• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 6-13, 2009

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
::Remembers back a short few months ago when some people were adament that Tales HD would never happen again and that more Wii Tales were guaranteed::

Man, how times have changed.

grandjedi6 said:
::Remembers back a short few months ago when some people were adament that Tales HD would never happen again and that more Wii Tales were guaranteed::

Man, how times have changed.

Did people actually think that? I thought it was obvious they'd be working on another HD Tales regardless if Graces was a smashing success or not. Similarly that Team Destiny would make another Wii one whether Graces was a smashing success or not (unless it totally bombed which it didn't). Most people who keep up with Tales would probably agree with me.

tehbear

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Use as walls for advertising - check

ike14.jpg

Build houses with them - next step

mwtag3.jpg

Sell out of bricks due to...

b5ktfo.jpg

+5 Media Create Sales

Road

Is the guy a fan or just a scalper who forgot to check there are 200,000 bundles available?

And the 2 million sold report...

faridmon

Y2Kev said:
We have a new "I have Three PS3s" guy
I really hope he doesn't buy it just to increase the numbers of the sales in Media-Create.
actually now that i think about, i hope he actually buy it just for the sake of that, that would be hilarious:lol

not that i am offending him or anything, right?

Loudninja

faridmon said:
I really hope he doesn't buy it just to increase the numbers of the sales in Media-Create.
actually now that i think about, i hope he actually buy it just for the sake of that, that would be hilarious:lol

He is most likely buying them to resell them at an insane price.

faridmon said:

If someone's a big enough tool to buy extra copies for the sake of boosting sales figures then he deserves to be made fun of. I think the more likely explanation though is that he's keeping the extra's in-box and hope they sell on ebay for double in the coming weeks.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Not to go hippie or anything, but... Let's grant him the one special edition PS3 because he needs one to play. Now let's grant him one for storage.

3 PS3s is $1200 US, give or take. Oxfam Canada tells me I can buy a sheep for donating to an area with inadequate food for $58. A chicken for $15. A donkey for $120. A sturdy bicycle for $105. Emergency toilets for $100. 3 household emergency kits for $25. A radio for $15. 9 bags of seeds for $30. Solar panels for $110. A tool kit for $39. Safe water for $22. Mosquito nets to prevent malaria for $20. Training for ten workers who promote women's rights for $60. The SPCA says it costs $5 for a cat/dog rabies vaccination, $10 for Bordetella, and $15 for Leukemia. If you want to go local, $1200 donated to your alma mater would almost certainly be matched to provide an entrance scholarship for an underprivileged child. $1200 would provide hygenic items, pillows, blankets, and clothing for an entire women's shelter for the Christmas holidays.

Alternatively, $1200 would buy you _20_ full price new release games. It'd be a month and a half of rent for this chump. It'd be car payments for three or four months.

Yes, I have absolutely no problem calling a guy who bought 5 FF13 PS3s a dumbass, from no matter what angle. If he's a scalper, he gets some bonus dumbass points if this backfires on him.

Loudninja said:
He is most likely buying them to resell them at an insane price.

yeah but those sales won't count toward MC! lol. actually, remember the original Xbox halo edition? ( not the 360, but the original Xbox ) I remember those consoles going for $600 on ebay at one point. It never hurts to buy limited editions in hopes of a supply shortage.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised Love Plus dropped. I guess after SAL 9000 married his virtual girlfriend there's was no need for him to look further. Now, all he needs is Love Cheater Plus.

Cipherr

farnham said:
also their mainline mothership always changes

first its vesperia on HD then its innocence and hearts on the DS and now its Graces on the Wii...

its way to confusing.. even for a Talesfan..

I agree with this. Any buffing ToG as a mainline entry (so it should have sold better) is ridiculous. Who the hell can keep track. How many times have the mainlines in tales jumped platforms this gen?

However, mainline or not Graces still bombed.

Puncture said:
I agree with this. Any buffing ToG as a mainline entry (so it should have sold better) is ridiculous. Who the hell can keep track. How many times have the mainlines in tales jumped platforms this gen?

However, mainline or not Graces still bombed.

It bombed despite it obviously making money for Namco.

And so I go back to saying GAF has weird definitions of bombs as I said earlier.

onken

Insane buyers aside, it's pretty remarkable that those bundle mountains are actually selling out.

