• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/9 - 4/15

justchris

Calculaddy said:
Third parties are at least reaping the benefits in USA and Europe. What with Sonic, Tiger Woods, Rayman, even Madden and Red Steel doing nicely.

In Europe it's just as promising.

Japan is fickle. What title would one 3rd party need to release to open the flood gates?

Gundam Musou, but the PS3 already got that one, so I'm not sure. A decent 3rd party RPG should do well, even on the Wii. I guess we need to really be examining DQSwords & Opoona sales to see what 3rd party support is really gonna be like on the Wii.

stewacide said:
The 'battle of perceptions' is important when it comes to developers and core-gamers (if not profits and 'blue-ocean' casuals). A massive sales disparity is Nintendo's best weapon. While the disruptive/blue ocean strategy has served Nintendo well, there's no reason to be doctrinaire: clearly the game industry has a large and profitable 'core' audience that's not at all beyond Nintendo's grasp and which can be wooed in ways not incompatible with their mass-market strategy (such as winning over clear 3rd-party preference).
Nice edit. It cleared up your point. I suppose I'd have to agree with you that the core is potentially very profitable. However, one has to wonder just how large this core actually IS and whether or not farming them is worth it, especially given the competition.

The very reason Nintendo is trying to create a Blue Ocean was because it wasn't getting any growth out of the core gamers. Trying to compete with Microsoft and Sony for them was what was killing their growth in the first place. Basically, you'd have costs going up appreciably faster than revenues, cutting into your profit margins. This is why Nintendo decided to go after the casuals and non-gamers: no one's competing for their dollars, so Nintendo would have the market all to themselves.

One side-effect of doing this is a massive user base, which will attract lots of games, which in turn attracts the core gamer. However, at no point do you need to directly compete for the core gamer. It will just end up slashing your profit margins. It's no good from a business standpoint to do so, because if you do, you may end up with a phyrric victory in this sector like the Xbox or Xbox 360 had.

justchris said:
Gundam Musou, but the PS3 already got that one, so I'm not sure. A decent 3rd party RPG should do well, even on the Wii. I guess we need to really be examining DQSwords & Opoona sales to see what 3rd party support is really gonna be like on the Wii.

Opoona will not cut it. I'll eat my hat if it does

justchris

Calculaddy said:
Opoona will not cut it. I'll eat my hat if it does

You'll have to forgive me if I'm now hoping Opoona will be a million seller. And I want video proof of this hat eating. You can use any relish or condiments you prefer.

lupin23rd

Great so now not only FF13 is going to Wii, but Biohazard 5 is moving to Wii as well.

I better step up the search to find one
the next time I'm in Japan, so I can play my JP GC games
!

m

nli10

stewacide said:
These kinds of shortages +3 months out are unexpected demand. +6 months out they're blithe incompetence and terminally conservative management.

An ironic part of low stock levels is that people actually want it more because the can't have it. And if they do happen to see that elusive must have item then it only makes them more likely to make that snap descision to buy. Most of these purchases are without any extra games or controllers from my experience - although lots of them seem to return for Wii Play the following week.

Lots of DS are sold to people waiting for the Wii too, this is much heavier TV advertised in the UK than the Wii too.

PS3 is out of the average urban teen's reach for exactly the opposite reason - they can see them on the shelves but they can't quite afford one. So they 'settle' for PS2 stuff and Sony make loads of money on GoW2, while queueing up future buyers for the Xmas price slashed PS3.

There are big differences between the average Wii shopper (older, smarter dressed - spends only a short time in store) and the Ps2/3 shopper (teens, casually dressed - often hangs around on the demo units and flicks through the bargain games).

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
vicious_killer_squirrel said:
First of all: the Wii is built from the ground up to be a casual gamer's console. If you can get a hold of a book called Blue Ocean Strategy, it'll explain why Nintendo stopped competing with Sony and Microsoft on graphics, power, multimedia functions and storage. It will also explain why the Wii is priced more expensively than what it should be, but drastically cheaper than the competition.

