• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 7/23 - 7/29

cvxfreak

Christopher said:
ew! That's just a bitch slap to Biohazard 5.

4uwon49.gif

sphinx

the piano man
cvxfreak said:
And so, I weep at Biohazard 5's eventual Japanese bomba.

I just can't freaking believe it.

It's not just biohazard 5. There are many multimillion seller franchises that I have, honestly, NO idea how the hell are they going to be a success in Japan, by any definition of the word.

Silent hill 5
Devil May cry 4
Final Fantasy XIII
etc...

:( ....

ghstwrld

VultureDude said:
what's the story with Dewy? wasn't it supposed to be advertised as a great new IP? poor reviews? what's the deal?

Konami's incompetence struck, again. It seems they'll never learn.

Anyway, how did square present IWW to the public? I hope it debuted sans FF/DQ because that would be asking for trouble.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
sphinx said:
I just can't freaking believe it.

It's not just biohazard 5. There are many multimillion seller franchises that I have, honestly, NO idea how the hell are they going to be a success in Japan, by any definition of the word.

Silent hill 5
Devil May cry 4
Final Fantasy XIII
etc...

:( ....

And now you see the problem with development costs. But FFXIII: The Crystal Bearers should actually sell quite well. 650k minimum.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Defuser said:
Then what about Front Mission?
FM5 didn't do that well and it was released during the holiday season, and FM1stDS just bombed completely.

TunaLover

PhoenixDark said:
Once the DQ:S shortages end it'll be in the top 5 again.

alt_DQS_boxart.jpg

Sorry guys, actually this boxart was prepared about two months ago, but I was in moderation queue T__T

Disclaimer: The character art isn't mine.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
miguel_c_hammer said:
PS3 the new GameCube confirmed?
In the previous MC thread using the rumored Famitsu numbers, someone mentioned that the hardware bump PS3 got for MNG5 was eerily similar to the bump GC got for Mario Sunshine, which was released almost at the exact point in time 5 years ago. Sunshine also had similar first week sales to MNG5 using those Famitsu numbers.

IAWW is still a great start for me, and only tells me that SE made the dumb mistake Namco and Capcom do so many times and that's overestimate sales of a videogame ala Baten Kaitos, Frame City Killer, PN03 etc.

- IAWW was a brand new IP. No connection to a Final Fantasy World, no connection to a Dragon Quest or Kingdom Heart world.
- IAWW has an artstyle that caters to a mixed American/Japanese consumer market, already a big risk. The graffiti like art and punk rock/emo/Japanese spiky hair character models and environments all pointed to a daring escape to traditional Japanese tastes in graphics.
- IAWW has a dangerous gameplay dynamic that makes it challenging and completely new to the market. SE went with it (I don't know the Famitsu score as to whether it works or not.

All these divergences from what SE knows will sell, and tha game still did 80k units in just one week. Most 3rd party DS titles debut at 50k or less and stop in the 100-200k LTD (this is after droping off the chart and re-emerging later) and IAWW has almost reached that mark in just a week.

80 THOUSAND units. Think about that. When you look at the Qualcomm Stadium or Amphitheatre or Colloseum and fill that up with people TWICE that's 80k that bought the game. Bringing it down to Earth, if you've ever preordered a popular game or system, or packed into a movie theater and said "Wow that's a lot of people". Double that many people, then double it again, and again about 4 times and that's how many people are buying this game.

It's insane to say 77k in it's first week is bad, but then turn around and say a game like "Japanese World History B Learning" or "Harvest Moon Wii" topping their LTDs at around 50k and whatnot a success. Not to mention backwards.

It's a success. Hands down

Jirotrom

LanceStern said:
IAWW is still a great start for me, and only tells me that SE made the dumb mistake Namco and Capcom do so many times and that's overestimate sales of a videogame ala Baten Kaitos, Frame City Killer, PN03 etc.

- IAWW was a brand new IP. No connection to a Final Fantasy World, no connection to a Dragon Quest or Kingdom Heart world.
- IAWW has an artstyle that caters to a mixed American/Japanese consumer market, already a big risk. The graffiti like art and punk rock/emo/Japanese spiky hair character models and environments all pointed to a daring escape to traditional Japanese tastes in graphics.
- IAWW has a dangerous gameplay dynamic that makes it challenging and completely new to the market. SE went with it (I don't know the Famitsu score as to whether it works or not.

