• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 9/25 - 10/1

LOCK

Maybe Pokemans will be 1 and 2 with strong sales by themselves. I want to see how great its legs will be on the DS. 2mil here we come.

I have been looking a little into the Kanji Training game...

Its a last week release. Its name is:
Zaidan Houjin Nihon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kyoukai Kounin Kanken DS

6th in MC last week, 45k opening, below NSMB 57k.
But Famitsu had it 3rd that same week, 2 spots above NSMB.

And now, Famitsu has it 4th in its second week, still above NSMB.

Seems like its going to pull ~50k this week (so LTD ~100k), quite surprising because its made by Rocket Company, published by them as well. Quite small developer if you ask me, GBA-only going into DS-only. Very surprising performance.

In truth, we can only speculate, but it's a pretty fair assumption that Square underestimated the demand, thus they didn't order enough. When they realized they could sell more, they tried to order more, but Nintendo had kicked Pokemon D/P production into high gear, so they gave SE a sop with approx. 50K units out a week.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
It was undershipped at start, but now too ? I don't think so.
Because of the Pokebomb, it's highly likely that Square can only ship less than 50,000 units per week (that's pretty much what they've been shipping since first week).

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Seems like its going to pull ~50k this week (so LTD ~100k), quite surprising because its made by Rocket Company, published by them as well. Quite small developer if you ask me, GBA-only going into DS-only. Very surprising performance.

It's good for videogames industry if even a small team, nowadays, can make some profits, just need to choose the hot platform and the hot genre.
I could say "see that CapCom!!" but i remember they also are planning a training game for DS :lol

Deku

Banned
Pureauthor said:
In truth, we can only speculate, but it's a pretty fair assumption that Square underestimated the demand, thus they didn't order enough. When they realized they could sell more, they tried to order more, but Nintendo had kicked Pokemon D/P production into high gear, so they gave SE a sop with approx. 50K units out a week.

I'm not sure I agree. ~50k units a week, work out to about 200k units a month, not
including the launch shipment. This figure is considerable and is more than the entire
shipment of many games, PS2 or DS.

I think S-E will be struggling with this issue for sometime to come, and its unlikely Pokemon will dampen demand, as they are hitting different demographics in the DS userbase. There might be some overlap among certain players, but that's expected.

ethelred

Deku said:
I'm not sure I agree. ~50k units a week, work out to about 200k units a month, not
including the launch shipment. This figure is considerable and is more than the entire
shipment of many games, PS2 or DS.

I think S-E will be struggling with this issue for sometime to come, and its unlikely Pokemon will dampen demand, as they are hitting different demographics in the DS userbase. There might be some overlap among certain players, but that's expected.

Yeah... it's a really impressive success no matter how you look at it, and Square Enix has more than indicated how overwhelmingly pleased with the results they are.

donny2112

Deku said:
I think S-E will be struggling with this issue for sometime to come, and its unlikely Pokemon will dampen demand, as they are hitting different demographics in the DS userbase.

But they are hitting the same manufacturing facilities ...

cvxfreak

ethelred said:
Yeah... it's a really impressive success no matter how you look at it, and Square Enix has more than indicated how overwhelmingly pleased with the results they are.

Famitsu had the game at 730K three weeks ago (so a little ahead of Media Create in the same time period). It's already passed 800K, most likely.

ioi

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
He's explained his methods of gathering info, and extrapolating it. CoolTrick is the one making the accusation, he should dig up some false numbers and challenge ioi on them.

In an appropriate thread.

Agreed. If anyone has some kind of conclusive proof that a number on vgcharts is more than 10% out (and not just because of a typo / admin error, and excluding accumulated totals which I clearly state on the site may not be accurate because it's still under construction) then tell me about it. Otherwise, stfu.

ioi said:
Agreed. If anyone has some kind of conclusive proof that a number on vgcharts is more than 10% out (and not just because of a typo / admin error, and excluding accumulated totals which I clearly state on the site may not be accurate because it's still under construction) then tell me about it. Otherwise, stfu.

Your site probably will be under construction forever. Hopefully sales numbers never stop coming.

ioi

Banned
Stopsign said:
Your site probably will be under construction forever. Hopefully sales numbers never stop coming.

