• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/9 - 4/15

AniHawk

Kobun Heat said:
"Remember when we were doing ten thousand units per week? Per week."

"Kaz, shut the **** up and stop hogging the garbage bag. It's starting to rain."
Thanks. I was trying to think up some dialog but it wasn't coming. :lol :lol

Diablos54

Kobun Heat said:

"Kaz, shut the **** up and stop hogging the garbage bag. It's starting to rain."
:lol :lol :lol Just perfect!

lupin23rd

If moku is who I think he is, I seem to recall him going ****ing berserk when Nintendo showed the controller and writing off Nintendo as retarded.

Anyways, I really don't see why these numbers are really that unexpected. Did anybody really expect the Wii to fail (especially in Japan) where Nintendo has shown that new ideas (DS) sell very well? I'm not surprised and I doubt the Japanese third parties are surprised. It's obviously going to take some time to really bring in the big guns that can take advantage of the controller. We've only seen Nights and Umbrella Chronicles now. I don't see them all scrambling to port big projects from the other consoles because of this magic success.

For Sony's part, I assumed THEY would be the ones still supply-constrained at this stage (not the other way around), so the sales are not a surprise - the reason is, although the lack of games in Japan seems to be a big part of that.

m

Avrum

Eteric Rice said:
What's even crazier as that the Wii is selling this well without it's big titles. What happens when Metroid, Smash Bros, and Mario drop? It's like people act as if these titles don't exist.

And personally (and I've said this before), I don't think the big three will be the ones to boost the Wii out of the atmosphere. My eye is on Wii Health, honestly.

That actually annoys me to some extent because it's like they say this assuming all other things just stop in time. Yeah, the PS3 won't be like this forever as I know many of its upcoming games will have an impact, but you can't exactly forget that PS3 isn't the only system with some potentially big titles on the way.

I actually fear for the internet the day PS3 sales are at a critical point and then something on the scale of Blue Dragon is released on the 360.

Alright kiddos a few things:

1) No more Moku train shit. FFXIII in its current form is never going to see Wii. Wii might get an FFXIII branded game, but they are not going to just scrap the current one.

DROP IT.

2) While many find it amusing, PureAuthor needs to take his story to another thread. Media Create threads are meant for the sales. Not fanfics.

3) Seriously. Moku train stuff is about to get people lengthy bans. Remember MGS4 to 360 crap? Same thing here: until Square officially announces it, it's going to get smacked down.

ethelred

Dragona Akehi said:

1) No more Moku train shit. FFXIII in its current form is never going to see Wii. Wii might get an FFXIII branded game, but they are not going to just scrap the current one.

DROP IT.

2) While many find it amusing, PureAuthor needs to take his story to another thread. Media Create threads are meant for the sales. Not fanfics.

3) Seriously. Moku train stuff is about to get people lengthy bans. Remember MGS4 to 360 crap? Same thing here: until Square officially announces it, it's going to get smacked down.

Awesome. Toss in a few more bannables, and maybe MC threads will stop being shitty like they've become lately.

mj1108

lupin23rd said:
If moku is who I think he is, I seem to recall him going ****ing berserk when Nintendo showed the controller and writing off Nintendo as retarded.

I think that was pretty much 95% of GAF.

Dragona Akehi said:

DROP IT.

How about a Moku bus or a Moku plane? (I kid...)

The hilarity that would ensue on here if it did end up on the Wii. GAF would never ever load again if that happened.

mj1108

Diablos54 said:
I went through the thread a few days ago, there was like 4/5 people who didn't proclaim Nintendo's death. :lol

Between that thread and the thread regarding the revealing of the name Wii it's certainly ironic the way things turned out. :lol

Ikael

What is the problem of people boarding the Moku train? They have exposed their reasons properly and have justified them, it is not a fanboy wish.

