• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 7/23 - 7/29

RaidenZR

Cheesemeister said:
It's a Wonderful World sold about 80,000 units in its first week, only about 40% of the initial shipment, garnering only modest lines. Many shops still have the limited edition hardware bundle. Prices started to drop on Monday.

That is terrible. Wow.

Maybe this'll be a cheap way to score a backup DS?

sphinx

the piano man
Innotech said:
I wonder if perhaps the existence of wii sports, Tiger woods, and Super Swing Golf Pangya on Wii may have had an impact on Minna no golfs sales. a sort of parisitic effect if you will, slowly eating MNG5 from the inside out with sheer dominance.

you may have a point.

but if anything, it's wii sports to blame, not the other 2 titles you mention.

Wii sports is the very title that is defining the japanese home console situation. The wii's fly off the japanese shelves because people want to play wii sports.

The wii is not the success it is because its controller has motion sensing abilites, it's because Wii sports appears on that console...

Amazing. A Killer app, all the way.

AniHawk

Cheesemeister said:
I could've used a more biting, literal translation...

値崩れ [ねくずれ] n. price collapse
:lol

That MUST be used more in the future.

Innotech

Banned
jj984jj said:
Just as I thought, S-E expected much more.

It happens all the time, it means the game bombed or was overshipped.
All they ever do is hype up Final ****ing fantasy. What did you expect?
FF used to mean something, but now its practically a yearly event. I bet Last Remnant is oging to bomb extremely hard as well. I just hope DQS has some good legs.

AniHawk said:
:lol

That MUST be used more in the future.
I think we need a Gif or jpeg that describes a price collapse. Maybe of a largish structure collapsing.

Edit: I was going to say bridge, but it's too soon.

apujanata

I think it is safe to say that Zelda:pH will definitely hit 1 Million. Don't know yet whether it will hit 1.7 Million (and became the best selling Zelda game ever in Japan).

Edit : from 1.5 to 1.7. Thanks Anihawk. I should have consulted my database first.

Innotech

Banned
sphinx said:
you may have a point.

but if anything, it's wii sports to blame, not the other 2 titles you mention.

Wii sports is the very title that is defining the japanese home console situation. The wii's fly off the japanese shelves because people want to play wii sports.

The wii is not the success it is because its controller has motion sensing abilites, it's because Wii sports appears on that console...

Amazing. A Killer app, all the way.
except that the controller is a fundamental and essential part of wii sports.
But I know what you mean.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Innotech said:
All they ever do is hype up Final ****ing fantasy. What did you expect?
FF used to mean something, but now its practically a yearly event. I bet Last Remnant is oging to bomb extremely hard as well. I just hope DQS has some good legs.
Going by the IaWW report, FF and DQ are all that still seem to matter for the most part when it comes to S-E consumers.

AniHawk

apujanata said:
I think it is safe to say that Zelda:pH will definitely hit 1 Million. Don't know yet whether it will hit 1.5 Million (and became the best selling Zelda game ever in Japan).

LoZ sold 1.69m. It was OoT that did 1.46m.

Innotech

Banned
bmf said:
I think we need a Gif or jpeg that describes a price collapse. Maybe of a largish structure collapsing.

that scared the hell out of me, because I live in Louisiana, home to 3 of the longest bridges in the world (#1,3,4 in the list) and I travel a couple of them frequently. If those bridges collapse I go into either Lake Pontchartrain or fall into North americas largest alligator filled swampland.

beef3483

sphinx said:
.- on The Mario Party 8 vs Minna no Golf 5 incident

I had some crazy expectations for Minna no Golf based on 2 things: Vinnk reported that Sony was pushing the game and the bundle REALLY hard. It was the first game on the PS3's existence to receive that kind of treatment and that fact that japanese love their minna no golf.

