• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 6-13, 2009

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Chris1964 said:
For PSP I agree. No Dissidia this year and PSP Go fiasco. DS library isn't so much different from previous year (in fact this year's ''immortal'' titles are stronger) and DSi LL is a success. The only explanation I can give is PS3 and Wii. Not that its sales are bad it just doesn't do what DS usually does.

Hmm..I thought DS had a better December last year but on second glance it really wasn't and Zelda should be bigger than anything released last year.

Edit- of course last year DS had the DSi.

[Nintex]

schuelma said:
I lean towards Zelda in 2010 as well, but I think it would be holiday release- they've basically said 5 different times now it will be properly unveiled at E3 2010 which could make it a late 2010 release. Personally I expect Galaxy 2 Springish, Metroid Fall, Zelda November.
I think Zelda will make 2010, based on Aonuma's comments. I doubt that he'd say that the game is pretty far along if it won't be released for another 2 years. I'm quite confident that Super Mario Galaxy 2 will make a 2010 release as well. I'm mostly worried about Metroid: Other M. The first 'real' Wii Zelda could also sell quite a few systems. TP is three years old now and even Crossbow Training sold well for what it was.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
gerg said:
No love for the Vitality Sensor? ; )
I couldn't care less for WiiRelax but I'll be there day 0 for Pikmin with Vitality Sensor. Since we don't know anything about the software I don't know what to expect from WiiRelax. It can be Wii Sports Resort but it can be and Wii Music.

gerg

Chris1964 said:
I couldn't care less for WiiRelax but I'll be there day 0 for Pikmin with Vitality Sensor. Since we don't know anything about the software I don't know what to expect from WiiRelax. It can be Wii Sports Resort but it can be and Wii Music.

Pikmin with Vitality Sensor...

That sounds... interesting. How do you figure it would work?

Datschge

gerg said:
No love for the Vitality Sensor? ; )
WiiRelax is a wild card which could become anything between Wii Fit and Wii Music. In the best scenario for Nintendo the casual majority gets the point right away and it becomes a non-stop system selling hit like Wii Fit. In the worst scenario similar to Wii Music Nintendo doesn't find an ideal way to present the product, only "experts" get the point and praise the innovation while the rest of the audience finds it unfun, uninteresting and not useful at all.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
gerg said:
Pikmin with Vitality Sensor...

That sounds... interesting. How do you figure it would work?
I have many ideas of how it would work but since we haven't seen WiiRelax yet many of them many of them may remain ideas. Wii Sports Resort was a good prologue for Zelda Wii (almost everyone was predicting Zelda Motion+ after that) and I expect the same to happen with WiiRelax. We will know if that will also be the case with Pikmin after we see WiiRelax in action.

gerg

Chris1964 said:
I have many ideas of how it would work but since we haven't seen WiiRelax yet many of them many of them may remain ideas. Wii Sports Resort was a good prologue for Zelda Wii (almost everyone was predicting Zelda Motion+ after that) and I expect the same to happen with WiiRelax. We will know if that will also be the case with Pikmin after we see WiiRelax in action.

Sure, but I'm still curious as to how information about your blood pressure, and so on, would work in an RTS. Enlighten me. : )

Chris1964 said:
Galaxy 2 will be out before summer in Japan. I don't see why Nintendo should delay it more.
I've seen this certainty about the release window for Galaxy 2 from multiple people. Where does it come from? Was there something that happened in November or December that I missed?

gerg

bmf said:
I've seen this certainty about the release window for Galaxy 2 from multiple people. Where does it come from? Was there something that happened in November or December that I missed?

There have been numerous comments from Nintendo about the game being near completion, and iirc at E3 it was said that the game was delayed for NSMB Wii in the first place.

cvxfreak said:
This seems to indicate that the 200K number for the bundles didn't pan out.

I agree. (Whew, lot of change on this one. :lol )

My estimate after we got the larger shipment numbers was that we'd probably see 120-160k sales this week with Slim + FFXIII bumps but no bundles, so I'd guess we're probably looking at 100k bundles or so? Which is a more reasonable number anyway.

ZoddGutts said:
Woah, nice sales. Looks like 1.8 million is a lock up for sure, question is will it hit 2 million?

If it's precisely as frontloaded as FFXII, it'll settle in at a LTD of 1,913,605, but it'll edge over if it's as frontloaded as FFX.

It's definitely a very strong possibility, though next week will tell us for sure.

