• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/16 - 7/22

AniHawk said:
If Lair is as terrible as EGM says, then there's really no hope left for the PS3 in general, not like that would have affected FFXIII.

EGM scores game LOW. Lair will be getting 8.5s and up everywhere else I believe.

On a side note, is play magazine traditionally biased against nintendo?

I just read their recent article "long live the king"... lots of sour grape against the wii :/

Some choicy quote here

"PS3 sales is still soft, but the proposed 10 year lifespam shouldnt need a strong initial sales"

"hurray for blue-ray"

"nintendo is back on top with DS and Wii.... but for how long?"

" sony is to reboot the softening psp demand with a incoming pricedrop to compete with the much more popular DS, althogh such comparison shouldnt be valid as they are targeting at different demographic"

EktorPR

sebthelobster said:
On a side note, is play magazine traditionally biased against nintendo?

I just read their recent article "long live the king"... lots of sour grape against the wii :/

Some choicy quote here

"PS3 sales is still soft, but the proposed 10 year lifespam shouldnt need a strong initial sales"

"hurray for blue-ray"

"nintendo is back on top with DS and Wii.... but for how long?"

" sony is to reboot the softening psp demand with a incoming pricedrop to compete with the much more popular DS, althogh such comparison shouldnt be valid as they are targeting at different demographic"

Uhuh. Always has been, always will be (unless Dave Halverson leaves the Editor post).

donny2112

justchris said:
(You can't really count Super Paper Mario, it's an RPG that just happens to resolve battles & exploration through platforming.)

Very unfortunately, that's the truth. :( When I first saw it, I thought it would be like the platforming levels in Paper Mario: TTYD. Reality is somewhat different. It's still a decent game, but it doesn't have as much draw, for me, as a pure platformer in that style (even with the character switching and abilities included) would have.

Stumpokapow said:
I know dozens of people who have PS2 fat and PS2 slim and we don't question the PS2's sales numbers because of the known duplicates.

It gets brought up occassionally, but when you're talking about 120 million vs. 22/24 million or 100 million vs. 22/24 million, it's sort of a moot point. Besides, there's no way to know for sure how many are repeat buyers or why they bought the system again (e.g. broken, new design). Also with both the 360 and the PS2, the large amount of total software sales shows that the duplicate buyers don't prevent the software from still selling.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
donny2112 said:
It gets brought up occassionally, but when you're talking about 120 million vs. 22/24 million or 100 million vs. 22/24 million, it's sort of a moot point. Besides, there's no way to know for sure how many are repeat buyers or why they bought the system again (e.g. broken, new design). Also with both the 360 and the PS2, the large amount of total software sales shows that the duplicate buyers don't prevent the software from still selling.

That was entirely my point; that because you have no idea how many buyers for any console are repeats or collectors or people breaking the consoles for funny YouTube videos, you can't say something like "360S BREAK SO SALES NUMBERS ARE INFLATED" which is what the guy I was replying to was saying.

Lobster said:
Just like they gave Sonic360 a 9.

I think we should just keep to our normal review sites, 1up, IGN, Gamespot.

It's really a question of personal taste. Decide what reviews seem to match up with your views and stick with them if you trust them. Personally I find IGN and Gamespot lacking, and much prefer EGM and Edge for their tough reviews. But I wouldn't expect everyone to agree with me.

AniHawk

More virtually meaningless numbers from The Store:

Heavenly Sword: 17
Lairrible: 26 (second highest for the system ever outside GH III)

Half Life 2: The Orange Box: 12
360: 10
PS3: 1
PC: 1

Madden 2008: 123
360: 46
PS2: 34
PS3: 16
Wii: 8
Xbox: 7
DS: 5
PSP: 5
PC: 2

Assassin's Creed: 38
360: 27 (16 reg, 11 CE)
PS3: 11 (reg)

From now on, these will probably be monthly.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Moor-Angol said:
I wonder why we have to talk about US preorders inside a japanese weekly sales chart...

This is sort of the de facto Sales Age thread.

AniHawk

Moor-Angol said:
I wonder why we have to talk about US preorders inside a japanese weekly sales chart...

I don't feel like it's thread-worthy, and these things are pretty much dead by the weekend anyway.

Like I said, I'll try to do them monthly now... or for as long as they interest me.

I don't mean your posts are not interesting, it's nice to see something about US preorders and have an idea about how much games will sell, i just feel it's a little OT here...

On the other side i know MC threads are : famitsu chart, first shinobi numbers, MC numbers for sw, MC numbers for hw, "oh my god, PS3 is doomed", "will FF13 be ported to Wii?", "someone has first day sale numbers?", waiting for shinobi numbers, famitsu chart and everything starts again....

