• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 9/25 - 10/1

I like how Square2005, a member known to spew out shitty and unprecise sales estimates, is telling someone else their numbers are fake.

We all know the deal with ioi's numbers, and he's doing a good job even though they aren't, as he said, 100% "real".

Deku

Banned
ioi said:
God you're at it in two threads at once!!

They're "fake"??

:lol

As opposed to what, "real"?

They are educated estimated based off the famitsu top 30s of the time, sales of titles such as Mario Land / Tetris (which sold almost 1:1 to start with) and fitting in with shipment data and other snippets of sales info in the 350 famitsu magazines i have sitting on my desk.

They are never going to be 100% fact, but they are as good as we have. They also have some nice US graphs in these magazines, as well as other random sales news and comparisons.

forensic analysis of sales data. I think that's a brand new field!

FoxHimself said:
I like how Square2005, a member known to spew out shitty and unprecise sales estimates, are telling someone else their numbers are fake.

We all know the deal with ioi's numbers, and he's doing a good job even though they aren't, as he said, 100% "real".

What are you talking about those classic sales threads are based on the NPD revised figures from awhile back, they're as accurate as we can get...do you want to know what was selling back then or not?

If you're refering to my early estiamted comgnet predictions, I never said they were fact; everyone knows they're estimates. They come from the day after the last day of the Japanese week so they can't be too accurate...more time's needed (like three days) to be more precise ala m-c.

At least I say when I'm posting estimates...

saz said:

wow this guy cracks me up everytime!

What's funny!?
Don't you know English spelling rules?
I'm just applying them to Japanese so the pronunciation remains correct.
It's not pronounced 'famitsus' < w/ch makes it look like Latin.

Square2005 said:
What's funny!?
Don't you know English spelling rules?
I'm just applying them to Japanese so the pronunciation remains correct.
It's not pronounced 'famitsus' < w/ch makes it look like Latin.

How the hell do you call yourself a linguist?
Honestly, do you have a degree in it or something?
The spelling of a word is simply determined by how people naturally spell it.
That's it. The idea that the spelling of words comes about institutionally is an archaic one, and is used only in France and by people with their heads stuck up their ass.
In this case, the plural would most likely be Famitsus.
Lets look at an actual word that had something similar happen to it.
The word "Joseki" came from Japan and it refers to a sreies of plies in a game which individually benefit the players as much as possible.
It has been pluralized as Josekies and Joseki, however, one form is dominant and that would be the "josekis" spelling. Thats just how people naturally spell it, so thats what its spelling is.

The parallelism between this comic and this situation should be clear.
http://www.explosm.net/comics/664/
And this should also apply to your use of bin instead of been.

Earthstrike said:
How the hell do you call yourself a linguist?
Honestly, do you have a degree in it or something?
The spelling of a word is simply determined by how people naturally spell it.
That's it. The idea that the spelling of words comes about institutionally is an archaic one, and is used only in France and by people with their heads stuck up their ass.
In this case, the plural would most likely be Famitsus.
Lets look at an actual word that had something similar happen to it.
The word "Joseki" came from Japan and it refers to a sreies of plies in a game which individually benefit the players as much as possible.
It has been pluralized as Josekies and Joseki, however, one form is dominant and that would be the "josekis" spelling. Thats just how people naturally spell it, so thats what its spelling is.

The parallelism between this comic and this situation should be clear.
http://www.explosm.net/comics/664/
And this should also apply to your use of bin instead of been.

Anyone (English-speaking) seeing the word famitsus for the first time is not going to correctly pronounce it much less know it's plural so what's wrong w/ applying modern English spelling rules to a foreign word? Japanese doesn't have plural so then we should not even add -s!
Do you think foreign words that hav retained they're pronounciation when added to English should keep their original spelling even if it conflicts w/ English spelling? Why add to more confusion when one can help it? Are you not aware of the unusual chaos w/n English spelling b/c of (for the most part) foreign words? Outside of (Modern) English when foreign words are adopted to a language the spelling is changed to reflect that language's spelling rules to not confuse the reader (this was allowed in some Early Modern Englsih, Middle English & Old English).

