• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 15 - 21

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Phife Dawg said:
It's not like Viva sold well in other regions. They probably didn't expect significant sales and just translated it to expand the numbers of available titles. I don't think a massive ad campaign would have helped Viva's cause.
Japanese residents know this better but I get the feeling X360 in Japan is really a "hardcore gamer" and "otaku" type of console, a game like Viva probably won't float the boat of that audience.

Many say that had Atsumare! Pinata (I couldn't resist using the Japanese name) been released on a Nintendo console, sales would have been significantly better....Maybe GEARS OF WAR JPN "BETTER"!

:lol

That's too bad. As it stands, blood and guns win again. ****!

Jonnyram

The Pinatas are just not appealing to Japanese people. It's as simple as that. Many would say they actually look creepy to Japanese.

Congratz to gears, I hope it at least made its localisation cost back.

Looks like wii will still be selling well, 360 could go back over 10,000. Looks like PS3 will be less than 50K.

909er

Numbers posted in 2ch forum's harware thread.

Unconfirmed, but what the hell.

Wii 87,360
DSL 114,002
PSP 35,274
PS3 21,192
PS2 28,491
Xbox360 10,164

909er

AniHawk said:
That'd be sad if true. You know things would have to be pretty bad if the PSP was your top selling platform.

I'd be more worried about PS3 edging ever closer to the Xbox 360 (if true, again, unconfirmed, but speculation is fun). With the PS3 release schdule, could the Xbox 360 actually beat the PS3 sometime this year?

SPEA

909er said:

Wii 87,360
DSL 114,002
PSP 35,274
PS3 21,192
PS2 28,491
Xbox360 10,164
sweet lord. im waiting and shal not believe till i see the legit numbers. but wow.

farnham

Banned
909er said:

Wii 87,360
DSL 114,002
PSP 35,274
PS3 21,192
PS2 28,491
Xbox360 10,164

my predictions

wii: less then 100k more then 50k
DS : more then 100k
PSP : less then 50k
PS2 : less then 50k
PS3: around 30k
X360: around 30k

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5409572&postcount=1211

about right if these numbers are right.. although PSP and PS2 are lower then i thought..

I hope those numbers aren't true. While I think it's cool that Nintendo has returned to prominence in Japan, seeing the PS3 tread water like that could really hurt a lot of Japanese 3rd parties.

I'd also be pretty surprised if Nintendo actually managed to ship that many Wiis -- then again, they claim to have 800k sitting in warehouses after Christmas.

u_neek

soundwave05 said:
I hope those numbers aren't true. While I think it's cool that Nintendo has returned to prominence in Japan, seeing the PS3 tread water like that could really hurt a lot of Japanese 3rd parties.
Agreed! I want some more big epic next-gen looking RPGs. Not just waggle 'em ups!

cvxfreak

NO SHORTAGES PEOPLE

Just in case anyone was STILL wondering.

On Amazon JP, the 20GB PS3 isn't even in the top 100 while several PSP and PStwo models as well as the 360 Premium Pack are up there. In stock PS3 sits at #50. Only the metallic blue PSP is higher than the 60GB PS3.

909er said:

Wii 87,360
DSL 114,002
PSP 35,274
PS3 21,192
PS2 28,491
Xbox360 10,164

If true:
mediacreate.gif

Odysseus

Banned
87k for wii looks about right, given the typical tie-ratio of wii sports sales. it should at least be in that neighborhood.

Avalon

909er said:

Wii 87,360
DSL 114,002
PSP 35,274
PS3 21,192
PS2 28,491
Xbox360 10,164

Is this truly the end...?

Dante

cvxfreak said:
NO SHORTAGES PEOPLE

Just in case anyone was STILL wondering.

On Amazon JP, the 20GB PS3 isn't even in the top 100 while several PSP and PStwo models as well as the 360 Premium Pack are up there. In stock PS3 sits at #50. Only the metallic blue PSP is higher than the 60GB PS3.

Jesus it's $600 how much do you think it's gonna sell? You think Sony is just winging this? It's an 8-10 year lifespan according to various sources.

GhaleonEB

Dante said:
Jesus it's $600 how much do you think it's gonna sell? You think Sony is just winging this? It's an 8-10 year lifespan according to various sources.
Is this sarcasm? If anyone predicted the PS3 would be selling at these levels a month ago they'd be strung up by their entrails.

cvxfreak

Dante said:

NOT WITH DISCOUNTS LOLOL

Likewise, even the MSRP is not $600.

ethelred

u_neek said:
Agreed! I want some more big epic next-gen looking RPGs. Not just waggle 'em ups!

It's not like RPGs are going to wither away if a Sony console isn't on the top of the sales charts, you know.

