• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/23 - 4/29

Kafel

Banned
I'm sure that Bandai-Namco is not the only one that took a cold shower with PS3 software sales.

The new fiscal year is late enough to have an outlook on the shift happening.

And again, these software sales charts are obvious, it may help to make a decision in these times.

well ps3 is winning the million race atm.

● The Wii is around ~11 weeks from breaking 3 million.
● The PS3 is around ~10 weeks from breaking 1 million.

This is the real fight.

Vinnk said:
I'm back in Japan! So I will have a "Vinnk's Village" sales report for this week. I'll be stopping by the stores tomorrow so please tell me what games I should be looking for. I'm about 3 weeks out of the loop now, so please let me know what games/systems might currently be supply contrained so I can check it out.

FF12 Revenant Wings, One Piece, Big Brain, and GS4 please.

Brofist

shaft said:
well ps3 is winning the million race atm.

● The Wii is around ~11 weeks from breaking 3 million.
● The PS3 is around ~10 weeks from breaking 1 million.

This is the real fight.

:lol we get the point

Smiles and Cries said:
well you did a good job playing devil's advocate. Shame of the SDF!

I see some of your points, they are very valid.
I also think maybe the devs will move to Wii slower because no matter how much the Wii is selling Nintendo left it open with a weakness that it is a whole generation behind the PS3/360.

Sure I would not go as far to say its just a GCN like some haters here but visually those devs seem to not even bother pushing the system at all although it uses the same dev tech as the GCN which they should have been familiar with and could push by now. So maybe those of us hoping to see big 3rd party games on Wii will never see our dream come true even if the Wii becomes the market leader beating the 360.

Anyone who thinks that developers aren't going to jump ship because they get their jollies from making stunning looking games on PC/360/PS3 is kidding themselves. The sole reason developers put so much effort into the graphics of their games is to sell more copies and make more money, the whole "it's art" thing does not even come into it. If they can sell more copies of a game to a much larger userbase without having to take the time and money to make their game look like Gears or Lair then they'll jump at the chance.

The only exceptions to this are companies like Epic or id who create an engine and then make a great deal of money from licensing it out. Their games have to look amazing because they are essentially using them to market the engine to prospective buyers.

Besides, Galaxy proves that Wii games can be extremely pleasing to the eye without having to push a ridiculous number of polyflops, so if I'm wrong and there are developers out there who want to make stunning looking games for the sake of it, it can still be done.

bananabread said:
Anyone who thinks that developers aren't going to jump ship because they get their jollies from making stunning looking games on PC/360/PS3 is kidding themselves. The sole reason developers put so much effort into the graphics of their games is to sell more copies and make more money, the whole "it's art" thing does not even come into it. If they can sell more copies of a game to a much larger userbase without having to take the time and money to make their game look like Gears or Lair then they'll jump at the chance.

The only exceptions to this are companies like Epic or id who create an engine and then make a great deal of money from licensing it out. Their games have to look amazing because they are essentially using them to market the engine to prospective buyers.

Besides, Galaxy proves that Wii games can be extremely pleasing to the eye without having to push a ridiculous number of polyflops, so if I'm wrong and there are developers out there who want to make stunning looking games for the sake of it, it can still be done.

Its not like I would disagree with that. But so far so good for the PS3/360's chances for those high end games. Jumping ship will not occur at the rate that most Nintendo fans would want to believe.

I love Nintendo but I still say if the devs don't even try to Push the Wii to its limits to compete a little better as years goes by and prices drop and wiimote is copied by SONY and MS. Nintendo will lose its edge.

/playing the role of SDF

1-D_FTW

Smiles and Cries said:
Sure I would not go as far to say its just a GCN like some haters here but visually those devs seem to not even bother pushing the system at all although it uses the same dev tech as the GCN which they should have been familiar with and could push by now. So maybe those of us hoping to see big 3rd party games on Wii will never see our dream come true even if the Wii becomes the market leader beating the 360.

I know Boogie Nights gets a lot of hate, but that video they recently released (assuming it's real), is not the typical third-party uggo job.

As someone who's not shy about bitching about Wii graphics, the Boogie Nights video looks good when played full screen on a large HDTV. Better than anything else on my set by a decent margin.