Chuck Norris said:
But even still, being the major PS3 title it is, I wouldn't be shocked if it stays in the top 20 for awhile as the must have PS3 title with your new console.

Literally 100% of the people in Japan buying FFXIII to go along with their new PS3 will be buying used copies after the next three weeks.

gkrykewy said:
I think Nintendo must have a good amount of of unannounced software for 2010

I agree. By the end of 2010, we'll all be talking about Nintendo's unannounced 2010 software -- as in "hey, why didn't Nintendo announce any software for 2010?" :lol

Segata Sanshiro said:
I really strongly feel that the Final Fantasy franchise is on a decline regardless of choice of platform, so I'd have bet on it selling worse than XII's first week in any case.

I agree. I'd read this as a series on decline not being held back even a little bit by its platform rather than a resurgent FF stunted by being on the PS3, to be sure.

Nuclear Muffin said:
There's no way Nintendo could get rid of GCN controller support and even if they did, they'd shave of about half an inch at best, completely pointless!

I said this about GBA support! Never underestimate Nintendo's capacity for bullshit.

schuelma

bmf said:

Its not a certainty for me but I think it makes the most sense- Nintendo has said the game was pretty much done and I assume Nintendo won't go 2 years in a row without a big hitter for the 1st half in Japan.

Fularu

Banned
bmf said:

Miyamoto said that Galaxy was prety mucg done and that they could have released it this november. Instead they gave us NSMB Wii

Interesting fact, the last home system to recieve 3 Mario games was the SNES, and we all know how hugely successfull it was :p

Parl said:
Well FFX did 1.9 mil first week. FFXII did just over 1.8 mil IIRC.

200k bundles for a hugely popular game on a console that hasn't sold too great, with plenty of signs of fence sitters ready to be pulled, is simply not ballsy. I'm sure it'll be a game intended to be picked up by many people buying a PS3 on the week it launch and some weeks after. I'm not sure what would be so much more attractive about buying the console and game seperately than just getting the bundle.
So if the bundles were indeed a 200K shipment and it has sold out (by various accounts from Japan it has), then basically there are 1.7 mil copies of this bought so far? Not far behind FFX/FFXII at all (assuming that they didn't also ship bundles for those two, or ship significantly less of them, which would be accurate IIRC)

gerg

darkhunger said:
So if the bundles were indeed a 200K shipment and it has sold out (by various accounts from Japan it has), then basically there are 1.7 mil copies of this bought so far? Not far behind FFX/FFXII at all (assuming that they didn't also ship bundles for those two, or ship significantly less of them, which would be accurate IIRC)

The bundled units are accounted for in the 1.5millionsomething figure we have already. It is most likely that there were around 100k bundled PS3s shipped (and sold).

schuelma

darkhunger said:

No. First off, the 200K bundle number appears incorrect given the hardware number. Second, the 1.5M includes bundles.

onken

darkhunger said:

Oh for the love of christ.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
gerg said:
Sure, but I'm still curious as to how information about your blood pressure, and so on, would work in an RTS. Enlighten me. : )
This kind of Pikmin also requires drastic gameplay changes like Zelda Wii. For example your heart pulse determines Pikmins' attitude and the immediate or not responses to your input orders. Like I said what I think may be complete different from the final product and is pure speculation until we see WiiRelax.

bmf said:
The only reason I see for Galaxy 2 not being already out is because Nintendo thought NSMBW would have a bigger impact on hardware and gave priority to this title.

gkrykewy said:
Speaking of Pikmin, was Pikmin 2 New Play Control localized outside Japan at all? It's like NOA personally hates me.
Europe.:D

Fularu

Banned
Chris1964 said:
This kind of Pikmin also requires drastic gameplay changes like Zelda Wii. For example your heart pulse determines Pikmins' attitude and the immediate or not responses to your input orders. Like I said what I think may be complete different from the final product and is pure speculation until we see WiiRelax.

I honestly believe that done right, the Wiisensor could be the next biggest gaming enhancement device ever introduced. The notion that your stress/heartbeats could affect a game is huge. The way the game stresses you would have a direct impact on how the game unfolds and change depending on how you are/feel.

I absolutely can't wait. The Horror genre or even the FPS genre would win greatly by it.

