• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/9 - 4/15

angelfly

BorkBork said:
One thing I'd like to add concerning FFXIII, I'm sure it's probably been touched on.

What if SE decides to switch the PS3 game to a side story and move production of the main game to the Wii? That way they'd still utilize the White Engine and put the main franchise on a bigger install base. I wouldn't think they are that far along in development yet as to significantly shift resources, but I might be wrong on that.

Considering all the work and money they put into it I doubt they're just gonna turn it into something else. I think the games will stay the way they are and if Wii gets FF XIII it won't cause any change to the PS3 version.

fresquito

sphinx said:
I really can't believe in the Moku train because the game is perhaps the best looking shit on PS3, there is no way you can simply " downgrade it a little" to make it possible on Wii. It would have to be a whole new game, which then wouldn't be " FFXIII" any more... 360 is out of the question, it's dead in Japan and irrelevant for SE.
Well, it's not like the Wii cannot play CGs. I've not seen anything from FFXIII that cannot be done on the Wii, except the graphic caliber, and I mean, you can have the same escenarios and characters without that much detail and effects, an still be pretty.

The real question is how far they are into development of the game and how much it would cost them to switch everything to the Wii. It's not only about FFXIII, but about the next one too. They can reuse everything they've done in a spinoff and using the FFCC engine do the Wii version. At this rate, everything's possible.

S-E is in such a hard spot.

Loonz

fresquito said:
The real question is how far they are into development of the game and how much it would cost them to switch everything to the Wii. It's not only about FFXIII, but about the next one too.

I think that S-E is evaluating this right now. It's not something "pleasant" for them, sure, but they have to keep an understanding with the actual videogame market in Japan... they did it with the DS: they'll do it with the Wii?. That's the million $ question.

angelfly

Loonz said:
I think that S-E is evaluating this right now. It's not something "pleasant" for them, sure, but they have to keep an understanding with the actual videogame market in Japan... they did it with the DS: they'll do it with the Wii?. That's the million $ question.

I'm hoping we find out the answer to that question at SE Party 2007

gamespot..
One more platform-exclusive title may be going multiplatform, it has been revealed. The latest news appears to be that Square Enix's latest epic role-playing game, Final Fantasy XIII, may follow other titles--including Saints Row, Assassin's Creed, and Devil May Cry 4--that have now been announced as appearing on at least one other platform as well.

Sony Computer Entertainment France president Georges Fornay dropped the bombshell in an interview with French-language newspaper Les Dernières Nouvelles d'Alsace (subscription required). He said, "The development costs of games have exploded, and it has become more difficult to have exclusives, outside of our own games. But we have for launch day [in France] 30 games, including MotorStorm, Resistance: Fall of Man, and Virtua Fighter 5. Moreover, we are expecting 200 games [for the PS3] by the end of 2007...As far as Final Fantasy XIII goes, I can tell you that the exclusivity is in discussion."

where there is smoke there is fire right
(i know the article is like a month old just thought it was relevent)

ziran

Very nice DS and Wii sales. It looks like this is the beginning of the shipment increases, and the demand seems as high as ever. All of Sony's hw sales are troubling. PS2 is winding down very consistently, PSP is dropping quicker than I expected after having such a good run, and PS3 is approaching disaster levels.

PS3's possible salvation centres around FFXIII. To be honest, even if it remains exclusive I can't see it becoming the dominant console in Japan, at this point Wii is just too strong, and Nintendo hasn't really started with their releases! However, I think FFXIII is going to be an unsual product. IMO, it's either going to be the first new main FF which is multi-platform, or it's going to have horrendous downloadable content.

If FFXIII remains PS3 exclusive I think it's going to end up primarily a downloadable title. You'll buy the base game with early chapters at retail and then S-E will milk consumers dry with downloadable episodes, with the full game costing $100 - $200 (or even more) over a period of months or years. The game's development budget is just going to be to high and too long in its current state of visuals.