All these divergences from what SE knows will sell, and tha game still did 80k units in just one week. Most 3rd party DS titles debut at 50k or less and stop in the 100-200k LTD (this is after droping off the chart and re-emerging later) and IAWW has almost reached that mark in just a week.

80 THOUSAND units. Think about that. When you look at the Qualcomm Stadium or Amphitheatre or Colloseum and fill that up with people TWICE that's 80k that bought the game. Bringing it down to Earth, if you've ever preordered a popular game or system, or packed into a movie theater and said "Wow that's a lot of people". Double that many people, then double it again, and again about 4 times and that's how many people are buying this game.

It's a success.
Well the thing we know is that DS games have legs, If his game is great it will show them.

sphinx

the piano man
PantherLotus said:
And now you see the problem with development costs. But FFXIII: The Crystal Bearers should actually sell quite well. 650k minimum.

I lol'd

and what about Resident Evil 5: African Vodoo Wii Edition?

LanceStern said:

S-E screwed up royally by debuting it in such a crowded week. Pitting a fragile new IP against the likes of Mario Party, MnG, and Gundam was foolish and unnecessary.

miguel_c_hammer said:
S-E screwed up royally by debuting it in such a crowded week. Pitting a fragile new IP against the likes of Mario Party, MnG, and Gundam was foolish and unnecessary.

And the thing is, it would have been the #1 selling game had those titles not been released. A NEW IP selling more than Gundam. A fresh start of gaming debuting at 80k. It didn't get humiliated like Dewy's Adventure, it stood its ground and sold well

Jirotrom said:
Well the thing we know is that DS games have legs, If his game is great it will show them.

Until then, 80k gets them $3 million in sales (you still have to take into account royalties, packaging, marketing etc.) But by the second/third week when it's done over 140k in LTD and more, it'll have made a profit by then.

And everyone in the MC threads say profit = success. I have the quotes

jj984jj

Jirotrom said:
Well at this point legs won't make up for everything since prices have already started to drop.

apujanata

bmf said:
I'm personally hoping for Biohazard 5 Gaiden on the Wii.

Me too. In RE4 style, please. Don't mess around with the perfect controller setup. Well, maybe the rifle could be changed a little bit.

And please, not on the DS. Wii is the perfect Platform for RE5 Gaiden.

CVXFREAK,
What do you think RE5 1st week will be ? Since RE4 only managed to achieve 234K 1st week on PS2 and 145K 1st week on GCN, I am more inclined with 145K something figure.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
TunaLover said:
alt_DQS_boxart.jpg

Sorry guys, actually this boxart was prepared about two months ago, but I was in moderation queue T__T

Disclaimer: The character art isn't mine.

I would buy for the box alone if they use that :lol

ethelred

The Sphinx said:
Yeah but... Why not? If it was a new DS IP from any other developer... even Nintendo... 77k would be acceptable. Look at Ouendan and Ouendan 2.

The fact that it's on the DS doesn't matter. And it's not a new IP from any other developer. It's a new IP from Square Enix and its success (or lack thereof) must be measured against their other new IPs.

So for comparison:

Code:
Xenogears		PSX	513,525
Kingdom Hearts		PS2	411,492
Valkyrie Profile	PSX	311,630
Ehrgeiz			PSX	166,759
Vagrant Story 		PSX	159,842
Dew Prism  		PSX  	56,319 
Bahamut Lagoon 		SFC	39,318

Slotting Subarashiki in there at 77k does not make this a big success. It's a flop as a new franchise.

LanceStern said:
IAWW is still a great start for me

Then I guess it's too bad for us that you're not the one spotting the millions of dollars necessary to fund new game development.

LanceStern said:
...and only tells me that SE made the dumb mistake Namco and Capcom do so many times and that's overestimate sales of a videogame ala Baten Kaitos, Frame City Killer, PN03 etc.

All of those games were failures. (Also: Frame City Killer? WTF?) These companies aren't making "dumb mistakes," they're trying to sell what they need to sell. In this case, that threshold was not met.

LanceStern said:

Same with the other games I listed.

LanceStern said:

Shibuya is modeled after an American consumer market?

LanceStern said:

That's kinda the way new franchises work.

LanceStern said:
All these divergences from what SE knows will sell, and tha game still did 80k units in just one week.