Feeling secure in COD7? Relaxing yourself? BAM! New enemies wave spawning in random points where you aren't expecting them. Feeling stressed? Your AI team mates sense your fear or your insecurity and it propagates among them. The possibilities are nearly endless and I have faith itr could revolutionize gaming the way motion controls did

Fularu

Banned
schuelma said:
I don't think it will match that, unless the Wednesday morning leak shows Wii selling 250K or something completely insane :lol

I have faith it could totally pull off those numbers! (lalala... maybe not :p)

Nuclear Muffin said:
Two of the Wii's biggest games feature GCN controller support (Mario Kart Wii and SSBB) along with the entire library of VC games.

There's no way Nintendo could get rid of GCN controller support and even if they did, they'd shave of about half an inch at best, completely pointless!
Agreed on all counts, buuuut after dropping GBA/SLOT-2 from DSi I'm not willing to bet against it.
gkrykewy said:
Speaking of Pikmin, was Pikmin 2 New Play Control localized outside Japan at all? It's like NOA personally hates me.
Outside of Japan, yes. North America, no. Got a European/Australian release.

gerg

JoshuaJSlone said:
Agreed on all counts, buuuut after dropping GBA/SLOT-2 from DSi I'm not willing to bet against it.

Indeed. :lol

There's no way Nintendo would drop the GBA slot from the DS! Think of GBA Pokemon and all the peripherals!

gerg said:
Indeed. :lol

There's no way Nintendo would drop the GBA slot from the DS! Think of GBA Pokemon and all the peripherals!

The one thing that I'd say in favor of the GC controller ports in comparison to the GBA slot is that some high profile first party games that still sell (MKWii most prominently, but Smash too) still make use of GC pads as a very visible option. Though after the GBA SP's completely perplexing headphone port, I guess it's conceivable that they axe it and sell a $20 USB plug-in GC port. :lol

YourMaster

Fularu said:
Miyamoto said that Galaxy was pretty much done and that they could have released it this November. Instead they gave us NSMB Wii

Interesting fact, the last home system to receive 3 Mario games was the SNES, and we all know how hugely successful it was :p

If that's the case, I would really want their next console. The super wii would be the ultimate 3d console with lots of all time classics.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Fularu said:
I honestly believe that done right, the Wiisensor could be the next biggest gaming enhancement device ever introduced. The notion that your stress/heartbeats could affect a game is huge. The way the game stresses you would have a direct impact on how the game unfolds and change depending on how you are/feel.

I absolutely can't wait. The Horror genre or even the FPS genre would win greatly by it.

Feeling secure in COD7? Relaxing yourself? BAM! New enemies wave spawning in random points where you aren't expecting them. Feeling stressed? Your AI team mates sense your fear or your insecurity and it propagates among them. The possibilities are nearly endless and I have faith itr could revolutionize gaming the way motion controls did
If all those horror games or FPS are on rails, since that's all you'll be getting out of this device when it's taking up one of your hands.

They really should consider going for a wrist-based sensor instead.

Fularu

Banned
Sage00 said:
If all those horror games or FPS are on rails, since that's all you'll be getting out of this device when it's taking up one of your hands.

They really should consider going for a wrist-based sensor instead.

You can hold any kind of controller with the vitality sensor on one of your fingers. I fail to see how that would be problematic.

Also the "on rail" joke has to end at some point.

A Twisty Fluken said:
The one thing that I'd say in favor of the GC controller ports in comparison to the GBA slot is that some high profile first party games that still sell (MKWii most prominently, but Smash too) still make use of GC pads as a very visible option. Though after the GBA SP's completely perplexing headphone port, I guess it's conceivable that they axe it and sell a $20 USB plug-in GC port. :lol
It wouldn't be USB. It would be a bridge that connected a GC controller to the back of a wiimote.

Edit: Specifically, if you wanted to use 4 GC controllers, you'd need 4 bridges and 4 wiimotes as well.

gerg

Fularu said:
You can hold any kind of controller with the vitality sensor on one of your fingers. I fail to see how that would be problematic.

Also the "on rail" joke has to end at some point.

That's not the problem.

The problem is that the VS plugs into the Wii Remote. Unless Nintendo allows for two peripherals to attach to a single Wii Remote, you're stuck without a control stick.

gerg said:
That's not the problem.

The problem is that the VS plugs into the Wii Remote. Unless Nintendo allows for two peripherals to attach to a single Wii Remote, you're stuck without a control stick.
Doesn't the Wii Motion + already do pass-through? I wonder if it's a proper bus, or if it's a trick to allow a 2nd peripheral?

