• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/23 - 4/29

creamsugar said:
Nintendo's GOLDEN WEEK (4/30 - 5/6) :lol

1. Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings(DS)
2. Super Paper Mario (Wii)
3. Wii Sports (Wii)
4. Momotarou Dentetsu DS (DS)
5. Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (Wii)
6. Yoshi's Island DS(DS)
7. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis(DS)
8. New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
9. Wii Play (Wii)
10. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (DS)

They're alive! and kicking Arse!!!

Can't believe they're back in the game now, especially since PKMN dropped off the top 30 completely! And WTF?! @ Mario vs DK2 and YIDS, how can they keep on going?

Can't wait for the numbers!

fanduck

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Well, you have to take into account the fact that the Super Mario 64 came out alongside the console. So, the installed base was very small. Super Mario Sunshine came out on Gamecube. You said this, you said all.

This will be the first time that a Super Mario 3D Title comes out on a Nintendo's dominant home system in Japan. So, the installed base will be very large and the Wii is very hot right now. There are all the pre-conditions to make Super Mario Galaxy a big seller.

I think that it'll sell a lot more then Mario 64, but less the New Super Mairo bros. because the DS a SO huge installed base, that it will be impossible for the Wii to reach it in time.

All those same points could be said for a 3d Mario game in America too, yet they sold much much better in America. They sold well in Japan, just not nearly as well. I just wonder if maybe Japan doesn't like the 3d games as much as Americans.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Yeah, I understand your point, but I'm worried that if some type of games like Wii Sports of Brain Age have too much success in comparison to "real" games like FF or Zelda, Nintendo and Third Parties will develop more and more "different" games and less and less standard games.

I'm for an equilibrium between the two. I just hope that the bad sales of Twilight Princess in Japan will not become the normality...
well, i think Super Paper Mario is a 'real game' and that is selling well. japan didn't bite off on zelda for whatever reason, but they are biting off on super paper mario which is a 'real game'.

fanduck said:
All those same points could be said for a 3d Mario game in America too, yet they sold much much better in America. They sold well in Japan, just not nearly as well. I just wonder if maybe Japan doesn't like the 3d games as much as Americans.

I was talking only about Japan. Definitely there is a huge difference between Japan and Americas. Even with Twilight Princess, this difference came out clearly. Poor sales in Japan, but very good in USA. Probably this is related to the different audiences.

plagiarize said:
well, i think Super Paper Mario is a 'real game' and that is selling well. japan didn't bite off on zelda for whatever reason, but they are biting off on super paper mario which is a 'real game'.

In fact I still hope that Zelda was only an ("almost") isolated case.

Evlar

Banned
We shouldn't count BBA:Wii out for the count yet. Given the reappearance of NSMB in the top ten I'm expecting a monstrous week for DS hardware.

fanduck

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I was talking only about Japan.

I was simply pointing out that those weren't good excuses for the game not selling as well in Japan as they did in America since they were released in the exact same circumstances.

clo1_2000

Banned
wwwdespaircom.jpeg

Jonnyram

According to sinobi...

DS sold more than 200k again (lol)
FF12RW 100k
Yoshi 50k
NSMB 45k
Brain Age 2, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, etc all coming up the charts.
Pokemon, Tamagotchi, Digimon, and other kid's games all selling well.

Momotaro Dentetsu 60k
Mario vs DK2 40k (200k total)
GS4 35k
PdP DS 30k
English Training 2 200k total
Layton 500k total

Wii 80k
Super Paper Mario 90k
BBA Wii 60k (100k total)

PSP 40k
PS2/PS3 not budging much

Evlar

Banned
Jonnyram said:
According to sinobi...

