• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/9 - 4/15

1-D_FTW

Smiles and Cries said:
I seriously feel bad for Square and all of the other big devs with high production value games coming to the PS3 right now. I mean those games look killer and the PS3 is a beast but with these kinds of sales how the hell can they make a profit?

IF Software sells Hardware maybe just maybe japanese people will start buying PS3 when those big games hit.

As has been pointed out before, they'll probably just N64 it: Buy the game and a system, and resell when they're finished.

I wonder if the PS3 could cause a crash in the video games market in Japan?

I mean in the form of some devs who was banking heavily on the system having to close shop.

Tiktaalik

1-D_FTW said:
As has been pointed out before, they'll probably just N64 it: Buy the game and a system, and resell when they're finished.

I'm not really familiar with this, because I didn't follow games as much in the N64 days. Is that what happened in Japan with big releases like Mario 64 and Zelda?

There's some anecdotal evidence that this has happened with the Xbox 360 and Blue Dragon too isn't there?

Smiles and Cries said:
what is this moku train you guys speak of?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5947664&postcount=335

moku said:
Okay, I'm calling it in Japan. I have been hesitant, but with the Wii actually going up in sales with nothing coming out in Japan, It's now painfully obvious that its supply constrained.

I will go as far to state here and now that if this continues at this pace, and gets even worse for Sony, (This is my own personal opinion) that the up-coming FF game will, without a doubt be ported to the Wii within short order, or all-together moved to the Wii that may sound bold, and it may even sound ridiculous given the already extended dev time, but its not due to launch anytime soon, and S-E would be flat-out reatrded, and throwing hordes of cash/sales down the toilet by not going with the Wii on this one. You cannot send out a premiere title to die in the forest, and porting it to the 360 wont help matters either.

Japan is a lost cuase for Sony at this point. The trend is almost identical for that of the DS/PSP when the DS took off. I just cannot see how S-E would throw piles of money, and copies sold down the toilet. It's not even about moneyhas either. If a small % of people actully buy the game, as opposed to other FF games, you could actually hurt the luster of the series by having such low sales.

There I said it, and I am going to stick with it.

The moku train.

Smiles and Cries said:
I wonder if the PS3 could cause a crash in the video games market in Japan?

I mean in the form of some devs who was banking heavily on the system having to close shop.

Big guys like Konami and Square can take a hit since they make $$$ on other games. I think there would be a massive creativity fallout at Sony though. Since there is money to be made elsewhere, the market won't crash.

Smaller guys like Game Arts, Tri Ace, Tri Cresedo aren't even making PS3 games

This Week Sales:

mc-sales-070409.jpg

Since 11/27/07:
20 Total Weeks of Next Gen sales.
14 Total Weeks of post-holiday sales.

360 - Following the trend: 2-4k. Next Gen Avg = 8,778. Post Holiday Avg = 4,760.
Wii - Slightly above the trend: 55-72k. Next Gen Avg = 104,503. Post Holiday Avg = 70,562.
PS3 - NEW TREND: 10-20k. Next Gen Avg = 41,892. Post Holiday Avg = 22,168.

mc-weekly-20.jpg

mc-LTDs-20.jpg

Results, Analysis, & Expectations
● The 360's sales are insignificant. They will not hit 1 million units before its successor is announced. A week on week perspective (upper graph) actually shows a CONTINUED slide to oblivion. 2k-5k per week for the foreseeable future.

● PS3. Look at the weekly chart. Seriously. The PS3 line is practically humping the 360 line. And not in the good way. One announcement will put this thing out of its misery. 10-20k per week, with a tiny bump for the holiday.

● Up-swing week for the Wii. The Wii is clearly dependent upon hardware shipments, and it appears that units are being held back for a possible holiday-week blitz. 60-80k for the next several weeks, with a possible +20-40k bump for the holidays. 100k week would not be out of the question.

SPECIAL HOLIDAY EDITION: Expectations for 04/09-04/15
360 - 10k*
Wii - 92k >> underestimated last week by 9k.
PS3 - 20k << overestimated last week by 8k

* = within 5k estimation success the previous week!

This Week's Market Share:

mc-marketshare-070409.jpg

Market Share Week-to-Week

Code:
Date____               360             Wii             PS3
11/27-12/03:            25%             49%             26%
12/04-12/10:            24%             49%             27%
12/11-12/17:            21%             50%             29%
12/18-12/24:            17%             57%             26%
12/25-12/31:            16%             56%             28%
01/01-01/07:            15%             58%             27%
01/08-01/14:            14%             59%             27%
01/15-01/21:            14%             60%             26%
01/22-01/28:            13%             60%             26%
01/29-02/04:            13%             61%             26%
02/05-02/11:            13%             61%             26%
02/12-02/18:            13%             62%             26%
02/19-02/25:            12%             62%             25%
03/26-03/04:            12%             62%             26%
03/05-03/11:            12%             62%             26%
03/12-03/18:            11%             62%             26%
03/19-03/25:            11%             63%             26%
03/26-04/01:            11%             63%             26%
04/02-04/08:            11%             63%             26%
04/09-04/15:            11%             64%             26%

Significant Notes:
&#9679; The Wii has had a 1 million unit lead on the PS3 for 7 weeks. (currently 1,252,211 lead)
&#9679; The PS3 just had its worst week ever at 12k units (previous worst LAST WEEK).
&#9679; The Wii sold 6.34x the PS3 this week, and has 2.49x LTD.
&#9679; The Wii is around 3-4 months from breaking 3 million.
&#9679; The PS3 is around 3-4 from breaking 1 million.
&#9679; The PS3 has never. once. outsold. the Wii.