Fularu

Banned
gerg said:
That's not the problem.

The WM+ proves you can do it. I Don't think nintendo would prevent you using both without a passthrough system (and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the vitality sensor is wireless).

botticus

bmf said:
Doesn't the Wii Motion + already do pass-through? I wonder if it's a proper bus, or if it's a trick to allow a 2nd peripheral?
They'd just need to do the same and allow the nunchuk to plug into the vitality sensor which plugs into M+ which plugs into the remote.

gerg

Fularu said:
The WM+ proves you can do it. I Don't think nintendo would prevent you using both without a passthrough system (and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the vitality sensor is wireless).

My mistake.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
1622lat.jpg

If it still looks anything like this pic then it does not have the passthrough and is clearly not designed to have you holding something in the other hand, it's half the size of the Wiimote and looks like it's made to sit on an armrest or something not hang off your finger. Maybe they've taken some of these criticisms on board though, I know it was voiced loudly enough at E3.

botticus said:
They'd just need to do the same and allow the nunchuk to plug into the vitality sensor which plugs into M+ which plugs into the remote.
Return of the Sega tower!

Maybe I'm downplaying this too much though. I just don't have much faith in this device as a gaming accessory. I'm sure it will be extremely successful with Wii Relax and that line of bundled software, but as far as gaming applications go I really doubt your vital signs change that much during the course of a round of Call of Duty to make a significant impact, and when it gets to the point that you're just guessing from negligible changes then it's really not worth it.

gerg

Sage00 said:
Image.

If it still looks anything like this pic then it does not have the passthrough and is clearly not designed to have you holding something in the other hand, it's half the size of the Wiimote and looks like it's designed to sit on an armrest or something not hang off your finger. Maybe they've taken some of these criticisms on board though, I know it was voiced loudly enough at E3.

It wouldn't surprise me if what they showed at E3 was a very early design. I expect a proper blow-out this E3.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Fularu said:
Miyamoto said that Galaxy was prety mucg done and that they could have released it this november. Instead they gave us NSMB Wii

Interesting fact, the last home system to recieve 3 Mario games was the SNES, and we all know how hugely successfull it was :p
Super Mario World, Yoshis Island, and? I don't think Allstars should be counted as it's just a collection of NES games - as you don't count VC releases either.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Yoshi said:
Super Mario World, Yoshis Island, and? I don't think Allstars should be counted as it's just a collection of NES games - as you don't count VC releases either.
NFC: 4
NGB: 3
SFC: 2
N64: 1
GCN: 1
NDS: 1
WII: 3

cvxfreak

A Twisty Fluken said:

Interesting: eventually the Wii's hardware sales will exceed the theoretical maximum amount of GC controllers that could have ever been produced, around 85 Million. And even that assumes one GC controller per Wii system, which is obviously insufficient compared to the 4 controller ports available.

Another obvious candidate for a Wii redesign is to increase the tiny internal storage, and then finally pack in the Classic Controller Pro and Motion+ as standards.

Busaiku said:
I still wonder if Nintendo will bother with another New Super Mario Bros for DS.
Maybe next year to keep sales up.

It's possible, but I doubt it. What I think they could do is remake all the past 2D Mario titles using the visuals and engine of NSMB (essentially a New Super Mario Collection). This is what I'd like, anyway.

gerg

cvxfreak said:
Interesting: eventually the Wii's hardware sales will exceed the theoretical maximum amount of GC controllers that could have ever been produced, around 85 Million. And even that assumes one GC controller per Wii system, which is obviously insufficient compared to the 4 controller ports available.

Heh. Never thought about it that way.

Another obvious candidate for a Wii redesign is to increase the tiny internal storage, and then finally pack in the Classic Controller Pro and Motion+ as standards.

That, perhaps, sounds more reasonable.

Launch History: *updated

Final Fantasy V - 476,000 (12/1992)
Final Fantasy VI - 1,209,992 (4/1994)
Final Fantasy VII - 2,034,879 (1/1997)
Final Fantasy VIII - 2,504,044 (2/1999)
Final Fantasy IX - 1,954,421 (7/2000)
Final Fantasy X - 1,749,737 (7/2001)
Final Fantasy XI Online - 63,958 (5/2002)
Final Fantasy X-2 - 1,472,914 (3/2003)
Final Fantasy XII - 1,840,397 (3/2006)
Final Fantasy XIII - 1,516,532 w/ PS3 bundle (12/09)

Top Bottom