FF12RW 100k
Yoshi 50k
NSMB 45k

Momotaro Dentetsu 60k
GS4 35k
PdP DS 30k
Layton 500k total

Wii 80k
Super Paper Mario 90k
BBA Wii 60k (100k total)

PSP 40k
PS2/PS3 not budging much
BBA:Wii went up by 50%...

fanduck said:

Yeah, but the N64 (and even the Gamecube) was in a better position in America. In Japan the N64 didn't sold SO better then the Gamecube (5+ millions vs. 4 millions). And this is the first time since the SNES that Nintendo has fully recovered the japanese market. And this is the first time that the japanese market is so much important for Nintendo (in terms of % market share in the world).

So, what I mean is that the situation is much more favorable for Mario Galaxy in Japan. But I understand your point: in USA, Mario has sold a lot even on the N64 and on Gamecube. Probably because here the Mario franchine is (was ?) a lot stronger. Well, proportionally to the hardware's sales, Super Mario 64 has sold pretty good in Japan too... In USA the sales were bigger, becaue the hardware sold was also a lot more...

Well, it is a combination of factors at the end. But I remain optimistic on Mario Galaxy's sales in Japan.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jonnyram said:
According to sinobi...

FF12RW 100k
Yoshi 50k
NSMB 45k

Momotaro Dentetsu 60k
GS4 35k
PdP DS 30k
Layton 500k total

Wii 80k
Super Paper Mario 90k
BBA Wii 60k (100k total)

PSP 40k
PS2/PS3 not budging much

BBA Wii has great legs, but this is typical fo all Brain games. What is the best selling Paper Mario Title in Japan before Super Paper Mario came out ?

Diablos54

So SPM becomes the highest selling PM in Japan, BBA: Wii beings to show its legs, Layton passes the 500k mark and the DS rapes everyone again. What a nice week. :lol

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Jonnyram said:
According to sinobi...

FF12RW 100k
Yoshi 50k
NSMB 45k

Momotaro Dentetsu 60k
GS4 35k
PdP DS 30k
Layton 500k total

Wii 80k
Super Paper Mario 90k
BBA Wii 60k (100k total)

PSP 40k
PS2/PS3 not budging much

So, Layton 500k, surely, surely it should be translated for that, awesome sales, well done Level 5, SPM going on nicely, not likely I know, but I so hope that reaches non-game status in Japan, might silence a few critics, and BBA rolling along, cruical month ahead though, will it manage DS style stubborn top 10-20 clinging, or will it drop like a stone, place your bets.

fanduck

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Yeah, but the N64 (and even the Gamecube) was in a better position in America. In Japan the N64 didn't sold SO better then the Gamecube (5+ millions vs. 4 millions). And this is the first time since the SNES that Nintendo has fully recovered the japanese market. And this is the first time that the japanese market is so much important for Nintendo (in terms of % market share in the world).

So, what I mean is that the situation is much more favorable for Mario Galaxy in Japan. But I understand your point: in USA, Mario has sold a lot even on the N64 and on Gamecube. Probably because here the Mario franchine is (was ?) a lot stronger. Well, proportionally to the hardware's sales, Super Mario 64 has sold pretty good in Japan too... In USA the sales were bigger, becaue the hardware sold was also a lot more...

Well, it is a combination of factors at the end. But I remain optimistic on Mario Galaxy's sales in Japan

Ah, I see your point now. I didn't really know how well N64 and GC sold in Japan, I just assumed they were similar to America. It just looked to me that Japan didn't like the 3d Mario... This fall will definitely be an interesting time for both NPD and Media Create threads!

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
What an unfortunate week for the wii to be supply constrained.. 80k in golden week while it did 100k+ the week prior? They could of easily done another 100k+.

Wasted opportunity considering software took a huge boost.

Taurus

Eteric Rice said:
I still don't think BBA is going to do that great on the Wii.

I could be wrong, though.
Agreed. It seems, plays and smells like a handheld game, not something you expect from a home console game. If Wii Sports isn't what Brain Training is to DS, then Wii Health Pack propably is. But not BBA.

Just my two cents. :)

Eteric Rice said:

I have the same impression. We have to think that Brain Training has had a low start because it still hadn't the repuation now has. Brain Training 2 surfed on this reputation and sold a lot more quickly. BBA Wii should have surfed in a similar way to Brain Training 2 (perhaps something less then Brain Training 2 because it is not on the DS).