If sales repeated this week's results indefinitely, barring all other factors:
&#9679; The Wii will have a 2 million unit lead by September 2007. Seriously.
&#9679; The Wii will have a 3 million unit lead by FREAKING NOVEMBER 2007.

Additional thoughts
1. Rebound week for console hardware after two down weeks. (90k units total)
2. If you're developing for the PS3, you're going multi-platform. If not, Sony is paying you the difference.
3. I have officially moved up my "the PS3 has until this date to figure-it-the-****-out" to January 2008. And it won't.
4. Nintendo just won next-gen. Seriously. Reread this statement and go melt down your N64 and your GC for the failures that they really were.

5. The PS3 is THIS close ][ to 360-levels of Japanese irrelevance. Is that sinking in, boys? It will take barely one major announcement (FF, MGS, DQX, etc) from being the nail in the homeland coffin.

If i were a an executive for a developer working on an exclusive ps3 game right now, and my eyes had gently rested upon this weeks hardware sales, i'd have shit through my own mouth.

I am also on the moku boat now. I think Final Fantasy XIII will be put on hold and maybe if these horrible sales continue eventually cancelled.

The game was already in development for PS2, so I think they would port those assets over to Wii and start making the game from there. I hope they use the Bouncer engine though! The Bouncer looks better than FF12

Tiktaalik

Cheesemeister said:
Additional thoughts
4. Nintendo just won next-gen. Seriously. Reread this statement and go melt down your N64 and your GC for the failures that they really were.

5. The PS3 is THIS close ][ to 360-levels of Japanese irrelevance. Is that sinking in, boys? It will take barely one major announcement (FF, MGS, DQX, etc) from being the nail in the homeland coffin.

I'm not trying to spin the utterly horrible PS3 sales here, but can we really call it this early? I mean, shouldn't we at least wait until FFXIII
(is announced for the Wii)
before passing judgement on the PS3's lifetime sales potential?

Are there any examples of a console doing great only to have a poor early performer come from behind and win it all? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I haven't followed sales closely until now.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Not quite sure about the moku train just yet, but i'm betting the Wii gets the Final Fantasy VII remake whenever it's announced.

Xavien

Cheesemeister said:

Geez, that PS3 line is getting so close to the Xbox 360 line. I'm willing to entertain the possibility that the Xbox 360 'may' outsell the PS3 one week in the future...

Don't Cross the streams!

Saitou

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
I'm not trying to spin the utterly horrible PS3 sales here, but can we really call it this early? I mean, shouldn't we at least wait until FFXIII
(is announced for the Wii)
before passing judgement on the PS3's lifetime sales potential?

Are there any examples of a console doing great only to have a poor early performer come from behind and win it all? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I haven't followed sales closely until now.
What part of SELLING WORSE THAN GAMECUBE, MUCH WORSE don't you understand?

Nothing will save the PS3, man. Nothing.

Is it wrong for me to hope that FF13 will go multiplatform on the Wii? I mean, I believe that SE can crank out amazing things from the Wii if so inclined.

Cheesemeister said:

You know maybe thats the reason they said Nintendo fans should look out for the Square Party next month. Square may indeed announce a port of the game for Wii. It would be very wise to do this at this point. They don't have to show anything for the game, PS3 can still be lead platform but get a quality port started for Wii to cover your ass.

Rur0ni

Satanmonkey said:
If i were a an executive for a developer working on an exclusive ps3 game right now, and my eyes had gently rested upon this weeks hardware sales, i'd have shit through my own mouth.
:lol :lol Fun to imagine.

Xavien said:
Geez, that PS3 line is getting so close to the Xbox 360 line. I'm willing to entertain the possibility that the Xbox 360 'may' outsell the PS3 one week in the future...

Don't Cross the streams!

:lol

Branduil

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. NDS   -   133,471 |   110,935 | 2,174,697 | 16,180,376
2. WII   -    75,759 |    52,583 | 1,170,417 |  2,090,060
3. PSP   -    24,850 |    31,503 |   740,904 |  5,273,033
4. PS2   -    12,872 |    14,234 |   285,807 | 20,440,666
5. [B]PS3   -    11,948[/B] |    14,520 |   380,291 |    837,849
6. 360   -     2,900 |     2,963 |    84,876 |    349,578
7. GBA   -     1,297 |     1,357 |    32,165 | 15,330,244
8. NGC   -       167 |       255 |     5,936 |  4,175,404

noooooooooooug9.gif

I guess it's time for me to get on the Moku train as well.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
duderon said:
So who thinks Wii will get to 3 million before PS3 can pass 1 million?