Now it's possible it's a dummy video, or graphically impressive because it's so limited in size, but it gives me some hope that third parties will begin to try exploiting the graphics to give their game a marketing edge.

1-D_FTW said:
I know Boogie Nights gets a lot of hate, but that video they recently released (assuming it's real), is not the typical third-party uggo job.

As someone who's not shy about bitching about Wii graphics, the Boogie Nights video looks good when played full screen on a large HDTV. Better than anything else on my set by a decent margin.

Now it's possible it's a dummy video, or graphically impressive because it's so limited in size, but it gives me some hope that third parties will begin to try exploiting the graphics to give their game a marketing edge.

Dewy is my favorite looking Wii game so far... Mario Galaxy is sex.
Now what I want to see is how Metroid Prime 3 can stand up against Halo 3 or those bald head war games using that "Super Engine" which Wii cannot support.

Dewy FTMFW

38313352620070424111338.jpg

1-D_FTW

Dewey and Mario are probably more impressive because they have much larger stages, but Boogie just looks really good to my don't-care-about-details eyes.

If I play a bunch of PS3 or 360 videos, then play Boogie Nights, I'm only struck that Boogie Nights is softer. Otherwise it looks fairly next gen.

So hopefully it's a start of third parties realizing if they exploit the graphical powers of Wii, it'll give them an edge.

llTll

Banned
jesus....
please guys. for the next media create thread.

bring to us the only top 20-40 list.

we used to make fun of xbox 360 or MS being dead in japan. guess now we will add Sony to the not cool group

TJ Spyke

Um, it's just called "Boogie". Unless EA changed the name and I missed any mention of it. It looks like a good game and I can't wait to see more of it.

Wii software support is not going to change as soon as most people here believe. Hell, look at DS, its a behemoth now, back then everyone laughed how PSP had every console franchise and how it would pull ahead and such, then seeing DS winning by landslide they were expecting every developer to jump ship and put everything on DS.

Well, I still don't see any massive software support for DS. Sure most developer are not on PSP train anymore, but they didn't jump on DS train.

Square-Enix was on DS since the start, its probably the worst example for this, but look at Konami, Namco, Capcom, Bandai, Koei....do you see any heavy support? Capcom is making what they made for GBA, that is, two rockman series and phoenix wright games. Namco doesn't put any of all those console games you like on the machine, they rather try with things like mojipittan, Bandai sure is making many Gundam, SRT and anime games....just like they did on GBA. Koei, just look at Musou DS. Where is Konami I wonder? Boktai, hey, another GBA series.

So now you expect again all developer to jump ship and put everything on Wii? Thats setting up for disappointment. Sure Wii winning is going to translate into more support eventually but I sure don't expect it to be the support they are giving to 360/PS3. They are not going to pack boxes and say, hey, we are now Wii exclusive and all the franchises you loved on other systems and many more new from all those AAA teams we have working exclusively for Wii are coming really soon.

1-D_FTW said:
Dewey and Mario are probably more impressive because they have much larger stages, but Boogie just looks really good to my don't-care-about-details eyes.

If I play a bunch of PS3 or 360 videos, then play Boogie Nights, I'm only struck that Boogie Nights is softer. Otherwise it looks fairly next gen.

So hopefully it's a start of third parties realizing if they exploit the graphical powers of Wii, it'll give them an edge.

Well thats kinda the point... If Boogy Nights is limited to charaters dancing and singing in a small room... sure you can push graphics even more because you have a small area to work with.

To me it did not look like something I have not seen in Rayman Raving Raddids
I would like to see more, maybe I missed some vids?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Astonishing to see Wii selling like that, with Smash Bro and Mario Galaxy still not released. It's now a given Wii will have the biggest userbase by the end of the year, by a large margin.

I always thought wii success would not affect next gen games development, as PS3/x360/PC userbases represent a big enough audience. But I'm now starting to think many japanese studios will reconsider their ressource allocations, and have their A team work on wii projects.

