• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/9 - 4/15

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Terrell said:
SinkingShip.jpg
:lol :lol :lol

I don't think I have the courage to board the Moku Express. Instead, I shall man the signal station and observe as a proxy. And perhaps letting my finger slip on the switch button just as the big, black steam engine reaches a set of points...

Pureauthor said:
As always, feedback would be much appreciated.
I'm getting a definite Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy vibe off of the Sales-Age Saga. Loved the Easter Bunny line and last week's 'slightly obsolete thumb' line is the best thus far.

I think you should do another two or three installments (or maybe more if you've planned further ahead already) and then give it a little break. Then you could perhaps return with the same premise, but perhaps with a different human character with different motives.

Deku

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Exactly, these are most likely retailer preorders. But RE4 didn't exactly light the charts up in Japan, even on PS2. Which is why I'm surprised at this report. DQ is a no brainer.

Stranger things have happened. RE1 also drew a lot of non traditional (for the time) gamers to the PS1/Saturn these were gamers who didn't play SFC games. It was a new experience. Granted RE4 Wii is essentially a port, perhaps there's interest from Wii owners looking for something new to play now that they've mastered Wii sports and if the controls are sufficiently accessible (for an RE game that's saying a lot) then I could see it doing reasonably well.

cvxfreak

Dragona Akehi said:
Exactly, these are most likely retailer preorders. But RE4 didn't exactly light the charts up in Japan, even on PS2. Which is why I'm surprised at this report. DQ is a no brainer.

It sold about 500K on PS2, which is pretty good.

If the Wii version sells 300K, the three versions combined will be above 1 Million. But 300K seems to much. Then again, the Phoenix Wright remake sold that much.

Deku said:
Stranger things have happened. RE1 also drew a lot of non traditional (for the time) gamers to the PS1/Saturn these were gamers who didn't play SFC games. It was a new experience. Granted RE4 Wii is essentially a port, perhaps there's interest from Wii owners looking for something new to play now that they've mastered Wii sports and if the controls are sufficiently accessible (for an RE game that's saying a lot) then I could see it doing reasonably well.

Let's hope so.

cvxfreak said:
It sold about 500K on PS2, which is pretty good.

If the Wii version sells 300K, the three versions combined will be above 1 Million. But 300K seems to much. Then again, the Phoenix Wright remake sold that much.

Well even 500k isn't that great. Though the JPN wii version is a budget price... that might help pique interest...

cvxfreak

Dragona Akehi said:
Well even 500k isn't that great. Though the JPN wii version is a budget price... that might help pique interest...

It's the best selling BH game last gen even without the GC version counted. So I think it's great as far as the post-RE3 series is concerned.

I'm not optimistic about BH5 sales though. With the PS3 doing worse than GC and 360 a non-factor, looks like Japan may not realize BH5 exists.

justchris

Odysseus said:
i fear coming to gaf if the moku train ever leaves the station

actually, i doubt gaf would even load

Aw crap, now everytime I cna't get into gaf, I'm gonna be afraid I missed the train.

donny2112

Rur0ni said:
I wonder to myself, can Sony financially do a PS4 if PS3 fails horribly?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6013389&highlight=ps3#post6013389

;)

AniHawk said:
DIE MOTHER****ERS DIE. MY FIFTEEN YEAR OLD SELF STABS AT THEE!

Anti-Aliasing and 64-bits totally beats jaggies and 32-bits.
The best part is, it does. ;)

Famitsu April 2-8

1. PS2 Naruto: Shippuuden N-Ultimate Accelerator 75399 / NEW
2. PSP Gundam SEED Alliance vs. ZAFT Portable 56438 / NEW
3. PS2 Musou Orochi 49807 / 542553
4. PS2 Pro Baseball Spirits 4 48855 / 88299
5. NDS Yoshi's Island DS 44246 / 537359
6. PS2 Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+ 39825 / 221987
7. NDS More English Training 38125 / 88228
8. NDS Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village 30979 / 425135
9. PSP Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball Portable 2 27213 / NEW
10. WII Wii Sports 26580 / 1278423
11. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 25826 / 4329837
12. NDS Digimon Story Sunburst/Moonlight 25707 / 98015
13. NDS Word Puzzle Mojipittan DS 23807 / 206269
14. NDS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 22012 / 4996514
15. PS2 Pro Baseball Netsu Stadium 2007 21719 / NEW
16. NDS Tamagotchi no Appare! Niji-Venture 19389 / 57318
17. NDS Case Closed! Detective Trainer 18511 / NEW
18. PS2 Rakushou! Pachislo Sengen 5: Rio Paradise 18253 / NEW
19. WII Wii Play 17804 / 1055200
20. NDS Brain Training 2 17432 / 4209108
21. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 16452 / 1138638
22. PS3 Pro Baseball Spirits 4 15061 / 33645
23. NDS Mario Kart DS 13669 / 2055092
24. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 12166 / 4006379
25. NDS General Knowledge Training 11660 / 1328090
26. NDS Dragon Ball Z: Harukanaru Goku Legend 11427 / 95973
27. NDS Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 11395 / 1317038
28. NDS Sim City DS 10905 / 106773
29. NDS Crayon Shin-chan DS: Arashi wo Sakebunutte Crayon Daisakusen! 10463 / 56819
30. NDS DS Kageyama Method Electronic Kanji Drills 10424 / NEW