Well, historic data is still under construction

VGCharts said:
Japanese software is ongoing, years which are more than 90%: 1996, 1997, 1998, 2005, 2006

etc

WARCOCK

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
Exactly. Everyone knows that your estimations rely heavily on statistical methods that have been developed and perfected over hundreds of years.

not really. They're just guesses that use the crudest of extrapolation techniques.

WTF DID YOU EXPECT?

1. There is absolutely no money in this, so i wouldnt expect anybody with formal advanced mathematics or statistics knowledge to be engaged in this.

2. Look at the crowd its catering to, a hardcore gamer forum? HUGE HEDGE FUNDS!? THE NEED FOR ACCURATE NUMBERS= PUTTING 138190381310 billion dollars at risk. NOBEL PRIZE ECONOMISTS OR FIELDS MEDAL WINNARS TO THE RESCUE!!!

Plz gaime guy, stop with the playa hatin. The charts serve their purposes, fueling these pointless threads...its all in good fun and time wasting!

CoolTrick

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
He's explained his methods of gathering info, and extrapolating it. CoolTrick is the one making the accusation, he should dig up some false numbers and challenge ioi on them.

In an appropriate thread.

Ioi can explain the day away but he still doesn't prove that anything he's actually saying is accurate. For all you know he's explaining a very complex method that just results in an irrelevant number.

And to be honest, I have no idea why people would want numbers with a site claiming a margin of error of 10%. That's a pretty big figure, especially when we don't know where the hell he gets some of his numbers anyway.

ioi

Banned
WARCOCK said:
WTF DID YOU EXPECT?

1. There is absolutely no money in this, so i wouldnt expect anybody with formal advanced mathematics or statistics knowledge to be engaged in this.

2. Look at the crowd its catering to, a hardcore gamer forum? HUGE HEDGE FUNDS!? THE NEED FOR ACCURATE NUMBERS= PUTTING 138190381310 billion dollars at risk. NOBEL PRIZE ECONOMISTS OR FIELDS MEDAL WINNARS TO THE RESCUE!!!

Plz gaime guy, stop with the playa hatin. The charts serve their purposes, fueling these pointless threads...its all in good fun and time wasting!

Well whilst I agree with the general point of what you're saying, people with formal advanced mathematics or statistics knowledge are involved and the methods are more involved that just rudimentary extrapolations and so on, but of course not the level of detail or advanced calculation that some would wish for- as you say exact accuracy isn't really of importance here.

And you're right about being no money in it :D

CoolTrick said:
And to be honest, I have no idea why people would want numbers with a site claiming a margin of error of 10%. That's a pretty big figure, especially when we don't know where the hell he gets some of his numbers anyway.

As I keep saying, if you can find another site or any source of data for that matter, that gives you SNES/GB weekly data to better than 10% accuracy (or at all) then go for it. Until then, why not accept that this free, easy to use, extensive website is by far the best source you have (and probably ever will). You have over 16 years of data here, 56,000 data entries for the Japanese section alone, all processed by hand to be as accurate and realistic as possible.

For example, we have just gone back and re-adjusted Pokemon G/S in light of fresh data from 99 that we have- meaning that D/P now looks like having the biggest week 1 ever for a pokemon game (to be updated in a couple of hours). These checks / adjustments are going on all the time. If you know of a specific error then let me know and it'll be looked into.

The sole aim of the site is to make it as accurate as possible (in terms of the overall numbers for games), I don't see what there is in that mission statement not to like or agree with, isn't that what we all want?

CoolTrick

Banned
as you say exact accuracy isn't really of importance here.

Which really exposes your goal of simply trying to get a popular website where people can search for sales numbers on the fly.

Only problem is with how much you advertise it and insist on a crappy method with no proof and seem to disregard accuracy as a whole.

Very few people, if any, would have a problem if you would actually put a warning on your site. But no, you stand by and watch people pass it off for real data, when you KNOW you have a large margin of error, and you continue to do nothing about it but bitch about your ridiculous method and advertise the sight some more.

CoolTrick said:
Ioi can explain the day away but he still doesn't prove that anything he's actually saying is accurate. For all you know he's explaining a very complex method that just results in an irrelevant number.

What could he do to prove twhat you want him to prove?

Why are you unable to point to a specific falsehood for him to defend?