Scalemail Ted said:
While we're on the subject, Whats the plural of wii? (-_-?)
Wiii. The real question is what you call a group of Wiii. Is it an overdose like Elvii, a murder like crows, a flock like sheep, or even a peck like peppers? I may in fact be one of those questions that has no answers.

Wiii is pronounced we-eye.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
How the **** do you figure Diamond/Pearl sold 1.6 million when Media Create is reporting 1.8 million, ioi? I thought you always ****ed with the numbers in a positive direction, not the other way around. I know you're trying to make a credible site, but it just isn't.

edit: nevermind, i misread the media create totals.

cvxfreak

duderon said:
How the **** do you figure Diamond/Pearl sold 1.6 million when Media Create is reporting 1.8 million, ioi? I thought you always ****ed with the numbers in a positive direction, not the other way around. I know you're trying to make a credible site, but it just isn't.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duderon said:

dude, clam down

Deku

Banned
Let's not turn this into a literary debate. I absolutely despise people who use the English language to get away with sloppy argumentation.

I think Square's problem with ioi was already stated in his original post and this argument over the plural form of famitsu is a sideshow that's best left elsewhere, perhaps an IM debate.

Square2005 said:
Do you think foreign words that hav retained they're pronounciation when added to English should keep their original spelling even if it conflicts w/ English spelling?

This sentence in the middle of a spelling/grammar debate is pure gold.

cvxfreak

Square2005 said:
Anyone (English-speaking) seeing the word famitsus for the first time is not going to correctly pronounce it much less know it's plural so what's wrong w/ applying modern English spelling rules to a foreign word? Japanese doesn't have plural so then we should not even add -s!

Anyone seeing the word "bologna isn't going to pronounce it right the first time either. :p

Square2005 said:
Firstly, you forgot that Famitsu is capitalized, which would let the reader know that the noun is the title of something. Secondly, the reader will almost always deduce the plurality of the word given its use in a sentence. Thirdly, the word would be considered jargon, meaning anyone who encounters it would probably see it with so much context that its meaning can easily be found.

SQUARE2005 said:
Do you think foreign words that hav retained they're pronounciation when added to English should keep their original spelling even if it conflicts w/ English spelling?
Every word that comes into the english language is already spelt in english letters and is therefore already in english. What we are debating is the rules by which this word should be syntactically altered to form its paradigm.

SQUARE2005 said:
Why add to more confusion when one can help it? Are you not aware of the unusual chaos w/n English spelling b/c of (for the most part) foreign words? Outside of (Modern) English when foreign words are adopted to a language the spelling is changed to reflect that language's spelling rules to not confuse the reader (this was allowed in some Early Modern Englsih, Middle English & Old English).

That's what has held other languages back and made English so widespread and great.

Scalemail Ted said:
While we're on the subject, Whats the plural of wii? (-_-?)

Wiis
X-Box 360s, Which is equivalent to X-Box Three-Sixties
PS3s

The reason PS3s and X-Box 360s look so weird right now (which they should) is because we've never seen a pluralization marker attached ot a number before. However, as the need to refer to more than one PS3 or 360 arises, we will see these intuitive choices come up more and more.

e.g

I've gone through three launch PS3s. **** YOU SONY!!!!

1,231 360s sold this week. MOMENTUM!!

P.S Did you see what I did there?

AniHawk

Earthstrike said:
Wiis
X-Box 360s, Which is equivalent to X-Box Three-Sixties
PS3s

The reason PS3s and X-Box 360s look so weird right now (which they should) is because we've never seen a pluralization marker attached ot a number before.

PS2s. PSOnes

AniHawk said:
PS2s. PSOnes

My bad. I really had the intention of letting people know that I felt the internet would generate a linguistic phenomenon that would cause numbers to become integrated into words and undergo syntactic inflections just as their written counterparts would.

AniHawk

Earthstrike said:
My bad. I really had the intention of letting people know that I felt the internet would generate a linguistic phenomenon that would cause numbers to become integrated into words and undergo syntactic inflections just as their written counterparts would.