What Nintendo has done is make the hardcore audience irrelevant and expand the market in the process. Yes, once the hardcore start adopting the product and once casuals get turned into hardcore, hardcore games will have higher attach rates. Don't ever expect anything like the Xbox 360 or PS3 attach rates though, because these are consoles aimed exclusively at the hardcore (who buy LOTS of games). The Wii will always have a more diverse mix.

OK, I completely disagree with everything you say here. I don't believe the Wii was built to be a "casual gamer console." It was made just as much to be a hard core gamer system. It is trying to capture both. Blue Ocean strategy comes in because the competition is fiercely competing on one front, Graphics/Power. Sony and MS have gone in targetting the hardcore gamer so much that they are putting less focus on the casual gamers. So Nintendo went in a different direction. The competition wasn't going for as much a change in gameplay, and Nintendo wanted a gameplay method that would intrigue hardcore gamers and pull in casuals.

You are assuming hardcore gamers only care about more graphics, so not overloading with graphics obviously ignores them. Look at when the Wii-Mote was announced, there was so much talk about the potential. And the potential gets the hardcore gamer in me really excited. Sadly I haven't seen many games using this potential yet, but to say the Wii was made specifically to ignore the hardcore gamer is just incorrect.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
GreenGlowingGoo said:
You are assuming hardcore gamers only care about more graphics, so not overloading with graphics obviously ignores them. Look at when the Wii-Mote was announced, there was so much talk about the potential. And the potential gets the hardcore gamer in me really excited. Sadly I haven't seen many games using this potential yet, but to say the Wii was made specifically to ignore the hardcore gamer is just incorrect.

Well, we must admit that we love great graphics and online play, but as you say the Wiimote has potential enough. I ever considered myself a hardcore gamer, I love great graphics, online play and all... but the Wii has other things that makes the system great.

Wiimote is the key, but the Wii has enough power to do great graphics, and the online system Nintendo is using is good enough (at least for the DS). They must improve it of course, but is enough to keep me happy.

What I thing is more interesting is that, Wii like DS, can change Hardcore habits. That's what happened to me and I love my gaming habits nowadays.

andthebeatgoeson

We should just have Cheese include this in the 1st post:

NO CONSOLE HAS EVER PRODUCED OR SOLD 6 MILLION CONSOLES WITHIN 5 MONTHS OF LAUNCH IN ANY TERRITORY OR WORLDWIDE. EXCEPT THE WII

Can you Cheese? I'm getting to the breaking point with that argument that Nintendo is holding back. Or not making enough.

NO CONSOLE HAS EVER PRODUCED OR SOLD 6 MILLION CONSOLES WITHIN 5 MONTHS OF LAUNCH IN ANY TERRITORY OR WORLDWIDE. EXCEPT THE WII

skinnyrattler said:

Can you Cheese? I'm getting to the breaking point with that argument that Nintendo is holding back. Or not making enough.

Do you think they'll get the hint?

..Sadly not :(

Neomoto

...Nintendo is set and well on course to kill.
The competition this year that is

And so, boys and girls, I think it's finally safe to say that the era of PlayStation as we know it is no more.

_________

Rock_Man said:
I don't understand... according to the OP there are NO x360 games in the top 50, and only 1 ps3 game at number 35. So how exactly does this chart represent software sales accurately this week?

Cheesemeister said:
This Week Sales:

[analysis]

Market Share Week-to-Week

Code:
Date____               360             Wii             PS3
11/27-12/03:            25%             49%             26%
12/04-12/10:            24%             49%             27%
12/11-12/17:            21%             50%             29%
12/18-12/24:            17%             57%             26%
12/25-12/31:            16%             56%             28%
01/01-01/07:            15%             58%             27%
01/08-01/14:            14%             59%             27%
01/15-01/21:            14%             60%             26%
01/22-01/28:            13%             60%             26%
01/29-02/04:            13%             61%             26%
02/05-02/11:            13%             61%             26%
02/12-02/18:            13%             62%             26%
02/19-02/25:            12%             62%             25%
03/26-03/04:            12%             62%             26%
03/05-03/11:            12%             62%             26%
03/12-03/18:            11%             62%             26%
03/19-03/25:            11%             63%             26%
03/26-04/01:            11%             63%             26%
04/02-04/08:            11%             63%             26%
04/09-04/15:            11%             64%             26%

I'm pretty sure the market share for this week at least in those charts is wrong. It should be 83,6% for Wii (holy ****ing shit at that number btw). Edit I'm an idiot, just realised that it is ltd market share and not weekly market share.

ziran said:
:lol

Saved!