Wii is not selling like a fad. It's selling out, whereas its biggest system sellers are about to be launched in the next 6 months. DS is a beast, and so is the Wii.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Konami, Namco, Capcom, Bandai, Koei....do you see any heavy support?
These companies have always put more ressources on consoles than on handleds, so I'm not that surprised by their low support. Yet DS sales are now trouncering GBA sales, so I'm pretty sure all studios are reconsidering their allocations. DS is not that old and it took many people off guard.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Wii software support is not going to change as soon as most people here believe. Hell, look at DS, its a behemoth now, back then everyone laughed how PSP had every console franchise and how it would pull ahead and such, then seeing DS winning by landslide they were expecting every developer to jump ship and put everything on DS.

Well, I still don't see any massive software support for DS. Sure most developer are not on PSP train anymore, but they didn't jump on DS train.

Square-Enix was on DS since the start, its probably the worst example for this, but look at Konami, Namco, Capcom, Bandai, Koei....do you see any heavy support? Capcom is making what they made for GBA, that is, two rockman series and phoenix wright games. Namco doesn't put any of all those console games you like on the machine, they rather try with things like mojipittan, Bandai sure is making many Gundam, SRT and anime games....just like they did on GBA. Koei, just look at Musou DS. Where is Konami I wonder? Boktai, hey, another GBA series.

So now you expect again all developer to jump ship and put everything on Wii? Thats setting up for disappointment. Sure Wii winning is going to translate into more support eventually but I sure don't expect it to be the support they are giving to 360/PS3. They are not going to pack boxes and say, hey, we are now Wii exclusive and all the franchises you loved on other systems and many more new from all those AAA teams we have working exclusively for Wii are coming really soon.
Namco-Bandai just did, more or less. They even cited the PS3's slow sales. If they can, I don't see why the others save for Capcom wouldn't follow.

If they don't shape up and still insist on snubbing the Wii...well, I hope Nintendo is kind enough to give them some crumbs.

AniHawk

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
So now you expect again all developer to jump ship and put everything on Wii? Thats setting up for disappointment. Sure Wii winning is going to translate into more support eventually but I sure don't expect it to be the support they are giving to 360/PS3. They are not going to pack boxes and say, hey, we are now Wii exclusive and all the franchises you loved on other systems and many more new from all those AAA teams we have working for Wii exclusive are coming really soon.

The difference between the Wii and the DS is that you can put out your little crap shovelware that did okay on the GBA and have it do okay on the DS for just about the same return. Even when the PSP hit, handhelds were seen as a secondary gaming device (although S-E doesn't seem to see it that way). But ignore or give the largest userbase crap, you're going to receive crap sales in return (hey there, UbiSoft!).

2007 is going to be a wake up call for developers. 2008 will be a year of transition, and 2009 will have a full-out Wii vs. PS360 war.

Polari

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Wii development costs + user base three times larger than PS3 in Japan, over twice as large worldwide = if you're going to allocate the majority of your resources to PS3, you'd better start looking for a new job.

chibcicylist said:
Namco-Bandai just did, more or less. They even cited the PS3's slow sales. If they can, I don't see why the others save for Capcom wouldn't follow.
You are hanging on number of titles listing to say that? wow. Look at what they are putting in that list.

Soul Calibur Legends, Sword of Legendia, Gundam 0079...its exactly what I said, they aren't giving Wii what they give to 360/PS3. Next main entry from Ace Combat goes to...Ridge Racer is on...Tekken will be on...flagship Gundam (Musou) goes to...they announce spinoffs of their franchises adapted to Wii controller and you see that as jumping ship? No, thats not jumping ship, thats trying to catch on Wii success with B level teams doing different things for franchises names you know.

In other words, you expect Gundam Musou 2, Ridge Racer 8, Tekken 7, Soul Calibur 4 to appear on Wii since its selling so much better? Because I don't, and they don't seem to be doing that, they seem to be getting those franchises, hand them to B teams, make some spinoff out of them with Wii controller in mind and thats it.

Anihawk said:
The difference between the Wii and the DS is that you can put out your little crap shovelware that did okay on the GBA and have it do okay on the DS for just about the same return. Even when the PSP hit, handhelds were seen as a secondary gaming device (although S-E doesn't seem to see it that way). But ignore or give the largest userbase crap, you're going to receive crap sales in return (hey there, UbiSoft!).