Whatever happens with the game something's going to give, whether it goes PS3 download, ends up multiplatform, or Wii exclusive, it's going to end up pissing off some people.

As for S-E and Japanese Developers in general, at this stage they would have to be retarded not throwing major resources behind exclusive Wii content.

Parl

Stop It said:
Sony is losing Japan, if they were playing operation, the buzzer would have broken by now due to overuse, it's pretty much safe to say they are on life support in Japan, at least until June.

PS3 is on life support? Dead consoles have sold better in Japan! Look at PSP.

final fantasy XII cost around 35 million to develop, and probably 50 million total with ads (lost planet had a 20 million dollar ad budget for example), which they had to sell around 1.5 million to break even. i would imagine that developing ffXIII would have to cost somewhere around 50 million dollars (low balling). if they get 40 dollars per game sold they would have to sell around 1.2 million to cover dev costs. probably another 20 million for marketing. 70 million. huge but not unreasonable. 1.8 million copies.

FFXII sold 5 million so far. It will probably sell 6-7. so lets say 7 million. but on a userbase of 110 million ps2s or about .063%. if the ps3 continues at this rate it will have a userbase of around 15 million ww by the end of 2008, probably the latest ffXIII will arrive. if it sold the same percentage it would sell about 950,000 copies.

however we all know sales don't work like that and more than 950,000 people WW will either have the ps3 and buy FFXIII or will get the PS3 for that purpose. the only question is how many. It's hard to say how much a single game can move a console. It seems to be cutting it pretty close for SE though.

AniHawk

Loonz said:

Remember when FFVII was announced for the PSP way back in ****ing 2004? And it's still not out?

I think the same may happen to FFXIII. At the very least, DQ on the Nintendo systems should offset any losses if FFXIII doesn't sell what it needs to or if they have to scrap the graphics engine and start over.

Jonnyram said:
You know, thinking about what Square Enix plans with the FFXIII franchise, why don't they just save the actual main game until last and release all the shitty spin-offs first? That way the PS3 might have a userbase big enough to support a full-on FF.
I think they'll release FFXIII for the PS3, because they've made to much costs to just drop it now, but I think they'll make it multiplatform with the Xbox360 te make up sales in Europe and America. To make up for the inevitable bad Japan sales they'll make work of a high profile FF for the Wii and treat it like that's their FFXIII for this generation. It will have great sales, which will make the "spin off" > FFXIII.

Koren

AniHawk said:
Remember when FFVII was announced for the PSP way back in ****ing 2004? And it's still not out?
I still think that those announces (along with games like GT mobile) were asked by Sony to build hype around the machine, but have never been a priority for their developpers. We will definitely see them, but they have more important projects to deal with.

marc^o^ said:
It won't happen guys, the most clever move would be to port it to x360.
Honestly, this is where I stand as well.

Of course I'm biased in that I'd hate to see FFXIII downgraded when brought over to the Wii. I wouldn't mind a FFXIII game on Wii though and I think Square-enix is definitely cooking one up for the Wii, just not the ones that have been announced for the PS3.

From sinobi blog...

PS2 Fate Stay Night - 90.000 (7:3 regular vs limited edition which is selling out in many shops)
PS2 Persona 3 Fes - 65.000 (6:4 append vs normal, both very good sell through)
Wii Super Paper Mario - 70.000 (will probably pick up in the weekend)
PSP Final Fantasy I - 30.000 (100k shipment looks a little high)
NDS Nodame Cantabile - 15.000 (150k shipment!)

Says something about Atelier Lise and WiFi Asobi Taizen but not easy for me to translate :)

SPM's first sales are in line with what I'd expect. Definitely not as high as some were hoping for, though. :p

Hopefully it picks up in the weekend. No word about its own initial shipment figures?

Persona 3 FES did really well for an 'upgraded' Persona 3 IMO. It's unlikely to have legs, though.

Vagabundo

marc^o^ said:
It won't happen guys, the most clever move would be to port it to x360.