Now that is seriously ****ing awesome. :lol

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Neomoto said:
I'm pretty sure the market share for this week at least in those charts is wrong. It should be 83,6% for Wii (holy ****ing shit at that number btw).
It's the LTD marketshare (or "current" marketshare), not the weekly sales...

enishi said:
http://ameblo.jp/get6-2/

Another blog states similar numbers as Sinobi. But some points to note:

6. Pre-order of most games in May and June are bad, except Super Robot War Original Generation (PS2).
Is this translated right? I took at look at gamefaqs release lists and well, although there are no very big sellers, there are quite a few well known franchises that should do well. SRT OG didn't do that well (compared to main entries on consoles I mean) so I wonder how much would I expect from it. I guess 200-300k tops.

X360:
5/24 Forza Motorsports 2 (its 1st party although I doubt it'll crack 50k)
6/14 Trusty Bell: Chopin no Yume (from Baten Kaitos creators and on X360...well, its a new Namco RPG IP anyway)

Wii:
05/24 Jissen Pachi-Slot Pachinko Hisshouhou! Sammy's Collection Hokuto no Ken Wii (they usually do well...isn't one of this a million seller on PS2?)
05/31 BioHazard 4 Wii Edition (hey, its good, its cheap, its on Wii, it has to sell)
06/07 Bokujou Monogatari: Yasuragi no Ki (Harvest Moon on Nintendo hardware, nuff said)
06/14 Mahou Sensei Negima!? Neo-Pactio Fight!! (negima fighting game...seriously)
06/21 Hajime no Ippo Revolution (they forgot to change revolution for wii)
06/28 Donkey Kong Taru Jet Race (gc port or not...its a nintendo title afterall)

PS3:
06/14 Ninja Gaiden Sigma (its ironic, yes)
06/21 FolkSoul: Ushinawareta Denshou (from Genji developers...but still a SCEJ game)

PS2:
05/10 Wrestle Kingdom 2: Pro Wrestling Sekai Taisen (cover rocks :lol )
05/17 Odin Sphere (it better sell a lot...)
05/17 Shining Wind (well...its...shining force spinoff...well, it should be...)
05/31 Jissen Pachinko Hisshouhou! CR Aladdin Destiny EX (pachinko aladdin wtf?)
05/31 Guilty Gear XX Accent Core (uh, guilty gear...)
06/07 Hisshou Pachinko*Pachi-Slot Kouryoku Series Vol. 10: CR Shinseiki Evangelion: Kiseki no Kachi (pachinko evangelion...)
06/21 Baroque (weird rpg)
06/21 Growlanser VI (niche rpg)
06/21 Mana-Khemia: Gakuen no Renkinjutsu Shitachi (gust rpg)
06/28 Super Robot Taisen Original Generations (the big one it seems)
06/28 Tales of Fandom Vol. 2 (hi there!)

PSP:
05/10 Final Fantasy Tactics: Shishi Sensou (fmv without voices and all)
05/24 Bleach: Heat the Soul 4 (and the previous 3 were for psp too...)
05/31 Minna no Golf Ba (how not to do a sequel to your only >500k seller on the system by SCEJ!)
06/07 Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai 2 (a dbz game, so surprising)
06/07 Final Fantasy II Anniversary Edition (project milking second part)
06/28 Ratchet & Clank 5: Gekitotsu! Dodeka Ginga no MiriMiri Gundan (lol SCEJ numbering this game...)