2007 is going to be a wake up call for developers. 2008 will be a year of transition, and 2009 will have a full-out Wii vs. PS360 war.
Just like they think that way of DS, right now they think the same of Wii with PS2, PSP games instead of GBA. But yeah, I agree with you that this year is the wake up call, and 2009 or so will be when we see the results.

bmf said:
Huh.

DSL 255,971
Wii 102,522
PSP 33,860
PS3 12,791
PS2 12,584
Xbox360 3,162
GBM 630
GBASP 495
GC 167
DS 92
GBA 0

Edit: We should see how well that formula works. In both directions.

Oh shit^10. And this is NOT Golden Week.

AniHawk

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
You are hanging on number of titles listing to say that? wow. Look at what they are putting in that list.

Soul Calibur Legends, Sword of Legendia, Gundam 0079...its exactly what I said, they aren't giving Wii what they give to 360/PS3. Next main entry from Ace Combat goes to...Ridge Racer is on...Tekken will be on...flagship Gundam (Musou) goes to...they announce spinoffs of their franchises adapted to Wii controller and you see that as jumping ship? No, thats not jumping ship, thats trying to catch on Wii success with B level teams doing different things for franchises names you know.

In other words, you expect Gundam Musou 2, Ridge Racer 8, Tekken 7, Soul Calibur 4 to appear on Wii since its selling so much better? Because I don't, and they don't seem to be doing that, they seem to be getting those franchises, hand them to B teams, make some spinoff out of them with Wii controller in mind and thats it.

Just like they think that way of DS, right now they think the same of Wii with PS2, PSP games instead of GBA. But yeah, I agree with you that this year is the wake up call, and 2009 or so will be when we see the results.

Actually I wouldn't expect to see Ridge Racer 8 or Tekken 7 at the rate those franchises have been selling lately.

But with the PS2, they have to understand that that is their lifeblood. Their console games are what sell the most. They can't just half-ass a PS2 port and cross their fingers when it comes to the big ol epic PS360 title. With the DS, it was almost like Business as Usual, but applying the same tactics to the Wii is going to land many developers in a world of hurt. I think the main reason that studios outside Sega (who have been surprisingly supportive early on with some good titles) are releasing so many last-gen ports to the Wii right now is because they know they completely missed the boat. The trend of adding wii controls to old games is something I doubt will last into 2008.

Polari

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Make the same argument this time next year. Almost every game you listed would have been in development prior to it becoming clear just how much the Wii was going to dominate and how badly the PS3 was going to bomb.

Polari said:
Make the same argument this time next year. Almost every game you listed would have been in development prior to it becoming clear just how much the Wii was going to dominate and how badly the PS3 was going to bomb.
Well, my argument is a present one, its about what we have lived this year...I can tell you again in a year how I see Wii support but its not going to be the same one as the one above since it will be affected by everything that is going to happen until then.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

No, but I expect the same effort put into newer IPs and whatever project they started once they made that decision to shift resources to the Wii. I reckon most of the stuff you mentioned were planned WAY before the Wii killed the PS3 in Japan. :)

Established franchises based on old controls isn't really what the Wii is all about anyway(yeah, yeah, Zelda: TP, SPM, but Nintendo also released Wii Sports, a new and a far more potent Wii franchise). It's time for new blood and new IPs created on the Wii to take the torch.

mclem

cheesemeister said:
GBA = 0 GBA + 495 SP + 630 Micro

Something I hadn't really thought of with the promise of the DS - we're seeing the slow demise of one of the -
if not the - biggest brands in gaming history.

It's kinda poignant.

ziran

Wow @ DS and Wii sales! Very impressive.

As for Kurosaki Ichigo's point, while I generally disagree, I do think it's grounded in some truth.

What's very clearly happening in Japan is a shift in gaming tastes, so while many of the so called 'main' franchises may appear on PS3, they will not be selling previous main franchise amounts.

The reality is, in Japan, many games which were the main sellers for a 3rd Party are being, and will continue to be, relegated to lower sales, and will in turn become side projects, while the new games, which are currently dubbed spin offs based on a new kind of gameplay for Wii, will become the new major sellers.

