• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/23 - 4/29

gogogow said:
But weren't we talking about consoles (wii) (games) and not handhelds (ds, games) (megaman ds, monster h portable probably contributed to that revenue, I don't think Capcom released any major console games in Japan recently, well, they have, deadrising, lost planet, but bombed there, yeah)?

I was talking about consoles. But the success of Nintendo DS is always somehow connected to the console market. Perhaps not directly, but indirectly.

ziran

gogogow said:
Things have changed.
What do they care (namco, capcom, konami etc.). Their games (tekken, resident evil, lost planet, deadrising, soul calibur, mgs) have always sold much more in US and Europe than in Japan. And with Capcom's recent "universal appeal" games, they care even less about the sales in Japan. Their main market is not Japan, where their sales are the weakest. Who cares whether they are JP devs or not, it's business after all.
I'm not saying Japan isn't important, but it's clear that those companies don't see Japan as their no.1 market anymore. Why do you think those same JP devs are releasing games for the x360, because MS is so big in Japan? No, because the market in the west is much bigger.
I agree there are opportunities for some developers to make money on 360 with certain types of games, but so far this is a limited audience, with specific tastes.

Many Japanese developers have their main business as Japan, and sell poorly in NA and Europe, or don't even release outside their home market. For these companies 360 is pointless and PS3 isn't looking much better. For a Japan specific developer, if you're releasing a game for PS3 or 360 what are you're prospects other than a strong potential for losing money?

Currently, and generally speaking, 3rd Party sales are poor on all formats, but at least Wii has lower development costs, and a rapidly growing user base, so there's at least the potential for decent sales. Obviously the really big titles, which are popular everywhere, will sell relatively well even on a small userbase, but the WE, DQ, FF, MGS type games are the exception not the norm.

Most Japanese developers making games for Wii is an inevitability imo, just as it was for DS.

gogogow

ziran said:
I agree there are opportunities for some developers to make money on 360 with certain types of games, but so far this is a limited audience, with specific tastes.

Many Japanese developers have their main business as Japan, and sell poorly in NA and Europe, or don't even release outside their home market. For these companies 360 is pointless and PS3 isn't looking much better. For a Japan specific developer, if you're releasing a game for PS3 or 360 what are you're prospects other than a strong potential for losing money?

Most Japanese developers making games for Wii is an inevitability imo, just as it was for DS.
But we were talking about namco, capcom, konami etc and the likes.
Outside of the anime games, I don't see any JP specific games.

And a Japan specific dev wouldn't have the money to make a PS3/360 game anyway.
I don't think a dev would make a PS3/360 game for Japan only, the JP market cannot and will not sustain such game (unless the game is called DQ).
JP specific devs will probably make a puzzle/brain training game for the DS.
Also, don't forget about downloadable games on PSN and XBLA,
JP specific devs can create games for a small price and can reach outside of Japan, no logistics involved, no discs printing, manual printing, dvd/bd cases etc.

1-D_FTW

Smiles and Cries said:
Well thats kinda the point... If Boogy Nights is limited to charaters dancing and singing in a small room... sure you can push graphics even more because you have a small area to work with.

To me it did not look like something I have not seen in Rayman Raving Raddids
I would like to see more, maybe I missed some vids?

There's only the one video. I just find that until I've watched it full screen on my HDTV, I don't make judgements anymore. Cause games that look really good on the computer monitor, can suddenly look blah all blown up.

Limited arenas are obviously a factor, but I've not seen any fighters that come close to making that transition as well either. It just impresses me.

And to the posters about my calling it Boogie Nights instead of Boogie: Revoke my nerd card, you got me:)

ziran

gogogow said:
But we were talking about namco, capcom, konami etc and the likes.
I acknowledged this in my reply. I was commenting on the state of Japanese development for Japanese specific studios.

Outside of the anime games, I don't see any JP specific games.

