• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Aug 24-30, 2009

cakefoo said:
http://garaph.info/index.php

What's going on with the site?
Apparently using more CPU/RAM resources than a standard account is allowed. Pretty sure that means the image generation stuff is to blame. For the short term I've just told them I can temporarily disable the images so at least the text information (as well as my other simpler domains) can remain accessible. Beyond that will be a matter of seeing what corners can be cut for efficiency and/or what sort of higher service plan might be good.
LiquidMetal14 said:
Hell no lol. But if GT5 and then 13 hit......hard guess but not in the 20k range.
Ehh. I definitely guessed low on what the first week would be, but thinking it will be better than the 20K range for most of the year would basically mean it becoming the #2 system topping Wii and PSP for a long period. That still seems hard to imagine considering GT5 and FF XIII are still months down the road.
spwolf said:
Also, isnt 1st week of jan usually counted in Dec sales in japan? Its one with the most sales.
Looks like the last sales week of 2009 will be Monday December 28 - Sunday January 3.

d+pad

Well, well, well - this fall and esp. this holiday season are going to be *very* interesting. I'm honestly amazed by the Slim's ability to pull in 150k in its first week. I was thinking it would pull in about 75k in sales. It'll be very interesting to see where sales are at a month from now, though - I have a feeling we'll be surprised regardless of where they are (high or low).

The Wii's one-two punch of Wii Fit+ and NSMB Wii will be interesting, too. I really think NSMB Wii is going to push hardware a good deal this winter, but I'm not sure about Wii Fit+. On the one hand, I can see where people are coming from when they say it'll mostly sell to those who own the original title, but it could push a good deal of hardware, too, if NOJ spends some money on marketing - especially since Wii Fit+ is replacing the original title in the balance-board package.

Then there's the DS. DQIX is *still* selling a shit-load of copies each week and keeping DS/DSi sales quite high. Pokemon G/S are going to keep that train going, for sure - as is Tomodachi Collection. Other than those 3-4 titles, though, what else is coming out between Pokemon and the end of the year?

I have a question that I think someone here may be able to answer.

How does Wii software sales at this point compare to PS2 software sales at the same point in time?

And if it easy to put into a line graph or some other easy to read visual representation, is it possible to include Xbox/360, PS3, PSP, DS & GC?

d+pad said:
Then there's the DS. DQIX is *still* selling a shit-load of copies each week and keeping DS/DSi sales quite high. Pokemon G/S are going to keep that train going, for sure - as is Tomodachi Collection. Other than those 3-4 titles, though, what else is coming out between Pokemon and the end of the year?
Inazuma Elven 2, Saga 2, SMT Strange Journey, Layton 4, Mario & Sonic 2; with Layton being the biggest release.

/edit/ Plus, whatever cw_sasuke said.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
d+pad said:

Hmmm...Idol Masters, SaGa 2, Blue Dragon, Inazuma Eleven II, Layton 4, Zelda Spirit Tracks, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, Final Fantasy Gaiden, GTA Chinatown Wars, Rockman.EXE Operate Shooting Star.....anything else "big" ?

Tannhauser

Neo Member
donny2112 said:
I hope you're referring more to GT5 than FFXIII. FF is about the most front-loaded million-selling series out there. If the game won't have legs, it can't make the system have legs.

Edit:
And looking back at GT4, it was the most front-loaded of the series to date, probably due to GT3, GT 2001, and GT4:p already having come out on the system. With PS3 already having GT4HD, GT5:p and GT5:p Spec III, it could share similar sales trends.

% of 1st week in LTD

GT1 - 36% (2.2m) (10.5 months in Top 30)
GT2 - 51% (1.5m) (2.5 months in Top 30)
GT3 - 33% (1.4m) (6.5 months in Top 30)
GT4:p - 27% (750K) (2.5 months in Top 30)
GT4 - 62% (1.1m) (2.5 months in Top 30)
GT5:p - 45% (240K) (1 month in Top 30)
Why would you say that is a factor? I don't disagree, I just can't get my head around it.

Doesn't the consideration that the relative install bases for the PS3 and the PS2 when those games were released differ wildly mean that those trends may not hold up as expected? There should be more potential for that expansion right now than there was with GT4, which is quite likely to extend the life of the software (given that the hardware moves). That might be a catch-22, but oh well..

