• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/16 - 7/22

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Aadil said:
Sorry, their market share at the moment, ps2+ps3+psp, compared to Wii+DS and xbox360 in Japan.

Why does Sony get to count the PS2 and Nintendo not get to count the GameCube or the GBA or Microsoft the XBox? Just because the consoles themselves are no longer selling, doesn't mean people aren't still playing games. Also, if current sales are relevant to userbase, one might argue that you'd have to weight the current userbase along with the trend of sales (given that while the PS2 is still currently selling, it's obviously on its way out).

The numbers you want are stacked in Sony's favour because you're counting three Sony platforms, two Nintendo platforms, and one Microsoft platform.

Sony (PS2+PS3+PSP): 20,619,188+5,718,694+988,860=27,326,742 = 55.5%
Nintendo (Wii+DS): 3,146,414+18,412,969=21,559,383 = 43.7%
Microsoft (360): 391,261 = 0.7%

There you go.

Sharp

Aadil said:
I'm counting the ps2 because it is still selling very strongly, gcn, gba and xbox have almost stopped selling. X360 and PS3 both are in essence competing with the ps2.
The PS2 is not selling "very strongly" in Japan, which is I think what we're talking about. Even if it were, you're not counting recent sales, but total sales, which means that the other three come into play. Selectively picking and choosing your sample size like that is never a good idea.

That said? 3.1 million + 18.4 million < 20.6 million + 0.9 million + 5.7 million, though if it weren't for the PSP they would actually be tied.

Aadil

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Why does Sony get to count the PS2 and Nintendo not get to count the GameCube or the GBA or Microsoft the XBox? At this point it's stacked in Sony's favour because you're counting three Sony platforms, two Nintendo platforms, and one Microsoft platform.

There you go.
Thank you, I wanted to see how well the DS and Wii solely did against the PS2 and Sonys 'next gen' combined.

Amazing.

Aadil

Banned
Sharp said:
The PS2 is not selling "very strongly" in Japan, which is I think what we're talking about. Even if it were, you're not counting recent sales, but total sales, which means that the other three come into play. Selectively picking and choosing your sample size like that is never a good idea.

That said? 3.1 million + 18.4 million < 20.6 million + 0.9 million + 5.7 million, though if it weren't for the PSP they would actually be tied.
It is selling strongly compared to the PS3 and 360 in Japan.

Sharp

Aadil said:
It is selling strongly compared to the PS3 and 360 in Japan.
It's selling only a little better than the PS3 in Japan. By a few thousand weekly, at most. And bringing up the 360 in Japan is kind of a low blow. We don't like to talk about it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Other numbers:
PS3 + PSP versus Wii + DS = 23.7% / 76.3%
PSP versus DS+GBA = 14.5% / 85.5%
PSP versus DS = 23.7% / 76.3%

ziran

Stumpokapow said:
Why does Sony get to count the PS2 and Nintendo not get to count the GameCube or the GBA or Microsoft the XBox? Just because the consoles themselves are no longer selling, doesn't mean people aren't still playing games. Also, if current sales are relevant to userbase, one might argue that you'd have to weight the current userbase along with the trend of sales (given that while the PS2 is still currently selling, it's obviously on its way out).

The numbers you want are stacked in Sony's favour because you're counting three Sony platforms, two Nintendo platforms, and one Microsoft platform.

There you go.
That's interesting, thanks.

Looking at the graph with manufacturer share...

5yuhjsx.jpg

...with a 44% market share of current systems (which still have games charting), Nintendo is dominating the software charts as if they had 80%!

PantherLotus said:
And, acknowledging your point that it doesn't grow linearly, I did qualify my statement by saying AT THIS RATE, which might have prevented your insightful correction.
However, you didn't qualify what this rate was. You seem to have meant the rate of markethsare percentage change, while I'd usually use it to mean the rate of current actual sales.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
JoshuaJSlone said:
However, you didn't qualify what this rate was. You seem to have meant the rate of markethsare percentage change, while I'd usually use it to mean the rate of current actual sales.

PantherLotus said:
75% in 11 weeks at this rate. (.4-.5 per week)

I'm not sure why this is being challenged honestly. It's not ridiculous, it's not incorrect, it's not based on false assumptions, and it's a fairly clear assertion. What's the deal? I get one guy telling me that marketshare doesn't grow linearly (*shocker*) and now you're telling me I didn't qualify my assertion properly...when I put the .4-.5 per week right there at the end? Should I have put in the percentage symbol?

TJ Spyke

ziran, what's up with the numbers in that graph? If Nintendo has 39 games, Sony 10, and Microsoft 0, then where is that last game?

