• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/23 - 4/29

PantherLotus said:
Just wanted to restate this:
I thought gaming had reached a critical mass under Sony leadership that Nintendo could have only once dreamed of--and that makes it better for everyone, regardless of what Nintendo traditionalists would have you believe.

Sorry, monopolies aren't good for anyone. Monopolies have much more negatives than positives.

I'm glad the company that is the low price leader, and is attempting a non-graphics innovation focus is leading. Both those things, being low price and innovation in control have been severely lacking. For anyone who leads though - a monopoly isn't exactly good for anyone. Right now its about as competitive as can be, and thats good. You have 360 currently leading worldwide, Wii having the largest amount of sales per month trying to catch up worldwide, and you have the PS3 - the successor of one of the most bought systems ever - trailing way behind. Right now, its nice to have balance like this. Hell, if it were up to me, I'dd like to see Sega/Sammy get back in the console business and throw in Apple or another newcomer. Lets make this a dogfight.

Odysseus

Banned
PantherLotus said:
the way things are going, PS3 might have already seen its highest sales in one week...that it will ever have. I hope I'm wrong.

well, other than mgs4 week when it sells 500k and ffxiii week when it sells 1 million

also, wait until the week when people remember that vf5 is already out

Link

The Autumn Wind
duderon said:
look at my post! ^^
I know, but even so, I don't see the Wii dropping to 65k. That's lower than it's averaged for the past several weeks.

Panther had his weeks mixed up anyway.

for the record I also wanted PS3 to win.

Nintendo has been dragging its feet on graphics for far too long, creating visually lazy 3rd Party devs with poor art

I'll forgive them if the purchase Square Enix

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Hollywood_mIRC said:
Sorry, monopolies aren't good for anyone. Monopolies have much more negatives than positives.

I'm glad the company that is the low price leader, and is attempting a non-graphics innovation focus is leading. Both those things, being low price and innovation in control have been severely lacking. For anyone who leads though - a monopoly isn't exactly good for anyone. Right now its about as competitive as can be, and thats good. You have 360 currently leading worldwide, Wii having the largest amount of sales per month trying to catch up worldwide, and you have the PS3 - the successor of one of the most bought systems ever - trailing way behind. Right now, its nice to have balance like this. Hell, if it were up to me, I'dd like to see Sega/Sammy get back in the console business and throw in Apple or another newcomer. Lets make this a dogfight.

Everything I'm about to say is with respect, because you really tried in this post. BUT.

Here's what you're saying, right?
1. Monopolies aren't good for anybody? Uh...in the CPU/Game industry, you are 88% wrong. The more things we can get set as a standard, the more things we get. Not to mention that they're clearly good for the company that has the monopoly! But I never said anything about monopolies in the first place. I was talking about how Sony's little grey console...and that medium sized black one...were able to make people that were always too cool to play videogames actually start playing. They made gaming a real thing. It grew up under their watch, and they should be recognized for that.

2. This is in no way a balanced competition. The 360 is dead in Japan, trailing the past few months to the Wii, and who the F knows in Europe. The PS3 is pretty much falling on its face in every territory, and the Wii sells every single unit it makes in every territory it distributes to. Even if it were a balanced competition, that doesn't necessarily make it better.

3. And you seriously suggested that Sega gets back in the ring? Have you played games in the past 3-4 years? After seeing them fail with the DC...it truly isn't amazing that Nintendo is the only publisher succeeding in the hardware territory. The only thing I can imagine competing would be a team-up of megaton proportions: SQUARE-ENIX-NAMCO-EA. That would pretty much cover everything I play, and pull out the stuff on every other console, too. But it ain't happenin. And neither is Apple, unless it's with a huge partner.

PantherLotus said:
PS3 might have already seen its highest sales in one week...that it will ever have. I hope I'm wrong.

Projection time! Let's do some math leading up to the release of that one game.

