dead Rising
Lost planet

andthebeatgoeson

LJ11 said:
:lol

I'm glad a couple of these posters show up every week for your guys. That way you have something to actually talk about, because Japan has been on the same path for a while now.
I was wondering why this thread is 300+ post within 12 hours.

Top Bottom