Yes, and in this case, that is not a success.

LanceStern said:
Most 3rd party DS titles debut at 50k or less and stop in the 100-200k LTD (this is after droping off the chart and re-emerging later) and IAWW has almost reached that mark in just a week.

Compare it against actual relevant historical comparisons (prior new Square franchises), not random DS games.

LanceStern said:

Okay, lay down the crack pipe, my friend.

LanceStern said:
It's a success. Hands down

Price collapse.

Link316 said:
the only thing your data shows is that MNG has very long legs

I think this start is kind of good in absolute, even if clearly inferior to the last main entry numbers, but for a reason I'm not that confident that it will have the same kind of legs as the other titles in the series, especially given the performance of the top PS3 software until now. Is the PS3 able to sustain these numbers ? Even though I'm guessing that the hardware will quickly drop off, if the userbase buys it in mass for a long period, I guess it could, possibly. But I doubt it. And still, even if it has a particularly high attach ratio thanks to some kind of legs, it's probable that the relatively tiny and very slowly growing PS3 userbase would keep him from reaching the usual sales of the series. You could still be happy with that result, but in the end, it's all about lowered expectations, I guess.

Vinnk

PhoenixDark said:
Once the DQ:S shortages end it'll be in the top 5 again.

Sadly, I don't think it will. The used copies have started appearing. This game could have been so much bigger..

apujanata

Link316 said:
the only thing your data shows is that MNG has very long legs

It will be a miracle (sort of) if MNG5 LTD is 4 x First week sales, or 680K. The more likely scenario is between 340K - 500K.

sphinx

the piano man
apujanata said:
It will be a miracle (sort of) if MNG5 LTD is 4 x First week sales, or 680K. The more likely scenario is between 340K - 500K.

if other PS3 titles are any indication, MnG5 will sell around 250k when everything's said and done....

ethelred said:
The fact that it's on the DS doesn't matter. And it's not a new IP from any other developer. It's a new IP from Square Enix and its success (or lack thereof) must be measured against their other new IPs.

So for comparison:

Code:
Xenogears		PSX	513,525
Kingdom Hearts		PS2	411,492
Valkyrie Profile	PSX	311,630
Ehrgeiz			PSX	166,759
Vagrant Story 		PSX	159,842
Dew Prism  		PSX  	56,319 
Bahamut Lagoon 		SFC	39,318

Slotting Subarashiki in there at 77k does not make this a big success. It's a flop as a new franchise.

All of those games were failures. (Also: Frame City Killer? WTF?) These companies aren't making "dumb mistakes," they're trying to sell what they need to sell. In this case, that threshold was not met.

Well what about Onimusha? Resident Evil 0? Devil May Cry 2? Selling over 1 million worldwide and yet it was deemed disappointing?

Yes, and in this case, that is not a success. Compare it against actual relevant historical comparisons (prior new Square franchises), not random DS games.

Subjective. Was it supposed to hit some sort of "sales benchmark" to make it a success from other random franchises? Are we taking into account the shift from traditional gaming and RPGs that Japan was so gungho on when PSX came out that is now almost irrelevant in the face of casual gaming?

Are we taking into account still that most 3rd party DS games, whether it's a recognized PUBLISHER or not, debut 50k and go slower? It's still apt to compare IAWW to DS titles like such.

Are we taking into account that gaming was still "new" back then and consumers were jumping for new IPs and gaming styles (in the traditional sense) whereas now if it's not a recognized Gaming Franchise or hyped to death so that everyone and their grandma knows about it, the majority won't buy it? The market is different.

I don't care whether it's from Square Enix or not, it's a new IP released in Japan, it sold well for it's first week because no-one even knew what it was. And correction for myself, it would be at #2, Taiko would be #1 which also sold amazingly nice.

ethelred

LanceStern said:
Well what about Onimusha? Resident Evil 0? Devil May Cry 2? Selling over 1 million worldwide and yet it was deemed disappointing?

These butress your argument... how? If Subarashiki's price is being cut already, that's as clear a sign as there can be that it is a sales failure.

LanceStern said:
Subjective. Was it supposed to hit some sort of "sales benchmark" to make it a success from other random franchises?

Yes. It was supposed to hit the sales benchmarks Square Enix set for it, which were established by way of what the company needed it to sell (to consider it a worthwhile venture), to match previous experiments / new franchise establishments, etc.