So, while the hardcore will still be getting the hardcore experiences these games will ultimately be scaled back, with smaller budgets because they will be appealing to a niche audience on PS3 (and maybe 360). This is ironic, because those games which desperately need the big budgets won't be getting them because they simply won't be able turn a profit, yet those games on Wii and DS will be given whatever money they need, yet they won't need that much.

Some current main franchises will continue to thrive, but they will also be appearing on Wii (in addition to possibly other consoles).

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

I understand your point of view, but in my opinion, Third Parties have no choice. The Wii is not sellling only slighty better then the rest: it is selling like crazy and PS3 is doing very bad for now. So, if they still wanna make money, they have to change ship. Sonner or later it is inevitable, otherwise they will not be enough profitable.
After all, the objective of Third Parties is make money, so I don't see why they are so reluctants to make A games for the Wii.
With the DS, perhaps they have though that the portable space was not so important (as you said) and that the PS3 would have compensed more then enough the little support on the Nintendo DS.
But now, there are two systems in Japan: DS and Wii. If you want you can include PSP that is selling decently and for a while you can include PS2 too, because of its large userbase.
But you cannot ignore the leader of the market: it just make no sense economically.

Japanese devs (and all devs for that matter) can choose to have the a teams work on ps3/360 titles, and have their c and d teams work on Wii, but in the end they will only suffer.

Alkaliine said:
Japanese devs (and all devs for that matter) can choose to have the a teams work on ps3/360 titles, and have their c and d teams work on Wii, but in the end they will only suffer.

And deservingly so if they fail (or won't want) to adapt to new market realities.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Alkaliine said:
That is true so far if you only take into account Japanese sales, but Capcom made some great sales on a WW level with their x360 titles. The one thing that makes me think A teams will soon jump on the wii boat, is that a big next gen budget game that would flop could be a disaster for some 3rd party studios.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Handhelds =/= Consoles amirite?! :p

Anyway, handhelds have never ever had a level of support on par with consoles. At least the DS success was big enough to get it something like DQIX, so you never know...

marc^o^ said:
That is true so far if you only take into account Japanese sales, but Capcom made some great sales on a WW level with their x360 titles. The one thing that makes me think A teams will soon jump on the wii boat, is that a big next gen budget game that would flop could be a disaster for some 3rd party studios.

Good point about western 360 devs, I probably should have said just Japanese devs - though western PS3 3rd party sales aren't crash hot.

Parl

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

DS: GBA titles that did well will be made for DS, too. Not any of the main teams because even C teams can pull off competitive DS graphics.

PSP: Probably a quarter the development costs of PS3 games AND is also likely to end up selling less than PSP overall - if PS3 pulls ahead of PS3, it will take a while.

marc^o^ said:

That's another interesting point: japanese Third Parties can concentrate themself with games for the western audience. This is a strategy that has the advantage that you can ignore the Wii, but for me it just make no sense for their main market. Come-on guys, Namco, Konami, Capcom, Sega and co. are japanese Developers. Their mother-market is Japan. With this attitude they escape (for now) outside the Wii domination, but this have a price: the lost of Japan.
Do developers hate Nintendo to a such level thet they will try to sell their game even on the moon ?
In my opinion: Nintendo is the leader => you have to develop A-games for them. Period. This make sense economically. The rest are only short-term strategy to avoid the reality, i.e. the market has changed.

Only Capcom, and to a lesser extent really is chasing this whole big fish, small pond kind of thing anyway. Sega(Nights 2, Mario and Sonic Olympics), Square-Enix(DQ IX, very strong DS support), Namco-Bandai(still iffy but new financial numbers are very telling) seems intent on catering to their homeland.