And a Japan specific dev wouldn't have the money to make a PS3/360 game anyway.
I don't think a dev would make a PS3/360 game for Japan only, the JP market cannot and will not sustain such game (unless the game is called DQ).
JP specific devs will probably make a puzzle/brain training game for the DS.
Also, don't forget about downloadable games on PSN and XBLA,
JP specific devs can create games for a small price and can reach outside of Japan, no logistics involved, no discs printing, manual printing, dvd/bd cases etc.
The support for Wii will come, that was my point. An equallly big part to PS1, PS2, SNES and NES's success was having a huge range of titles because even smaller developers could make money due to the huge installed bases.

At the rate Wii is selling, globally, most developers will have to support it. I'm not saying PS3 and 360 development will stop, rather major 3rd party support from most 3rd parties (including Capcom, Namco, Konami, Sega, S-E) for Wii, will happen.

Tf53

Vinnk said:
I'm back in Japan! So I will have a "Vinnk's Village" sales report for this week. I'll be stopping by the stores tomorrow so please tell me what games I should be looking for. I'm about 3 weeks out of the loop now, so please let me know what games/systems might currently be supply contrained so I can check it out.
I wanna know what's happening with Old Reliable!

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
PantherLotus said:
This Week Sales:

GOLDEN WEEK: Expectations for 04/30-05/07
360 - 8k*
Wii - 98k*
PS3 - 15k*

* = within 8k estimation success the previous week!

Seriously...they offer an American Football game as their marquis Golden Week title? It's almost like they want the PS3 to fail.

I expect Wii at 150k for GW, and maybe, just maybe 30k for PS3, 360 sounds about right, oh, and 250k DS Lites to be sold, seriously.

My Chemical Mouse said:
Sadly these threads have become a complete joke, with actual numbers overshadowed by the usual lolNinwins nonsense.

But, the sales, they, Nintendo, 65% of Next gen console share, DS selling 200k+, ah forget it, once a Anti Nintendo, Pro Sony leaning troll....

Parl

Stop It said:
I expect Wii at 150k for GW, and maybe, just maybe 30k for PS3, 360 sounds about right, oh, and 500k DS Lites to be sold, seriously.

I think you're overestimating them all, to be honest. Sales went down for this week last year, did they not? I'd think that because the majority of Golden Week is this week (or last week, depending on the way you look at it) that sale would increase. I dunno.

FrankT

Stop It said:
I expect Wii at 150k for GW, and maybe, just maybe 30k for PS3, 360 sounds about right, oh, and 500k DS Lites to be sold, seriously.

But, the sales, they, Nintendo, 65% of Next gen console share, DS selling 200k+, ah forget it, once a Anti Nintendo, Pro Sony leaning troll....

Dreamland

Tf53

Jtyettis said:
Dreamland
Totally. I predict 100k for Wii (assuming they're shipping as much as the previous week), 14k for PS3 and 5k for 360. 300k for DS, or whatever they ship.

Stop It

Jtyettis said:
Dreamland

Wow, thats a first,me, accused of being overly Bullish on the PS3? somebody pinch me I think I'm in Kansas :p

creamsugar

April Sales (Famitsu 3/26 - 4/29)

DS Lite - 700K
Wii - 280K
PSP - 150K
PS3 - 70K

1. Gyakuten Saiban 4(DS)- 338,060
2. Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings(DS)- 289,325
3. Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix +(PS2)- 260,383
4. Super Paper Mario(Wii)- 239,503
5. Musou OROCHI(PS2)- 214,747
6. Yoshi's Island DS(DS)- 184,179
7. Wii Sports(Wii)- 169,792
8. More English Training(DS)- 163,828
9. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis(DS)- 158,623
10. Fate/Stay Night [Realta Nua](PS2)- 157,834

Pokemon (DS) 5M total

and GOLDEN WEEK
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/05/09/103,1178702768,71378,0,0.html

creamsugar

Nintendo's GOLDEN WEEK (4/30 - 5/6) :lol

1. Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings(DS)
2. Super Paper Mario (Wii)
3. Wii Sports (Wii)
4. Momotarou Dentetsu DS (DS)
5. Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (Wii)
6. Yoshi's Island DS(DS)
7. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis(DS)
8. New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
9. Wii Play (Wii)
10. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (DS)

creamsugar said:

4 Wii and 6 DS. Can someone translate ?

EDIT: Thanks.