Bel Marduk said:

And so I go back to saying GAF has weird definitions of bombs as I said earlier.

Obviously? Really?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Bel Marduk said:

How could you possibly say its made money for Namco already?

I don't like throwing bomb around lightly as I think that should be reserved for the Crystal Bearers of the world, but the first week number is very bad indeed.

schuelma

onken said:
Insane buyers aside, it's pretty remarkable that those bundle mountains are actually selling out.

Maybe I'm missing something, but how do we know the bundle is selling out?

[Nintex]

onken said:
If all 200k sell out there's pretty much no point in predicting anymore. The Japanese market is as unpredictable as the Wii third party market.

Who cares about ToG, really? When you've just eaten a big steak (NSMBWii) and are now looking to the deserts (FF13), it's easy to overlook the salad (ToG). The game looked like shit anyway and no one respects Namco as a developer anymore. It bombing doesn't phase me one bit; just as long as Mario is on top and selling, fuck the rest.

onken

schuelma said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but how do we know the bundle is selling out?

The picture above the 5 console loony says its sold out in that particular Softmap.

schuelma

NintendosBooger said:
Who cares about ToG, really? When you've just eaten a big steak (NSMBWii) and are now looking to the deserts (FF13), it's easy to overlook the salad (ToG). The game looked like shit anyway and no one respects Namco as a developer anymore. It bombing doesn't phase me one bit; just as long as Mario is on top and selling, fuck the rest.

I'm about to stop defending Wii 3rd party sales on principle pretty soon.

schuelma said:
How could you possibly say its made money for Namco already?

I don't like throwing bomb around lightly as I think that should be reserved for the Crystal Bearers of the world, but the first week number is very bad indeed.

Because I find it hard to believe that a game priced at 7000 some yen (I believe, or 6000 some) that sold 143k copies, with additional bundle royalties from whatever the bundle sold, and DLC wouldn't have made Namco some profit at this point even if it's little.

And if for some reason it didn't now, it will soon.

There's a difference between "disappointing" and "bomba," a word that GAF likes to throw around often for multiple games that aren't. CC is definitely one though.

NintendosBooger said:

"I hate good games." From impressions it's far from shit. Of course, you may not like RPG and think that way.

gkryhewy

NintendosBooger said:

ToG looks great actually, and was well reviewed. But yeah, Namco really shat the bed this gen. All of their big properties have fallen off a cliff. Bright spots are pretty much only ToV (combined) and.... We Ski? Yeah.

gunther

Tales of Graces is not bomb, the game sold what? 70% of what people where expecting, its disapointing, bad sales if you want, but not a bomb. Besides the future of mainline tales will be decided by the western market asumming that the game will be ported.

Rolf NB

Road said:
I was seeing in the other thread they didn't even release World at War before MW2. I can't imagine they'd bother releasing Reflex.

I know that doesn't answer your question...
Yeah, unless it's been mentioned in Famitsu or something, it's probably hard to say definitely.
I was just thinking -- and I hate to use the word now, damnit -- the success of MW2 may have turned some heads.

[Nintex]

Bel Marduk said:
Because I find it hard to believe that a game priced at 7000 some yen (I believe, or 6000 some) that sold 143k copies, with additional bundle royalties from whatever the bundle sold, and DLC wouldn't have made Namco some profit at this point even if it's little.

And if for some reason it didn't now, it will soon.

There's a difference between "disappointing" and "bomba," a word that GAF likes to throw around often for multiple games that aren't. CC is definitely one though.

"I hate good games." From impressions it's far from shit. Of course, you may not like RPG and think that way.
Graces 'bombed', no other way tot spin it. This wasn't some hacked SEGA project or Cavia railshooter either. The game was announced by Satoru Iwata at the end of 2008. Namco made sure that everyone knew it was a mainline title. The game has DLC, DS connectivity and more features that took extra time to develop. Not to mention the battle system is new and they didn't recycle much from other Tales games. It pretty much got the Monster Hunter treatment from Nintendo with the bundles but Namco somehow completely blew it.

schuelma

[Nintex] said:
It pretty much got the Monster Hunter treatment from Nintendo with the bundles but Namco somehow completely blew it.

I don't know if I would go that far- for Monster Hunter Nintendo unveiled the first new console color on its launch and designed and launched a controller specifically aimed at enticing the Monster Hunter audience.