So, I don't think that BBA will sell more then a half-million. This week is up overall because ALL is up due to the Golden Week. But who knows ? Perhaps it'll have great legs...

thaivo

Eteric Rice said:

I think you may be wrong, as BBA is more about competition than Brain Age, and competition is such an important part of the Wii. I mean I don't have any trouble getting my wife to play bowling with me, and we don't have to whip out our 2 DS's to play. We just turn on the Wii for a battle of the minds... I can't wait till this comes out (hopefully at a budget price, although looking at the pricing of Cooking Mama...) and have my parents or mother and father-in-law go at it...

It's going to be glorious!:lol

polluar

The Black Brad Pitt said:
What an unfortunate week for the wii to be supply constrained.. 80k in golden week while it did 100k+ the week prior? They could of easily done another 100k+.

yeah but according to sinobi wii sold 75k last week and Media Create reported 102 k. So maybe this week Media create numbers may show a new gap with sinobi's Wii numbers

M3d10n

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Yeah, I understand your point, but I'm worried that if some type of games like Wii Sports of Brain Age have too much success in comparison to "real" games like FF or Zelda, Nintendo and Third Parties will develop more and more "different" games and less and less standard games.

I'm for an equilibrium between the two. I just hope that the bad sales of Twilight Princess in Japan will not become the normality...

But would the "real" games be selling more if Wii Sports or the DS non-games never existed?

Going by the trolls' logic, the non-games and Wii Sports don't appeal to "true" gamers, thus they shouldn't eat the mat00r games sales. If that's so, the "real" games would be selling as much as they are today.

Jirotrom

we cant call out the PS3 yet FFXIII hasn't been released.
:lol :lol :lol

Nintendo is seriously dominating right now. Sony needs to gt their act together NOW.

pickwick

The Black Brad Pitt said:

last week, sinobi (and famitsu) said Wii = 75k. Then Media create told us today that wii = 103k...

Wii comparisons: At 22 weeks, Wii is where GameCube was at 96.3 weeks (July 15, 2003), where DS was at 22.5 weeks (May 4, 2005), where PS2 was at 20.2 weeks (July 17, 2000), and where PSP was at 52.5 weeks (December 7, 2005).

PS3 comparisons: At 25 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 3.0 weeks (March 19, 2000), where PSP was at 10.4 weeks (February 16, 2005), where GCN was at 15.5 weeks (December 26, 2001), and where Wii was at 4.4 weeks (December 26, 2006).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares are 11.1 / 88.9. Like last week and the week before it's another near-record for Wii's share, but still slightly below launch week. Total shares are now 27.5 / 72.5. If Wii stops selling and PS3 continues at this rate, it catches up in 110.1 weeks (June 8, 2009). If "the flip" occurred, it would take PS3 15.7 weeks to catch up (August 16, 2007).

PS2 vs DS: At this week's rates, PS2 and DS meet up in 15.8 weeks (August 17, 2007) at 20.66 million apiece.

DS+DSL passes 2.5 million 3 weeks sooner than last year.

test11pacportable.php

test11pacconsole.php

birdchili said:
and there is *surely* going to be a ps3 price drop.
Sure, but financially it would be easier for Wii to reach $100 than for PS3 to reach $300.
The Sphinx said:
Any of our usual analysts around? Josh? PantherLotus? I would like to see the obvious situation explained in brutal, bloodless language backed up with cool charts.
I actually had my usual stuff ready right quick last night... then had trouble connecting to NeoGAF for the next half day.
fanduck said:
Do the japanese like 3d mario games? It's always seemed like those games have done relatively poorly in Japan compared to America.
Well, that's what we said about 2D Mario games, too, until New Super Mario Bros.

SM64 and SMS sales were lower in Japan, yeah, but I don't think the ratio of sales to hardware was much different. SM64DS I really haven't been following in the US, but in Japan it's beyond 1 million.