Yes.

cvxfreak

JoshuaJSlone said:
Well, not quite. This has been a common mistake for... 6 years now. Not X-Box, not XBox, but Xbox.

I should change Pokemon Diamond to Pocket Monsters Diamond, or use the special e letter instead. :p

GreenGlowingGoo said:
but I'd also think nintendo and stores would rather sell as many as they could as soon as they could. Demand is demand.

Not necessarily. Massaging what week hardware units are sold in should, theoretically, affect software sales and potentially tap mercurial consumers. There are some people who wouldn't bother to buy a DSL at any time except Christmas -- a high holiday supply helps you snag these people; meanwhile, you'll see more copies of key software titles move if you can sell them to people who come in to buy a DSL just to play them on in addition to the existing installed base.

EDIT: What the hell am I doing talking about game sales when there's a pointless linguistic debate going on? COUNT ME IN BOYS

EDIT EDIT: Seriously, "famitsues"? :lol

Bo130

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
First day sales
PS2 Dragon Ball Z Sparking! NEO - 175.000 (63%)
PSP Gundam Battle Royale - 31.000 (44%)
360 Tenchu Senran - 5.000 (63%)
360 Tomb Raider: Legend - 2.300 (37%)

DBZSNeo starts slower than the first one (220.000 first day), so maybe it won't reach 500k.

From GameFront:

Japanische Software-Trends-Charts

10.10.06 - Hier sind erste Software-Trend-Charts für Japan, die sich auf den 02.10.06 bis 08.10.06 beziehen. Exakte Verkaufszahlen folgen in den nächsten Tagen.

1. Dragon Ball Z: Sparking! NEO (PS2, Bandai Namco)
2. Pokemon Diamond (NDS, Nintendo)
3. Pokemon Pearl (NDS, Nintendo)
4. Everybody's Tennis (PS2, Sony)
5. Gundam Battle Royale (PSP, Bandai Namco)
6. Zaidan Houjin Nippon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kyoukai Kounin: KanKen DS (NDS, Rocket Company)
7. Final Fantasy III (NDS, Square Enix)
8. San Goku Shi XI (PS2, Koei)
9. .hack//G.U. Vol. 2: Kimi Omou Koe (PS2, Bandai Namco)
10. New Super Mario Bros. (NDS, Nintendo)

I guess DBZ did about 300.000 - which means I'd expected Pokémon a lot higher on its 2nd week :( I kinda hope it's a shortage.

Kroole

Bo130 said:
I guess DBZ did about 300.000 - which means I'd expected Pokémon a lot higher on its 2nd week :( I kinda hope it's a shortage.

Amazon seems to have both versions on backorder.

ziran

Bo130 said:
From GameFront:

well, from all reports japan is still in the midst of a ds shortage so the fact you can't go into a store and just buy one will limit all ds sw sales to an extent.

seeing the legs a ff remake continues to have i expect pokémon is going to perform well over the coming weeks and will have a decent boost over dec/jan.

edit - i assumed these were famitsu's top 10 but they're software trend charts, so it will be interesting to see how close they are to media create's (and famitsu's).

That's really quite interesting. Gundam Battle Royale should do alright, say 200k-ish; although I'm guessing it'll drop off after 3 weeks. NEO should crack 500k. Minna no Tennis will do well, maybe 600k. FFIII should chug past a million. POKEMANS will be in the top 10 for the next 18 months or so.

Bo130 said:
From GameFront:

Not to say this is my prediction, but if #1 is 300K it's still possible that 2 and 3 combined are over a half million copies, which would be a franchise high for a second week.

donny2112

toonface said:
So, is this the first week in a year or so there are no Brain Trainings in the top ten?

First week since Brain Training 1 came out that there was no 1) Brain Training 1, 2) Gentle Brain Training, or 3) Brain Training 2, if these are Media-Create's numbers. In other words, there have been zero weeks since BT1 came out that one of those three wasn't in the top ten for Media-Create.

Please correct me, if I'm wrong. :)

This is also a freaking massive week if the #10 game (NSMB) sold > 50K, which it probably did based on past weeks.

Top Bottom