[Nintex] said:
Graces 'bombed', no other way tot spin it. This wasn't some hacked SEGA project or Cavia railshooter either. The game was announced by Satoru Iwata at the end of 2008. Namco made sure that everyone knew it was a mainline title. The game has DLC, DS connectivity and more features that took extra time to develop. Not to mention the battle system is new and they didn't recycle much from other Tales games. It pretty much got the Monster Hunter treatment from Nintendo with the bundles but Namco somehow completely blew it.

It's only a bomb if it lost money. You really think the game will lose money with 200k+ copies sold, bundles, and DLC? Not likely. Like I said twice already, GAF has a weird way of describing a bomb.

Edit: This is getting nowhere.

[Nintex]

schuelma said:
I don't know if I would go that far- for Monster Hunter Nintendo unveiled the first new console color on its launch and designed and launched a controller specifically aimed at enticing the Monster Hunter audience.
True, but Namco had more support than say Sonic and the Black Knight or Valhalla Knights. Even to them this seemed like a pretty big deal.

Bel Marduk said:
It's only a bomb if it lost money. You really think the game will lose money with 200k+ copies sold, bundles, and DLC? Not likely. Like I said twice already, GAF has a weird way of describing a bomb.

The problem is that it didn't sell 200k, unless it has some legs Namco is fucked because they're caught right in the middle of the Final Fantasy XIII blitzkrieg

[Nintex] said:
True, but Namco had more support than say Sonic and the Black Knight or Valhalla Knights. Even to them this seemed like a pretty big deal.

The problem is that it didn't sell 200k

But it WILL sell 200k+. Still I doubt 200k is the benchmark for profit.

Either way this is getting nowhere and this argument is longwinded so I'm not gonna bother anymore. Just I'm gonna disagree.

Still think Namco are idiots.

schuelma said:
I'm about to stop defending Wii 3rd party sales on principle pretty soon.

Hey, that's your call, bud! I've seen examples of third party success on. the Wii so I know that the machine isn't a blackhole for non-Nintendo developers. It's a blackhole for scrubby developers with no creativity or skill who made their fortunes this generation by recycling their PS2 efforts with prettier graphics, but that shit won't fly on the Wii. ToG looks like a piece of anime crap anyway. The Wii userbase might be starving for RPGs and all, but not even a starving man will lower himself by consuming dung to support himself.

Go Mario!

NintendosBooger said:
Hey, that's your call, bud! I've seen examples of third party success on the Wii so I know that the machine isn't a blackhole for non-Nintendo developers. It's a blackhole for scrubby developers with no creativity or skill who made their fortunes this generation by recycling their PS2 efforts with prettier graphics, but that shit won't fly on the Wii. ToG looks like a piece of anime crap anyway. The Wii userbase might be starving for RPGs and all, but not even a starving man will lower himself by consuming dung to support himself.

You don't really like JRPGs in general, do you? :/

Dragon

Banned
NintendosBooger said:
It's a blackhole for scrubby developers with no creativity or skill who made their fortunes this generation by recycling their PS2 efforts with prettier graphics, but that shit won't fly on the Wii.

I don't even know what to say to this :lol

Brofist

Bel Marduk said:

And you have an oversimplified definition of what makes a game successful.

kpop100 said:
And you have an oversimplified definition of what makes a game successful.

My definition is the same definition that publishers use too. "Did we get money?"

Simplified? Yes. But truthful? Also yes.

MechaX

NintendosBooger said:
Hey, that's your call, bud! I've seen examples of third party success on. the Wii so I know that the machine isn't a blackhole for non-Nintendo developers. It's a blackhole for scrubby developers with no creativity or skill who made their fortunes this generation by recycling their PS2 efforts with prettier graphics, but that shit won't fly on the Wii. ToG looks like a piece of anime crap anyway. The Wii userbase might be starving for RPGs and all, but not even a starving man will lower himself by consuming dung to support himself.

Go Mario!

... Did the Media Create thread just turn into an NPD thread? That's about the only place where I would expect this kind of response.

Brofist

Bel Marduk said:
My definition is the same definition that publishers use too. "Did we get money?"

Simplified? Yes. But truthful? Also yes.

If a game pulls a profit, but falls well short of expectations I think most would consider it a failure of sorts.

Top Bottom