• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 6-13, 2009

kswiston

Here are Wii hardware sales for the first 3 weeks of December in 2007-2009. First by units, and then by weekly percentage increase.

Code:
[i]Wii weekly Hardware sales (units)[/i]
week	 2007	 2008	 2009
 49	 115.057 56.702  106.555
 50	 170.558 91.641	 135.898
 51	 232.907 131.054 ???

[i]Wii weekly Hardware sales (percentage increase)[/i]
week	 2007	 2008	 2009
 49	 115.057 56.702  106.555
 50	 +48.2%  +61.1%  +27.6%	 
 51	 +36.6%  +43.0%  ???

Percentage increase for Week 50 over Week 49 was the lowest in 2009 out of the 3 years. Most likely due to increased Wii hardware demand for the week 49 (NSMB Wii launch week).

- If this weeks Wii hardware sales increase at the same rate as 2007, Wii hardware for the week will be 185.6k
- If this weeks Wii hardware sales increase at the same rate as 2008, Wii hardware for the week will be 194.3k

With this in mind, I guess 180-190k would be the expected Wii sales for the week. I don't see the Wii breaking 200k, but it will still have a good week.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
AMoreHumbleSquare said:
Launch History: *updated

Final Fantasy V - 476,000 (12/1992)
Final Fantasy VI - 1,209,992 (4/1994)
Final Fantasy VII - 2,034,879 (1/1997)
Final Fantasy VIII - 2,504,044 (2/1999)
Final Fantasy IX - 1,954,421 (7/2000)
Final Fantasy X - 1,749,737 (7/2001)
Final Fantasy XI Online - 63,958 (5/2002)
Final Fantasy X-2 - 1,472,914 (3/2003)
Final Fantasy XII - 1,840,397 (3/2006)
Final Fantasy XIII - 1,761,938 w/ PS3 bundle (12/009)
What's your source for Final Fantasy V and VI?

Busaiku

AMoreHumbleSquare said:

Final Fantasy XIII - 1,761,938 w/ PS3 bundle (12/009)
The 1.5 million includes the bundle sales.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
cvxfreak said:
Another obvious candidate for a Wii redesign is to increase the tiny internal storage, and then finally pack in the Classic Controller Pro and Motion+ as standards.

Yeah I've been advocating that for a while.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
AMoreHumbleSquare said:
I have some of the Top 30 charts.
If you have them and want to share them post the charts in these threds, since there aren't anywhere else. I guess you have found them from a reliable source.

Rolf NB

cvxfreak said:
It's possible, but I doubt it. What I think they could do is remake all the past 2D Mario titles using the visuals and engine of NSMB (essentially a New Super Mario Collection). This is what I'd like, anyway.
They could totally call it New Super Mario All Stars.

Just the important titles for the week of 11/30/1992:
Code:
11/30/92
                                  [U]Famitsu raw: x15.5[/U]
1 SFC	Final Fantasy V	Square	30685	 475,618 	New
2 FC	Rockman 5         Capcom	3885	 60,218 	New
3 SFC	Super Mario Kart	Nintendo	2930	 45,415 	
4 SFC	Fatal Fury Legend	Takara	2569	 39,820 	
5 SFC	Dragon Quest V	Enix	2165	 33,558 	
6 GB	Super Mario Land 2	Nintendo	1585	 24,568 	
7 SFC	Mickey Magical Adv	Capcom	1510	 23,405 	
8 FC	Yoshi's Cookie	Nintendo	1328	 20,584 	
9 SFC	Street Fighter II	Capcom	1301	 20,166 	
10 MD	Sonic 2           Sega	737	 11,424 	
11 GB	Yoshi's Cookie	Nintendo	709	 10,990 	
12 GB	Super Mario World	Nintendo	664	 10,292 	
13 SFC	SanGoku Shi III	Koei	597	 9,254 	
14 SFC	Human Grand Prix	Human	491	 7,611 	
15 FC	Super Mario USA	Nintendo	482	 7,471

Fularu

Banned
Yoshi said:
Super Mario World, Yoshis Island, and? I don't think Allstars should be counted as it's just a collection of NES games - as you don't count VC releases either.

All starts had ALL the games remade. It's new as far as I'm concerned. And Lost Levels was a new release for North America and Europe :p

AMoreHumbleSquare said:

Final Fantasy XIII - 1,516,532 w/ PS3 bundle (12/09)
*fixed

Xeke

Banned
AMoreHumbleSquare said:
Wow! So the lowest debut since FFVI, 15 years ago.

