• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/9 - 7/15

gconsole

CVXFREAK

How do you estimate the sale number of Biohazard 5 in japan (both consoles) ?

I always dream of the revival of this serie in japan since Biohazard remake (I know it's on GC). But even Biohazard 4 can't help it. The game sale around 650k at most. Is there any chance that Biohazard will become million seller overthere again ? Where does 2 million people who bought Biohazard 2 gone ? Half of them just disappeared when Biohazard 3 release and again half of the remain disappeared after Code veronica released and now it's like the serie fanbase is 4 times smaller.

ethelred said:
I don't agree at all. The Final Fantasy franchise is nothing like the DQ franchise -- the only thing these two games have in common is that they're on Nintendo systems. Big whoop.

But it's a moot point anyway since DQS is still much higher.

I think you're just mad because their sales pattern are remarkably similar.

I won't go into detail at what the similarity is.

AniHawk

Cygnus X-1 said:
I hust hope it passes the million and I'll happy. At least this game has confirmed that the Zelda's series will not die. I was seriously worried after Twilight Princess.

I don't think it would, just because it's insanely popular in the west. I'm glad that it apparently gave them a fresh look at the series again. I'm excited to try it out, and hopefully going in with a different mindset towards the next Wii Zelda makes that just as memorable.

Cygnus X-1

Terrell said:
No, not supply constrained, I just think a lot of Japanese people had more important things to be concerned about, considering a major chunk of their population doesn't have a home right now due to massive flooding.

Yeah and don't forget that the biggest atomic plant of the earth is closed right now for SERIOUS radioactive and security problems. I've seen the video report and the surface of that place is now not flat anymore. Wow at the power of the planet.

cvxfreak

gconsole said:
CVXFREAK

How do you estimate the sale number of Biohazard 5 in japan (both consoles) ?

I always dream of the revival of this serie in japan since Biohazard remake (I know it's on GC). But even Biohazard 4 can't help it. The game sale around 650k at most. Is there any chance that Biohazard will become million seller overthere again ? Where does 2 million people who bought Biohazard 2 gone ? Half of them just disappeared when Biohazard 3 release and again half of the remain disappeared after Code veronica released and now it's like the serie fanbase is 4 times smaller.

I dunno myself.

It's possible Biohazard 5 can still sell over 400K on PS3... but it's going to be a rough ride. Unlike something like Mario, Pokemon or DQ, while there is a hardcore fanbase, the series did stay the same long enough for some people to stop coming back after awhile. Naturally all series have peaks, so I'm not surprised the drop off happened after RE2. RE depends on consoles more than consoles depend on it, I say.

ethelred

LanceStern said:
I think you're just mad because their sales pattern are remarkably similar.

I won't go into detail at what the similarity is.

First, I'm not mad. Second, I've already said my reasons for discounting Crystal Chronicles' relevance (and Deku has restated them, if I wasn't clear). So I have no idea what you're going on about, but you're still really fucking creepy.

Phantom Hourglass confirmed to break 1 million sales by year's end. Fricking awesome. Come on Aonuma - figure out how you guys captured the greatness of classic Zelda on portables with Phantom Hourglass now on consoles. Zelda revival in Japan complete.

BTW, according to Bill Trinen at NOA, the "demo kiosks" in Japan had a huge part in convincing the Japanese public Phantom Hourglass was the real deal. Until they were revealed, public opinion and awareness was not to NCL's liking. After the demo's, response went through the roof they said.

Thoren

Banned
ZealousD said:
Just like there's a niche hardcore JRPG fanbase here in America, I'm pretty sure there's a niche hardcore "shootan games" fanbase in Japan.

we're not that niche dude

you want niche? look up american shmup fanboys

which I am too

AniHawk

TSA said:
Phantom Hourglass confirmed to break 1 million sales by year's end. Fricking awesome. Come on Aonuma - figure out how you guys captured the greatness of classic Zelda on portables with Phantom Hourglass now on consoles. Zelda revival in Japan complete.

BTW, according to Bill Trinen at NOA, the "demo kiosks" in Japan had a huge part in convincing the Japanese public Phantom Hourglass was the real deal. Until they were revealed, public opinion and awareness was not to NCL's liking. After the demo's, response went through the roof they said.

Maybe this will finally convince them that demos are actually beneficial. Wii Ware, perhaps?

Good point. Nintendo went to great lengths to give demos of Twilight Princess and Wii Sports in North America via Wii Ambassador parties, the NOA Playtest Session for Media, and the Fusion Tour.

What did Japan do? They did do Nintendo World, but it was not near enough marketing and public appearance. You know, I think if Nintendo spent some effort in Japan hyping Twilight Princess better, it would have sold much better there. They went bananas marketing Zelda games up till Majora's Mask - those commercials were isnane in Japan, and there was a ton of public awareness.

Then it seemed like Nintendo stopped caring about Zelda in Japan. I think the issue goes right back to The Wind Waker (seriously Nintendo, you will never, ever live down the ****storm you caused with the way you handled the revelation of that game). They (Nintendo) had to focus so much on convincing the WEST that The Wind Waker and cel-shading was "right" for Zelda that they stopped caring about Japan. As such, The Wind Waker, Four Swords Adventures, The Minish Cap and Twilight Princess all didn't do as well as hoped in Japan. There was no excuse for The Minish Cap's poor sales in Japan - they just neglected that game over there.

Seriously...between pissing off the fan base with The Wind Waker, to confusing the hell out of everyone with their intentions with the series in Four Swords Adventures (connectivity costs what?!?!), to letting CAPCOM handle their first true GBA title (it was great, but it still got associated with negative vibes)...the Zelda era from 2002 until 2006 wasn't exactly the best of times. The delay of Twilight Princess was the final nail in the coffin - no matter what Nintendo did, that game was going to underperform. The whole "release on two systems" nonsense was also another blunder.