LanceStern said:
Are we taking into account still that most 3rd party DS games, whether it's a recognized PUBLISHER or not, debut 50k and go slower? It's still apt to compare IAWW to DS titles like such.

No it's not.

LanceStern said:
Are we taking into account that gaming was still "new" back then and consumers were jumping for new IPs...

Gaming was new in 1999 when Valkyrie Profile came out? New when Xenogears and Kingdom Hearts came out? Wow.

LanceStern said:
...whereas now if it's not a recognized Gaming Franchise or hyped to death so that everyone and their grandma knows about it, the majority won't buy it? The market is different.

Which is exactly the point. The market is different in that it has utterly rejected a new high profile Square Enix franchise; Square Enix is different in that it will take this to heart and curl further into its insular Dragon Quest + Final Fantasy shell.

Arguing that traditional Japanese gamers are only interested in established franchises as if that somehow mitigates Subarashiki's failure to sell is baffling. I wonder sometimes if you think through the words you type.

LanceStern said:
I don't care whether it's from Square Enix or not, it's a new IP released in Japan, it sold well for it's first week because no-one even knew what it was.

It's been heavily advertised and promoted. It didn't just come out of nowhere. Kill the historical revisionism.

Innotech

Banned
The Sphinx said:
My town got smacked around by a hurricane a couple years ago. Be safe.
yeah same here. Lafayette got smacked by hurricane Lili in 2002 and hurricane Katrina (THAT hurricane) battered N.O. (saw the damage again firsthand last weekend. still much of it is destroyed and trying to rebuild). also another tropical disturbance has just passed the antilles/leeward islands in the caribbean and begun its slow trek towards the gulf. Its possible that this might become a strong TS or hurricane so just a heads up.

and to keep this thread relevant does anyone have any idea why the wii numbers seem so low for a big software release week?

apujanata

Vinnk said:
Crap! Ok guys. No Vinnk's Village this week.

I hope I don't mean that literally.

Well, you can still do it later, after the Storm abated, like probably Saturday or Sunday ?

Remember Vinnk, safety first. It is ok to keep us waiting for next week's Vinnks Village.

Is it only Kyushu area that has a lot of typhoon, or are all of Japan have lots of typhoon ? Which has more typhoon, Kanto or Kansai ?

PantherLotus said:
Can anybody explain WHY MP8 sold better than 7? I have some ideas.
I think the primary reason is because it is released on the best selling console. The second reason is probably because it is more fun when doing a party (multiplayer) with lots of activities, shaking, twirling etc, compared to just button pushing ?

ethelred said:
Square Enix is different in that it will take this to heart and curl further into its insular Dragon Quest + Final Fantasy shell.

If SE did that, it will be left behind (got smaller).

I have no interest in having a quote - a - thon with you again ethelred. We always seem to be on the opposite side of the argument.

IAWW is a success to me, it's decent to others, it's good to others, and it's bad to you and others.

To ignore the history of 3rd party DS titles, especially new IPs, no matter who they come from is dangerous, especially from someone who is ALWAYS telling me to look at every sales precedent before commenting on whether a title is a success or not.

These new franchises from SE that you show me in the chart are on the Playstation; completely different new franchises, on a completely different console with a completely different userbase in a completely different market. Notably, a great deal of them are RPGs, about the only surefire popular thing in Japan at the time.

IAWW is awesome, and price drops or not, I feel and see success all over it. I reiterate again: new IP, new market, and it debuts at #4 with 80k sales for its first week. I'm happy, and until SE puts out a press release saying they are disappointed, it's going to make a profit at the same time.

jj984jj

PantherLotus said:
Can anybody explain WHY MP8 sold better than 7? I have some ideas.
Higher shipments.

Segata Sanshiro said:
THIS WHOLE THREAD IS TOPSY TURVY

WHY DOES ETHEL KEEP CALLING IT'S A WONDERFUL WORLD SOMETHING IN SPANISH

HE KNOWS I DON'T SPEAK SPANISH
:lol

Innotech said:
and to keep this thread relevant does anyone have any idea why the wii numbers seem so low for a big software release week?

It's very strange. They seemed to have increased shipments for DQS, but not for MP8.

Or it could be the Wii's were increased in shipment, but they just didn't sell...

nah

Top Bottom