And that makes me wonder why everyone is orgasming to it. What I've seen so far is...

MH3 - Outsells two previous games and is near selling out its first shipment. Disappointment to GAF.

FFXIII - Does worse first week than any mainline game in 15 years, will be near selling out its first shipment. OMG amazing sales!

Is it just because everyone has accepted that PS3 sequels wont ever live up to their past sales?

DMeisterJ

Banned
Xeke said:
And that makes me wonder why everyone is orgasming to it. What I've seen so far is...

MH3 - Outsells two previous games and is near selling out its first shipment. Disappointment to GAF.

FFXIII - Does worse first week than any mainline game in 15 years, will be near selling out its first shipment. OMG amazing sales!

Is it just because everyone has accepted that PS3 sequels wont ever live up to their past sales?
Why do you have to throw so many qualifications onto the games to make them seem un/successful?

You seeminly leave out the fact that MHP, MHP2, and MHP2G all sold more than 3, and have had immensely better legs, and you also leave out how XIII has outsold X-2... Which is as main as any other title.

It's easy to drop information to make a point. Let's try it.

TH:Ride is the highest selling and highest reviewed skateboarding game with Tony Hawk in the title with a skateboard peripheral ever. :/

Xeke

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
Why do you have to throw so many qualifications onto the games to make them seem un/successful?

You seeminly leave out the fact that MHP, MHP2, and MHP2G all sold more than 3, and have had immensely better legs, and you also leave out how XIII has outsold X-2... Which is as main as any other title.

It's easy to drop information to make a point. Let's try it.

TH:Ride is the highest selling and highest reviewed skateboarding game with Tony Hawk in the title with a skateboard peripheral ever. :/

Because MH3 and FFXIII are the two biggest third party releases of the year on their respective consoles. MHP, MHP2 and MHP2 are portable games and thus are different beasts.

X-2 is as mainline as other except that it is X-2 and not XI and you're lying to yourself if you don't think it would have sold just a little better had it been XI and not X-2. I guess we could rejoice that it outsole Revenant Wings because I mean thats FFXII, but that would be a portable title which I'm not using in the comparison.

And what do you mean qualifications? I simply compared sales in relation to their predecessors and their shipments. I do believe PS2 user-base was around what the PS3 has when X released.

gerg

DMeisterJ said:

I've got an idea! Let's discuss the differences between console MH and portable MH one more time! /smh

faridmon

amazing sales for FF XIII, if any title would be considered a system seller its FF XIII and MGS 2 for the PS2.

i think i will be the last person on the prediction ranking since i expected to sell 800k firs week :lol

as for the next year, i think Nintendo is screwed. With both DS and the Wii. they haven't announced lot of titles. They may have lot of new and exciting gamers to announce next year, but its a moot. if you don't announce and hype your game up way before release, it will never sell and hence it will never sell Hardware.

Evergreen titles for non-causal games sucks and it appears that Nintendo haven't learned their lessons.

now third parties sees PS3 viable in Japan, and with the western strategies, it will only strengthen that type of strategy (along with porting games to the 360). Honestly, wherever you see, the Wii is screwed in Japan, they had many chances this holiday season.
-they could have ridden to the success of the MH Tri by make Namco and Koi release ToG and SW 3 after that, but no they had to let the Wii lose the momentum and see it sell sub 30k
- The could have released more tiles along with NSBM. Pokemon sold ok, other could have the chances to sell at least that amount and will tell the people that the Wii have more than 1 big title for the holydays.
- I am not sure that anyone will agree with this, but Nintendo is much better of to secure lesser IPs as thier exclusive titles.Titles such Suikoden, Breath of Fire, Ridge Racer, Soul Calibur, Grandia, Street Fuighter Alpha series, maybe ask azura to revive Shadow Heart, hope for From Software titles to develop more on the Wii which means more Otogi, Tenchu and maybe Armored Core. those games may and probably will never sell well if released but 1) they were never intended to be big budget games and will never have any big expectation and 2) will make the hardcore gamers in Japan and even casual to say '' you know what, the Wii have a varied titles might as well try out that and that''

It may sound far fetched and i don't expect anyone to agree with this, but the bottom line is, Nintendo is the company that managed to think of a strategy that made them to be one of the biggest companies in the world and could have ridden their 2007 and 2008 momentum into this year, but they didn't, and this appears to be a missed opportunity and a scar on the Wii that may never heal. The scar of a Casual console.

So a junior called AMoreHumbleSquare with old famitsu magazines with points system and an obsession for FFVI 15 years ago comparisons.

I wonder who it is.