BlackNMild2k1 said:
I have a question that I think someone here may be able to answer.

How does Wii software sales at this point compare to PS2 software sales at the same point in time?

And if it easy to put into a line graph or some other easy to read visual representation, is it possible to include Xbox/360, PS3, PSP, DS & GC?
Are you talking about sales in Japan or worldwide?

donny2112

Tannhauser said:
Why would you say that is a factor?

Because the more front-loaded it is, the less long-term impact on hardware sales there will be. If the game isn't continuing to sell to more new people, then the game can't be continuing to cause more new people to buy the hardware.

Tannhauser said:
Doesn't the consideration that the relative install bases for the PS3 and the PS2 when those games were released differ wildly mean that those trends may not hold up as expected?

To this point, it's typically resulted in series being more front-loaded on the PS3 than they were on the PS2.

Tannhauser said:
There should be more potential for that expansion right now than there was with GT4, which is quite likely to extend the life of the software (given that the hardware moves).

I don't see that happening with a sequel in a well-established series, but it's still a possibility.

d+pad

slaughterking said:
Inazuma Elven 2, Saga 2, SMT Strange Journey, Layton 4, Mario & Sonic 2; with Layton being the biggest release.

/edit/ Plus, whatever cw_sasuke said.

Yowza - can't believe I forgot about some of those :\ So, the DS will have a *very* healthy line-up from now until the end of the year. Impressive.

I keep forgetting about Mario & Sonic 2 on the Wii, too, though I can't remember when it's coming out... As long as it's before the holiday rush, it should do well, too - and help Wii HW sales, too.

Tannhauser

Neo Member
donny2112 said:
Because the more front-loaded it is, the less long-term impact on hardware sales there will be. If the game isn't continuing to sell to more new people, then the game can't be continuing to cause more new people to buy the hardware.
I wasn't talking about that, I was referring to the bolded part of your post. Why would GT4 have been more front-loaded because of there being previous instalments of the game on the console?

donny2112 said:
To this point, it's typically resulted in series being more front-loaded on the PS3 than they were on the PS2.

I don't see that happening with a sequel in a well-established series, but it's still a possibility.
Re: the 1st sentence, I acknowledge that but the hardware hasn't seen any sustained increases like what could be possible this time round. Or rather what must occur for the software to gain longevity. Clearly it's an unlikely scenario, I am merely pointing out what is possible.

test_account

XP-39C²
Tannhauser said:
I wasn't talking about that, I was referring to the bolded part of your post. Why would GT4 have been more front-loaded because of there being previous instalments of the game on the console?
I think he ment that because GT3, GT 2001, and GT4:p were all released on the PS2 before GT4, then maybe people were happy with this share of GT games, and maybe they didnt feel that they needed to buy GT4 as well when they already had GT3, GT 2001, and GT4:p. Therefor maybe mostly the GT fans bought GT4 at launch making it a more front loaded game compared to the previous GT games. If GT4 was the first GT game that was released on the PS2, then maybe it would have been less front-loaded.

It is pretty much the same situation with GT5 for the PS3, where GT4HD, GT5:p and GT5:p Spec III is already released on the PS3 as donny2112 mentioned in a previous post in this thread. Maybe many people are happy enough with these games/releases and therefor they might not feel the need to buy GT5 as well. But donny2112 can reply on this for himself :) I am not sure if this is what he ment, but i just wanted to reply what i think that he ment at least :)

EDIT: I added some text.

donny2112

Tannhauser said:
Why would GT4 have been more front-loaded because of there being previous instalments of the game on the console?

The audience was "warmed up," so to speak. GT3 came out 1 year into the PS2's life, and the PS2 had a lot of problems with shortages up to that point in Japan, too. Therefore, there probably was sort of a DS 2006/2007 effect in that there was backlog of demand for the console, so people picked up the game for the console at the same time. By the time GT4 came out, three GT "games" had been on the system, and the PS2 had been well-stocked for a long time. Therefore, the audience was right there and ready to buy the game.

If the price drop and PS3 Slim cause a prolonged surge in PS3 sales, then GT5 may be able to ride/help prolong that wave, too. Based on past series sales, I don't think it would make that wave on its own, though. The series has shown decline in sales with each version, and past PS2 to PS3 transitions haven't shown improved legs for the games on the transition. GT5 with PS3 Slim/price drop could still buck the trend, though.