EDIT 2:

creamsugar said:

3. Wii Sports (Wii)
6. Yoshi's Island DS(DS)
9. Wii Play (Wii)

WOW and Ri-WOW.

creamsugar said:
Nintendo 's GOLDEN Week (4/30 - 5/6) :lol

3. Wii Sports (Wii)
6. Yoshi's Island DS(DS)
9. Wii Play (Wii)
10. Pokemon (DS)

Yowch. Nintendomination indeed.

This isn't even fun anymore.

Bo130

I think it's...

1. Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
2. Super Paper Mario
3. Wii Sports
4. Momotarou Dentetsu DS: Tokyo & Japan
5. Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
6. Yoshi's Island DS
7. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis
8. New Super Mario Bros (!!)
9. Wii Play
10. Pokémon Diamond & Pearl

EDIT: Waaaay to slow ;_;

Cruceh

Banned
creamsugar said:

3. Wii Sports (Wii)
6. Yoshi's Island DS(DS)
9. Wii Play (Wii)

The 4 million sellers resurface! :eek:!

Diablos54

creamsugar said:

3. Wii Sports (Wii)
6. Yoshi's Island DS(DS)
9. Wii Play (Wii)
It's just not funny now...

:lol :lol :lol :lol What am I saying, this'll ALWAYS be funny!

Stop It

creamsugar said:

3. Wii Sports (Wii)
6. Yoshi's Island DS(DS)
9. Wii Play (Wii)

Seriously, what the hell, why is NSMB up there, I cant wait to see figures, SPM still going strong, highest selling SPM in Japan? (And why the hell havent we got it NoE? :/) Wii Sports 3rd, meaning another huge week for Wii, Pokemon showing up for the umpteenth time, and is this the start of some uber legs for BBA?

I think that it is almost safe to say that Nintendo has the monopole of videogames in Japan. The domination is just getting always more total every week,

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
4 games based on the Mario universe vs 3 games based on the Mii universe.
This fight will get better when Mario Galaxy, Smash Bro, Wii Music and Wii Sports 2 are released.

Aeris130

creamsugar said:
April Sales (Famitsu 3/26 - 4/29)
DS Lite - 700K

What's the DS/DSL highest selling number/week?

Edit: Not to confuse different markets (or am I?), but that's almost the PS3's entire LTD in a week. 0_0

Koren

Aeris130 said:

Edit: Not to confuse different markets (or am I?), but that's almost the PS3's entire LTD in a week. 0_0
Err it's a whole month ? (still impressive for april, but...) ^_^

Hammer24

Banned
Aeris130 said:

Month, not week! ;-)

Regarding Pantherlotus' "I didn't want Sony to fail" explanation earlier...

I wanted it to. Success of the PS3 in the face of any adversity would have opened the floodgates to consoles costing 600+ dollars for future. I've said before that if the PS3 won, I would leave gaming, because honestly, it would be too expensive. I'm glad that the market wouldn't bear the cost of a 600 dollar console.

The 360 at 400 is a good alternative, but honestly, the 360 isn't running anything without Japan, so that was out from the beginning.

Also, as much as I love Nintendo, I know that if Nintendo had to carry another system themselves, we wouldn't have seen the limits of what the Wii remote could really do. I really think we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg as far as its abilities are concerned, and 3rd parties would explore what Nintendo wouldn't. What would be the incentive if Nintendo was floundering again?

Just trying to stimulate some discussion in these threads again that isn't Tabris related...

test_account

XP-39C²
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I think that it is almost safe to say that Nintendo has the monopole of videogames in Japan. The domination is just getting always more total every week,

Nintendo is pretty much dominating the japanese marked at the moment indeed, but domination is not the same as monopoly ;) With monopoly there is only one seller on the marked.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Aeris130 said:

According to JOSHUA JAMES SLONE via Media-Create,
linecompare.php

DS's highest week was around 600k in a week, DS Lite's highest week was around 450k in a week.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Aeris130 said:

It's 700k in a month (April) :)

Anyone doubting the power of Mario Galaxy is going to need to take a running jump back to their mothers womb, and not come out for a long while.
Japan is back in Mario and Nintendo fever, Wii is hot and Mario is extremely hot right now

Mario Galaxy In Japan should match near enough Halo3’s numbers in the USA and then Galaxy has USA sales and European sales.