NDS:
05/17 Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Tamashii: Osu! Tatake! Ouendan 2 (with awesome red bar in the cover to resemble brain games covers)
05/24 Osawari Tantei: Osawa Rina - Season 2 1/2 (I won't play this game, thats for sure)
05/24 Hoshigami (hey, nds getting a psx port, ironic)
05/31 SD Gundam G Generation: Cross Drive (it has to be very big)
06/07 Kabu Trader Shun (its capcom)
06/21 Itadaki Street DS (mario and dragon quest monopoly)
06/23 Zelda no Densetsu: Mugen no Sunadokei (saturday release it seems)

So hey, Gundam Cross Drive, SRT OG and Zelda seem to be the big stuff, although I don't see any of those selling >500k. Very weak lists for 360 and PS3, doesn't look very strong on any boat but at least Wii, PS2, PSP and NDS have more than a couple of games.

Saitou

Banned
skinnyrattler said:

It bears repeating.

stewacide

Calculaddy said:
If there's one market I don't think Nintendo will EVER capture, and excuse me if this may irk a few people, is the hip-hop, rap, ganster-style African Americans.

I speak with anecdotal evidence mainly, but Nintendo's entire method: from boxarts, to marketing, to gameplay, to game values just don't attract them to it, and that's always going to be a small buffer for the 360 and PS3. I honestly don't think Nintendo will ever get it.

1072770_slimthug_200x200.jpg

Blowin' on that endo
GameCube Nintendo
Five-percent tint
So they can't see up in my window...

p.s. pent-up racism like woah :lol

I remembered there were some retailers that put reservation tops, and just had a look at them.

COMGNET: http://www.comgnet.com/category/4

1. [PS2] Super Robot Wars OG ORIGINAL GENERATIONS - 572pt
2. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX - 384pt
3. [PS2] Shining Wind - 331pt
4. [NDS] Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings - 201pt
5. [Wii] Super Smash Bros Brawl X - 142pt
6. [NDS] Shin Lucky * Star Moe Drill: Tabidachi (DX Pack) - 103pt
7. [PSP] Final Fantasy Shishi Sensou - 85pt
8. [Wii] Dragon Quest Swords - 52pt
9. [PSP] Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core - 45pt
10. [PS2] Tales of Fandom Vol2 (Rook Version) - 42pt
11. [NDS] Kekkaishi: Karasumori Ayakashi Kidan - 34pt
12. [PSP] Ratchet & Clank 5: Gekitotsu! Dodeka Ginga no MiriMiri Gundan - 32pt
13. [PS2] Tales of Fandom Vol2 (Tia Version) - 29pt
14. [PS2] Odin Sphere - 28pt
15. [PS2] Guilty Gear XX Accent Core - 28pt
16. [PS2] Hisshou Pachinko*Pachi-Slot Kouryoku Series Vol. 10: CR Shinseiki Evangelion: Kiseki no Kachi - 28pt
17. [Wii] One Piece Unlimited Adventure - 27pt
18. [PSP] SNOW - 26pt
19. [PS2] Iinazuke - 23pt
20. [PS2] Negima!? Dream Tactic Yumemiru Otome Princess - 23pt

LEPTON: http://www.lepton.ne.jp/game/resrank.html
Its a top30 and not that easily to copy so I'll help just a little :lol
1. Dragon Quest IX
2. Super Robot Wars OG
3. Fate Stay Night
4. Super Smash Bros X
5. Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings

stewacide said:
True, but given the concurrent world-wide launch and strong demand everywhere the supply situation is even more unprecedented (unprecedentedly bad that is).
The worldwide launch hasn't prevented them from having great stock in each territory:

In Japan, they've sold about 90% of what PS2 had sold at a similar time frame. That's the quickest seller of all recent home consoles, but I couldn't tell you if something like SNES had a quicker start. Doubtful, since Wii was said to be the biggest Nintendo console first week ever. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, though, PS2 seemed to take a downturn about now and Wii will probably soon catch up.

In the US, through March they've sold more than any previous console I know of did in its first 5 months. The nearest competition would be the first Xbox, but Wii is still 10-20% ahead for the same time frame.

Europe is hard to say much about, since we get so little hard data.

Demand being huge... yeah.

andthebeatgoeson

Calculaddy said:
Edit: If there's one market I don't think Nintendo will EVER capture, and excuse me if this may irk a few people, is the hip-hop, rap, ganster-style African Americans.