Animal Crossing passes 4 million. Pokemon passes 5 million next week.

Deku

Banned
cvxfreak said:
It's the best selling BH game last gen even without the GC version counted. So I think it's great as far as the post-RE3 series is concerned.

I'm not optimistic about BH5 sales though. With the PS3 doing worse than GC and 360 a non-factor, looks like Japan may not realize BH5 exists.

Capcom may redesign 5 to make a Wii version possible. With the Wii players can already access BH 1-4 and Zero. Through BC and the upcoming RE4Wii

enishi

Kobun Heat said:
You are shit at transrate.

"As for Ouendan 2, which comes out on 5/17, it's not getting many orders. The last game, Ouendan, sold most of its copies at special sale prices. This gave it a bad image with the majority of retailers.

"It sold about 80,000 copies on sale, but then word-of-mouth started and it kept going until it passed 100,000 copies. But the copies that sold following word-of-mouth advertising only sold through a certain few stores and Web retailers. Basically, most retailers still have that 'bad image' of Ouendan.

"For the time being, that's the situation. If you're planning on buying it, I highly recommend that you preorder the game."

What this means is that demand for Ouendan 2 might surprise retailers -- not that it's going to bomb.

Thank you and sorry

Deku said:
Capcom may redesign 5 to make a Wii version possible. With the Wii players can already access BH 1-4 and Zero. Through BC and the upcoming RE4Wii

That's gotta be a better bet than Final Fantasy XIII to get a Wii version, right?

justchris

ghostlyjoe said:
That's gotta be a better bet than Final Fantasy XIII to get a Wii version, right?

Not really. Capcom is known for supporting underdog consoles, and they really like the 360 attach rate right now. BH5 is more likely to stick to PS3 & 360 than FFXIII is to stay PS3 only, but there's only a hair's difference between the two possibilities.

miguel_c_hammer said:
Only by ignorant people like yourself. They published almost 4 times as many games on PS2 last gen as they did on GC and XB combined.

Capcom puts great games on every console, but, yeah, I don't think they favor the underdog. However, they did promise their biggest franchise to the GameCube, then proceeded to create a bunch of fantastic new IPs. They're an enigma, but they're the best kind of enigma.

justchris

miguel_c_hammer said:
Only by ignorant people like yourself. They published almost 4 times as many games on PS2 last gen as they did on GC and XB combined.

Did I say the words 'favor', 'exclusive' or 'primarily' anywhere in my comment. They certainly put more games on the leading console, most publishers do, but Capcom maintains strong support even on lower selling consoles, as they did with the GC, and as they continue to do with the PSP. Capcom isn't going to let a little thing like hardware sales reverse the course for current projects. Future projects are another issue entirely.

That's excellent sales for the DS and Wii

Edit: miguelchammer, I didn't know we were allowed to call people ignorant when having a discussion. Can you show me in the Rules where that's ordained?

I was expecting higher SPM sales, around the 100K mark for day one. How is Nintendo marketing the thing anyway? I know they have at least three Brain Academy Wii commercials up so I get the impression that they are marketing that more?

I suppose Nintendo is pushing the casual/nongame angle for Golden Week. It's smart strategy, I suppose because Brain Academy *could* have Wii Sports like legs. It is more critical to have more system sellers at this early a stage more than any other stage of the console's life.

titiklabingapat said:
I was expecting higher SPM sales, around the 100K mark for day one. How is Nintendo marketing the thing anyway? I know they have at least three Brain Academy Wii commercials up so I get the impression that they are marketing that more?