Now who's dreaming? [I hope I dont eat those words:lol ]

What they will possibly do is put the current XIII on the long finger and hope PS3 sales increase. Meanwhile they will start a major XIII project for the Wii using whatever resources they have for it and releasing that as soon as it is ready.

Bo130

Jonnyram said:
Half of Nodame Cantabile, i.e. 7500

WHAT!? But... Nearly the exact same game, just without online, released with the original Nintendo DS sold about 400k, didn't it? I guess they don't wanna pay full price again :( I was really hoping for some major release here.

iifu

Neo Member
Wi-Fi Daredemo Asobi Taisen sold about half of Nodame Cantabile, and Lise no Atelier sold even less than that. (Not good I guess?)

Edit: Waaaaay too slow as usual.
Edit 2: Holy crap just noticed the PS3 hardware sales. :(

1-D_FTW

Tiktaalik said:
I'm not really familiar with this, because I didn't follow games as much in the N64 days. Is that what happened in Japan with big releases like Mario 64 and Zelda?

There's some anecdotal evidence that this has happened with the Xbox 360 and Blue Dragon too isn't there?

It's been so long that my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I'm almost certain that's what at least happened with Zelda.

Phife Dawg said:
I don't doubt it for a second. Sony (as a whole) is on a good course. The walkman mobile line is fairing pretty well, just like the Bravia tv sets and this is after Sony missed the train both on MP3 playback and LCD tv sets. Financially it won't be a problem. MS is bleeding even more money and they'll have no problem funding X360-2.

Stringer did a great job turning around their morbid television line. A big problem for Sony might be, however, they were awfully late to that party.

HDTVs are getting into commodities territory again (like the old crts). Even with these new techs that are gonna be introduced in the next couple years, tvs are beginning to settle into a level of acceptable performance and the new manufacturer wars will be over price.

Pioneer has the incredible new plasma set coming, but they're non-committal about how long they'll stay in a business that's no longer got the large margins.

The moral: Sony can't rely on the huge margins of their television lines forever, because that gravy train's not gonna last much longer.

Well, major releases (SPM, Fate and P3F) did very well. Minor releases got hurt, FF1 doesn't seem to need a second shipment....Atelier doesn't seem to have much appeal, maybe it'll catch some light on the next weeks like the last Tamagotchi is doing. Nodame looks really bad, it was on amazon so much time that I thought it would do better in its first day, would it be the next bomb in price thanks to massive first shipment?

Vagabundo

1-D_FTW said:
The moral: Sony can't rely on the huge margins of their television lines forever, because that gravy train's not gonna last much longer.

Well it is clear that this gen they are not going to dominate. The question is now how much fight is left in them. The post launch must be very moral draining.

Stringer may just want some decent profits from a lower risk Playstation strategy. You can bet he has turned his Evil Eye on the gaming divisions now. He may take tighter reigns. You will see Sony go all out, but not to win this generations console race; to turn a profit.

ziran

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
From sinobi blog...

PS2 Fate Stay Night - 90.000 (7:3 regular vs limited edition which is selling out in many shops)
PS2 Persona 3 Fes - 65.000 (6:4 append vs normal, both very good sell through)
Wii Super Paper Mario - 70.000 (will probably pick up in the weekend)
PSP Final Fantasy I - 30.000 (100k shipment looks a little high)
NDS Nodame Cantabile - 15.000 (150k shipment!)

Says something about Atelier Lise and WiFi Asobi Taizen but not easy for me to translate :)
Decent, expected, numbers for SPM, I'd guess its going to double for its appearance on the chart. Lifetime it could make ~350k, or more depending on its staying power, which is similar to the last game iirc.

It will be interesting to see Wii sales this week, I'm expecting Nintendo to have a healthy shipment.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
milanbaros said:
DSL 123814
Wii  68566
PSP 22720
PS3 11970
PS2 12721
360  3067

DS=Wii×2 (1.81)
Wii=PSP×3(3.02)
PSP=PS2×2(1.79)
PS2≥PS3 (PS2>PS3)
PS3=X360×4 (3.90

They all seem about right. Looks all over for xbox 360 in Japan.