I speak with anecdotal evidence mainly, but Nintendo's entire method: from boxarts, to marketing, to gameplay, to game values just don't attract them to it, and that's always going to be a small buffer for the 360 and PS3. I honestly don't think Nintendo will ever get it.

I know you are new here so, I'll give you a suggestion. If you are gonna go off on something completely crazy, like this assumption that has no real reference or link to this thread (considering black people are not predominant in Japan, which Media Create is all about), then you best come up with a good justification.

I'm not upset you made the comment but it's dumb, irrelevant and unsupported. I'm Black and I like hiphop and Nintendo. You fail. Anecdotal evidence really doesn't support you in any way. We use it alot in here to debate small differences but it universally gets shouted down. That and you don't have any real facts to back that up. 2, the hip hop generation is associated with Black people but the majority of consumers, are white. Hip hop has moved into the realm of pop music. So, that'll further limit any real pursuit of Blacks who like hiphop and play games. Further, you limit to 'ganster-style' for no real reason. You could just say the hip hop generation. Besides, we have shitty games like Def Jam Icon and shitty streetball games to pursue those customers. Nintendo, Sony nor MS pursue any of that demographic directly. It's third parties.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Calculaddy said:
Third parties are at least reaping the benefits in USA and Europe. What with Sonic, Tiger Woods, Rayman, even Madden and Red Steel doing nicely.

In Europe it's just as promising. Japan is fickle. What title would one 3rd party need to release to open the flood gates?

Edit: If there's one market I don't think Nintendo will EVER capture, and excuse me if this may irk a few people, is the hip-hop, rap, ganster-style African Americans.

Lawl

Parl

Our weekly Stupid Argument Poster decided to talk about something quite unrelated to the Japanese sales/market.

Parl said:
Our weekly Stupid Argument Poster decided to talk about something quite unrelated to the Japanese sales/market.

Not really a good argument if he gets banned so quickly.

So what's the count now? 998?

Innotech

Banned
I know Stewacide from another board. He basically likes whatever innovative item is currently fashionable (see: ipod, wii, Macs, Linux, etc)

Anyway, I notice that software in general is heavily declining in Japan aside from DS. I have sort of given up trying to understand what Japan is into these days but its kind of fun to watch the insanity over there.

Neomoto

RevenantKioku said:
Calculaddy said:

In Europe it's just as promising. Japan is fickle. What title would one 3rd party need to release to open the flood gates?

Lawl
Ahaha priceless!

stewacide

Innotech said:
I know Stewacide from another board. He basically likes whatever innovative item is currently fashionable (see: ipod, wii, Macs, Linux, etc)

Anyway, I notice that software in general is heavily declining in Japan aside from DS. I have sort of given up trying to understand what Japan is into these days but its kind of fun to watch the insanity over there.

I consider myself a trend-setter :D (i.e. you know I was on this Wii train long before it looked like a good bet)

Sc.net represent

Arde

Banned
I was on the Wii train as soon as I tried Wiisports.

Is this the thread to join the Moku train or is that in the March NPD thread? :lol

stewacide said:
I consider myself a trend-setter :D (i.e. you know I was on this Wii train long before it looked like a good bet)

Sc.net represent

I think I'm one of the few people who liked the Wiimote so much they were afraid of it failing. That gigantic Wiimote unrevealing thread. Where are those people now??

skinnyrattler said:

Surely you can't be serious.

Deku

Banned
skinnyrattler said:

You're fighting the human ability of denial and self rationalization which is nearly infinite the smarter they are.

While facts help, I find its usually more helpful to combat irrational behavior with irrational responses (to the casual observer) that works within the context of the argument. It tends to end the undesirable behavior and we can move on.

If they say: Nintendo is holding back

Reply:
ps3-2.JPG

Natedeezy

I really want to hop on the Wii tommorow(as it will be available at both Circuit City and Best buy...) But there's only 3-4 games I'm interested in. Hopefully with the ridiculous sales of the Wii the 3rd parties will step up their support. I'll wait til' the holidays to decide, maybe there's some surprises in the pipeline.

sasimirobot

oH Ziran you clever troll you...

xe.com says that the going price in japan:

DS lite~
175.25$ US

bunch of soccer moms and non-gamers would never

skinnyrattler said:

wiicopygy3.jpg

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Innotech said:

OK, really. This is kinda like saying, "Software sales were horrible in japan during the PS2 era if you take out all the PS2 games."