I suppose Nintendo is pushing the casual/nongame angle for Golden Week. It's smart strategy, I suppose because Brain Academy *could* have Wii Sports like legs. It is more critical to have more system sellers at this early a stage more than any other stage of the console's life.

I think people expected too much out of Super Paper Mario:

a) The previous Paper Mario titles never performed outstanding in Japan
b) Titles don't seem to sell a huge amount on the Wii (as of yet) outside of Wii Sports/Play. It seems non-traditional gamers are still stuck in that box, and so SPM won't flourish.

It's kind of depressing: DBZ, Fire Emblem, Zelda, Wario, Pokemon etc. all can't seem to get through the latter point. But, this happened on the DS and look how that turned out.

Calculaddy said:
It's kind of depressing: DBZ, Fire Emblem, Zelda, Wario, Pokemon etc. all can't seem to get through the latter point. But, this happened on the DS and look how that turned out.
I thought all those games you mentioned did rather well, actually. Especially FE, Warioware:SM, DBZ and Pokemon BR.

Don't wince in pain just yet at the Wii's hardcore game penetration. The non-gamers buying only Wii sports simply haven't been converted into casuals and the casuals haven't been converted into the hardcore. Don't worry, it'll happen in time and we'll see the same kind of thing we saw with the DS and these market segments will get bigger. It starts with Wii sports, but eventually, they'll be buying up Zelda.

Getting some new juniors in here should provide some entertainment, but you regulars can get to be too much sometimes. Yes, smugly mocking the more ignorant ones with numbers, charts and animated gifs is fun, but you mustn't forget that these posters have their limits. If you overfarm a single poster, they'll run from the sales thread in tears, never to be seen again. This deprives us of much-needed entertainment.

A good troll takes months to raise and condition properly, especially for sales age threads where one would need a particularly thick skin to survive. So be kinder and gentler to this new batch. We have to think long term here and cultivate them for long-term entertainment rather than blowing our wads all at once.

(There are two sexual innuendos not-so-cleverly concealed in this post. See if you can spot them.)

EDIT: Hey, did My Chemical Mouse get the banstick? I haven't seen him around lately.

Innotech

Banned
you all can be harsh I dont really care much.

Im just glad Nintendo is actually putting up a fight now.
I also think the wii is going to attrect a fair bit of hardcore gamers, but availability is still a huge issue. Nintendo needs to really get moving and get some more production going.

Zelda also wasnt exactly a failure. It pulled in close to 3.5 million on the wii alone already IIRC. Thats a good indication that a fair bit of the wii owners are in the hardcore crowd.

TJ Spyke

titiklabingapat said:
I thought all those games you mentioned did rather well, actually. Especially FE, Warioware:SM, DBZ and Pokemon BR.

IIRC, Pokemon Battle Revolution has done about 249K so far. Not bad, but not great either.

Innotech said:
you all can be harsh I dont really care much.

Im just glad Nintendo is actually putting up a fight now.
I also think the wii is going to attrect a fair bit of hardcore gamers, but availability is still a huge issue. Nintendo needs to really get moving and get some more production going.

Zelda also wasnt exactly a failure. It pulled in close to 3.5 million on the wii alone already IIRC. Thats a good indication that a fair bit of the wii owners are in the hardcore crowd.
It sounds as though someone hasn't been keeping up with Japanese sales. Judging by your posts in the New Juniors thread, you also seem to be a Nintendo fan who hates Sony with a fervent passion, greatly diminishing your entertainment value in sales threads.

Your post is also wrong on two accounts.

First of all: the Wii is built from the ground up to be a casual gamer's console. If you can get a hold of a book called Blue Ocean Strategy, it'll explain why Nintendo stopped competing with Sony and Microsoft on graphics, power, multimedia functions and storage. It will also explain why the Wii is priced more expensively than what it should be, but drastically cheaper than the competition.

What Nintendo has done is make the hardcore audience irrelevant and expand the market in the process. Yes, once the hardcore start adopting the product and once casuals get turned into hardcore, hardcore games will have higher attach rates. Don't ever expect anything like the Xbox 360 or PS3 attach rates though, because these are consoles aimed exclusively at the hardcore (who buy LOTS of games). The Wii will always have a more diverse mix.

Also, the production thing. Increasing the production of a product isn't cheap, nor is it instantaneous. It sounds good - increase production and get more money, but there are enourmous capital costs involved that a company may not be able to make or may not want to make. There are risks involved with opening up new production facilities - flooding the market with excess inventory, raising costs to unprofitable levels, shortages of raw materials leaving one or more of your facilities idle (thus losing millions per day). There are also complex legal and engineering issues. A large part of managing a company is about managing risk - Nintendo need to do that because they answer to their shareholders.

