• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 9/25 - 10/1

Xeke

Banned
Deku said:
Based on your numbers from page 1.
GBA

1,245,003 (Ruby/Saffire Sales) / 6,548,092 = 19.01% of the existing base bought a Pokemon game at launch

DS
1,575,266 / 11,439,351 = 13.77% of the existing userbase bought a Pokemon game at launch.

So that although DS versions broke records as the biggest launching Pokemon game, it didn't sell to the largest share of the platform's userbase.

Will be interesting to follow this trend in this coming weeks.

Well I think some of that is attributed to what was said earlier about the previous pokemon games selling a larger number of DS's before the main games came out.

cvxfreak

Dengeki:

Pokemon Diamond: 834,000
Pokemon Pearl: 783,000
Combined: 1,617,000

Sapphire: 700,000
Ruby: 672,000
Combined: 1,373,000
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire total: 4,965,000 (lower than Famitsu by around 300K)

If Diamond and Pearl were scaled following R/S's pattern, then sales will end up at 5,884,000. (obviously using Famitsu we'll end up above 6 Million) Dengeki acknowledges the chances of higher second week sales for D/P against R/S as well.

DS hardware: 323,000

Media Create is undercounting hardware during the big weeks. Dengeki had 300K for NSMB as well.

Xeke

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Dengeki:

Pokemon Diamond: 834,000
Pokemon Pearl: 783,000
Combined: 1,617,000

Sapphire: 700,000
Ruby: 672,000
Combined: 1,373,000
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire total: 4,965,000 (lower than Famitsu by around 300K)

If Diamond and Pearl were scaled following R/S's pattern, then sales will end up at 5,884,000. (obviously using Famitsu we'll end up above 6 Million) Dengeki acknowledges the chances of higher second week sales for D/P against R/S as well.

DS hardware: 323,000

Media Create is undercounting hardware during the big weeks. Dengeki had 300K for NSMB as well.

Maybe people should just start averaging all the major data trackers for their records, it would throw shit off but may provide more accurate numbers...or not at all.

cvxfreak

Xeke said:
Maybe people should just start averaging all the major data trackers for their records, it would throw shit off but may provide more accurate numbers...or not at all.

That's www.vgcharts.org, in a nutshell. But you may or may not find the numbers on there reliable because of accused Nintendo biases and other reasons.

Xeke

Banned
cvxfreak said:
That's www.vgcharts.org, in a nutshell. But you may or may not find the numbers on there reliable because of accused Nintendo biases and other reasons.

Well alright then, guess it's better to just stick with MC because most people seem to agree with it.

The usual:

GBASP at 30 weeks: 1.61M
DSL at 30 weeks: 4.70M
Time for GBASP to reach 4.70M: 97 weeks

"GBA after SP" at 30 weeks: 436K
"DS after DSL" at 30 weeks: 480K
Time for "GBA after SP" to reach 480K: 37 weeks

DS at 30 weeks: 2.53M
PSP at 30 weeks: 1.48M
GBM at 30 weeks: 473K

Graphically

(It's worth pointing out that by GBASP's 97th week, DS had released. So, the GBASP numbers will creep lower, and DSL will appear to make leaps of greater numbers of weeks.)

Other interesting things:

From a DSvPSP perspective, this is the DS's best week yet percentagewise. 91.6% DS, 8.4% PSP. This slightly beats out the 91.4% DS, 8.6% PSP from the launch week of New Super Mario Bros.

And with that greater-then-normal week, DS takes a noticeable lead over the total GCN+GBA+GBASP+GBM+PS2+PSP+Xbox hardware sales from 2005 at the same point. Can it maintain the lead? I have doubts, but mostly due to production realities.

moku said:
Where did all those reports of 500,000 DS's hitting the streets come from then? Something is amiss here.
Probably the same places that reported 2 million copies of Pokémon sold on day one: someplace between Guesstown and Exaggerationville.

Yamauchi said:
Someone make pacman chart.
pacchartweekly.php

http://joshuajamesslone.name/gamecharting/pacchartweekly.php?date1=2006-09-25

Xeke

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
The usual:

GBASP at 30 weeks: 1.61M
DSL at 30 weeks: 4.70M
Time for GBASP to reach 4.70M: 97 weeks

"GBA after SP" at 30 weeks: 436K
"DS after DSL" at 30 weeks: 480K
Time for "GBA after SP" to reach 480K: 37 weeks

DS at 30 weeks: 2.53M
PSP at 30 weeks: 1.48M
GBM at 30 weeks: 473K

Graphically

(It's worth pointing out that by GBASP's 97th week, DS had released. So, the GBASP numbers will creep lower, and DSL will appear to make leaps of greater numbers of weeks.)