Calcudaddy said:
If there's one market I don't think Nintendo will EVER capture, and excuse me if this may irk a few people, is the hip-hop, rap, ganster-style African Americans.
I think you singled out one segment of the population and too unfairly at that. I think it's better to frame it and say that the typical teen to early 20s male of ANY race into so9me sort of social group that has similarities to "gansgter, hip hop, rap"(that is, they are insecure, feels the need to belong to social groups and has a distnct taste that doesnt necesarilly mesh with Nintendo's image) will not be enticed byu Nintendo products.

English chavs, American guidos, wiggers, Asian gangsta, Mexican gangsta, etc all comes into mind.

edit: oh wait, too late. He's gone.

various posters said:
Re: Moku train

Is it just me, or do I get the feeling that Square might very well believe that they will be the one responsible for creating the userbase needed in order to sustain the expensive FFXIII endeavor on the PS3? I mean, they got one of the hugest ego in the industry after all.

lupin23rd

Agreed on that last comment.

SE appears to me to be a company that would leave FF13 on the PS3 and think they can create the userbase, not turn tail and run like a bunch of pussies.

People said they bailed on a platform before, but they never announced N64 games before moving to PS1 so this doesn't really mean much for PS3. Moving the two titles they have so far after hyping up that they need the power of PS3 would be eating a lot of crow. A LOT.

m

Arde

Banned
lupin23rd said:
Agreed on that last comment.

SE appears to me to be a company that would leave FF13 on the PS3 and think they can create the userbase, not turn tail and run like a bunch of pussies.

People said they bailed on a platform before, but they never announced N64 games before moving to PS1 so this doesn't really mean much for PS3. Moving the two titles they have so far after hyping up that they need the power of PS3 would be eating a lot of crow. A LOT.

m
I'd rather eat crow than eat declining profit.

Oh, I' already booked a ticket to the Moku Express, btw. I just have this nagging feeling in my head that Square would rather swallow their pride, take loses than succumb to Nintendo more than they already have with the DS. I still get this impression that they still have this grudge they won't let go. It could take a while before they fully embrace Nintendo as their new masters.

Eteric Rice

titiklabingapat said:
Oh, I' already booked a ticket to the Moku Express, btw. I just have this nagging feeling in my head that Square would rather swallow their pride, take loses than succumb to Nintendo more than they already have with the DS. I still get this impression that they still have this grudge they won't let go. It could take a while before they fully embrace Nintendo as their new masters.

I think the grudge was more against Yamauchi than it was Nintendo as a company. Thankfully, Yamauchi is pretty much gone. He's still on the board of directors I think, but only to employ his ninja lawyers to take care of things.

andthebeatgoeson

gamergirly said:
I think I'm one of the few people who liked the Wiimote so much they were afraid of it failing. That gigantic Wiimote unrevealing thread. Where are those people now??

At every announcement, I was on the Wii train. Pretty much because of Zelda. But, I didn't have a negative reaction to the Controller or the name. It was great they included their reasoning with every unveiling. And I remember that thread; a few people understood where they were going with it.

They had to unveil it in a certain way. They had to have that video. Just like they need those crappy screen shots with the motion imprinted in a lower corner. I must give Nintendo a lot of credit. They went withstood an onslaught from every corner. And did a pretty good job of conveying their point.

titiklabingapat said:

Dude, they put DQ9 on DS and the first DQ game on any new system is..the Wii. It's just inevitable that they will support the Wii and support it early.

stewacide

Arde said:
I was on the Wii train as soon as I tried Wiisports.

Is this the thread to join the Moku train or is that in the March NPD thread? :lol

I've been on the FFXIII Wii train for at least ~2 months as well: since it became evident no game was going to salvage the PS3 in Japan this year. I eagerly anticipate the announcement, and I don't even like the games :D :D :D

Top Bottom