PantherLotus said:
I'm not sure why this is being challenged honestly. It's not ridiculous, it's not incorrect, it's not based on false assumptions, and it's a fairly clear assertion. What's the deal? I get one guy telling me that marketshare doesn't grow linearly (*shocker*) and now you're telling me I didn't qualify my assertion properly...when I put the .4-.5 per week right there at the end? Should I have put in the percentage symbol?
I read it like "At this week's sales rates, Wii will have 75% in 11 weeks, having increased in percent .4-.5 each week." while you intended "At this week's percent change rate of .4-.5 each week, it will result in 75% in 11 weeks." Simple mistake.

Repeating this week's sales 11 more times as I thought you meant would result in Wii 72.7%, PS3 19.9%, X360 7.5%. It would take 24 more of this week to reach Wii 75.1%, PS3 18.4%, X360 6.5%.

JoshuaJSlone said:
I read it like "At this week's sales rates, Wii will have 75% in 11 weeks, having increased in percent .4-.5 each week." while you intended "At this week's percent change rate of .4-.5 each week, it will result in 75% in 11 weeks." Simple mistake.

Repeating this week's sales 11 more times as I thought you meant would result in Wii 72.7%, PS3 19.9%, X360 7.5%. It would take 24 more of this week to reach Wii 75.1%, PS3 18.4%, X360 6.5%.

<3

PantherLotus said:

=(

TJ Spyke said:
ziran, what's up with the numbers in that graph? If Nintendo has 39 games, Sony 10, and Microsoft 0, then where is that last game?
If Nintendo gets 39.3 games, Sony 10.3 games, and Microsoft 0.4 games in the top 50, when you round the numbers, it's 39, 10 and 0.

acuul

just a question: can we get first weeks sales figures for PS2 in 2000 (I think the console was launched in march...) ? or media-create still did not release them?
just to make a comparison with the Wii...

KINGMOKU

PantherLotus said:

worldwideSALESFORBUTTHEADS.jpg

figured I'd come in here at poke at the grizzly bear as well.

apujanata

acuul said:
just a question: can we get first weeks sales figures for PS2 in 2000 (I think the console was launched in march...) ? or media-create still did not release them?
just to make a comparison with the Wii...

Are you talking about software ? or hardware ?

If software, some of the first week sales on PS2, around 7 years ago (PS2 launched on March 4, 2000) (all data is famitsu based):
March 5, 2000 : Ridge Racer V : 233,391
March 5, 2000 : Kessen : 101,844
March 5, 2000 : Street Fighter EX 3 : 76,389
March 5, 2000 : Drum Maniac : 43,158
March 5, 2000 : Eternal Ring : 42,734
March 5, 2000 : A Train 6 : 17,842
March 5, 2000 : Mah-jongg Conference III : 9,906
April 2, 2000 : Tekken Tag Tournament : 214,753
April 2, 2000 : Dead Or Alive 2 : 158,506
May 28, 2000 : FIFA (don't know the complete name) : 101,599
July 2, 2000 : TVDJ : 6,984
July 9, 2000 : Pawapuro Pro Kun 7 ?? : 142,152

For unknown game (since the source is in Chinese, and I don't have the right encoder for that)
May 7, 2000 : ?? (Unknown game) : 75,083
June 11, 2000 : ?? (Unknown game) : 88,669
June 25, 2000 : ?? (Unknown game) : 10,260
July 2, 2000 : ?? (Unknown game) : 42,831

I think Tekken Tag Tournament and DOA2 will be what is today called "Launch window" timeframe.

Edit : Thanks to Joshua for his help in getting the name of the launch software right.

apujanata said:
Can anyone help me with the name of the launch software ?
Using a Japanese source it's easier to machine translate and interpret from there. The launch games you list

Ridge Racer V : 233,391
Kessen : 101,844
Street Fighter EX 3 : 76,389
Drum Maniac : 43,158
"It probably will go by the A train 6 where", some train sim : 17,842
Mah-jongg Conference III : 9,906

AniHawk

Random, completely off-topic reservation numbers that are virtually meaningless but fun to look at:

DS Lite Brain Age 2 Bundle: 3 (lol idots)
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass: 86
God of War: Chains of Olympus: 13 (top most preordered PSP game. Gran Turismo is second with 9)
Persona 3: 8
R&C Future: 2

360:
Halo 3: 356 (191 reg, 28 LE, 137 Leg)
Bioshock: 29 (10 regular, 19 CE)
Assassin's Creed: 27 (16 reg, 11 CE) - forgot about the PS3 version
Mass Effect: 24

Wii:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 41
Super Mario Galaxy: 19
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption: 18
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles: 11
Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn: 7

Grand Theft Auto IV: 71
360: 48 (28 reg, 20 CE)
PS3: 23 (7 reg, 16 CE)

Guitar Hero III: 160
Wii: 47
360: 44 (43 bundle, 1 game only)
PS2: 38 (21 bundle, 17 game only)
PS3: 31

Rock Band: 11
360: 10 (9 complete bundles, 1 drum kit)
PS3: 1 (complete bundle)

Manhunt 2: 5
PS2: 3
Wii: 2

Now, it's not an exact science, but on some of the bigger games, reservations equal somewhere around 0.001% of first month sales. I noticed this with Halo 2 (400 to 4m), RE4 GC (33 to 300k-330k [can't remember]), GoW2 (80 to 880k), and most recently: RE4 Wii (15 to 150k). Like I said. It's not an exact science, but they're a decent indicator of popularity nonetheless.