You don't just storm into someone's operation and demand that they prove you this and that without a coherent accusation (with supporting information of some kind).

And I'm not even a fan of ioi's numbers, it's just common sense.

CoolTrick

Banned
No you moron, common sense is that if you're going to go around passing numbers, facts, and data, you have some viable proof to back it up.

These aren't opinions or ideas that need to be debated.

And infact, it's very DIFFICULT to prove his SNES/GB numbers are within ANYTHING, because where is that data coming from? Where is he supposedly getting the original data from?

Infact, when dealing with numbers, how ridiculous is it to ask "How could he prove what you want him to?"

I want him to prove that his method is at all relevant, factual, or where he's even getting some of this data from! Um, pardon ME? I think not.

CoolTrick said:
Which really exposes your goal of simply trying to get a popular website where people can search for sales numbers on the fly.

Only problem is with how much you advertise it and insist on a crappy method with no proof and seem to disregard accuracy as a whole.

Very few people, if any, would have a problem if you would actually put a warning on your site. But no, you stand by and watch people pass it off for real data, when you KNOW you have a large margin of error, and you continue to do nothing about it but bitch about your ridiculous method and advertise the sight some more.

It's the most comprehensive resource we have. The fact that he readily admits that it's not 100% accurate kind of deflates all the accusations you direct at him
every ****ing week

All tracking services have a margin of error. As long as investors or major websites aren't using his data, who really cares? It's a useful resource for people who don't store the data in all these MC threads on their own computers. He needs to change the estimates he recieves to avoid getting sued by the tracking services. Note: ESTIMATES. The very numbers you treat as gospel are inherently flawed.

Find me early 90s data, find me specific falsehoods in his site, make your own thread about it, or shut up.

CoolTrick said:
No you moron, common sense is that if you're going to go around passing numbers, facts, and data, you have some viable proof to back it up.

These aren't opinions or ideas that need to be debated.

And infact, it's very DIFFICULT to prove his SNES/GB numbers are within ANYTHING, because where is that data coming from? Where is he supposedly getting the original data from?

That concludes my interest in this asinine debate.

At what point does derailment, harassment, and now flaming become banworthy? Anyone know?

edit: Haha, at this point.

ioi

Banned
(neutral) CoolTrick
Banned

At last

CoolTrick said:

For anyone else who may have missed it, a full explanation has been up for a while on vgcharts so people are aware of exactly where the data comes from and how to use it -
http://www.vgcharts.org/welcome.php.

If CoolTrick had actually bothered visiting the site instead of sitting here bitching about it then he may have a leg to stand on.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
AdmiralViscen said:

At what point does derailment, harassment, and now flaming become banworthy? Anyone know?

Right there, apparently.

ioi

Banned
Interestingly, the original GB hardware sales are almost neck and neck with PSP sales...

http://www.vgcharts.org/japconscomps.php?name1=PSP&name2=GB&type=2&align=0

Could PSP end up doing 32m in Japan with the release of a 'Poke-bomb' style game in 2011?

I think not.

Kind of highlights how different sales are now to back then though. I know pokemon / GBP / GBC in the late 90s makes the GB a special case, but even so sales were good for over 12 years, after a relatively slow start (SNES overtook it in 93).

The interesting thing is looking at how many GB games are in the alltime top 10 in Japan (soon to be a host of DS games in there too - almost exclusively handheld with the exception of SMB by the end of the year?)

Amir0x

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:

:D

Oh what the hey, I'm going to post my COMGNET predictions for this week while we await m-c data:
Code:
1  Dragon Ball Z Sparking NEO	1000	*280	280,000	NEW
2  Pocket Monster Diamond	271	*870	236,000	1,056,000
3  Pocket Monster Pearl	208	*870	181,000	950,000
4  Gundam Battle Royale	181	*210	38,010	NEW
5  Everybody's Tennis	                102           *360	37,000	421,000
6  New Super Mario Bros.	84	*520	44,000	3,236,000
9  Final Fantasy III	                45            *650	29,000	780,000
10 .hack//G.U. Vol.2 君想フ声	39	*320	12,000	135,000

slaughterking said:

Here they are untranslated:
ドラゴンボールZ Sparking! NEO 3D-ACT 10/5