• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/30 - 5/06

bananabread said:
Here in Australia Harvey Norman (a major electronics chain that advertises a lot of hardware on TV) got the shaft from Nintendo on Wii supply because they dropped support during the GC era.

I remember hearing about that. lol @ how that worked out for them.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
BrodiemanTTR said:
I remember hearing about that. lol @ how that worked out for them.

They advertise the PSP and PS3 REALLY heavily too, its quite annoying.

One commercial they spoke of software that would allow you to play movies or some programs on your psp and you could get a free in store lesson on how to use the program.

god bless them for trying.

Go Harvey go harvey go harvey normannnn GO!

santouras

speedpop said:
Harvey Norman is a joke and it's funny to see it all backfire on them.
I have nothing but disdain for Harvey Norman being as they sell 1m HDMI cables for over $200. There should be a law against that kind of highway robbery

apujanata

vicious_killer_squirrel said:
What I found funny is that because the GC had done so badly here in Australia, they thought they had Nintendo by the balls. They were so sure Nintendo would bow to their wishes as a mega retailer that they went so far as to announce that they would start stocking Nintendo stuff again. Nintendo immediately countered this with their own press release stating that this wasn't true - they had "refused to do business with them".

Do you have the link to the Harvey's statement, and Nintendo's counter press release ? It should be fun to have the link. :)

legend166 said:
My friend works at a Harvey Norman here in Sydney and he said that that store lost $500 on the PS3 midnight launch.
How big are Harvey Norman's margins on each PS3? I imagine them to be quite slim (given that Sony and just about everyone else expected them to fly off the shelves). I wouldn't mind knowing just how big their sales shortfall would have been for them to lose $500.

Does Harvey Norman buy their stock from Sony outright, or do they do that thing where stock belongs to the manufacturer until sold and the store takes a cut of the sale before sending the rest back?

EDIT:

I've found some stories regarding the whole Harvey Norman debacle:

HN: We are currently negotiating terms with Nintendo

Nintendo gives HN the finger

And as an added bonus:

JB Hi-Fi gloats about HN getting the royal shaft

LusDekkar

http://www.smarthousenews.com.au/Business_News?Article=/Business%20News/L6T8A6G2 said:
"They are telling the market that we are in discussions with them but this is not true. We don't like their terms or the way they operate and we are refusing to do business with them." said Nintendo Public Relations Manager, Vispi Bhopti.

He added "We are dealing with most mass retailers with the exception of Harvey Norman. Their terms are ridiculous. The Nintendo Wii is set to be a hot product going into the peak Xmas buying period so why should we give away margin to Harvey Norman. We are confident that the new Nintendo gaming console will drive sales during the peak buying period that is coming up"

Basically sums it up.

EDIT: beaten :(

At any rate, I'm still not clear on what kind of things the "Playstation No More" store normally sells. Are they a toy store? Do they sell electronics? Whitegoods? Why do they have a bear as their logo?

Any sinobi numbers for the week yet ?

Do we know how much is first shipment for Ouendan 2 ?

I bet it will surpass Ouendan LTD the first week (around 50k)

Mar

At any rate, I'm still not clear on what kind of things the "Playstation No More" store normally sells. Are they a toy store? Do they sell electronics? Whitegoods? Why do they have a bear as their logo?

Harvey Norman sell everything that plugs into an electrical socket. They are huge and offer very popular deals like 12 months interest free credit purchases. Approval done on the spot.

So Nintendo probably took a gamble by not giving them their new console. But one that ended up hurting Harvey Norman more than anything.

Moor-Angol said:

I have a bad feeling Shining Wind is out to outsell Odin Sphere and Ouendan 2 combined...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Moor-Angol said:

Ouendan got way past 50k, by the end of June 06 it was at about 60k and recently Keiichi Yano told us it past 100k.

Haunted

If I remember correctly, Harvey Norman got the shaft because they wanted more than their fair cut of Wii sales. That is to say, they wanted to buy them from Nintendo at a lower price than normal (which is what they apparently do all the time).

What I found funny is that because the GC had done so badly here in Australia, they thought they had Nintendo by the balls. They were so sure Nintendo would bow to their wishes as a mega retailer that they went so far as to announce that they would start stocking Nintendo stuff again. Nintendo immediately countered this with their own press release stating that this wasn't true - they had "refused to do business with them".
karma's a bitch sometimes. :lol

Vinnk

Sorry guys I was unable to call Hello Mac today. I finished work really late. I will try again tomorrow. Now to open the copy of Ouendan 2 sitting on my table... If it's as good as the first one, you might not see me for a while...

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Vinnk said:
Now to open the copy of Ouendan 2 sitting on my table... If it's as good as the first one, you might not see me for a while...
I hate you Vinnk.

I really, really hate you.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
How big are Harvey Norman's margins on each PS3? I imagine them to be quite slim (given that Sony and just about everyone else expected them to fly off the shelves). I wouldn't mind knowing just how big their sales shortfall would have been for them to lose $500.