That being said, I personally don't think that such a thing can happen.
1- A big part of the game is already done. If you just scrap it, you are basically trowing money to the dumpster. Little sales due to installbase or not, something is always better than nothing at all.
2- A port is near impossible.
3- A ffXIII wii spin off will do the trick

And yep, Wii / DS sales pretty much confirm that the Squarenix support will only improove with the time. I won't be surprised if some huge S-E franchises ends up in the Wii, technical limitations be dammed *prays for a Actraiser Wii*

mj1108

Ikael said:
What is the problem of people boarding the Moku train? They have exposed their reasons properly and have justified them, it is not a fanboy wish.

1- A big part of the game is already done. If you just scrap it, you are basically trowing money to the dumpster. Little sales due to installbase or not, something is always better than nothing at all.

And yep, Wii / DS sales pretty much confirm that the Squarenix support will only improove with the time. I won't be surprised if some huge S-E franchises ends up in the Wii, technical limitations be dammed *prays for a Actraiser Wii*

Whatever money they lose on FFXIII on the PS3, they'll make up with DQIX on the DS.

Diablos54 said:
I've never seen most of it, I found out almost a day after and only saw the end. :( Has anyone got the link to it?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133134

The fun starts around page 21 (if you're at 50 posts per page).

Eteric Rice

Ikael said:

I wouldn't push the issue if I were you.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
18 pages of MC this week!?

riotsquaduq3.jpg

sphinx

the piano man
Dragona Akehi said:

DROP IT.

O.k., got it.

JavyOO7

I can imagine the heavy hitters from 3rd parties will come through eventually. Patience is key...

Nintendo should step it up with internal development though. I actually appreciate most of their non-game stuff (Brain Training, Nintendogs, etc...), but I'd definitely like to see experimental stuff on the system...

Speaking on sales for this week, I can imagine Super Paper Mario doing big numbers for a while though, I'm not sure about BBA though. Maybe we might see the Wii's 2 next million sellers a while from now...

stewacide

medrew said:
Umm, he does know it. His post was basically defining what a sunk cost is and that Square will release it on PS3 because of those sunk costs (some return better than no return).

Hate to drag this topic out, but what's important is all the money they're going to have to invest in the product from this point forward to finish it (and the return that will produce), not what they've already put in.

Kaeru

Banned
Kobun Heat said:

You should be writing the fanfiction :lol

mj1108

JavyOO7 said:
I can imagine the heavy hitters from 3rd parties will come through eventually. Patience is key...

Exactly. Publishers/Developers got caught flatfooted by the response to the system. They all pretty much banked on the PS3 running away with it all. Now that they see that's not the case, they have to adjust.

super funk said:
Hopefully we get a Mono or Tabris out of this new bunch.

malph said:
Could someone do a comparisson of Wii first party vs. third party sales? I just want to put Nintendo's "success" into perspective :D.

I just find it hilarious that people think that a high-end next-gen system with:

Final Fantasy XIII, FFvXIII, DMC4, MGS4, Motorstorm, White Knight Story, LBP, Resistance, VF5, two Gundam games, Killzone, RE5, FFVII Remake, GTA4, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Lair, Heavenly Sword, GT5, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted, Crysis, SingStar, plus Home and the best Blu-Ray player available

will be beaten by a barely last gen console with babyfied PSP ports and retard controls :lol .

Wow, super funk, how do you do it?!

Eteric Rice

I think many felt that they're not going to "port" FFXIII, or stop working on the PS3 version, but use another engine and make a Wii version on the side of the PS3 version.

I'm not saying that will happen, just clarifying. Now that's about all you'll hear from me on the subject.

Lets talk about sales like we're supposed to.

I was wondering, what is Zelda TP up to world wide?

Terrell

mj1108 said:
Whatever money they lose on FFXIII on the PS3, they'll make up with DQIX on the DS.
Subsidizing the loss of one game with the profits of another really doesn't sound like a healthy business strategy to me. But whatever.

