• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 7/23 - 7/29

ethelred

LanceStern said:
I have no interest in having a quote - a - thon with you again ethelred. We always seem to be on the opposite side of the argument.

It's such a shame. You could try being right for a change? You might find it refreshing, like a dip in a cool river in the midst of the sweltering summer heat.

LanceStern said:
IAWW is a success to me, it's decent to others, it's good to others, and it's bad to you and others.

Yyyyyyeeeeaaaaah, that's really not how things work. It's a failure compared to previous Square Enix games but more importantly it's a failure in that the market has rejected it; it's bombed to the extent that its price is being slashed to clear out stock and it'll never get a second shipment.

Regardless of how this feels in that tingly place deep down inside your bowels, that does not make it a success.

LanceStern said:
These new franchises from SE that you show me in the chart are on the Playstation; completely different new franchises, on a completely different console with a completely different userbase in a completely different market.

Then I think it'd be best if Square Enix stuck with the PlayStation from now on.

Gaborn

LanceStern said:
It's very strange. They seemed to have increased shipments for DQS, but not for MP8.

Or it could be the Wii's were increased in shipment, but they just didn't sell...

nah

That would seem rather unlikely given all the previous data of constant sell outs EVERYWHERE wouldn't it? :lol

Innotech said:
yeah same here. Lafayette got smacked by hurricane Lili in 2002 and hurricane Katrina (THAT hurricane) battered N.O. (saw the damage again firsthand last weekend. still much of it is destroyed and trying to rebuild). also another tropical disturbance has just passed the antilles/leeward islands in the caribbean and begun its slow trek towards the gulf. Its possible that this might become a strong TS or hurricane so just a heads up.

and to keep this thread relevant does anyone have any idea why the wii numbers seem so low for a big software release week?
Pussies,. When I was growing down in Southeast Asia, I experienced at least 3-4 typhoons each year :p

.dmc

Banned
LanceStern said:
IAWW is awesome, and price drops or not, I feel and see success all over it. I reiterate again: new IP, new market, and it debuts at #4 with 80k sales for its first week. I'm happy, and until SE puts out a press release saying they are disappointed, it's going to make a profit at the same time.

SE spent a lot of money promoting this game + they only sold 40% of their shipment, the limited edition DS's are still sitting in stores + they're already marking down the price of the game. From that point of view, it's a disappointment. Not a bomba, but below expectations all the same.

Sapapayo

Sorry for asking that one more time in a MC thread but, what are the next big titles for wii and ps3 in japan before october ?

ethelred

.dmc said:
SE spent a lot of money promoting this game + they only sold 40% of their shipment, the limited edition DS's are still sitting in stores + they're already marking down the price of the game. From that point of view, it's a disappointment. Not a bomba, but below expectations all the same.

But wait it sold more than "Learning Japanese European History of the World Part 1" and BY GOD you could fill a stadium with eighty THOUSAND FISH there's no way this could be anything but a catatrophic success.

Vinnk

Mike Works said:
was mario party expected to outsell hot shots?

A few months ago, before the sub 10,000 sales numbers for PS3 hit. A lot of people expected it to be a savior for the system and definately hit number one. But as the weeks went on, most people changed their minds.

Still I am sure there are a lot of shocked fanboys out there right now.

ethelred said:
It's such a shame. You could try being right for a change? You might find it refreshing, like a dip in a cool river in the midst of the sweltering summer heat.

Nothing I say will change your mind in a debate, it's like a born agreement to disagree ever since 300k started.

So I acknowledge that comment is just an attempt to start a longer argument. It won't change my mind of the great sales of IAWW. "Below expectation" =/= "Not a success"... at least in sales/profits wise.

Strange how I've switched siides to be saying that quote...

sphinx

the piano man
.dmc said:

I think IAWW sold less than expected because there were too many newly released games competing for people's Yens. Just in the Top 10 we have like 7 new games. something's gotta give.

titiklabingapat said:
Pussies,. When I was growing down in Southeast Asia, I experienced at least 3-4 typhoons each year :p
We need one of those here right now. The rain at least, the winds we can do without.

It's friggin August and not a single one made landfall in the country anywhere.