It'd be kinda easier if he had a NPDFunworld logo as avatar, wouldn't it?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
So a junior called AMoreHumbleSquare with old famitsu magazines with points system and an obsession for FFVI 15 years ago comparisons.

I wonder who it is.

I didn't even notice. Hahaha.

cvxfreak said:
It's possible, but I doubt it. What I think they could do is remake all the past 2D Mario titles using the visuals and engine of NSMB (essentially a New Super Mario Collection). This is what I'd like, anyway.
I could dig that. I could also dig NSMBDS getting a Wiiware port.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
donny2112 said:
Battle Clash on SNES Super Scope.

Edit:
You could even make it its own section, since there're two games in the series on SNES. Both of them need to come to Wii, too. :p

I don't know how I missed that one, I've got all the other SNES Super Scope games listed. *shrugs*

gerg said:
A reference from before I posted, I presume...?

Quite a while before.

Busaiku

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

I wonder who it is.

Oh wow, I did not even think of that.

faridmon

bmf said:
I could dig that. I could also dig NSMBDS getting a Wiiware port.
oh come on don't give them ideas, i am getting tired of Mario titles now (but every one is doing fine with them)

i would love to see other titles, but this is Nintendo we are talking about :/

DMeisterJ

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:

I wonder who it is.

Hehehe

Hilarious

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:

I wonder who it is.

Well, that took a while for me to realise, but hey, I know now, heh.
gerg said:
So... what did this particular poster do so long ago that has made him infamous?
Let's just say that he liked posting certain "data" that wasn't exactly kosher, repeatedly.

Parl

faridmon said:
amazing sales for FF XIII, if any title would be considered a system seller its FF XIII and MGS 2 for the PS2.

i think i will be the last person on the prediction ranking since i expected to sell 800k firs week :lol

Randon jankle.
I don't think it was a good idea to start with admitting a prediction of 800k FW for FF13 then go on to predict what would be best for Nintendo to do for the future. I don't understand how you came about your prediction without having a massive bias somewhere, but that would be the opposite bias as calling 1.5 million amazing sales for the first main FF in 4 years.

The sales are definitely good, though expected. I'd expect a significant but relatively minor drop, not a collossal drop for something like the first main Final Fantasy game in 4 years coming out in the holiday.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:

I wonder who it is.

Blast from the past.

Xeke

Banned
Stop It said:
Well, that took a while for me to realise, but hey, I know now, heh.

Let's just say that he liked posting certain "data" that wasn't exactly kosher, repeatedly.

I did always wonder how to pronounce ioi.

d+pad

cvxfreak said:
What I think they could do is remake all the past 2D Mario titles using the visuals and engine of NSMB (essentially a New Super Mario Collection). This is what I'd like, anyway.

I hate the whoring out of Mario in general, but I have to say I'd be interested in remakes of SMB 1, 2 and 3 using the NSMB Wii engine.

faridmon said:
They may have lot of new and exciting gamers to announce next year, but its a moot. if you don't announce and hype your game up way before release, it will never sell and hence it will never sell Hardware.

NSMB Wii was announced at E3 and released, what, five months later? Wii Fit Plus was announced at the same time (I think) and released even earlier. You're right that they do this too often and it doesn't always work (see games like Captain Rainbow, ExciteBots, etc.), but to say it never works isn't correct.

donny2112

Stop It said:

I don't recall him doing that too much. He did do the "adjusted" 1993/1994 U.S. data, but I thought that was fine, since it was all in fun, and he talked about the adjustment factor, too, IIRC. I think Square2005's main problem was his provocation of mods/Admins, particularly concerning the NPD agreement NeoGAF made, and then the subsequent ban evasions. If this is a "more humble" Square, then at least the first part might be better.

Xeke said:
I did always wonder how to pronounce ioi.

"Broshnat"

faridmon

Parl said:
I don't think it was a good idea to start with admitting a prediction of 800k FW for FF13 then go on to predict what would be best for Nintendo to do for the future. I don't understand how you came about your prediction without having a massive bias somewhere, but that would be the opposite bias as calling 1.5 million amazing sales for the first main FF in 4 years.

The sales are definitely good, though expected. I'd expect a significant but relatively minor drop, not a collossal drop for something like the first main Final Fantasy game in 4 years coming out in the holiday.
the bloody hell?

prediction of numbers are different than commenting on something noticeable.

