• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/16 - 7/22

faust666

lordmrw said:
From reading the Play review, you can tell the reviewer wants to give the game a much lower score, but because of the graphics and sound, he skewed it higher. He mentions that the game is a 10 in graphics and sound, but a 2 in playability.

The exact phrase was "clarity of experience a 2" not playability.

Lightning said:
I find it amusing that people are buying PSP's but are not buying any games for the system....
I'm clueless...
20060403123528.jpg

jimbo

Banned
Moor-Angol said:
It's not totally worthless, sometime it's helpfull for understanding how the market is going.
If a title quickly drops day after day, it means sales are going down, the only big difference is about preorders, sometimes we saw many games that never entered in top25 but has some decent sales, on the other hand, sometimes we saw games for long time in the highest places but they sold not so much.

Last week we had Famitsu top100 for first half 2007 and many people was surprised to see some DS games, but if you look at amazon.jp, you will see them constantly in the chart (Kanji Training from IE Institute, TOEIC Test, just to say 2 titles).

So, as i said before, it's not totally worthless and not totally helpfull, you only have to interpret data in the correct way.

@ Jimbo: Oblivion currently is above MnG5, but you know how long time MnG5 has stayed in top25 before launch? Many, many, many weeks.
That's the difference.
Don't focus on positions just considering some days or a few weeks, you must increase the range of weeks to have a better analysis.
Another thing to keep an eye on is used games: after release days, if you see many people selling the game, this means sales will drop cause people are buying 2nd hand copies.

Hope i gave some hints about how to understand in a better way amazon.jp top100 chart
:)

Actually I've been keeping track since late april. Oblivion's been higher and longer than MNG, which is why it's not a good indicator in the case of PS3 or Wii....much larger user base compared to 360. MNG killed it in first day sales. Same happened with NG. Not once did it ever top ES, but it still had longer legs, while ES dropped like a rock. off MC charts.

Frillen

LanceStern said:
They usually know first day numbers and a famitsu chart update...

First day sales numbers usually comes out between 6 and 9 hours after m-create has upfated their site. Famitsu sales Hardware, top 10 and selectable games with their sales numbers, always comes out on wednesdays.

Frillen said:
First day sales numbers usually comes out between 6 and 9 hours after m-create has upfated their site. Famitsu sales Hardware, top 10 and selectable games with their sales numbers, always comes out on wednesdays.

I just call it like I see it every week.

Just a question if anyone know, why doesn't MC or Famitsu give us LTD numbers for games charted every week, instead of only the top 10? Is this reserved for paying customers or something?

Jokeropia

BishopLamont said:
Just a question if anyone know, why doesn't MC or Famitsu give us LTD numbers for games charted every week, instead of only the top 10? Is this reserved for paying customers or something?
Not sure if this is what you mean, but MC only gives weekly sales figures for the top 10 so they obviously can't give LTD figures for games outside it either. Famitsu gives us a weekly top 30 (with numbers) but are one week behind MC.

C.T.

Jokeropia said:
Not sure if this is what you mean, but MC only gives weekly sales figures for the top 10 so they obviously can't give LTD figures for games outside it either. Famitsu gives us a weekly top 30 (with numbers) but are one week behind MC.

Wow, good reading comprehension.

Tf53

Jokeropia said:
Not sure if this is what you mean, but MC only gives weekly sales figures for the top 10 so they obviously can't give LTD figures for games outside it either.
Yeah. It always sucks when a game drops out of the top 10 and resurfaces, because then we can't possibly know it's LTD anymore. Ever thought that maybe they track all game sales? They could give us the numbers if they wanted. The question is, why don't they?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Tf53 said:
Yeah. It always sucks when a game drops out of the top 10 and resurfaces, because then we can't possibly know it's LTD anymore. Ever thought that maybe they track all game sales? They could give us the numbers if they wanted. The question is, why don't they?

Because they sell that data?

jimbo

Banned
Wow, I can't believe Oblivion is STILL in the top 10 on Amazon.jp. No 360 game has ever done that this year almost a week after it came out.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/videogames

Also interesting is that the Halo 3 jumped 10 spots since the 4 player co-op announcement, and is also the earliest a 360 game has charted on Amazon before its release date with the exception of Ace Combat 6(Top 40 since mid July and doesn't come out until Nov).

If my theory holds Oblivion may just be the first 360 game this year to actually chart 2 weeks in a row. While Halo 3 and Ace Combat 6 are poised to be the best selling 360 games this year in Japan. LO isn't available for pre-order but I expect that to also be a top contender. If it was available for pre-order it would probably be above AC6.

Oh and how come Japan gets this and we don't? http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B000UA13VK/

Oblivion had really good first day sales, too. I'm curious to see where it'll top out for the week; a top ten -- maybe top 5 even -- spot is very likely.

jimbo

Banned
Magicpaint said:
Oblivion had really good first day sales, too. I'm curious to see where it'll top out for the week; a top ten -- maybe top 5 even -- spot is very likely.