Olaeh

It's a shame Dewy and GGXX:AC (Wii) didn't make it up there. I can understand GG not making it since it's been out for PS2 for awhile now, but poor Dewy :( Hopefully it will sell better in other regions, though it seems doubtful with the wave of games this holiday.

ethelred said:
But wait it sold more than "Learning Japanese European History of the World Part 1" and BY GOD you could fill a stadium with eighty THOUSAND FISH there's no way this could be anything but a catatrophic success.
IF YOU CAN HEAR ME ETHEL, DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE WORDS THAT ARE COMING OUT OF MY MOUTH

I CAN'T UNDERSTAND YOU WHEN YOU SPEAK SPANISH

I hope IAWW has legs. It'd be nice if Square Enix were happy enough with the sales to start experimenting again. I miss PS1-era Square. Enix are pretty much doing what ever they want.

Lightning

Banned
I actually think that Hot Shots Golf done quite well. It was never going to out sell MP8 but to sell 1/5 of the PS3 userbase is quite impressive, imo.

btw, which numbers are more accurate: Famitzu or Media Create? Because they seem to differ by quite a bit each week. :lol

Saitou

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
IF YOU CAN HEAR ME ETHEL, DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE WORDS THAT ARE COMING OUT OF MY MOUTH

I CAN'T UNDERSTAND YOU WHEN YOU SPEAK SPANISH
Chris_Rock_178772m.jpg

cvxfreak

I hereby banish Lance from any and all future MC threads created by myself!

Sorry Cheesemeister, but you gotta die for a good cause!

apujanata

Lightning said:
I actually think that Hot Shots Golf done quite well. It was never going to out sell MP8 but to sell 1/5 of the PS3 userbase is quite impressive, imo.

btw, which numbers are more accurate: Famitzu or Media Create? Because they seem to differ by quite a bit each week. :lol

Well, I myself predicted that MP8 will sell better than MNG5, but no one are SURE that MNG5 will sell less than MP8. Most believe that it is more probable that MP8 will have better sales than MNG5, but no one is SURE (as in 100% confident) MNG5 will sell less than MP8. Well, maybe only Nintendo fanatics are sure 100%.

The Sphinx said:
Yeah but... Why not?
It's not 300K.
LanceStern said:
It's insane to say 77k in it's first week is bad, but then turn around and say a game like "Japanese World History B Learning" or "Harvest Moon Wii" topping their LTDs at around 50k and whatnot a success. Not to mention backwards.

It's a success. Hands down
*rubs eyes* Whaaaaa?
Vinnk said:
Sadly, I don't think it will. The used copies have started appearing. This game could have been so much bigger..
DQS and IAWW show from both sides how a company can get screwed by misjudging early demand.
PantherLotus said:
Can anybody explain WHY MP8 sold better than 7? I have some ideas.
Other than the obvious that Wii is hot, and it brings something new to the series in waggle? *shrug*

Hcoregamer00 said:
Is taiko drum master good? I am waiting for another good rhythm game after Ouendan 2.

It is! If you play it on PS2 with the drum controller.

Too bad it sux royal ass on DS! Poor music quality, no feeling what-so-evvah and lousy touch controlling. You can play with the buttons as well, like on PSP, but it just doesnt work with Taiko.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
HSG5 was on store shelves on the 27th, right (shipped 26th)? If so, the chart only tracked 2 days of its sales. It'll probably still be in the top 10 next week.

I place a curse on this thread that stops Jimbo from entering and turning it into a STUPID 360 will sell 1m consoles in the next 12yrs in Japan should David Beckham play for than 12mins for LA galaxy on seven occasion in the next Trimesta

Lightning said:

Logic like that or positive thoughts are not allowed in these threads, you will stop this treachery now!

Jirotrom said:
Dewy actually looked really good, and it was a situation in which the dev did try.

New IP
Huge Environments
Fresh Wii Remote Controls
Bump and normal mapping

Konami tried very hard... the first clue being how gorgeous the game looked. When a developer takes the time to make a nice-looking Wii game, you can assume they are TRYING to make it a worthy title.

But that just happens sometimes. Hopefully not a trend

Jirotrom said:
I have no clue as to why [Dewy] bombed

It just didn't ahve the market for it. It was too kidde for the kids, too kiddie for the casual gamers that like their image, too kiddie for the casual gamers that don't care about their image but just weren't interested in that type of game.

It had no-one to sell to. Especially in the week Mario party, Taiko, Gundam, Minna no Golf, Oblivion etc. came out.

Konami trained their young son up for 3 years as a fierce warrior, and sent him out a month later to fight an army of bloodthirsty, flesh-hungry half-wolve half-men monster games.

Jirotrom said:
Dewy actually looked really good, and it was a situation in which the dev did try.