JoshuaJSlone said:
For the short term I've just told them I can temporarily disable the images so at least the text information (as well as my other simpler domains) can remain accessible.

By this did you mean "so at least the useful parts of the text information can remain completely inaccessible"? Because the parts of garaph that I actually use (i.e. the hardware and software chart generators) won't even return an HTML table of the results anymore. :lol

Tannhauser said:

This is traditionally the case with franchise entries: sequels sell faster than initial entries, and first entries on a given platform (which therefore haven't built up the established buyer's market yet) behave more like first games. Or, put another way: you can't be certain that everyone who wanted to buy GT3 would have bought a PS2 by the time it was out, but you could be pretty certain that everyone who really wanted to play GT4 would have already bought both a PS2 and GT3, and would probably be ready to buy the sequel day 1.

kay

Here's my list:

Code:
DS
Blue Dragon: Ikai no Kyoujuu
Cooking Mama 3
Hikari no 4 Senshi: Final Fantasy Gaiden
Idolmaster Dearly Stars
Inazuma Eleven 2 Blizzard/Fire
Layton Kyouju to Majin no Fue
Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympics
Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
Rockman.EXE Operation Shooting Star
Rune Factory 3
SaGa 2: Hihou Densetsu - Goddess of Destiny
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Summon Night X: Tears Crown
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Whatever Else Nintendo Releases
Criteria is what I believe to sell moderately (above 50k) in the next half year or so. Anything I may have missed? I have a list for each other system except PS2 but I won't post it unless people think it is a good idea.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
With the same criteria you had:

Luminous Arc 3: Eyes (Marvelous Entertainment)
Momotaro Railway 2010 (Hudson) (I think it's coming to the DS too)
Deca Sporta DS (Hudson)
Tamagotchi no Narikiri Channel (Namco Bandai)
Metal Fight Beyblade DS: Bakutan Cyber Pegasus (Hudson)
Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reviere (Square Enix) (slim chance)
Mario Party DS 2 (Nintendo) (slim chance again)

charlequin said:
By this did you mean "so at least the useful parts of the text information can remain completely inaccessible"? Because the parts of garaph that I actually use (i.e. the hardware and software chart generators) won't even return an HTML table of the results anymore. :lol
I tried to do things the simplest way, by redirecting all requests to linecomparegamejp.php and such to the placeholder image so it would show up on various pages and when people tried to create them. I later realized this would prevent people from using the HTML options, too, but I wasn't sure if enough used that to make a slightly more complicated workaround worthwhile. Shouldn't be too big a deal to at least make a few of them return the table results, though--I'll get to that soon and just report here with an edit.

EDIT: OK, the big three--linecompare, linecomparegamejp, and shipmentcompare--will allow for the table comparisons to be produced, but images will still go to the placeholder.

donny2112

Famitsu Aug 31-Sep 6

01. PS3 Mobile Suit Gundam Senki (Namco Bandai)
02. NDS Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo)
03. NDS Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix)
04. WII Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
05. NDS Love Plus (Konami)
06. NDS Sloane and MacHale's Mysterious Story 2 (Level 5)
07. PS3 428: Fuusa Sareta Shibuya de (Spike)
08. WII Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom)
09. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom)
10. NDS You'll Incur Losses if You Remain Ignorant: How Money and Things Work DS (Nintendo)

http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/sokuho/1227397_1796.html

test_account

XP-39C²
Famitsu.com has posted the Top 10 list now :) That PS3 Gundam game is on 1st place, Tomodachi Collection on 2nd place and Dragon Quest 9 on 3rd place. Dragon Quest 9 has some really nice legs i must say. Monster Hunter 3 and Monster Hunter Portable 2G is also close in the top 10. I wonder how MH3's legs will be compared to MHP2G's legs.

EDIT: I see now that donny2112 just posted this before me :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JoshuaJSlone said:
Apparently using more CPU/RAM resources than a standard account is allowed. Pretty sure that means the image generation stuff is to blame. For the short term I've just told them I can temporarily disable the images so at least the text information (as well as my other simpler domains) can remain accessible. Beyond that will be a matter of seeing what corners can be cut for efficiency and/or what sort of higher service plan might be good.