Man I would freaking love it if Oblivion goes on to double ES and get close to BD sales. :lol It would turn GAF on its head. Western RPG with "bad art" outsells FF creator's first next-gen game and ES's lush and beautiful Japanese stylish graphics.

I wanna see that almost as bad as the streams crossing. Oh and if Halo 3 and COD4 outsells Lost Odyssey in Japan....that would be really sweet too.:lol

Edit: And I just have this crazy feeling that something like this can happen, because this generation, Japan has done nothing but throw curve balls...as if almost on purpose to spite GAF predictions;)

AniHawk

jimbo said:
Man I would freaking love it if Oblivion goes on to double ES and get close to BD sales. :lol It would turn GAF on its head. Western RPG with "bad art" outsells FF creator's first next-gen game and ES's lush and beautiful Japanese stylish graphics.

I wanna see that almost as bad as the streams crossing. Oh and if Halo 3 and COD4 outsells Lost Odyssey in Japan....that would be really sweet too.:lol

That'd be awesome to see Japanese support amount to totally nothing. Maybe in the future, the 360 will get even less games.

It might mean less chance of more jRPGs on the 360. :/

Don't get me wrong, I want Oblivion to do well because it's great, but I want my fix of jRPGs on 360 (I'm not getting a PS3 anytime soon), and so I want jRPGs to do well-- I wasn't too pleased with TB dropping like a rock, but BD's sales were very encouraging; it met the target of both Microsoft and Sakaguchi.

jimbo

Banned
AniHawk said:
That'd be awesome to see Japanese support amount to totally nothing. Maybe in the future, the 360 will get even less games.

What? How does a Western game outselling a Japanese game that's already out in Japan = less Japanese support? I'm not wishing JRPG's to bomb...I'm saying it would be funny if a western RPG outsold them. Or a FPS. Oblivion's success or failure won't change ES or BD's sales now.

That's like saying if FF outsells Killzone 2 in the US, it means less Western FPS for the PS3 in the US.

AniHawk

jimbo said:
What? How does a Western game outselling a Japanese game that's already out in Japan = less Japanese support? I'm not wishing JRPG's to bomb...I'm saying it would be funny if a western RPG outsold them. Or a FPS. Oblivion's success or failure won't change ES or BD's sales now.

That's like saying if FF outsells Killzone 2 in the US, it means less Western FPS for the PS3 in the US.

That'd actually be great. I'd love to see some more creativity on the system.

Jokeropia

Tf53 said:
I don't doubt they track sales of all the games being sold (how would they otherwise know which are in the top 10/30/50?) they just only release figures for the weekly top 10. Had they released LTD figures for games outside the top 10 then they would've indirectly revealed weekly sales of those games too.

jimbo

Banned
AniHawk said:
That'd actually be great. I'd love to see some more creativity on the system.

So would I. Because in all honesty, after everything we've heard and played about these 3 games....Oblivion, even 1 year later, wipes the floor with both BD and ES as far as bang for your buck, fun factor and depth. It would actually mean the Japanese aren't as closed minded as people think, and they would recognize a game based on its own merit, even though its developed in the West.

Because let's be honest if Oblivion had this art style
final-fantasy-versus-xiii.jpg

and this logo:
square_enix_logo.jpg

it would sell like hotcakes in Japan.

Square proved that they can copy a Western formula add their style to it, and make it a huge success. I'd love it if they tried to copy Oblivion with the same success. I would be in heaven for an Oblivion-like game with Japanese art.....not the "look-at-me-I'm-so-cute" stuff...but the more mature Japanese art like you see in some of the Animes or even later FF titles.

Famitsu numbers

PS3 38,000
PS2 14,000
Wii 70,000
360 3,800

1. [Wii] Mario Party 8 - 280,000
2. [PS3] Minna no Golf 5 - 176,000
3. [NDS] Taiko no Tatsujin DS - 90,000
4. [NDS] Its a Wonderful World - 81,000
5. [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 14 - 53,000(~200,000)
6. [360] Oblivion - 45,000
7. [Wii] Gundam MS 0079 - 44,000
8. [PSP] GTA LCS - 39,000
9. [Wii] Dragon Quest Swords - 32,000(~400,000)
10. [NDS] Zelda Phantom Hourglass - 32,000 (~680,000)

13. PS2 パチパラ14 - 24,000
14. --- MGS BOX - 24,000
18. PS2 KOF Maximum Impact A - 18,000
20. PS3 Wangan Midnight - 18,000
25. PS2 Shake II - 16,000
30. PSP Piposaru Daisakusen - 13,000
... NDS Simple DS Vol 18 Gunground - 2,600
... ??? Major League - 1,600
... Wii Dewy's Adventure - 1,200
... Wii Guilty Gear - 900
... ??? むこうぶち - 650

I'll continue translating...