Capcom+Konami+Western Devs(EA and Ubisoft don't really count. They port to everything) won't be enough to win you the generation when you're up against Nintendo+Square+Sega+smaller japanese devs/publishers. Japan's influence is admittedly waning but it's still a very formidable force this gen. It might even increase if the Wii ends up as worldwide market leader and western devs put all their eggs into the HD basket.

gogogow

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
That's another interesting point: japanese Third Parties can concentrate themself with games for the western audience. This is a strategy that has the advantage that you can ignore the Wii, but for me it just make no sense for their main market. Come-on guys, Namco, Konami, Capcom, Sega and co. are japanese Developers. Their mother-market is Japan. With this attitude they escape (for now) outside the Wii domination, but this have a price: the lost of Japan.
Things have changed.
What do they care (namco, capcom, konami etc.). Their games (tekken, resident evil, lost planet, deadrising, soul calibur, mgs) have always sold much more in US and Europe than in Japan. And with Capcom's recent "universal appeal" games, they care even less about the sales in Japan. Their main market is not Japan, where their sales are the weakest. Who cares whether they are JP devs or not, it's business after all.
I'm not saying Japan isn't important, but it's clear that those companies don't see Japan as their no.1 market anymore. Why do you think those same JP devs are releasing games for the x360, because MS is so big in Japan? No, because the market in the west is much bigger.

Kudos to Media Create for posting the full Top 50, hopefully it's a permanent thing and not just a tease. Good work as always Cheesemeister, much appreciated.

Avrum

PS3 12,791

dontcrylozls4.png

Don't cry Lo
l
z

Anyway, I wonder what boost these systems will get in the actual Golden Week numbers. Provided stock is there I wonder if Wii and DS will be able to maintain that momentum?

Vagabundo

gogogow said:
Things have changed.
What do they care (namco, capcom, konami etc.). Their games (tekken, resident evil, lost planet, deadrising, soul calibur, mgs) have always sold much more in US and Europe than in Japan. And with Capcom's recent "universal appeal" games, they care even less about the sales in Japan. Their main market is not Japan, where their sales are the weakest. Who cares whether they are JP devs or not, it's business after all.
I'm not saying Japan isn't important, but it's clear that those companies don't see Japan as their no.1 market anymore. Why do you think those same JP devs are releasing games for the x360, because MS is so big in Japan? No, because the market in the west is much bigger.

Like an unused limb, that part of the market may wither and die. Or maybe "eggs in one basket"?

Anyway these company's will have to pay homage to the new leader or suffer the consequences later.

milanbaros

Member?
Wii is in the great position of having much better sales and being cheaper to develop for. The risk is lower and the potential reward is much higher. Developing for the PS3 right now doesn't seem like an attractive business idea.

Parl

gogogow said:
Things have changed.

I thought that's 2/3rds of Capcom's revenue was domestic. Their aim, is however, to have non-domestic revenue take up a higher proportion.

justchris

gogogow said:
Things have changed.

And what do they do, later this year, when the Wii surpasses the 360 in the US? Continue to ignore the Wii and watch their sales steadily decline while the niche Japanese devs become forces in the industry by riding the Wii's coattails?

gogogow

Parl said:
I thought that's 2/3rds of Capcom's revenue was domestic. Their aim, is however, to have non-domestic revenue take up a higher proportion.
But weren't we talking about consoles (wii) (games) and not handhelds (ds, games) (megaman ds, monster h portable probably contributed to that revenue, I don't think Capcom released any major console games in Japan recently, well, they have, deadrising, lost planet, but bombed there, yeah)?

justchris said:
And what do they do, later this year, when the Wii surpasses the 360 in the US? Continue to ignore the Wii and watch their sales steadily decline while the niche Japanese devs become forces in the industry by riding the Wii's coattails?
We were talking about Japan, this is a JP thread after all, but anyway,
software are selling great on the 360, and I don't see that changing anytime soon, even if the Wii (and I'm sure it will) surpass the 360's userbase.

It's not only about the user install base, it's also about the attach ratio.
The X360 userbase is much smaller than the PS2, but the 360 software can sell as much or even more than PS2 games.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Smiles and Cries said:
those bald head war games using that "Super Engine" which Wii cannot support.
Because the "super engine" would magically make the baldhead war games graphically feasible on Wii right, and it's all just a conspiracy to keep those graphics away from Wii users.

After all, middleware always generates far superior results to platform dedicated solutions - so Wii can only reach its true potential once conspiracy ends, and they port it over.

Top Bottom