Other interesting things:

From a DSvPSP perspective, this is the DS's best week yet percentagewise. 91.6% DS, 8.4% PSP. This slightly beats out the 91.4% DS, 8.6% PSP from the launch week of New Super Mario Bros.

And with that greater-then-normal week, DS takes a noticeable lead over the total GCN+GBA+GBASP+GBM+PS2+PSP+Xbox hardware sales from 2005 at the same point. Can it maintain the lead? I have doubts, but mostly due to production realities.

Probably the same places that reported 2 million copies of Pokémon sold on day one: someplace between Guesstown and Exaggerationville.

pacchartweekly.php

http://joshuajamesslone.name/gamecharting/pacchartweekly.php?date1=2006-09-25

Now that is a big ass pacman.

Holy shit, when PS3 launches there'll be huge shortages right?

Okay now stay with me. if the PS3 launches not AS many people will buy a PS2, Also PSP will lose favour to the DS. That means that in the coming weeks we may have the most eatingest pac chart ever.

That's right.
This is signifcant I will simply type it again.

That means that in the coming weeks we may have the most eatingest pac chart ever.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Earthstrike said:

Okay now stay with me. if the PS3 launches not AS many people will buy a PS2, Also PSP will lose favour to the DS. That means that in the coming weeks we may have the most eatingest pac chart ever.

That's right.
This is signifcant I will simply type it again.

That means that in the coming weeks we may have the most eatingest pac chart ever.
Well there's still the wii. And well, unless the companies have really been hording DSs, as we get closer to Xmas, the PSP numbers will rise, while the DS stays hovering between 150k to 300k. I think the closer we get to Xmas, the less like pacman the charts will look, and the more like pie charts they'll look.

Axord

Earthstrike said:

What?
PS2 31,992 + PSP 25,319 = ~50,000
PS3 = 100,000
So, assuming that combined PS2/PSP sales are halved, DS sales would have to do better than %225 to mark any change in... eatingness.

But as GGG said, PSP numbers are likely to rise. Hell, PS2 has godlegs, sales of it might just rise too.

Deku

Banned
GreenGlowingGoo said:
Well there's still the wii. And well, unless the companies have really been hording DSs, as we get closer to Xmas, the PSP numbers will rise, while the DS stays hovering between 150k to 300k. I think the closer we get to Xmas, the less like pacman the charts will look, and the more like pie charts they'll look.

Did you forget about last year's DS sales? They certainly are hoarding. The business is seasonal to an extent.

The big story for Nintendo in 2005 and 2006 is that sales remained increadibly strong year round. Hence all the easter jokes.

cvxfreak

Deku said:
Did you forget about last year's DS sales? They certainly are hoarding. The business is seasonal to an extent.

The big story for Nintendo in 2005 and 2006 is that sales remained increadibly strong year round. Hence all the easter jokes.

I wonder if the DS can sell above 1 Million in a week. The cap so far is 600K.

Doogdogg

Looking at DS sales numbers everyweek is a lot like watching a Shadow crab (from Babylon 5) slicing through armada of ships.

Anyway the demand for this system continues to be unbelievable. Sataruation point for most domestic sales seems at 25-30 million. For DS I'm guessing 40 million. It's something everyone wants to have in JPN. It's truely is a new breed.

moku said:
:lol

I understand the comment, I just find all of this DS shortage, Plastic shortage, craziness as just that, craziness.

I mean the only reason I can think of for Nintendo to only release 275,000 DS units is becuase thats all they had.

How is that possible? They are producing 550,000 units a week, correct? (2.2million a month) I know the DS has picked up steam in the States, and is selling pretty good in Europe, but they couldnt just short a shipment bound for the States?

Unless of course the demand in the States and Europe has stayed high since the release of the DSlite.

Where did all those reports of 500,000 DS's hitting the streets come from then? Something is amiss here.

According to some reports Nintendo shipped about 1.5m systems in July and most likely 2.2m for August and 2.2m for September.
For July we have the following sales:

USA: 377.000 + about 10% (4 weeks months) = ~415k
Japan: 729.618 + about 10% = ~800k
Europe: ~140.000 per week = ~615k

So accounting the three biggest markets we are already at 1.83m. This is not counting Canada, Australia, New Zealand and whatever other markets the DS may be available. Although the sell through / shipment ratio obviously has changed in August and September, the DS definitely just is in low supply. Nintendo probably tries to save as many units as they can for christmas while still managing to sell a huge amount till than.