So let's say the PS3 sells 11k/week for the next 8 months, then gets a pricecut. Just speculating. That's another 352,000 on top of the 861,640 already sold through. For the sake of argument, the pricecut doubles weekly sales to 22k/week for the 9 months or so leading up to the game's release. That would add 792,000 to the 1,213,640 sold for 2,005,640. Let's be generous and say the release of that game spurs the same number of system sales as the DS sold for the week of 4/23 ~ 4/29 -- 256,063 -- and it sells through to a third of the existing userbase and each of the new system owners that week. That gives 924,610 software units to be sold out of the gate. Compare against its predecessor's first-week sales of 1,764,266.

Given the relative release dates during their respective generations, it doesn't look too bleak. Feel free to spin your own numbers. :)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Cheesemeister said:

So let's say the PS3 sells 11k/week for the next 8 months, then gets a pricecut. Just speculating. That's another 352,000 on top of the 861,640 already sold through. For the sake of argument, the pricecut doubles weekly sales to 22k/week for the 9 months or so leading up to the game's release. That would add 792,000 to the 1,213,640 sold for 2,005,640. Let's be generous and say the release of that game spurs the same number of system sales as the DS sold for the week of 4/23 ~ 4/29 -- 256,063 -- and it sells through to a third of the existing userbase and each of the new system owners that week. That gives 924,610 software units to be sold out of the gate. Compare against its predecessor's first-week sales of 1,764,266.

Given the relative release dates during their respective generations, it doesn't look too bleak. Feel free to spin your own numbers. :)

Lots of assumptions there cheesy, but I like it!

1. I don't think they'll pricecut under another year.
2. I don't think that game will be out that quickly.
3. I don't think that game will the main title of that franchise.

Taurus

Wow!

Great show from Nintendo. Golden Week's numbers must be even better. SW from Golden Week today, HW tomorrow, right?

Saitou

Banned
PantherLotus said:
Lots of assumptions there cheesy, but I like it!

1. I don't think they'll pricecut under another year.
2. I don't think that game will be out that quickly.
3. I don't think that game will the main title of that franchise.
I'd mention locomotives, but won't out of fear.

I will, however, say that I do think it will be a 'main title,' but not the kind of main title you'd think.

I'm not making any sense, am I.

Odysseus

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
Wow!

PS3 is closing the gap confirmed!

wii-ps3 gap is 89,731 for the week.

mind-blowing question: will that number be higher or lower than total ps3 sales in april npd? (released 5/17)

Evlar

Banned
Cheesemeister said:

Interesting way to view it. Can the company in question feel satisfied with ~1 million sales? It would take quite a while for that number to get higher since you're already predicting an attach rate of about 44% for that title. One would presume that the sales of that title would be to mostly a portion of new console purchasers from that point forward, which will obviously take a while and depend on outside factors.

So 1 million would be the plateau for this title and whether it would have legs is an open question. That seems rather poor compared to other games in this series, including a remake released just last year.

bmf said:
Can someone translate the bit at the bottom of this page:

http://www.m-create.com/jpn/s_ranking.html

Media Create said:
新作が多数発売
『ファイナルファンタジーXII レヴァナント・ウイング』が1位に

上位100タイトルの総販売本数は1,412,495本、週間平均比108.41%、前週比120.18%。
 ランクインした新作は21タイトル、新作比は42.16%。上位10位以内には『ファイナルファンタジーXII レヴァナント・ウイング』、『桃太郎電鉄DS~TOKYO&JAPAN』、『Wiiでやわらかあたま塾』、『ワンピースアンリミテッドアドベンチャー』、『パネルでポンDS』の5タイトルがランクインするなど、多数の新作が市場を活性化させていた。
 『ファイナルファンタジーXII レヴァナント・ウイング』は2006年3月に発売された『ファイナルファンタジーXII』から派生したタイトル。274,004本を販売し、1位を獲得した。ハードはPS2からDSへ、システム面も従来の『ファイナルファンタジー』シリーズとは一線を画し、DSのタッチパネルを生かした戦闘になっている。ゴールデンウィーク後半以降、どのように販売本数を伸ばしていくのか注目したい。
 ハード市場ではDSLが今週で総販売台数1,000万台を突破。2006年3月に発売されてから14ヶ月での快挙だった。なお、DS+DSLの合計では約1,660万台を販売している。

Many sales for new titles
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings ranks in at #1.