It is really good, and Konami definitely did try. Apart from the stupid idea of releasing it this week, alongside a Gundam game and Mario Party 8 coming out for the same console. Fingers crossed that word-of-mouth might give it a bump, but considering so few have bought it in the first place, that's doubtful.

Massive shame, as it's easily one of the top 3 third-party games on Wii.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
cvxfreak said:
software.gif

01. [WII] Mario Party 8 (Nintendo) - 265,000 / NEW
02. [PS3] Hot Shots Golf 5 (Sony) - 152,000 / NEW
03. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master DS (Bandai-Namco) - 94,000 / NEW
04. [NDS] It's a Wonderful World (Square-Enix) - 77,000 / NEW
05. [WII] Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 (Bandai-Namco) - 46,000 / NEW
06. [PSP] Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (Capcom) - 45,000 / NEW
07. [360] The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Spike) - 40,000 / NEW
08. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) - 37,000 / 668,000
09. [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 14 (Konami) - 34,000 / 187,000
10. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 32,000 / 1,943,000

11. [WII] Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (Square-Enix)

NDS - 14
PS2 - 6
WII - 6
PS3 - 2
PSP - 1
360 - 1

So Minna No Golf either sold 0 copies after its first day or somebody miscounted, either way 150k first day sales is Gundabump style sales, I'll now be suprised if 50k PS3s have shifted (My original expectations), and it'll barely reach 500k LTD, PS3 dommed in 2007, destruction complete.

MP8 selling well on first week, and it'll have some legs (3 weeks of decent sales), best selling MP game too, it'll achieve, Nice to see Oblivion appreciated, and PH hanging on, also, stay up there DQ:s pwease!!

legend166

Yeah, don't know where the huge environments thing came from.

But anyway, it looks like the developers of Dewy tried, but the advertisers did not.

linsivvi

Paws of Fury said:
It is! If you play it on PS2 with the drum controller.

Too bad it sux royal ass on DS! Poor music quality, no feeling what-so-evvah and lousy touch controlling. You can play with the buttons as well, like on PSP, but it just doesnt work with Taiko.

The PS2 drum controller sucks. The arcade is the only way to go. That said, I'd rather use button controls than the PS2 drum controller or the touch screen control.

legend166 said:
Yeah, don't know where the huge environments thing came from.

But anyway, it looks like the developers of Dewy tried, but the advertisers did not.

All the gameplay videogs I see is huge environments with a lot of stuff going onscreen.

Perhaps it's the sheer small size of Dewy that mixes this up for me... my mistake.

And yes it is 6

icecream

Public Health Threat
Hcoregamer00 said:
Damn, why doesn't it happen to games I want to lower in price like Sakura Taisen V?
You can probably find that pretty cheap now, used.

Disappointed at IAWW. Perhaps it was the way S-E marketed it, since I recall it being said they were going through more mainstream channels with their advertisements. No excuses though. If it's something from S-E, it's expected to do very well. Hopefully this will push up the timetable for an English release to supplement sales. :D

Oblivion is surprising, and so is Minna no Golf... in other ways.

laserbeam

Banned
Stop It said:
So Minna No Golf either sold 0 copies after its first day or somebody miscounted, either way 150k first day sales is Gundabump style sales, I'll now be suprised if 50k PS3s have shifted (My original expectations), and it'll barely reach 500k LTD, PS3 dommed in 2007, destruction complete.

MP8 selling well on first week, and it'll have some legs (3 weeks of decent sales), best selling MP game too, it'll achieve, Nice to see Oblivion appreciated, and PH hanging on, also, stay up there DQ:s pwease!!

150K 1st day was Sony fansites being quick to post mistranslated Information. The actual info was some stores were reporting healthy sales at their stores. Fans took it as Stores selling out all across japan.

I still honestly expect the game to reach 600-800K units sold Lifetime. though how fast a sequel comes out could hamper long term sales

linsivvi

sphinx said:
I think IAWW sold less than expected because there were too many newly released games competing for people's Yens. Just in the Top 10 we have like 7 new games. something's gotta give.

Finally a voice of reason. Not everyone are going to be able to afford multiple games on the same week. The top 2 alone ate up 400K+ sales already.

Defuser

AlphaSnake said:
HSG5 was on store shelves on the 27th, right (shipped 26th)? If so, the chart only tracked 2 days of its sales. It'll probably still be in the top 10 next week.
doh,why did I think of that....

Top Bottom