SE shipment numbers....

- Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings (NDS): 520.000 St.
- Itadaki Street DS (NDS): 280.000 St.
- Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions (PSP): 310.000 St.

Uh, I wonder how is something new like IaWW going to do compared to these titles...

jesusraz

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
SE shipment numbers....
- Itadaki Street DS (NDS): 280.000 St.

Strange, I thought putting Mario and DQ characters in the same game would have been seen to be more popular than that. But hey, the game's on its way to fly past that mark (if it hasn't already), so good to see it beating the initial shipment target.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
AniHawk said:
Guitar Hero III: 160
Wii: 47
360: 44 (43 bundle, 1 game only)
PS2: 38 (21 bundle, 17 game only)
PS3: 31

WHAT???

If that is any indication, the Wii version will be a MONSTER in the charts.

:lol

AniHawk said:
Because you're always right.

No it's because I actually use trends and precedent this time to determine it.

- Magazines generally give out 10s more than websites
- EGM's scores are lower than most magazines (6s and 5.5s compared to 8s and 9s)
- Websites generally are more forgiving in their scores.

Exceptions are aplenty in this case, but that's the general rule. I feel EGM is trying to describe the game as "good", and that falls in their 5.5-7.0 range. Websites are going to give it a bigger score, as is most other magazines.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
LanceStern said:
I feel EGM is trying to describe the game as "good", and that falls in their 5.5-7.0 range.

the text of the reviews didn't really scream "good."

AniHawk

Hcoregamer00 said:
WHAT???

If that is any indication, the Wii version will be a MONSTER in the charts.

:lol

Well if it's any indication, the charts in November will be littered with Guitar Hero SKUs.

Sharp

If the preorder numbers are any indication Madden Wii is going to bomb. Is it okay if we label that number anecdotal, like all these others, or are you going to remain consistent all the way?

AniHawk

Sharp said:
If the preorder numbers are any indication Madden Wii is going to bomb. Is it okay if we label that number anecdotal, like all these others, or are you going to remain consistent all the way?

I'm pretty sure Madden Wii will do just as well as the GC Maddens, maybe a little more. Maybe.

lordmrw

rakka said:
Play Magazine gave it a 9.0

From reading the Play review, you can tell the reviewer wants to give the game a much lower score, but because of the graphics and sound, he skewed it higher. He mentions that the game is a 10 in graphics and sound, but a 2 in playability.

apujanata

lordmrw said:
From reading the Play review, you can tell the reviewer wants to give the game a much lower score, but because of the graphics and sound, he skewed it higher. He mentions that the game is a 10 in graphics and sound, but a 2 in playability.

In other words, the 9 is from a "graphic enthusiast", right ?
Any game that have 2 (TWO) in playability is a game that I will stay miles and miles away from.

Does this game realy deserve the 2 ? Or should it be something like 3 or 4 (still bad, but not as bad as 2).

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Sharp said:

Nah, people just know they'll be able to walk in the day it's launched and easily pick one up.

Jammy

Banned
I'm not sure how representative pre-orders are for Wii games. I'm sure Mario Party 8 and Wii Play didn't get monster reserves, but they're the two best selling console games this year. If Wii owners (and there are MANY) just walk by the store shelves on occasion and see something out there they'll buy it. 360/PS3 owners seem more like they would pre-order games just because of the more geeky, know-it-all gaming stereotype that they have.

Madden last year on Wii sold just as good as its PS3 version did, and it went up against the likes of Zelda: TP, Red Steel, Rayman: RR, and a couple other games that outsold it. The PS3 game, on the other hand, was PS3's second best seller and had less competition.

On Guitar Hero, I've said this before, but the Guitar Hero gameplay and audience goes hand-in-hand with what the Wii is all about. It's also $10 cheaper than the other SKUs.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Pellham said:
good. their original games suck anyway. bring on more DQ, FF, and SaGa plz.

Oh god, it's the people like you that are killing SE.

jimbo

Banned
Speaking of pre-orders, you all know my crazy obession with Amazon.jp top 100 360 game sales. While it can be completely unreliable for most predictions there are some interesting patterns I've noticed while keeping up with some of the bigger 360 releases and a couple of other games. It may just be possible to predict bigger games a couple of months in advance. Don't know but here goes. It's based on the top 10, how long it stayed in there pre-release, post release, first day, first week sales numbers

Eternal Sonata
- Entered and maintained Top 10, 1. 5 months prior to release - first day sales ~30,000.
- post-release Top 10, 1.5 days - 1st week sales ~45, 000 - 2nd week - did not chart
Forza Motorsport 2
-Entered and maintained top 10 - ~2 days prior to release - first day sales - ~ 11k
- post release Top 10 - 0.01 days (dropped off immediately)- 1st week sales ~12k(?)