And for the record, Zelda did around 400,000 in Japan if I recall correctly. This is why people are talking about relatively low sales.

justchris

SPM's first day sales don't paint the whole picture.

Remember, Wii is selling to more casual and non-gamer audiences. The more casual players don't have to have a game on the first day. Nintendo sales specifically, and casual oriented games in general, pick up a lot during the weekend. 70k first day could lead to anywhere from 100k to 150k for the first week. SPM is a niche game with a mass-market gimmick (mario platforming) so it's likely to see greater sales on the weekend than it did first day. The real debate is whether or not it has any legs beyond the first week, and whether it'll do better than BBA.

stewacide

vicious_killer_squirrel said:
Also, the production thing. Increasing the production of a product isn't cheap, nor is it instantaneous. It sounds good - increase production and get more money, but there are enourmous capital costs involved that a company may not be able to make or may not want to make. There are risks involved with opening up new production facilities - flooding the market with excess inventory, raising costs to unprofitable levels, shortages of raw materials leaving one or more of your facilities idle (thus losing millions per day). There are also complex legal and engineering issues. A large part of managing a company is about managing risk - Nintendo need to do that because they answer to their shareholders.

All very true, and lord knows Nintendo is a very prudent and efficient company (see: inability to not make money no matter the circumstance)... but at some point they need to throw caution to the wind and go for the kill. It seems almost impossible to fathom how an increase of 50% or more in their WW production would be too-much for at least the next year, and if they're still obsessing about per-unit profits (which will be fat no matter what) then Nintendo has been so conditioned by failure they've forgotten how to win.

The only thing standing in the way of Wii and complete and utter dominance of this gen' is Nintendo and their unwillingness to start thinking more strategically and less fiscally. These kinds of shortages +3 months out are unexpected demand. +6 months out they're blithe incompetence and terminally conservative management.

stewacide said:
The only thing standing in the way of Wii and complete and utter dominance of this gen' is Nintendo and their unwillingness to start thinking more strategically and less fiscally. These kinds of shortages +3 months out are unexpected demand. +6 months out they're blithe incompetence and terminally conservative management.

You really can't blame them. It's been mentioned many a times but it bears repeating again: they just came out of their most disastrous and weakest console venture yet. I'd be cautious too especially since we are still, near launch. Momentum is there, but it *could* still change, however unlikely that is. Better have little to no stock(because of phenomenal demand more than anything else) than risk investing a substantial amount of money only to have it poop on your face. Especially after Gamecube gave them such a nasty disease.

stewacide said:
There are more Wiis than any near-launch console ever. By a large margin.

stewacide said:
They ARE thinking strategically, though it isn't traditional strategy. Blue Ocean Strategy basically requires you to *almost* ignore what the competition is doing in favour of maximising your own profits.

With the Wii, they've created for themselves a strategy canvas so divergent to that of the competition, that they don't even matter. I'll repeat and bold for emphasis. It does not matter how well the PS3 or Xbox 360 sell, because their effect on Wii's sales will be negligible. Wii has such a different value proposition to that of the other consoles that victory is already assured. What they need to concern themselves with is maximising how much profit they will make in the long term.

So the main issue for them right now is: sure, there's skyrocketing demand now, but demand eventually tapers off when you begin saturating your blue ocean. What will happen to all that investment they made in that new factory when worldwide demand reaches more normal levels? They'll have factories sitting idle, losing millions of dollars each day, or worse, they'll have flooded the market with excess stock.

In many ways, it is better to never have built the factories at all than to have made a miscalculation in future demand. At the rate they're selling, Nintendo will satisfy demand for the Wii eventually. It will simply take a little longer than it would have otherwise. The fact also remains that the people who want a Wii right now but can't get one will still want one in six months time. It is so different to other consoles that very few will accept a PS3 or an Xbox 360 as a substitute. Why? They don't have Wii Sports.

stewacide

JoshuaJSlone said:
There are more Wiis than any near-launch console ever. By a large margin.

True, but given the concurrent world-wide launch and strong demand everywhere the supply situation is even more unprecedented (unprecedentedly bad that is).