Epiphyte

AniHawk said:
Random, completely off-topic reservation numbers that are virtually meaningless but fun to look at:

DS Lite Brain Age 2 Bundle: 3 (lol idots)
God of War: Chains of Olympus: 13 (top most preordered PSP game. Gran Turismo is second with 9)
Persona 3: 8
R&C Future: 2
Those poor bastards. How long have they been sitting on those?

apujanata

AniHawk said:

360:
Halo 3: 356 (191 reg, 28 LE, 137 Leg)
Bioshock: 29 (10 regular, 19 CE)
Assassin's Creed: 27 (16 reg, 11 CE) - forgot about the PS3 version
Mass Effect: 24

Wii:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 41
Super Mario Galaxy: 19
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption: 18
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles: 11
Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn: 7

Nice, big # of Zelda: PH pre-order there.
Halo 3 # is expected.
Low SMG preorder # (only almost the same # with MP3 is dissapointing, IMO).
Nice to see FE game got "not bad" preorder.

Anihawk, what is the pre-order # for Zelda : WW and Zelda : TP in your store ? double digit or triple digit ?

AniHawk

apujanata said:
Nice, big # of Zelda: PH pre-order there.
Halo 3 # is expected.
Low SMG preorder # (only almost the same # with MP3 is dissapointing, IMO).
Nice to see FE game got "not bad" preorder.

Anihawk, what is the pre-order # for Zelda : WW and Zelda : TP in your store ? double digit or triple digit ?

TWW goes back to before the store existed, back before I worked there. TP was at 192.

MP3 preorder's been up since it was announced for August way back in... May, was it? Galaxy, Brawl, and FE's SKUs were only added on the 21st... I think.

EktorPR

AniHawk said:
Galaxy, Brawl, and FE's SKUs were only added on the 21st... I think.

Correct. According to one of the clerks at my local Gamestop, they've had 78 people preordering Galaxy already...and that was last wednesday, when I went to pick up a used copy of Jungle Beat (finally!).

Link

The Autumn Wind
I wonder what was the highest number GT Portable reached. You have to figure a good chunk of people have either canceled or transfered their preorder by now.

apujanata

AniHawk said:
TWW goes back to before the store existed, back before I worked there. TP was at 192.

MP3 preorder's been up since it was announced for August way back in... May, was it? Galaxy, Brawl, and FE's SKUs were only added on the 21st... I think.

Ok. I forgot that you mentioned that (preorder on 21st) in the last M-create topic. Since it is less than 10 days since the date the pre-order was enabled, it is doing good.

Rakka,
I see that MP3 has more niche market appeal, especially when compared to Super Mario Galaxy. MP3 figures is good for a niche market, but SMG not so good (before I know that it is less than 10 days since the pre-order was added for SMG).

jvalioli

I think that SMG would actually be more popular among the crowd that doesn't pre-order. So even if MP3 ends up with higher pre-order numbers, SMG will probably still sell more.

AniHawk

rakka said:
Why disappointing >:-(

MP3 > SMG

Factually incorrect.

MP3 is worse than most games, but the difference is only further exemplified when one realizes SMG will have some of the best game design seen in at least a decade.

rakka

AniHawk said:
Factually incorrect.

MP3 is worse than most games, but the difference is only further exemplified when one realizes SMG will have some of the best game design seen in at least a decade.

You're still getting it though.

AniHawk

rakka said:
Who loves his italian plumbers
Italian plumbers have nothing to do with my anticipation of SMG, much like how I suspect the pretty pictures in FFXIII will have nothing to do with its eventual quality (or lack thereof).

rakka

AniHawk said:
Italian plumbers have nothing to do with my anticipation of SMG, much like how I suspect the pretty pictures in FFXIII will have nothing to do with its eventual quality (or lack thereof).

Oh so you're from the future?

S-E like Nintendo occasionally make good games you know.

AniHawk

rakka said:
Oh so you're from the future?

S-E like Nintendo occasionally make good games you know.

If Lair is as terrible as EGM says, then there's really no hope left for the PS3 in general, not like that would have affected FFXIII.

rakka

AniHawk said:
If Lair is as terrible as EGM says, then there's really no hope left for the PS3 in general, not like that would have affected FFXIII.

At least can we agree that Prime 3 > Lair then?

Top Bottom