And then there’s SSB:B to come........*GULP*

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Stop It said:

Software and hardware sales are likely to stay the same or even decline when comparing golden week to this week.

ksamedi

DefectiveReject said:
Anyone doubting the power of Mario Galaxy is going to need to take a running jump back to their mothers womb, and not come out for a long while.
Japan is back in Mario and Nintendo fever, Wii is hot and Mario is extremely hot right now

Mario Galaxy In Japan should match near enough Halo3’s numbers in the USA and then Galaxy has USA sales and European sales.

I doubt that Mario Galaxy will reach NSMB sales. NSMB is selling so well because it also appeals to casuals and non gamers, its quite simple and resembles the NES Mario's. Galaxy Will probably do well, but i think it will do better in the American and European markets.

DeaconKnowledge said:

I wanted it to. Success of the PS3 in the face of any adversity would have opened the floodgates to consoles costing 600+ dollars for future. I've said before that if the PS3 won, I would leave gaming, because honestly, it would be too expensive. I'm glad that the market wouldn't bear the cost of a 600 dollar console.

The 360 at 400 is a good alternative, but honestly, the 360 isn't running anything without Japan, so that was out from the beginning.

Also, as much as I love Nintendo, I know that if Nintendo had to carry another system themselves, we wouldn't have seen the limits of what the Wii remote could really do. I really think we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg as far as its abilities are concerned, and 3rd parties would explore what Nintendo wouldn't. What would be the incentive if Nintendo was floundering again?

Just trying to stimulate some discussion in these threads again that isn't Tabris related...

Yeah, I understand your point, but I'm worried that if some type of games like Wii Sports of Brain Age have too much success in comparison to "real" games like FF or Zelda, Nintendo and Third Parties will develop more and more "different" games and less and less standard games.

I'm for an equilibrium between the two. I just hope that the bad sales of Twilight Princess in Japan will not become the normality...

ksamedi said:
I doubt that Mario Galaxy will reach NSMB sales. NSMB is selling so well because it also appeals to casuals and non gamers, its quite simple and resembles the NES Mario's. Galaxy Will probably do well, but i think it will do better in the American and European markets.
A real Mario platform on a HOT console, will sell like mad in Japan, by the time Galaxy comes out a lot of big titles from 3rd parties will of hit and the installed base will probably be double or more what it is now!

fanduck

DefectiveReject said:

Do the japanese like 3d mario games? It's always seemed like those games have done relatively poorly in Japan compared to America.

Tobor

DeaconKnowledge said:

I agree with everything you said here. Great post.

Haunted

creamsugar said:

3. Wii Sports (Wii)
6. Yoshi's Island DS(DS)
9. Wii Play (Wii)
boooring. :p

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I'm for an equilibrium between the two. I just hope that the bad sales of Twilight Princess in Japan will not become the normality...
Agreed. The quality of Twilight Princess definitely deserved more sales in its home country.

fanduck said:
Do the japanese like 3d mario games? It's always seemed like those games have done relatively poorly in Japan compared to America.

Well, you have to take into account the fact that the Super Mario 64 came out alongside the console. So, the installed base was very small. Super Mario Sunshine came out on Gamecube. You said this, you said all.

This will be the first time that a Super Mario 3D Title comes out on a Nintendo's dominant home system in Japan. So, the installed base will be very large and the Wii is very hot right now. There are all the pre-conditions to make Super Mario Galaxy a big seller.

I think that it'll sell a lot more then Mario 64, but less the New Super Mairo bros. because the DS a SO huge installed base, that it will be impossible for the Wii to reach it in time.

Top Bottom