At what point do Nintendo start believing in their own product and start manufacturing accordingly? (i.e. are they hedging it's a 'fad' that will die down?). If the Wii was doing +500k units a month in NA and +100k a week in Japan the 'console war' would already be over. Nintendo is dragging this thing out unnecessarily, when they should be scrambling to press their advantage and deliver the coup the grace.

p.s. From a rational business POV I understand why Nintendo is/was very leery of investing in potential over-capacity, but that doesn't change the fact that in retrospect they really couldn't have been bullish enough.

justchris

stewacide said:
All very true, and lord knows Nintendo is a very prudent and efficient company (see: inability to not make money no matter the circumstance)... but at some point they need to throw caution to the wind and go for the kill. It seems almost impossible to fathom how an increase of 50% or more in their WW production would be too-much for at least the next year, and if they're still obsessing about per-unit profits (which will be fat no matter what) then Nintendo has been so conditioned by failure they've forgotten how to win.

You're new here, so may not be aware, but one of the regular (and newer) features of the MC threads if Vinnk's Village Report (he's in the US at the moment, so couldn't provide this week's report). Anyway, according to the proprietor of the Famicom Dojo (an actual store) the original Famicom was supply constrained for 3 years back when it first became popular.

Gaming market strategy has grown and evolved a lot since Nintendo was on top. It's not that they don't remember how to win, it's that they're playing a different game entirely, and they're having to make up new strategy as they go along. Don't assume what other companies have done before will necessarily stand them in good stead now. And don't expect they won't make a misstep or two on the way. Anyway, with the advantage they have, they can afford a misstep or two, and best they make it now before Sony gets back on their feet or Microsoft brings about some unexpected crushing blow.

stewacide

vicious_killer_squirrel said:
They ARE thinking strategically, though it isn't traditional strategy. Blue Ocean Strategy basically requires you to *almost* ignore what the competition is doing in favour of maximising your own profits.

I agree that in terms of the casual/blue-ocean segment it's not important (not as if they're going to buy anything else), but the Wii has become such a force that it could become the dominant core-gamer platform as well: something Nintendo have said they never initially planned on (the "Blue Ocean" playbook calls for open hostility!)

The 'battle of perceptions' is important when it comes to developers and core-gamers (if not profits and 'blue-ocean' casuals). A massive sales disparity is Nintendo's best weapon. While the disruptive/blue ocean strategy has served Nintendo well, there's no reason to be doctrinaire: clearly the game industry has a large and profitable 'core' audience that's not at all beyond Nintendo's grasp and which can be wooed in ways not incompatible with their mass-market strategy (such as winning over clear 3rd-party preference).

stewacide said:
I agree that in terms of the casual/blue-ocean segment it's not important (not as if they're going to buy anything else), but the Wii has become such a force that it could become the dominant core-gamer platform as well: something Nintendo have said they never initially planned on (the "Blue Ocean" playbook calls for open hostility!). In terms of drawing 3rd party support towards the Wii and away from the PS3/360 - what will ultimately attract the 'core gamer' - nothing could have helped more than *massive* numbers out of the gate.

The 'battle of perceptions' is important when it comes to developers and core-gamers if not profits and casuals. A massive sales disparity is Nintendo's best weapon.

There is already a massive sales disparity even with limited stock. Well, not LTD(not yet), but at the speed and weekly and monthly numbers, there IS already an ever growing disparity. Indeed, it is the only console doing very well on a global level.

stewacide

The 'disparity' that really matters, in terms of drawing away 3rd party support, is 3rd party sales: the metric where the Wii continues to lag. For a host of reasons (Nintendo's strong 1st party, 'casual' nature of much of the audience, etc.) the Wii - like the DS before - seems to need a *significant* market-share advantage to produce really good 3rd party numbers and so become the platform of choice for 3rd parties. The longer the Wii takes to get there the longer 3rd parties will him and haw over AAA support.

I totally agree Nintendo it too well positioned to not wind up on top: the open question however is how much of the 'core gamer' market do they grab, and by extension how viable are MS and Sony.

Third parties are at least reaping the benefits in USA and Europe. What with Sonic, Tiger Woods, Rayman, even Madden and Red Steel doing nicely.

In Europe it's just as promising. Japan is fickle. What title would one 3rd party need to release to open the flood gates?

Edit: If there's one market I don't think Nintendo will EVER capture, and excuse me if this may irk a few people, is the hip-hop, rap, ganster-style African Americans.

I speak with anecdotal evidence mainly, but Nintendo's entire method: from boxarts, to marketing, to gameplay, to game values just don't attract them to it, and that's always going to be a small buffer for the 360 and PS3. I honestly don't think Nintendo will ever get it.

Top Bottom