- games that have been announced a month or 2 month before will never sell good and it happened.
- the numbers are good for a PS3 exclusive title. I am well aware of the franchise trembling downwards. Also i like how you said that i didn't know that while criticize my low prediction.
- mind you not a single game sold a million LTD on the platform and my prediction was extrapolated based on that trend.
-
if by bias you mean as a fanboyism, i am a big Nintendo fan.
- and you are contradicting yourself there. '' I knew it was big and its amazing sales, but its not impressive anyway''
-also chill out man, its just what i think and i will be probably wrong, right Nintendo?

faridmon

d+pad said:
I hate the whoring out of Mario in general, but I have to say I'd be interested in remakes of SMB 1, 2 and 3 using the NSMB Wii engine.

NSMB Wii was announced at E3 and released, what, five months later? Wii Fit Plus was announced at the same time (I think) and released even earlier. You're right that they do this too often and it doesn't always work (see games like Captain Rainbow, ExciteBots, etc.), but to say it never works isn't correct.
yeah wrong wording there. it work for thier bigger titles that they manage to actually advertise on their day of release but for the lesser ones nope.

Tact of Magic and Sin & Punishment 2 deserve better sales dammit.:(

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
donny2112 said:
I don't recall him doing that too much. He did do the "adjusted" 1993/1994 U.S. data, but I thought that was fine, since it was all in fun, and he talked about the adjustment factor, too, IIRC. I think Square2005's main problem was his provocation of mods/Admins, particularly concerning the NPD agreement NeoGAF made, and then the subsequent ban evasions. If this is a "more humble" Square, then at least the first part might be better.
"Broshnat"
Good points, although his eventual final ban was in an NPD prediction thread for posting said data, but yes, it was more than just that.

Anyway, I don't hold grudges, but plenty of people here may, so as long as this "humble" Square keeps his head down, I'm sure he'll do OK>

Anyway, I haven't posted here for a while (A shame as MC was the very reason I joined GAF), but the next few weeks will be interesting. Oh, and after reading some of the drama earlier, I am glad cvx saw the light. Don't give up just because of some mouthy idiots!
Jokeropia said:
It's not ioi.
I didn't say he was! (I know exactly who it is, but a few people here clearly do not, it's fun).

gerg

faridmon said:
Tact of Magic and Sin & Punishment 2 deserve better sales dammit.:(

Perhaps. But I think that, in general, people simply have too high expectations for these titles. They were always going to be niche games, and the question is how to effectively maximise their. After a point, advertising would be pointless.

u_neek

It'll be interesting to follow FFXIII's sales - it's certantly off to a good start.

2m+ LTD won't be problem imo.

markatisu

d+pad said:

I am not sure Captain Rainbow would have sold well even given 1 year and a ton of advertising

test_account

XP-39C²
RaijinFY said:
Really?
Well that's pretty disappointing if so...
In what way is it pretty disappointing that a PS3 game sells about 1.5 million copies 1 week? :)

AMoreHumbleSquare said:
Wow! So the lowest debut since FFVI, 15 years ago.
It is indeed the lowest debut for a main Final Fantasy game in 15 years as you say. I also found it interesting that FFXIII is the first main Final Fantasy game that isnt on a leading console (leading as in the most sold console in a console generation). I havnt thought about this before.

Xeke said:

I would guess that it has something to do with hardware sales. The Wii is has a ~5 million installbase lead on the PS3 installbase. The Wii is looked at as successful in hardware sales while the PS3 was looked at as "lol sub 10k hardware weekly sales". Then seeing a PS3 game sell over 1.5 million copies in 1 week is probably a surprise to people, even if it is a main Final Fantasy game.

I dont know if everyone has accepted it, but i would guess that at least many people has accepted that PS3 sequels wont sell as well as previous games in a serie as you mention. If i remember correctly, i think that some people predicted that FFXIII would get a LTD on something around 1.5 million when it was all said and done, and so far, FFXIII has sold that much in 1 week.

I think that it is a while ago since i saw these predictions though, but i guess that some people didnt think that a PS3 game (even if it was a main Final Fantasy game) could sell abut 1.5 million copies in 1 week because of the low PS3 hardware sales and the lower PS3 installbase. I would guess that this might be why people are more surprised and/or impressed by the FFXIII software sales numbers compared to the MH3 software sales numbers :)

EDIT: I added some text.

faridmon

gerg said:
Perhaps. But I think that, in general, people simply have too high expectations for these titles. They were always going to be niche games, and the question is how to effectively maximise their. After a point, advertising would be pointless.
perhaps, but when your first one sells better on a less popular console and is consider as niche, you know there is a problem.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Kurosaki Ichigo said:

I wonder who it is.

I have thought of that, but are we sure he is Square?

Top Bottom