The top 100 titles sold 1,412,495 software unites, 108.41% compared to the weekly average and 120.18% compared to the week before. Of the ranked titles, 21 were new, and made up 42.16% of the ranked title sales(?). Five of the top 10 titles, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, Momotarou Dentetsu DS: Tokyo & Japan, Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree, One Piece: Unlimited Adventure, and Panel de Pon DS, spurred the market with their great numbers.

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings is a follow-up to Final Fantasy XII, released in March 2006. Selling 274,004 units, it ranked in at #1. The hardware shift from PS2 to DS is going hand-in-hand with Final Fantasy as usual, brought to life by battles through the DS touch-screen. Anticipate seeing whether or not these numbers will be sustained through the latter portion of Golden Week sales and onward.

Hardware sales of the DSL break through the 10 million mark this week. This brilliant achievement was carried out over the course of only 14 months. Combined DS sales total about 16.6 million units.

PantherLotus said:
Everything I'm about to say is with respect, because you really tried in this post. BUT.

Here's what you're saying, right?
1. Monopolies aren't good for anybody? Uh...in the CPU/Game industry, you are 88% wrong. The more things we can get set as a standard, the more things we get. Not to mention that they're clearly good for the company that has the monopoly! But I never said anything about monopolies in the first place. I was talking about how Sony's little grey console...and that medium sized black one...were able to make people that were always too cool to play videogames actually start playing. They made gaming a real thing. It grew up under their watch, and they should be recognized for that.

2. This is in no way a balanced competition. The 360 is dead in Japan, trailing the past few months to the Wii, and who the F knows in Europe. The PS3 is pretty much falling on its face in every territory, and the Wii sells every single unit it makes in every territory it distributes to. Even if it were a balanced competition, that doesn't necessarily make it better.

3. And you seriously suggested that Sega gets back in the ring? Have you played games in the past 3-4 years? After seeing them fail with the DC...it truly isn't amazing that Nintendo is the only publisher succeeding in the hardware territory. The only thing I can imagine competing would be a team-up of megaton proportions: SQUARE-ENIX-NAMCO-EA. That would pretty much cover everything I play, and pull out the stuff on every other console, too. But it ain't happenin. And neither is Apple, unless it's with a huge partner.

1) Um, no. For one video games aren't computers, there won't ever be one "standard", that would be good for everyone. Hell you could even make the case for computers (do people really like Microsoft charging $200 apiece for updated OS's and Office suites with basically just cosmetic changes?) but thats a different story. Sure the monopoly would be good for the company that does it, but not for consumers. If Sony was the only company with a console, chances are, they would try to sell the PS3 at a profit. $800, $900 maybe? If consumers didn't like it, well, it would be tough crap - because they would be the only sheriff in town.

2) I just meant there is balance in that the two companies that were killed last generation, are now fighting out for the lead. Sony was due to be humbled, being so long on top (like a lot of companies in businesses - GM, Ford, etc) makes them complacent. They made huge mistakes with the PS3 that has been capitalized on, like they capitalized on the mistakes of Sega and Nintendo when they were the upstart. What comes around goes around, maybe now they won't be complacent and try a little harder. Competition ignites change for companies more than anything else.

3) I don't have any preference for a company, Sega or Apple - I'm just mentioning I would like to see more companies get in as hardware makers. Maybe some company not in it right now could see things differently and make a product that helps change things for the better even more.

legend166

I wish I could go back in time to 2005 and make the following post:

"In May of 2007, the next Nintendo console will have sold 2.3 million units, and the PS3 will have sold 870k units."

I'd be interested to see the length of my ban.

Odysseus

Banned
legend166 said:

"In May of 2007, the next Nintendo console will have sold 2.3 million units, and the PS3 will have sold 870k units."

my guess? you'd still be serving it.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
legend166 said:

Permaban, easy.

Rock_Man

Cheesemeister said:
The top 100 titles sold 1,412,495 software unites, up 108.41% from the weekly average and up 120.18% from the week before.