Fixed

Jirotrom

Vagabundo said:
Now who's dreaming? [I hope I dont eat those words:lol ]

What they will possibly do is put the current XIII on the long finger and hope PS3 sales increase. Meanwhile they will start a major XIII project for the Wii using whatever resources they have for it and releasing that as soon as it is ready.
this most likely what will happen....I dont see the downgrade happening but I see SE creating a good version of Final fantasy XIII on the wii....also KHIII will probably be on the wii as well.

1-D_FTW

Alkaliine said:
Wii software remain a disappointment though (except for wii sports and wii play which are tremendous).

And some people would say this. I'm not gonna say it, but some people would.

Thankfully 3rd parties are beginning to step it up with quality announcements.

mclem

moku said:
I will go as far to state here and now that if this continues at this pace, and gets even worse for Sony, (This is my own personal opinion) that the up-coming FF game will, without a doubt be ported to the Wii within short order, or all-together moved to the Wii that may sound bold, and it may even sound ridiculous given the already extended dev time, but its not due to launch anytime soon, and S-E would be flat-out reatrded, and throwing hordes of cash/sales down the toilet by not going with the Wii on this one. You cannot send out a premiere title to die in the forest, and porting it to the 360 wont help matters either.
I'm not willing to go onto the Moku train as pitched; I think the existing dev is a little too important. I think the game we currently know as FFXIII will remain on the PS3, possibly also ported to the 360 but not to the Wii.

However.

I do not believe it'll remain as 'FFXIII'. Bear in mind that the whole Fabula Nova Crystallis thing is meant to be a range of games on a variety of systems. As well as the no-subtitle 'main game', there's a bunch of extra games on the way.

First point: I would be unsurprised if Versus appears on the Wii. It appears to have had less commitment made to it than the main FFXIII, so they may be in a better position to ditch what they have and start over. That and, being an action game, there's scope for interesting remote usage.

Second point: I believe the existing FFXIII will be 'demoted' to being a subtitle game. Avoid the issue of tarnishing the brand by instead making that title into just part of the scattershot approach.

Third point: I believe that there will be further announcements of Wii-exclusive FFXIII titles (Haeresis, perhaps?)

Fourth point: FFXIII will end up either having *no* 'main game' - all games will be subtitled - or the Wii will get the one without a subtitle.

iifu

Neo Member
marc^o^ said:
TOEIC test, is that English Training 2, based on the notorious english test? If so we need it localized in french :)
No, this is a different one specifically focused on the TOEIC test. More English Training is at number 19 in the Amazon chart.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
iifu said:
No, this is a different one specifically focused on the TOEIC test.
That's great! A TOEIC test on the DS would be a must have for me, I would "play" it 3 hours a day for months :D. We need it in Europe!

mclem

lupin23rd said:
Media Create Threads for week X - "Wow I wonder if the PS3 can go below 12000!"
Media Create Threads for week X+1 - "Wow I wonder if the PS3 can go below 11500!"
Media Create Threads for week X+2 - "Wow I wonder if the PS3 can go below 11000!"
Media Create Threads for week X+3 - "Wow I wonder if the PS3 can go below 10500!"
etc...

Yawn...
"The PS3, surpassing *ALL* expectations!"

What do you think will happen to White Knight Story? Level 5 is a small developer, they probably can't afford the PS3 gamble. Do you think they will bail out? Have they already bailed out? We haven't heard of the game since TGS

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Doom_Bringer said:
What do you think will happen to White Knight Story? Level 5 is a small developer, they probably can't afford the PS3 gamble. Do you think they will bail out? Have they already bailed out? We haven't heard of the game since TGS
I don't think they will bail out, again they will also port it to x360 to reach a big enough userbase.

Luckyman

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:

lol - it´s funded by Sony.

Top Bottom