:lol

You laugh, but as long as the Wii:pS3 ratio remains above 5.61:1 then it will happen.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Doom_Bringer said:
There will be no remake, it was a tech demo -_-

Of course, but it was a tech demo that made final fantasy fans pee their pants. Square likes money, and it would be a whole hell of alot easier/cheaper to make a Final Fantasy VII remake for the Wii than it would be for the PS3. They'll do it eventually.

Tiktaalik

Xavien said:

What if FFXIII is scraped for the PS3 and released for the Wii, and then Lost Odyssey is released for the Xbox 360 and becomes a breakout success causing the 360's lifetime sales to rise above PS3?!?!?!

:O

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
MrSardonic said:
You laugh, but as long as the Wii:pS3 ratio remains above 5.61:1 then it will happen.

The thing is..going by releases for the next few months and Nintendo's pledge to increase production- its only going to get worse. Potentially, much worse.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Thanks for that post Cheese, very thorough. I couldn't help but chuckle at the many dramatic (yet true) statements and conclusions.

Anyway, if I were Nintendo right now, I would be doing EVERYTHING I could to make sure that I exclusively snag one of the few remaining huge japanese future exclusives from Sony. And Im talking something like the next console DQ, or FF. It would solidify their victory outright, in no uncertain terms. Take this moment of victory and invest it to ensure that you extend it to the entire generation. They certainly have the monetary resources, as well as leverage through their sales to do just that.

joetachi

Im telling you guys if the PS3 loses one more japanese exclisive it's done for be it MGS4 or FFXIII. Its looking really grim for the PS3.

GDGF said:
Of course, but it was a tech demo that made final fantasy fans pee their pants. Square likes money, and it would be a whole hell of alot easier/cheaper to make a Final Fantasy VII remake for the Wii than it would be for the PS3. They'll do it eventually.

Dude the fans only went batshit nuts because it looked soo damn good! If a FF7 remake with FF12 quality graphics were to be released, it wouldn't make a big impact.

Like I said before FF13 was being worked on PS2 before Square Enix got the PS3 dev kits. I am sure they still have those PS2 code and assets, moving those over to wii would be much better.

With sales like this, it's surprising that more high-profile Wii games aren't being announced on a weekly basis. Famitsu should be switching to tiny print in order to fit all the big-name exclusive Wii announcements in. And yet, a part of me can't help but think that nothing will change; Wii will continue to get third-string efforts; FFXIII, DQX, and an FFVII remake will stay on/go to PS3, just because.

EDIT: But for those saying that Wii couldn't handle an FFVII remake (it wouldn't b wurth it cuz Wii = PS1 m i rite?!?), looking at those demo shots and then at REmake and RE0 tells me otherwise.

EDIT2: Bah, got my streams crossed.

Amir0x

Banned
BrodiemanTTR said:
With sales like this, it's surprising that more high-profile Wii games aren't being announced on a weekly basis. Famitsu should be switching to tiny print in order to fit all the big-name exclusive Wii announcements in. And yet, a part of me can't help but think that nothing will change; Wii will continue to get third-string efforts; FFXIII, DQX, and an FFVII remake will stay on/go to PS3, just because.

a.) it sounds like your beef is only with SquareEnix
b.) DQIX is on DS; with sales like this, there's a zero percent chance DQX will be on PS3. Wii is almost assured at this point. (Thank god FFXIII isn't held back by Wii, though. At least Square made that decision before PS3 tanked, so we get true next-gen FF.)
c.) I'm sure all devs and scrambling to start ratcheting up development for Wii. It'll get bombastic around Fall and beyond

BrodiemanTTR said:

Nobody had any faith in Wii until May 06, and even then it's only recently they've been able to look at sales and know for sure the product's hot. So I'm not giving up hope yet, although I do share your fears somewhat.

Rur0ni

AniHawk said:
The PS3 is failing around the world. There is no return for Sony this gen. I'm calling it now. No way back.
I wonder to myself, can Sony financially do a PS4 if PS3 fails horribly?

Slurpy said:
Well- I am assuming you composed that post. And if so, it entertained me, and thus I am thanking you.

Don't assume, yadda, yadda. Hopefully I won't be making that analysis post anymore... I don't think. *counts on fingers*

lupin23rd

Media Create Threads for week X - "Wow I wonder if the PS3 can go below 12000!"
Media Create Threads for week X+1 - "Wow I wonder if the PS3 can go below 11500!"
Media Create Threads for week X+2 - "Wow I wonder if the PS3 can go below 11000!"
Media Create Threads for week X+3 - "Wow I wonder if the PS3 can go below 10500!"
etc...

Yawn...

Not as if these numbers should be a surprise boys.

I too am wondering where the games are all. A lot of developers are jumping on the DS and Wii bandwagons, definitely. But I think there are a lot of developers who are still holding stuff back for the time being. We aren't seeing everything going to 360 and the stuff going to DS / Wii isn't really bigtime stuff. Even Sony has to have a lot more cooking. Are they waiting for PS2 to actually die before they go to PS3? Even so it would be nice to have something to play over Golden Week, morons.

"E3" will be interesting this year (hopefully)...

m

Top Bottom