Not "up". Sales were 108.41% of the weekly average and 120.18% of the previous week's sales.

legend166 said:

This sort of reminds me of that time I read the GAF archives from when the Dreamcast went under. Smart, respectable people being completely wrong and blindsided by something very few were legitimately predicting.

Hindsight is 20/20 and yadda yadda yadda.

Vinnk

I'm back in Japan! So I will have a "Vinnk's Village" sales report for this week. I'll be stopping by the stores tomorrow so please tell me what games I should be looking for. I'm about 3 weeks out of the loop now, so please let me know what games/systems might currently be supply contrained so I can check it out.

Vinnk said:
I'm back in Japan! So I will have a "Vinnk's Village" sales report for this week. I'll be stopping by the stores tomorrow so please tell me what games I should be looking for. I'm about 3 weeks out of the loop now, so please let me know what games/systems might currently be supply contrained so I can check it out.

Is Wii still supply constrained? ;)

Saitou

Banned
Vinnk said:
Joy of joys!

Keep an eye out for FF12:RW and Panel de Pon for me, willya.

Sony should have never gotten into the handheld market, it seems that was the first time people saw Sony lose and started to call for the same DS like strategy in home consoles.

Just think about it. If the DS had failed against the PSP, does anyone here think Nintendo would have still followed the same path with the Wii?

I say Sony should have never done the PSP, stay the course with PS2 not diluting its 3rd Party support to branch out to a portable that mostly has the same level of power as its home base system PS2... keep the PS2 strong for a few years.

Release PS3 in fall 2008.

This would have been a whole different story.

PSP diluted a very strong PS2 market that could have helped the PS3 come out at a better time at a better price and Sony would have never tasted defeat

Wait... there is also thank you to Microsoft for forcing Sony to branch out like this and hurry the PS3 out the gates

Evlar

Banned
Vinnk said:
Vinnk!

OK, the usual Wii and DS hardware checks. Revenant Wings may be closing in on its first shipment totals (or not) so check that. Similar situation for One Piece.

I'd also like to know whether retailers offer any special Golden Week deals or bundles, and what those deals might be.

justchris

Cheesemeister said:

Hmmm, I figured that game would be a 2008 release, but 17 months? That puts it early Fall 2008, I would think they'd have it done by then. But I suppose they could decide to hold it until the userbase grows.

Otherwise, interesting analysis....

Brofist

Vinnk said:

are planning to just check the stores so you can report back with anecdotal evidence, or are you actually looking to buy something? I can tell you I was in den den town yesterday and I saw no new DS or Wii systems, oddly enough I saw a fair amount of used DS Lites though.

btw golden week is over.

justchris

Vinnk said:

Don't forget to check on 'Old Reliable'.

Smiles and Cries said:
I say Sony should have never done the PSP, stay the course with PS2 not diluting its 3rd Party support to branch out to a portable that mostly has the same level of power as its home base system PS2... keep the PS2 strong for a few years.

Release PS3 in fall 2008.

PSP diluted a very strong PS2 market that could have helped the PS3 come out at a better time at a better price and Sony would have never tasted defeat
i don't think PSP killed any kind of moral for PS3 as far publishers and devs went. PSP had it's entire funeral process laid out after Nintendogs hit. then slowly got put inside and slowly got buried. so let's see, that was mid 2005. from Q2-2005 - Fall 2006 the DS nuked PSP. Although if you look at PS3 hype through the entire industry compared to Wii in that same time frame, you'll see that PSP getting beat down by DS didn't affect the industrys thoughts on PS3.

after all, "what happens in the portable market has nothing to do with the console space" is what most where saying.

PS3 had super support from just about everyone going in. Why do you think it's so hard to see any big 3rd party games on the horizon for Wii.

Agent Icebeezy

imastalker co. said:
i don't think PSP killed any kind of moral for PS3 as far publishers and devs went. PSP had it's entire funeral process laid out after Nintendogs hit. then slowly got put inside and slowly got buried. so let's see, that was mid 2005. from Q2-2005 - Fall 2006 the DS nuked PSP. Although if you look at PS3 hype through the entire industry compared to Wii in that same time frame, you'll see that PSP getting beat down by DS didn't affect the industrys thoughts on PS3.

after all, "what happens in the portable market has nothing to do with the console space" is what most where saying.