And btw. I think it's pretty much hilarious that quite a few expect that DS shortages in Japan ended when the biggest DS game got released.

ziran

donny2112 said:
DSL 274,389
PS2 31,992
PSP 25,319
Xbox360 2,195
GBASP 1,811
GBM 1,103
GC 523
DS 253
GBA 10
Xbox 3
donny2112 said:
YTD/LTD:

DS: 5,792,402 / 11,439,351
PSP: 1,360,916 / 4,043,878

DS Lead: 4,431,486 / 7,395,473

DS '06 vs. DS '05: +3,982,634
PSP '06 vs. PSP '05: -6,786

Possible milestones next week:
* DS pass 6 million YTD?
* DS ahead of 2005 pace by 4 million
how these incredible ds sales have become the norm is amazing. 140k a week and no-one bats an eyelid and in many ways 275k for a major pokémon release seems, ...okay! :lol

still, the most interesting thing to me is how the market has, in relative terms, ignored the generational improvement in graphics of psp and the playstation brand name. even cost is unlikely to be an issue since psp and ds are very close in price, with only 3000 yen (~$25) difference.

when it comes to wii i'm still unsure how it's going to sell, even though i think i will love it. throughout history successful products have needed a combination of things including being available at just the right time. it will be interesting to see if wii's timing will be as perfect as the that of the ds.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
DefectiveReject said:
Wow you just blew my vocabulary outta the water.
What the hell is that word???

It's slang for the correct english term "The most largest" pac chart ever.

kids and english these days.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Deku said:

Yeah, but strong 2005 was 50k or so a week, and only the second half of the year. Nintendo probably had tons of unsold DS's ready to go. then in december when everybody and their pet were buying one, the reserves dropped and shortages began. Then we got to see what Nintendo could produce in a week. I really hope they're hoarding... but I'd also think nintendo and stores would rather sell as many as they could as soon as they could. Demand is demand.

catfish said:

:lol I understand what he means by eatingest*, but the Pac-Chart can be made to be pretty large.

*Here is the eatingest Pac-Chart so far. DS Lite had 82.1% of the chart, but to make it just a bit more eatinger I grouped it by Hardware Family, so the additional 1.2% of the original DS is added in. I don't think we'll see a better one this year.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Jonnyram said:
Another thing you have to understand about DS shortages... Nintendo also is knii-diip in Wii production too. If that takes off, they'll have two successful pieces of hardware to manage.

and both those pieces of hardware have some quite novel gaming interfaces. Mass producing the GBA is not so hard when you've been making GBC for years.

And on top of that DSL is actually selling at a faster rate in Japan than the GBA did in the USA, and it hasn't even gone through its first Christmas. As you also said, it takes time to increase production capacity, and for all we know any increased capacity is being stockpiled to ensure they can meet the global demand this Christmas.

Jonnyram said:
I'm not expecting a smooth ride over Christmas/New Year though, unless they are stockpiling for that already.

I think stockpiling for Christmas is basically inevitable. Christmas is 10x more important than Pokemon launch. Nintendo sold 600k in one week last year before the DSL craze existed - they could easily sell nearly 2m units in two weeks this year. It would be a disaster not to be able to meet the retailer and consumer demand, potentially miss out on an extra 2m or more new users looking to splash out on software titles, or perhaps tempting them to purchase available handhelds instead.

Jonnyram

Regarding next week's DS scoop rush, it's interesting to remember what games came out last holiday season. Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing, Mario & Luigi 2x2, Brain Age 2, Pokemon Fushigi Dungeon... and that's just first party titles. I wonder what big names Nintendo will have lined up for Nov/Dec this year.

donny2112

moku said:
I mean the only reason I can think of for Nintendo to only release 275,000 DS units is becuase thats all they had.

How is that possible?

It doesn't make sense to me, either. Either there's a lot in transit (or on shelves in the U.S.) or Nintendo really is stocking up for New Year's. The weekly/monthly totals we have for the three regions are < 2 million even in a 5-week month. Where's the extra going? However, that doesn't mean I doubt the on-the-ground reports of shortages, though. :p

moku said:
Where did all those reports of 500,000 DS's hitting the streets come from then?

And a million for the week. That source also said 2 million Pokemon for the day when the week's shipment was more like 1.7 million. I don't know where that "source" got the numbers. :(

TheProfessor said:
Yeah I find it interesting that the curve spikes at game releases. It there were serious shortages and demand outtripping suppy shouldn't the sales curve stay constant.