Dead Rising(post budget price)
- Maintained Top 40 , 3 weeks - charted one week in MC

Oblivion - Entered and maintained top 15, 2.5 months prior to release - first day sales ~35k

There seems to be a pretty solid correlation between the length of time games were in top spots on pre-order(obviously) but also a correlation between how fast they drop out of their top spots post-release and the amount of sales a game racks up between its first day and the end of the week.

Looking at Oblivion , unlike all of those other 360 games, it's currently still maintaining its top 10 status 4 days after its release.

If this theory is to be correct, than I predict Oblivion to have the largest first week since BD.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
sphinx said:
top 25 from what list?

famitsu?
amazon.jp?
some leaked media create info?

SPEAK!

I assume he's talking about Amazon, which is kind of worthless.

pswii60

schuelma said:

Yep, according to amazon.jp Oblivion was beating MNG. But that's because it's difficult to find 360 games in retail stores, so everyone buys them from Amazon, completely skewing the results.

sphinx

the piano man
schuelma said:

strange.

Moor-angol, as a veteran sales-age gaffer, knows amazon.jp is worthless.

Why would he even post it?

jimbo

Banned
pswii60 said:
Yep, according to amazon.jp Oblivion was beating MNG. But that's because it's difficult to find 360 games in retail stores, so everyone buys them from Amazon, completely skewing the results.

Yeah the Amazon deal doesn't work as great for PS3 and Wii because of the largest user base. But because of the 360's tiny user base Amazon probably represents a significant sample of the sales.

For example MNG never actually surpassed Oblivion on Amazon, but it sold much more in reality.

sphinx said:
strange.

Moor-angol, as a veteran sales-age gaffer, knows amazon.jp is worthless.

Why would he even post it?

It's not totally worthless, sometime it's helpfull for understanding how the market is going.
If a title quickly drops day after day, it means sales are going down, the only big difference is about preorders, sometimes we saw many games that never entered in top25 but has some decent sales, on the other hand, sometimes we saw games for long time in the highest places but they sold not so much.

Last week we had Famitsu top100 for first half 2007 and many people was surprised to see some DS games, but if you look at amazon.jp, you will see them constantly in the chart (Kanji Training from IE Institute, TOEIC Test, just to say 2 titles).

So, as i said before, it's not totally worthless and not totally helpfull, you only have to interpret data in the correct way.

@ Jimbo: Oblivion currently is above MnG5, but you know how long time MnG5 has stayed in top25 before launch? Many, many, many weeks.
That's the difference.
Don't focus on positions just considering some days or a few weeks, you must increase the range of weeks to have a better analysis.
Another thing to keep an eye on is used games: after release days, if you see many people selling the game, this means sales will drop cause people are buying 2nd hand copies.

Hope i gave some hints about how to understand in a better way amazon.jp top100 chart :)

sphinx

the piano man
Moor-Angol said:
It's not totally worthless, sometime it's helpfull for understanding how the market is going.
If a title quickly drops day after day, it means sales are going down, the only big difference is about preorders, sometimes we saw many games that never entered in top25 but has some decent sales, on the other hand, sometimes we saw games for long time in the highest places but they sold not so much.

Last week we had Famitsu top100 for first half 2007 and many people was surprised to see some DS games, but if you look at amazon.jp, you will see them constantly in the chart (Kanji Training from IE Institute, TOEIC Test, just to say 2 titles).

So, as i said before, it's not totally worthless and not totally helpfull, you only have to interpret data in the correct way.

o.k

so your point was that demand or enthusiasm for MnG5 is dying down faster than expected?

sphinx said:
o.k

so your point was that demand or enthusiasm for MnG5 is dying down faster than expected?

uhm...

usually amazon.jp is good for preorders, so after release it gets hard to understand how much hype the game has...

but you can find some hints:

take a look at Zelda PH, still in top25, and as we can see, it's still selling very good. of course it dropped after the release, but IIRC it never went down to 20th place.

take a look at Taiko no Tatsujin DS, as Shinobi blog reported, seems like it's sold-out, in fact you can see it in a very high position and if you notice, people who are selling the game put a very high price, typical for hard-to-find games.

MnG5 let me feel a situation like DQ:S, very good sales on first week, but then it dropped day after day down to the chart.

Last theory could be : MnG5 is going to saturation point, we don't have to forget there are only 1mln PS3 sold in Japan, so 300-350k for LTD should be a good result, but it will not probably have long legs as we could have expected.
Minna no Golf is a franchise always had long legs, especially for budget releases, but probably PS2 small userbase will not help sales so much.

Top Bottom