Japanese had to choose between 2 ways of thinking:

1.- " PS3 is expensive but I love MnG so much, I'd buy the console "
2.- " I love MnG, pity it appears on a console I am not going to buy "

Sadly, the numbers show it was the 2nd sentence the one that reflects the way of thinking in Japan. Yes, the game sold "well" and bundles might sell some units but the fact the MnG5 broke the flawless chain of better 1st week sales with each iteration of the franchise speaks for itself. There is no positive spin to the fact that your " GAME #4" sold like 430k in its first week and your " GAME #5" sells 152k on the same time. Regardless of different consoles, and different userbases.

as for Mario party 8?

MP8's number is exactly the number Mng5 should have reached and viceversa.

To add to this, Wii sports also has a lot of the allure that Mng5 has as well, and it comes on a cheaper console and with motion controls.

bmf said:

pricecollapse.jpg

laserbeam

Banned
Saitou said:
Price collapse? Sheeeeeeeeeiiiiit. 77k is 'price collapsing' bad now?

I weep for the future.

The DS has really skewed whats considered a successful launch. Kinda sad cause its gonna make what used to be stellar for unknown games be classified as crap now

Speevy said:
Are those Hot Shots Golf sales good for the series?

Judge by yourself :

Code:
Game Name:		Sys:	1st Week:	2nd Week:	3rd Week:	LTD:
Minna no Golf 1		PSX  	117.383  	72,430  	57,403  	1,777,895
Minna no Golf 2 	PSX 	273,260 	231,528 			951,931
Minna no Golf 3		PS2 	272,758 	105,189 	74,057 		921,906
Minna no Golf 4		PS2 	475,269 	162,671 	95,988 		1,083,079
Minna no Golf PSP	PSP 	66,079 		31,505 		33,404 		399,257
[b]Minna no Golf 5		PS3 	176,000[/b]

Apparently, relatively good first week compared to some other titles in the series, but depending on whether or not it lasts (which I honestly doubt...) I think it could very well end up being the worst selling game of the series... We will see.

Vinnk

Hey guys. There is another typhoon on it's way to northern Kyushu (where I live). It is expected to hit in a few hours. Thus, I might not be able to (safely) get numbers today. I am at work now. If it holds off a bit I can probably hit a few stores, but it looks unlikely that i will have a full report for tomorrow.

That said, what should I look for this week?

Christopher said:
ew! That's just a bitch slap to Biohazard 5.
I know I know. Just ignore the title if you are a graphix whore. I might even choose the PC version over it, but they can't release this game in Japan on either of those two consoles lolz.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Defuser said:
So SE consumers hate KH and Itadaki Street?
Both of them have FF or DQ attached to them though, and I also mean that this is a recent trend with all the FF and DQ games being announced.

sphinx

the piano man
miguel_c_hammer said:
PS3 the new GameCube confirmed?

after its 1st year and a half, the market enviroment the Gamecube could create for itself was pitiful:

.- strong, proven succesful franchises selling anything between 30% - 50% less JUST because they appeared on that consoles.
.- hardware moved on the range of 5000 to 20000 all year long taking holidays out.
.- Only key specific titles would bring profit and produce decent sale.

Whereas any mediocre PS2 title would reach 150k with ease, it was a miracle on the gamecube.

now... exchange "gamecube" with "PS3" and "PS2" with "Wii" and look if the sentences make sense. Then you'll have the answer to your question.

Evlar

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
They have to bring it to Wii, you know this. Or at least DS.
Oblivion is a good game, and the 360 base is obviously more western-centric than the average Japanese gamer. But I think it's also evidence of just how RPG-starved Japan has been so far this generation.

EDIT: What the... I swear I was replying to a comment on Oblivion.

davepoobond said:
umbrella chronicles not good enough for you?
I'm worried about Umbrella Chronicles. For it to work right there has to be a real sense of immersion, and the bits of impressions I heard from E3 didn't sound so promising in that department.

What I really want is another story for RE4 with Wii controls, but it's a bit late for that. I'm hoping that Wii sales helps prompt the RE5 team to start downscaling textures and levels and models for the Wii, even if it has to be a sidestory because of some technical limitations.

ethelred

jj984jj said:
Going by the IaWW report, FF and DQ are all that still seem to matter for the most part when it comes to S-E consumers.