Eteric Rice

I just think Big Brain Academy was more of a handheld game. It'll do fine, but I just don't think it's going to sell a million. Maybe half a million?

I think Wii Health, and Wii Music will be the ones that sell.

I do wish Nintendo would release a compilation of traditional board games (Chess, Checkers, etc) with online for the Wii. I bet that would do pretty well.

Kafel

Banned
Diablos54 said:
So SPM becomes the highest selling PM in Japan

?

:lol @ people thinking BBA will do better than Brain Training DS. It's not possible, there will be only 1 BBA at max in a household.

Flakster99

polluar said:
yeah but according to sinobi wii sold 75k last week and Media Create reported 102 k. So maybe this week Media create numbers may show a new gap with sinobi's Wii numbers

Credit to sinobi, his software numbers have been very close to final week software numbers. Hardware numbers can be way out there, it is a toss up.

It completely boggles the mind what the hell is going on with Japan. In every single way, from every point of view, it's a utter and total victory for Nintendo.

- DS is still on fire. Its still supply constrained!?!!
- Wii really showing strength. It's about clear now it's following the steps of it's handheld sister.
- Mario = back.
- BBA showing legs, also similar to it's DS counterparts
- Mii games are the new hotness.
- The whole top 10 consists out of Titles for Nintendo platforms (and I suspect the rest of the top 50 is also Nintendominated)
- The million sellers just keep on going and going and going and going, the won't fukcing die!
- And -not so good for gamers, all the better for Nintendo- there is no competition anymore. Sony am dead, Xbox never lived.

HOLY SNAPPLECAKES!
bonk.gif
emo.gif

I know I'm stating the obvious, but at this point it's just completely absurd. It's not funny anymore. Thank god Sony and MS got Europe and the US to rely on, or I'd be seriously worried.

Tobor

Eteric Rice said:
I just think Big Brain Academy was more of a handheld game. It'll do fine, but I just don't think it's going to sell a million. Maybe half a million?

I think Wii Health, and Wii Music will be the ones that sell.

I do wish Nintendo would release a compilation of traditional board games (Chess, Checkers, etc) with online for the Wii. I bet that would do pretty well.

Club House Games Wii would be fantastic.

Eteric Rice

Souldriver said:
It completely boggles the mind what the hell is going on with Japan. In every single way, from every point of view, it's a utter and total victory for Nintendo.

- DS is still on fire. Its still supply constrained!?!!
- Wii really showing strength. It's about clear now it's following the steps of it's handheld sister.
- Mario = back.
- BBA showing legs, also similar to it's DS counterparts
- Mii games are the new hotness.
- The whole top 10 consists out of Titles for Nintendo platforms (and I suspect the rest of the top 50 is also Nintendominated)
- The million sellers just keep on going and going and going and going, the won't fukcing die!
- And -not so good for gamers, all the better for Nintendo- there is no competition anymore. Sony am dead, Xbox never lived.

HOLY SNAPPLECAKES!
bonk.gif
emo.gif

I know I'm stating the obvious, but at this point it's just completely absurd. It's not funny anymore. Thank god Sony and MS got Europe and the US to rely on, or I'd be seriously worried.

Even though Nintendo doesn't own the US and Europe, they still have a nice share of them. :)

I'm not worried about the competition for the Wii/ DS, but for the third parties. I want to see them start pushing their best on the systems, now.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Now, this weeks numbers will be a confirmation of we thought would happen. Wii is going to follow the DS path. Wii Sports, Wii PLay, Big Brain Wii, and Super Paper Mario are going to handle the system greatly until Super Mario Galaxy. And just wait for more games.

I see RE4 Wii Edition getting over the 500K soon. It's going to be the first hardcore game really hitting the casual market due to the pointer function of the game, and also due to Capcom's perfect campaign.

I can't wait to see Xmas 2K7 sales. Wii is going to be great, and DS with DQIX will skyrocket the japanese industry.