PS3 had super support from just about everyone going in. Why do you think it's so hard to see any big 3rd party games on the horizon for Wii.

I think the conversion from 3rd parties is going to be faster on the Wii than it was the DS, in regards to getting quality software on the console.

thaivo

I just read all 16 pages of this thread.

Three things have amazed me.
(1) the numbers.. wow 8:1
(2) The SDF has been so humbled that people are having to impersonate them.
(3) 16 pages of pretty much expressions of amazement of the Nintendomination.

Legendary indeed. No epic arguments from Sony fans, just awestruck acceptance of the fact that Japan has chosen.

Agent Icebeezy said:
I think the conversion from 3rd parties is going to be faster on the Wii than it was the DS, in regards to getting quality software on the console.

im sure we'll see a flood of support at E3, but im not so sure western developers want to make the jump. well, the ones that matter to me atleast.

Agent Icebeezy

Sgt. Killjoy said:
does anyone have japan 360 software totals vs ps3 software totals?

360: Roofles
PS3: Haha

In a serious note, on an individual basis, both Wii Play and Wii Sports> PS3 software or 360 software.

imastalker co. said:
im sure we'll see a flood of support at E3, but im not so sure western developers want to make the jump. well, the ones that matter to me atleast.

Userbase is userbase. Why on earth would they be hesitant?

Sgt. Killjoy said:
does anyone have japan 360 software totals vs ps3 software totals?
They're almost 1:1 last time the numbers came out. 360 tie ratio is 3 to a base of 300k. PS3 ratio is 1 with 850k hardware sold.

Aristotlekh said:
They're always behind Japan when it comes to these things and 360 is relatively healthier in the USA.us

Most will also probably focus on shooters and GTA clones. I dob't really care so long as the Japanese developers pick up the slack. They are still more influential and most quirky games come from them.

Kenka

This is the best MC thread eva. It's just orgasm after orgasm. And it will last at least two more days. :D

Thanks Nintendo :lol

Aristotlekh said:
well, im talking about PC devs that are porting their stuff to consoles.

in the end, i think they'll be content developing on PC, and 360 + PS3, over doing something exclusive for Wii.

im really suprised by the lack of SDF. this almost feels like a new gaf. i don't think these media create threads will ever be the same again.

Time for a funny Ken pic.

thenisaidsomethingfunnyandold.jpg

So, are you old enough to get this joke?

Vagabundo

imastalker co. said:

in the end, i think they'll be content developing on PC, and 360 + PS3, over doing something exclusive for Wii.

I believe the dev community with have two SKUs Wii and PC/260/PS3. I think 3rd party exclusives for the latter three will be as rare as hens teeth come 2008.

Vagabundo

chibcicylist said:
Most will also probably focus on shooters and GTA clones. I dob't really care so long as the Japanese developers pick up the slack. They are still more influential and most quirky games come from them.

Yeah that niche will not go away, there will always be money to be made there, however they will not be of a scale that they could have been if the PS3 had dominated.

AniHawk

Tyrannical said:
Time for a funny Ken pic.

thenisaidsomethingfunnyandold.jpg

So, are you old enough to get this joke?

You don't have to be old. The ET story is a classic handed down through time. Why, my great-grandfather told me this tale when I was just a lad.

imastalker co. said:

im really suprised by the lack of SDF. this almost feels like a new gaf. i don't think these media create threads will ever be the same again.

well you did a good job playing devil's advocate. Shame of the SDF!

I see some of your points, they are very valid.
I also think maybe the devs will move to Wii slower because no matter how much the Wii is selling Nintendo left it open with a weakness that it is a whole generation behind the PS3/360.

Sure I would not go as far to say its just a GCN like some haters here but visually those devs seem to not even bother pushing the system at all although it uses the same dev tech as the GCN which they should have been familiar with and could push by now. So maybe those of us hoping to see big 3rd party games on Wii will never see our dream come true even if the Wii becomes the market leader beating the 360.

Top Bottom