Does Harvey Norman buy their stock from Sony outright, or do they do that thing where stock belongs to the manufacturer until sold and the store takes a cut of the sale before sending the rest back?

EDIT:

And as an added bonus:

:lol

EDIT:

And as an added bonus:

Harvey Norman = OWNED.

ziran said:
Famitsu Top 10 May 7-13:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/05/16/103,1179308618,71799,0,0.html

1. Final Fantasy Tactics: The Lion War (PSP)
2. Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (DS)
3. Super Paper Mario (Wii)
4. Wii Sports (Wii)
5. More Brain Training (DS)
6. Momotarou Dentetsu DS: Tokyo & Japan (DS)
7. New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
8. Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (Wii)
9. More English Training (DS)
10. Brain Training (DS)
BBA seems to be holding on

fresquito

ziran said:
Famitsu Top 10 May 7-13:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/05/16/103,1179308618,71799,0,0.html

1. Final Fantasy Tactics: The Lion War (PSP)
2. Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (DS)
3. Super Paper Mario (Wii)
4. Wii Sports (Wii)
5. More Brain Training (DS)
6. Momotarou Dentetsu DS: Tokyo & Japan (DS)
7. New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
8. Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (Wii)
9. More English Training (DS)
10. Brain Training (DS)
SPM and BBA are showing some nice legs.

4 training titles in the top 10? Gaming in Japan dead confirmed.
Any idea what the sales numbers would be, I want to see if FF:RW has somewhat legs, which would be unusual for a FF game.
Glad to see a PSP game in the top 10.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Hohoho!

Seems like the Yawakara promo is putting back the Training Series on the Hot Spot. I can't hold my breath at that list. Wii is doing insanely well for such a short period, which means that people who bought a Wii are actively seeking for games. Yawakara holding means that the brand is on, and yet a hot spot. If Nintendo can release more games of this type soon, it's going to be another DS in term of flow sales.

Wii supplies might be constrained for all this year and maybe not after half 2K8. I don't remember who said it, but was absolutely right. Wii is much a hot Item as the DS. In Japan, it's going to be a madness. Can't wait to see Xmas sales. Nintendo needs to increase the production in more than two millions a month.

Super Paper Mario holding means a lot of things, that people is liking it, that Mario Brand is as powerful as ever, and that graphics doesn't matter in next gent systems is totally right. I'm very happy to see all those creative games making great numbers. The Training series is something that should have existed before. I can't understand how hardware makers like Sega, Neo Geo or NEC didn't never come up with a system like the DS. Really, Nintendo opened the Pandora box with it and it's new generation videogames.

Eteric Rice

I just hopped on over to Go Nintendo (shut up) and it looks like Korea is about to jump into DS development. There's already a Korean Dictionary and a Brain game coming out from them.

I've never seen Korea as a huge development source, it should be interesting seeing what they can make.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Eteric Rice said:
I just hopped on over to Go Nintendo (shut up) and it looks like Korea is about to jump into DS development. There's already a Korean Dictionary and a Brain game coming out from them.

I've never seen Korea as a huge development source, it should be interesting seeing what they can make.

They have a ton of talented devs in. Surely, korea will make someday games that everybody wants to buy. It's just a matter of time.

Eteric Rice

tanasten said:
They have a ton of talented devs in. Surely, korea will make someday games that everybody wants to buy. It's just a matter of time.

They do suck at MMOs, though. :(

That game with the tanks would be awesome on the DS, or something... What the hell is it called again?

GUNBOUND! Yes, that game is fun. :D

creamsugar said:
From Shinobi

PS3 < 10,000 last week.

Please, open a new Media Create Sales-topic.
Tihs one is too long and too old.
And we also already have Famitsu-numbers, so there is already a bit of content for a new topic.

creamsugar said:
From Shinobi

PS3 < 10,000 last week.
Uh oh

MasterMFauli said:
Please, open a new Media Create Sales-topic.
Tihs one is too long and too old.
And we also already have Famitsu-numbers, so there is already a bit of content for a new topic.
A new one will be opened when actual numbers are out.

Masklinn

creamsugar said:
From Shinobi

PS3 < 10,000 last week.
thread_rox_01.jpg

creamsugar said:
From Shinobi

PS3 < 10,000 last week.

*bites lip nervously*

What happens to NeoGAF if Thursday shows sub 10k PS3 in Japan and sub 100k PS3 in US? Is Christmas still on?

*cries uncontrollably*

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
MasterMFauli said:
Until then we´ll have dozens of rumor-numbers, that we that way have to discuss in here >_<
New thread needed.
no, we don't need a new thread

Masklinn

RiskyChris said:
What happens to NeoGAF if Thursday shows sub 10k PS3 in Japan and sub 100k PS3 in US? Is Christmas still on?
Drama, fear, blood, hatred and bitter, bitter tears.

And potentially Chemical Mouse's meltdown, but I wouldn't count on it too much.

Would be nice though.

Top Bottom