Hopefully with Phantom Hourglass, it will do well in North America and Europe (in fact, screw IGN's Buy Zack and Wiki campaign, I'm going to start the "buy Phantom Hourglass" campaign to save the Zelda series), and with the experience developing the game...Aonuma and company can go into Wii Zelda with a fresh outlook.

Funny how things work out. Cel shading "killed" Zelda. Then it saves it. Though I guess it's more "touch screen" Zelda saved Zelda.

TSA said:

PLZ copy Microsoft and release demos for Wii and DS games via Wiiware, Nintendo!

Shahadan

At least this game has confirmed that the Zelda's series will not die. I was seriously worried after Twilight Princess.

Not a chance. Zelda is ppopular in occident, anyway. It won't die. Metroid, on the other hand....

neo2046

Gpara (Media Create) has made a mistake, and now it has been fixed
http://www.gpara.com/ranking/mediacreatebn/ranking_20070719.php
http://www.inside-games.jp/news/221/22134.html

ドラゴンクエストソード 仮面の女王と鏡の塔
販売本数:305,000 累計本数:305,000

[before] 01. [WII] Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (Square-Enix) - 263,000 / 263,000
[n o w] 01. [WII] Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (Square-Enix) - 305,000 / 305,000

neo2046 said:
Gpara (Media Create) has made a mistake, and now it has been fixed
http://www.gpara.com/ranking/mediacreatebn/ranking_20070719.php
http://www.inside-games.jp/news/221/22134.html

[before] 01. [WII] Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (Square-Enix) - 263,000 / 263,000
[n o w] 01. [WII] Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (Square-Enix) - 305,000 / 305,000
Thank you, holy one.

We can all finally celebrate with LanceStern without any hesitation.

milanbaros

Member?
I'd love it if MC did a system by system top 10 as well as a top 50. The PS3 and 360 top tens would be an endless source of humour.

Someone needs to dig up the thread from a year ago when i predicted Japan was in the bag after the first showing of the waggle wand. I know whiteman was pissing his pants laughing at me.

Whose laughing now whiteman?

Verve

nice to have a surprise in MC threads these days, even if it's 'just' an error correction ^^

great for DQS!

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
LanceStern said:
I'd have to agree with lightning that RE5 would not be helpful if they released it on Wii or not.

First off it'd get a bad rep on the PS3 and 360, already losing Capcom money. Then they'd spend more money to find a way to get it on the Wii, which would not sell that well and there goes more money...

It's bad business imo.

And with these MC sales numbers for DQSwords, my prediction is not to far off :D
Although I don't know if I should be smiling about that ...

You mean like the bad rep they got when they announced RE4 for PS2 3 months before the GC version hit after promising exclusivity? right.... also, saying it wouldn't sell well on Wii is a total fallacy, you really are a self hating Nintendo fan.

Also, ref DQ:S What are you on about? you predicted less than 120k for the first week, so you are under half what actually happened, don't make me requote you, bah, I will anyway.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6984798&postcount=1

LanceStern said:
First week: 108 - 120k
Second Week: 45-60k
First Month: 185 - 200k
LTD 2007: 280 - 300k
One Year: 350k < DQS LTD < 400k ]

In fact, it has sold in one week at close to what you said it would sell in 2007, how the hell is that "close"?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
he is way off even in the first week, what's he so proud about?

edit: talking about LanceStern.

Frillen

Stop It said:
You mean like the bad rep they got when they announced RE4 for PS2 3 months before the GC version hit after promising exclusivity? right.... also, saying it wouldn't sell well on Wii is a total fallacy, you really are a self hating Nintendo fan.

Also, ref DQ:S What are you on about? you predicted less than 120k for the first week, so you are under half what actually happened, don't make me requote you, bah, I will anyway.

In fact, it has sold in one week at close to what you said it would sell in 2007, how the hell is that "close"?

:lol

It sold more the first week than he predicted it would sell the whole of 2007.

MaddenNFL64

Stop It said:

I've been watching a ton of Evangelion lately, so I just want to say that Lance Stern = Shinji Ikari, without the giant robot.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Heh, I just wanted to call him (LanceStern) out for trumpeting his totally non-accurate sales forecast, just like he tried with FFIII, anyway, did DQ:S just get corrected? 305.000? Megaton!

DQ:S first week > ALL other games before it (Even Wii sports), amazing stuff!

Edit: Lol at that "debate" about BH, never thought I would see that happen.

Cygnus X-1

titiklabingapat said:
So, whats the deal with Mr. Cheesy? Is he human after all?

We are all weak, limited and mortal humans.

What is the only true justice on this earth ? We have all to die, sooner or later.

USD

titiklabingapat said:
So, whats the deal with Mr. Cheesy and no updates yet? Is he human after all?
He's not on the internets? You don't say? Goodness gracious whatever shall we do? Sound the alarm! Call Scotland Yard!

USD said:
He's not on the internets? You don't say? Goodness gracious whatever shall we do? Sound the alarm! Call Scotland Yard!
Yeah, I demand that my unpaid updates and uncompensated effort be on time and up to the minute.

I want to have Cheesy's children some day, sigh.

test_account

XP-39C²
Damn, thats quite a bit of a difference between Famitsu and MC, atleast on Dragon Quest Sword and Super Robot Wars. SRW was on 8th or something in Famitsu, on MC its 14th.

linsivvi

Check the comments on page 1, then check the comments on the last page. What a difference 42000 copies make...

Seriously, there are going to be people who want this game but cannot find a Wii in stores.

Top Bottom