Switch hosting providers or cache the images. What I do to cache image generation is output the image to a permanent file, and in the image generation code, basically have

$md5_hash = md5($script_query_string);
if(file_exists("images/{$md5_hash}.png")) { header("Location: images/{$md5_hash}.png"); } else { generate image here }

And if you want to expire cached data to reflect changing info, you just do a simple database table that's a key,value pair where the key is the md5 hash and the value is the expiry date (say, 2 days) and if(date("Y-m-d H:i:s")>$expiry_date) yadda yadda

I ran into this on a server that used PHP and GD to generate hundreds of 500x300 or so images composed of 20+ layers of other images using supersampling AA and... well... you'd imagine that's a little heavy.

jeremy1456 said:
Sony has an absolutely huge Christmas this year with FFXIII and Gran Turismo.

Nintendo's Christmas might not be as big but their lineup is no slouch. Tales of Graces, Final Fantasy: Crystal Bearers, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and Samurai Warriors 3 should all perform decently.

EDIT: And of course, Wii Fit Plus will still be selling.

I don't see how you could at all quantify the PS3s holiday as "better" in a sales thread with two games vs. the 5 you listed for Wii.

kay

Chris1964 said:
With the same criteria you had:

Luminous Arc 3: Eyes (Marvelous Entertainment)
Momotaro Railway 2010 (Hudson) (I think it's coming to the DS too)
Deca Sporta DS (Hudson)
Tamagotchi no Narikiri Channel (Namco Bandai)
Metal Fight Beyblade DS: Bakutan Cyber Pegasus (Hudson)
Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reviere (Square Enix) (slim chance)
Mario Party DS 2 (Nintendo) (slim chance again)
Thanks for the list. Added LA3, Tamagotchi & Beyblade. Didn't see any mentions of a DS version of Momotaro on the official site. Deca Sports.... I'll wait and see with that after what happened to the sequel. DQ6 was added because of the news today, otherwise I wouldn't have. I haven't seen any rumors of Mario Party DS 2 coming soon, I'm just going to stick to the almost completely confirmed stuff to keep it simple.

ccbfan

donny2112 said:
Famitsu Aug 31-Sep 6

01. PS3 Mobile Suit Gundam Senki (Namco Bandai)
05. NDS Love Plus (Konami)
06. NDS Sloane and MacHale's Mysterious Story 2 (Level 5)
07. PS3 428: Fuusa Sareta Shibuya de (Spike)
10. NDS You'll Incur Losses if You Remain Ignorant: How Money and Things Work DS (Nintendo)

Woah thats a huge drop for MH3. Did something happen? MHP3 announcement? Shortages?

Cause unless 428 had a ridiculesly good recovery over the weekend, you're talking about under 20k for MH3 probably under 15K.

ccbfan said:
Woah thats a huge drop for MH3. Did something happen? MHP3 announcement? Shortages?

Cause unless 428 had a ridiculesly good recovery over the weekend, you're talking about under 20k for MH3 probably under 15K.

Are the controller bundles tracked?

markatisu

ccbfan said:

I am thinking 428 benefited from the PS3 slim more than you are giving it credit for

I do not think MH3 had a 50% drop, it would not fit any pattern and just be an odd number all together.

cvxfreak

[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam Senki: 159,000
[NDS] Love Plus: 48,000
[NDS] Slone and McHale 2: 20,000
[PS3] 428: Fuusa Sareta Shibuya de: 17,000
[WII] Ousama Monogatari: 6,400
[PSP] Samurai Dou Portable 2: 1,000
[WII] Tabemon: 600

Dragon

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:

If you're looking into a new hosting provider, slicehost (http://www.slicehost.com/ is awesome and while can be expensive IF you need to eventually need more space down the line can be upgraded rather easily. I don't know how technically inclined you are so maybe it's not an option.

markatisu

cvxfreak said:
[WII] Ousama Monogatari: 6,000

Thats a pretty steep drop between #5 and #6

Things did either good or shit apparently :lol

Loudninja

cvxfreak said:
[WII] Ousama Monogatari: 6,000

So almost everyone who bought a PS3 bought Gundam. ;)

Road

cvxfreak said:
[WII] Ousama Monogatari: 6,400
[PSP] Samurai Dou Portable 2: 1,000
[WII] Tabemon: 600

So:

01. PS3 Mobile Suit Gundam Senki (Namco Bandai) - 159,000
05. NDS Love Plus (Konami) - 48,000
06. NDS Sloane and MacHale's Mysterious Story 2 (Level 5) - 20,000
07. PS3 428: Fuusa Sareta Shibuya de (Spike) - 17,000

Also:

[PS3] Uncharted (Playstation the BEST) - 4,000 (Is that right?)