Why is it surprising when 1) Nintendo could put out more when a big game is released (e.g. Pink DS Lite with Cooking Navi, claiming to have "sufficient" stock for FFIII's release) and 2) a popular game means more people are out looking for a system? In the down weeks, it could just be near impossible to find a system instead of impossible.

linsivvi

Jonnyram said:
Regarding next week's DS scoop rush, it's interesting to remember what games came out last holiday season. Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing, Mario & Luigi 2x2, Brain Age 2, Pokemon Fushigi Dungeon... and that's just first party titles. I wonder what big names Nintendo will have lined up for Nov/Dec this year.

Except Jump Ultimate Stars, currently all the big games in Nov/Dec are from 3rd parties:

Winning Eleven
Castlevania
Megaman Star Force
Jump Ultimate Stars
Yu-Gi-Oh
DQMJ
San Goku Shi Taisen

Is Nintendo going to let their 3rd parties to dominate this holiday season for a change? It can't be!

BTW, Is Phantom Hourglass delayed to 2007 in Japan as well?

Not to forget the Chocobo game and the new Kirby. Even though they won't sell like crazy, they'll still do their 100k (if not more) units.

ziran

linsivvi said:
Except Jump Ultimate Stars, currently all the big games in Nov/Dec are from 3rd parties:

Winning Eleven
Castlevania
Megaman Star Force
Jump Ultimate Stars
Yu-Gi-Oh
DQMJ
San Goku Shi Taisen

Is Nintendo going to let their 3rd parties to dominate this holiday season for a change? It can't be!

common sense training is oct 26th and kirby is nov 2nd, from hal. both could sell decent amounts and have good legs.

common sense training preview:
http://watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20060913/josiki.htm

kirby's site:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/akwj/index.html?link=txt

edit - from what's been said i think you're right about phantom hourglass being 2007. sounds amazing though! :)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
linsivvi said:

Winning Eleven
Castlevania
Megaman Star Force
Jump Ultimate Stars
Yu-Gi-Oh
DQMJ
San Goku Shi Taisen

Don't you forget about a certain green dinosaur ;)?

Soul4ger

And I'm pretty sure Hotel Dusk will be out this year in Japan, too, right? And Phoenix Wright is late October. COULD THERE POSSIBLY BE MORE?

slaughterking said:
Not to forget the Chocobo game and the new Kirby. Even though they won't sell like crazy, they'll still do their 100k (if not more) units.

I do believe Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland sold over 900,000 in Japan. It very well could be a million seller if Nintendo wanted it to be.

By this I mean if Nintendo: Advertises and Ships Enough it could be. Kirby has always been popular in Japan.

king zell

linsivvi said:

Winning Eleven
Castlevania
Megaman Star Force
Jump Ultimate Stars
Yu-Gi-Oh
DQMJ
San Goku Shi Taisen
Gyakuten Saiban 2
Tales of the Tempest
Oshare Majo Love and Berry
Chocobo to Mahou no Ehon
Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren DS
Bokujou Monogatari Kimi to Sodatsu Shima
BLEACH DS 2nd Kuroi Hirameku Chinkonkyoku
Luminous Ark
Front Mission the First
Naruto -- Ninretsuden

the big games from 3rd parties Oct/Nov/Dec :)

Soul4ger

Pureauthor said:
Dawn of Sorrow had a launch week of 15K.

And this was an improvement over the GBA iterations.

You do the math.

Yeah, well, if we consider that Portrait of Ruin might also improve, with an installed base that's like triple of what it was when DoS came out...

Not going to say it will do that well, as Castlevania just isn't that big in Japan. But it would be nice to see it get some sales, considering how awesome it is.

king zell said:
the big games from third party Oct/Nov/Dec :)

Then we have:

Kirby: Squek Squad
Common Sense Training
Yoshi's Island 2
Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
Jump Ultimate Stars

Which all have the chance/are million sellers from 1st Parties.

catfish said:

The man is JOKING, please impressionable kids DO NOT USE this term, it is extremely grating on the inside of my eye balls, along with "very unique" it is the phrase that makes my blood boil.

Soul4ger said:
Yeah, well, if we consider that Portrait of Ruin might also improve, with an installed base that's like triple of what it was when DoS came out...

Not going to say it will do that well, as Castlevania just isn't that big in Japan. But it would be nice to see it get some sales, considering how awesome it is.

No, Castlevania just never sells. I think the highest sales from one on the GBA was 27,000. It fairs much better in America. If they would just ship enough, then it would be over 300,000 or so.

Top Bottom