M3d10n said:
But would the "real" games be selling more if Wii Sports or the DS non-games never existed?

Going by the trolls' logic, the non-games and Wii Sports don't appeal to "true" gamers, thus they shouldn't eat the mat00r games sales. If that's so, the "real" games would be selling as much as they are today.

This is true and false at the same time. True because games like Brain Training and Wii Sports are really selling overall to who's never played games before. So, it is a different audience and we know this simply from the sales.
But we know also that Wii and DS are affecting somehow the PS3 and the PSP. This cannot be denied (we can discuss on the dimension of this contrast). There is a set of intersection between the consoles and the proof is that in many cases people made a choice between the two systems: these people are in that set. For example, a lot of Gaffers are included in that section.
The interesting thing is that the majority of the hardcore are potentially DS or Wii buyers and so they are comprised in the intersection. But who that has never played hardly will go in the intersection because it should buy a hardcore machine.
In other words, the system is hardly bijective.

syfodyas

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
This is true and false at the same time. True because games like Brain Training and Wii Sports are really selling overall to who's never played games before. So, it is a different audience and we know this simply from the sales.
But we know also that Wii and DS are affecting somehow the PS3 and the PSP. This cannot be denied (we can discuss on the dimension of this contrast). There is a set of intersection between the consoles and the proof is that in many cases people made a choice between the two systems: these people are in that set. For example, a lot of Gaffers are included in that section.
The interesting thing is that the majority of the hardcore are potentially DS or Wii buyers and so they are comprised in the intersection. But who that has never played hardly will go in the intersection because it should buy a hardcore machine.
In other words, the system is hardly bijective.
Architect.gif

The real question now is how much does SE charge Sony for FFXIII exclusivity. The stakes are pretty high for SE, because releasing FFXIII on a floundering PS3 could see the franchise lose relevance because of poor sales.

The moneyhats must be huge.

(Remember: No mention of trains or ye shall be whipped)

Jonnyram said:
According to sinobi...

FF12RW 100k
Yoshi 50k
NSMB 45k

Momotaro Dentetsu 60k
GS4 35k
PdP DS 30k
Layton 500k total

Wii 80k
Super Paper Mario 90k
BBA Wii 60k (100k total)

PSP 40k
PS2/PS3 not budging much

Hot damn! Everything got a huge boost. NSMB almost doubling its sales after being out for a year. SPM and BBA both have great legs and should finish with strong sales. Good to hear that Layton passed the inevitable 500k, and GS should do the same in a few weeks.

I know this may sound crazy, but nothing is out of the question when it comes to software sales anymore. Can NSMB pass the original Super Mario in sales? Isnt it only like 2 million away?

Tobor

bananabread said:
The real question now is how much does SE charge Sony for FFXIII exclusivity. The stakes are pretty high for SE, because releasing FFXIII on a floundering PS3 could see the franchise lose relevance because of poor sales.

The moneyhats must be huge.

(Remember: No mention of trains or ye shall be whipped)

simmonsbighateq6.jpg

super funk said:
Hot damn! Everything got a huge boost. NSMB almost doubling its sales after being out for a year. SPM and BBA both have great legs and should finish with strong sales. Good to hear that Layton passed the inevitable 500k, and GS should do the same in a few weeks.

I know this may sound crazy, but nothing is out of the question when it comes to software sales anymore. Can NSMB pass the original Super Mario in sales? Isnt it only like 2 million away?

Super Mario Bros. sold 6.81 millions (not sure, something similar) in Japan. At this point...I think it is unlikely, but not impossible.

Aeris130

super funk said:
Can NSMB pass the original Super Mario in sales? Isnt it only like 2 million away?

44 weeks away, given that it sells at least 46000 copies every week and that it's 2000'000 units behind SMB.

I'm betting it'll have topped SMB by the time DS2 is announced, but not by a very wide margin. This game seems to get a boost whenever there's a major software sale going on.

Top Bottom