Seems like MH3 fell behind DW5. 6th week:

DW5 - 19k
MH3 - <18k

Edit: Shinobi has also cool top 5's for a lot of consoles.

Frillen

Wii Sports Resort is showing some really great legs. Most likely above 50k this week.

What happened to MH3? Less than 17k?

cvxfreak

Five biggest weeks (week of the month in parenthesis) in 2009:

Lifetime sales: 3,430,000

9/2009 (1): 150,000 (Slim launch)
1/2009 (1): 68,000
4/2009 (3): 57,000 (Advent Children Blu-Ray w/ FFXIII demo)
3/2009 (2): 40,000 (Biohazard 5)
3/2009 (1): 35,000 (Yakuza 3)

Five biggest weeks ever:

9/2009 (1): 150,000 (Slim launch)
12/2006 (4): 92,000
11/2006 (2): 88,000
6/2008 (3): 77,000 (MGS4)
12/2006 (3): 71,000

Five best games:

1. Metal Gear Solid 4: 710,000
2. Yakuza 3: 500,000
3. Biohazard 5: 480,000
4. Minna no Golf 5: 410,000
5. Winning Eleven 9: 400,000

Comparisons:

GameCube (4,000,000)
1. Super Smash Bros. Melee: 1,350,000
2. Mario Party 4: 900,000
3. Mario Kart Double Dash: 830,000
4. Super Mario Sunshine: 790,000
5. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker: 740,000

Famicom Disk System (4,500,000)
1. Super Mario Brothers 2: 2,650,000
2. Volleyball: 1,980,000
3. The Legend of Zelda: 1,690,000
4. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link: 1,610,000
5. Pro Wrestling: 1,420,000

Nintendo 64 (5,500,000)
1. Mario Kart 64: 1,710,000
2. Super Mario 64: 1,640,000
3. Super Smash Bros.: 1,630,000
4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: 1,150,000
5. Pokemon Stadium: 1,100,000

Saturn (5,900,000)
1. Virtua Fighter 2: 1,420,000
2. Fighters Megamix: 530,000
3. Super Robot Taisen F Final Part: 510,000
4. Sakura Taisen 2: 510,000
5. Virtua Cop: 470,000

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
School started back up this week. Probably not going to be a good time to release games.

Ouch at Tabemon.

test_account

XP-39C²
DeaconKnowledge said:
Are the controller bundles tracked?
I would guess so, or else MH3 would probably have sold over 1 million copies by now. Or do you mean that the bundles are tracked seperately so we can see how many controller bundles that has been sold compared to how many standalone copies of MH3 that has been sold?

markatisu said:
Didn't it come bundled with the Slim?
Ye, but it wasnt bundled with every PS3 Slim i think, if that is what you mean? I think it was a "normal" (or what i shall say) bundle with around 10k-20k bundles available if i am not mistaken?

EDIT: Or 20k-25k Gundam bundles as oldie-newbie mentioned :)

donny2112

cvxfreak said:
Saturn (5,900,000)
1. Virtua Fighter 2: 1,420,000
2. Fighters Megamix: 530,000
3. Super Robot Taisen F Final Part: 510,000
4. Sakura Taisen 2: 510,000
5. Virtua Cop: 470,000

His Saturn list is weird. VF2 was at 1.05m at the end of 1996 and didn't make the 1997 Top 100. Sega Rally Championship (600K at end of 1996) is completely missing.

RJT

5th best selling Gamecube game sold more than the best selling PS3 game. Now that's something I would never thought a few years ago...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
cvxfreak said:

this is weird , too high for a late port , Wii version did 27K first week , unless it's because of Canaan :/

was there anything new in the PS3 port ?

Top Bottom