AniHawk

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Famitsu numbers

PS3 38000
PS2 14000
Wii 70000
360 3800

1. Mario Party 8 - 280000
2. Minna no Golf 5 - 176000
3. Taiko DS - 90000
4. きのこ 81000
5. Pawapro 14 53000(計200000)
6. Oblivion 45000
7. MS0079 44000
8. GTALCS 39000
9. Dragon Quest Swords 32000(計400000)
10. Zelda DS 32000(計680000)
13.パチパラ14 24000
14.MGS BOX 24000
18.KOF 18000
20.湾岸 18000
25.シェイクII 16000
30.サルゲッチュ 13000
外.ガングラウンド 2600
外.メジャーリーグ 1600
外.デューイ 1200
外.ギルギア 900
外.むこうぶち 650

What a crazy week this will be.

MNG performed considerably worse than I thought it would. MP8 performed considerably better. PS3 numbers were in line with my expectations.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Famitsu numbers

PS3 38,000
PS2 14,000
Wii 70,000
360 3,800

1. Wii Mario Party 8 - 280,000
2. PS3 Minna no Golf 5 - 176,000
3. NDS Taiko no Tatsujin DS - 90,000
4. きのこ - 81,000
5. PS2 Pawapro 14 - 53,000(計200,000)
6. 360 Oblivion - 45,000
7. Wii Gundam MS0079 - 44,000
8. PSP GTALCS - 39,000
9. Wii Dragon Quest Swords - 32,000(計400,000)
10. NDS Zelda DS - 32,000(計680,000)
13.パチパラ14 24000
14.MGS BOX 24000
18.KOF 18000
20.湾岸 18000
25.シェイクII 16000
30.サルゲッチュ 13000
外.ガングラウンド 2600
外.メジャーリーグ 1600
外.デューイ 1200
外.ギルギア 900
外.むこうぶち 650

Wow at Mario Party

A bit disappointing IMO for Minna no Golf.

Decent PS3 numbers but like the Gundam bump it clearly won't last

Thought Wii hardware would be higher for MP8.

botticus

So that's 90,000 copies of Taiko DS that have to be replaced? (says GameFront)

How much was the Gundabump? Were PS3 numbers higher or just a bigger percent increase?

E-phonk

Banned
If these numbers are reflected in MC, the one who made the bet that Mario party would outsell MNG with at least 50% seems to have been right.

donny2112

BishopLamont said:
why doesn't MC or Famitsu give us LTD numbers for games charted every week, instead of only the top 10?

Famitsu gives a top 30 with LTD numbers for free every week for two weeks ago. Are you joking here? I figured it would be kind of hard to miss. :p

BishopLamont said:
If they sell the data, how come we never get any leaks what so ever?

We do. How do you think we ever see weekly numbers or LTDs for games outside of the top 10 from Media-Create? Just because it isn't thousands of games doesn't mean we never see any leaked data.

ksamedi

Dissapointing MNG numbers, but that was expected. I think many will be dissapointed with MGS4 and FF13 numbers as well. Slow selling consoles just dont have good software numbers, like almost all Nintendo franchises with the Cube.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
And people thought DQS would do a million units... heh

How does Wonderful World stack up against new Square IPs?
I can't tell if that number is good or not... though considering how easy DS games sell at this point, it doesnt seem that great

How much did the PS3 sell when Gundam came out?

Nevertheless: nice to see a 360 and PS3 game in the top 10. I'm very surprised by Oblivion. That seems to come out of nowhere, with all our attention going to Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata. Also: great sales for MP8. Can someone give the previous MP opening week numbers?

ksamedi

John Harker said:
And people thought DQS would do a million units... heh

How does Wonderful World stack up against new Square IPs?
I can't tell if that number is good or not... though considering how easy DS games sell at this point, it doesnt seem that great

I think it has supply issues, should do 700k atleast when all is said and done.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
20.Wangan PS3 18000
外. Wii Dewy's Adventure - 1,200
外. Wii Guilty Gear - 900
Wow, especially Dewy.

test_account said:
Higher attach ratio with MnG5 than MP8 tho (~17.6% VS ~9.3%) ;)
:lol

*waits for Link316 to come agree*

MnG5 didn't sell as high as it could have. Could have legs. Maybe. PS3 sales are decent, more like REmakebump than Gundabump. Although I'd hope it can sustain those numbers.

MP8 exploded.

IAWW did better than I was expecting.

ethelred

jimbo said:

Or: that's like saying that if a Nintendo game outsells a third party game, third parties are less likely to put games on a Nintendo system.

Certainly never heard that one before.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
4. [NDS] Its a Wonderful World - 81,000

Not too bad a launch. I can live with that, I guess. :/

donny2112

botticus said:
How much was the Gundabump? Were PS3 numbers higher or just a bigger percent increase?

Week Gundam Musou was released:

PS3 - 44,000 (+128%)

Famitsu Minna no Golf 5 week compared to last week's Media-Create:

PS3 - 38,000 (+170%)

Top Bottom