Eteric Rice said:
I think many felt that they're not going to "port" FFXIII, or stop working on the PS3 version, but use another engine and make a Wii version on the side of the PS3 version.

I'm not saying that will happen, just clarifying. Now that's about all you'll hear from me on the subject.

Lets talk about sales like we're supposed to.

I was wondering, what is Zelda TP up to world wide?
The Dragona spoke, I would be careful.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Terrell said:
Subsidizing the loss of one game with the profits of another really doesn't sound like a healthy business strategy to me. But whatever.

It's pretty common, sure usually it's using top selling games to allow the production of higher risk games, but this is the same general idea. I'm not saying that I think FFXIII will lose lots of money, though.

Eteric Rice

TheKingsCrown said:
The Dragona spoke, I would be careful.

Indeed, I just wanted to clarify. I won't be discussing it again.

It's pretty common, sure usually it's using top selling games to allow the production of higher risk games, but this is the same general idea. I'm not saying that I think FFXIII will lose lots of money, though.

I'd love to know how much FFXIII is costing them. Would make figuring out how many copies need to be sold before they profit on it.

GreenGlowingGoo said:

The fact that that a numbered Final Fantasy could be considered a higher risk game should be a bit concerning, don't ya think? FFXIII should be the game to subsidize potential losses of something along the lines of Parasite Eve or something.

Deku

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
wow, these threads sure have been swallowed into an ignorance spiral...time to add a new norm to MC threads...usual suspects stating FFXIII will be for Wii, every week and a few times each one.

That's a remarkably easy bet to lose if you don't want to be quoted down the road for being one of the naysayers. Given SE will likely release multiples of FFXIII titles one might just end up on the Wii despite all the contrary evidence.

One point I think all the FFXIII for Wii boosters have right though is that we haven't seen much of the main FFXIII game since the trailer last year and that was just a tech demo. S-E has been working hard promoting the spin off series Fabula Nova Crystalis for PS3 instead. It did raise my eyebrow since this would be the first time a mainline FFXIII game takes a back seat to its spin off entities if they were to release that first. May will clarify quite a few things for us, and probably induce a few meltdowns as well.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Jamesfrom818 said:
The fact that that a numbered Final Fantasy could be considered a higher risk game should be a bit concerning, don't ya think? FFXIII should be the game to subsidize potential losses of something along the lines of Parasite Eve or something.

What? I was merely pointing out to Terrel that using the profits of a good selling game to make up for the loss of bad selling ones is a very old and common strategy. I made no judgements about the games in question.

My goodness. I leave this thread for a day and already there's a trail of bodies lining the road.

I wonder when PS3 sales will bottom out and how bad sales will be that week. Did anyone keep track of the GCN's highs and lows?

mabuza

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:

DROP IT.

good

Parl

stewacide said:
Hate to drag this topic out, but what's important is all the money they're going to have to invest in the product from this point forward to finish it (and the return that will produce), not what they've already put in.

This is true. First, let's ignore all other factors besides costs and turnover made via FF13 development. (so ignoring the impact it'll have on the franchise, the impact it'll have on Square's image, the console ownership of current and potential Final Fantasy buyers, etc).

This is just an example. And the numbers aren't intended to be good estimates.

Let's say SE has already sunk 15 million into its development on PS3.

And it'll cost them another 15 million to finish it. And let's say that releasing it on PS3 will give them sales of 1 million. We'll put it at a turnover of 20 million. This is a 10 million US dollar loss.

And if they put it on Wii right now. It'd mean much of the design process, the gameplay and programming has been done, it'd just need porting down to Wii, downgrading assets and/or reusing assets from PS2 games, etc. We'll put it at a bloated 15 million to finish. And it sells 3 million and gives them a turnover of 50 million. That's a 20 million US dollar profit.

Square-Enix's decision will be very significant for the Japanese gaming market, IMO, and thus it is a very important discussion in a Media Create thread.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Dragona Akehi said:

DROP IT.