:(

And there goes any shot of seeing the company's SNES/PSX glory days return.

laserbeam said:
The DS has really skewed whats considered a successful launch. Kinda sad cause its gonna make what used to be stellar for unknown games be classified as crap now

The DS has skewed jack shit. 77k is a weak launch for a big new franchise from Square Enix, and they knew it, which is why they shipped (as in, expected it to sell) much more.

Vagrant Story launched with 159,842; Xenogears launched with 513,525; Kingdom Hearts launched with 411,492. In no way is 77k a success.

Innotech

Banned
Vinnk said:
Hey guys. There is another typhoon on it's way to northern Kyushu (where I live). It is expected to hit in a few hours. Thus, I might not be able to (safely) get numbers today. I am at work now. If it holds off a bit I can probably hit a few stores, but it looks unlikely that i will have a full report for tomorrow.

dont risk your life to monitor some damned game, take shelter

but if you insist: DQS, Wii (low numbers last week for some reason), IAWW bundles, MNG, Oblivion:lol

Defuser

Vinnk said:

Not much really,looking at the list at gamefaqs,not much interesting titles.

The Sphinx said:
Oblivion is a good game, and the 360 base is obviously more western-centric than the average Japanese gamer. But I think it's also evidence of just how RPG-starved Japan has been so far this generation.

EDIT: What the... I swear I was replying to a comment on Oblivion.
rofl what

Vinnk said:

Dewey, just for laughter's sake. And DQS.

Jirotrom

AniHawk said:
There's no earthly way of knowing, which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing -- or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? YES, THE DANGER MUST BE GROWING, FOR THE ROWERS KEEP ON ROWING, AND THEY'RE CERTAINLY NOT SHOWING ANY SIGNS THAT THEY ARE SLOWING!

WOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

6b4mqlk.gif
29f5md3.gif
6b4mqlk.gif
29f5md3.gif
6b4mqlk.gif
29f5md3.gif
6b4mqlk.gif

29f5md3.gif
6b4mqlk.gif
29f5md3.gif
6b4mqlk.gif
29f5md3.gif
6b4mqlk.gif
29f5md3.gif

6b4mqlk.gif
29f5md3.gif
6b4mqlk.gif
29f5md3.gif
6b4mqlk.gif
29f5md3.gif
6b4mqlk.gif

29f5md3.gif
6b4mqlk.gif
29f5md3.gif
6b4mqlk.gif
29f5md3.gif
6b4mqlk.gif
29f5md3.gif

6b4mqlk.gif
29f5md3.gif
6b4mqlk.gif
29f5md3.gif
6b4mqlk.gif
29f5md3.gif
6b4mqlk.gif
good lord:lol :lol :lol

I came into this thread thinking that Golf game would be number one. I'm really surprised actually.

Defuser

jj984jj said:
Both of them have FF or DQ attached to them though, and I also mean that this is a recent trend with all the FF and DQ games being announced.
Then what about Front Mission?

Link316

Banned
Stormbringer said:
Judge by yourself :

Code:
Game Name:		Sys:	1st Week:	2nd Week:	3rd Week:	LTD:
Minna no Golf 1		PSX  	117.383  	72,430  	57,403  	1,777,895
Minna no Golf 2 	PSX 	273,260 	231,528 			951,931
Minna no Golf 3		PS2 	272,758 	105,189 	74,057 		921,906
Minna no Golf 4		PS2 	475,269 	162,671 	95,988 		1,083,079
Minna no Golf PSP	PSP 	66,079 		31,505 		33,404 		399,257
[b]Minna no Golf 5		PS3 	176,000[/b]

Depending on whether or not it lasts (which I honestly doubt...) I think it could very well end up being the worst selling game of the series...

the only thing your data shows is that MNG has very long legs

Top Bottom