Why is reasoned speculation based on sales a bad thing for a sales thread? I don't follow. Don't want to argue, just wondering.

mabuza

Banned
Parl said:
This is true. First, let's ignore all other factors besides costs and turnover made via FF13 development. (so ignoring the impact it'll have on the franchise, the impact it'll have on Square's image, the console ownership of current and potential Final Fantasy buyers, etc).

And it'll cost them another 15 million to finish it. And let's say that releasing it on PS3 will give them sales of 1 million. We'll put it at a turnover of 20 million. This is a 10 million US dollar loss.

And if they put it on Wii right now. It'd mean much of the design process, the gameplay and programming has been done, it'd just need porting down to Wii, downgrading assets and/or reusing assets from PS2 games, etc. We'll put it at a bloated 15 million to finish. And it sells 3 million and gives them a turnover of 50 million. That's a 20 million US dollar profit.

Square-Enix's decision will be very significant for the Japanese gaming market, IMO, and thus it is a very important discussion in a Media Create thread.
did you read the ****ing earlier post. give it a rest

Parl said:

Well said. Square-Enix has some very interesting decisions ahead of them. Whatever they do it will cause a meltdown (either on the internet, or among Square-Enix itself).

Parl

mabuza said:
did you read the ****ing earlier post. give it a rest

No, and I haven't really talked about this before. Somebody should make a thread about it or something. I'm amazed that GAF could veto such an obviously important discussion in MC threads.

What are we gonna talk about? I mean, if there's discussion with depth about important issues for the Japanese market, then it's okay. It's just as valid a discussion as "will PS3 drop below 10k, 9k 8k per week over the course of the next few months?"

But if that's what's been decided, then so be it. Sales-Age discussion continue its downward spiral. Soon, discussion of future 3rd party Wii support in Japan, discussion of the future of big franchises (other than FF) and the platforms they will be on, and Predictions-Age will die. R.I.P. 2007.
j/k

In all seriousness, we should stop saying "FF13 on Wii!", "MGS4 on 360", "DQX on Wii", etc, week-in-week out. But these are big issues to and need to be discussed somewhere.

Deku said:
That's a remarkably easy bet to lose if you don't want to be quoted down the road for being one of the naysayers. Given SE will likely release multiples of FFXIII titles one might just end up on the Wii despite all the contrary evidence.
I don't see any bet in my post. I was mentioning that discussion on the main FFXIII going Wii had become a norm here and it was pretty pathethic. Thankfully Dragona came in and we can relax a little and maybe turn this into a MC thread rather than the 'lets discuss what will happen to FFXIII' weekly thread.

Mr. Pointy said:
What's the MC LTD for Bleach DS 2nd?
Unless it was given in a 2ch post, thats going to be difficult to know. The latest Famitsu number for it that I have (probably last number before leaving top30) is 65,414.

Parl said:
No, and I haven't really talked about this before. Somebody should make a thread about it or something. I'm amazed that GAF could veto such an obviously important discussion in MC threads.

What are we gonna talk about? I mean, if there's discussion with depth about important issues for the Japanese market, then it's okay. It's just as valid a discussion as "will PS3 drop below 10k, 9k 8k per week over the course of the next few months?"

But if that's what's been decided, then so be it. Sales-Age discussion continue its downward spiral. Soon, discussion of future 3rd party Wii support in Japan, discussion of the future of big franchises (other than FF) and the platforms they will be on, and Predictions-Age will die. R.I.P. 2007.
Dragona spoke. Take heed and realize that she's probably one of the most powerful Nintendo mods around. But you already knew that.

Parl

titiklabingapat said:
Dragona spoke. Take heed and realize that she's probably one of the most powerful Nintendo mods around. But you already knew that.

Yeah, I know only too well. Only kidding, anyway. I've been persuaded to her line of thinking now.

Anyway, let's talk about something different. Who thinks PS3 will continue its decline in hardware sales next week?

Top Bottom