Dante said:

And who's going to buy the games for the first five years of that 8-10 year lifespan if this is how the machine's going to sell? And if no one buys the games, who's going to keep making them?

Dante

GhaleonEB said:
Is this sarcasm? If anyone predicted the PS3 would be selling at these levels a month ago they'd be strung up by their entrails.

Were you not in the Sony press conference thread during E3? Once the price was announced the bail out button got worn to a nub. $600 will Never EVER do PS2 type numbers.

Edit: before I get lynched what is the actual Japanese PS3 60gb conversion $540??

Tieno

Dante said:
Were you not in the Sony press conference thread during E3? Once the price was announced the bail out button got worn to a nub. $600 will Never EVER do PS2 type numbers.
People were saying "who cares, it'll still sell out"

If true Yikes at PS3 number, i've always said price would be a factor, but had no idea that PS3 would be failing so miserably in Japan, no way would i have ever imagined

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Gahiggidy said:
HOLY SMOKES!! That is AMAZING. 33,212 games were sold?! Rerally? That's not a typo. Unbelievable. But probably true. Congratulatioins to Cliffy B. and the men and women at Microsoft Games Studios. Gears of War's Japanese perfermance is truley remarakable. Wow... just, wow. I'm not too knowledgable about video games sales (or the japanese)... but I know a BIG NUMBER when I see one. and 33, 212 is a very big number. Think about that... thirty-three thousand and two-hundred and twelve japanese people bought Gears of War. That just mind-boggling... it truely is. I mean, how many people even live in Japan? 300,000? Wow. That means one-and-ten Japanesers already owns a copy of "Gears of War" (a sales record?). Just an awesome sales performance for an awesome game. Its scary how well the Xbox 360 has been doing lately. 'SaleScary'!
1150325224454.gif

The PS3 Core isn't actually that much more than the PS2 launch price, which was closer to $400 over there.

I think Sony's main problem is their software is hurting. Ridge Racer isn't really that mainstream of a franchise anymore I don't think ... not to the point where it can carry a console launch any longer.

Also, the Blu-Ray factor is not giving them the sales jump that DVD gave the PS2. Still Sony should not be having this much trouble selling 1 million PS3s in Japan.

I think sales will see a bigger jump once that Gundam game comes out. Until then, Nintendo can just build a nice sized lead for themselves and ready their second wave of Wii Fitness/Music/Karaoke/Sports 2/etc. titles.

GhaleonEB

Dante said:
The initial reaction was anarchy, yes. But a lot of people still thought (think?) that price was not much of a factor with the PS3, given the pedigree. I've been saying that it would be, but I'm very, very surprised at the degree to which it seems to be hindering sales. The scenario painted in those numbers isn't a pretty one. Of course, the software situation isn't helping.

farnham

Banned
Dante said:

iwata said GC will have a 10 year lifespan...

the lifespan depends on how well the console sells

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If that is for real... it is just insane that the PS3 is only selling double the Xbox 360 in Japan. I know there isn't much to play on it and it is expensive, but the average person in Japan doesn't even know the Xbox 360 exists whereas everyone knows what a Playstation is and the PS3 was constantly in the news around its release.

Madness.

If the PS3 ever hits 4 digits (highly unlikely) there will be so much chaos on the 2ch boards that the Internet will probably break.

cvxfreak said:
No one really wants the Core though. That's the problem.

Are you sure this is neccessarily true in Japan? The "Core" PS3 is a lot different from the XBox 360 Core and comes with more in the box than the PS2 ever did.

maxmars

909er said:

Wii 87,360
DSL 114,002
PSP 35,274
PS3 21,192
PS2 28,491
Xbox360 10,164

しのし

This thread will ignite. :lol

Dante

GhaleonEB said:
The initial reaction was anarchy, yes. But a lot of people still thought (think?) that price was not much of a factor with the PS3, given the pedigree. I've been saying that it would be, but I'm very, very surprised at the degree to which it seems to be hindering sales. The scenario painted in those numbers isn't a pretty one. Of course, the software situation isn't helping.

No casuals will pay the price it's at now. Is it future proofed to the point where after a few years people will want to pick it up at a cheaper price? That's the gamble. A lot rides on BR, and 1080p. All IMO of course :) This isn't a 2 year war or 5 year war. although people would like to put Sony in the grave after 2 months......We shall see..

C4Lukins

Tieno said:
People were saying "who cares, it'll still sell out"

I know I was. I wanted to see Sony fall on its face, and I still thought it would sell the first 5 million units worldwide before sales started slowing. I underestimated the price barrier.

Sony is really going to need to start getting a lot more of the 20 giggers out there, and at a more competitive price around 400 US dollars. With their current mindset though, it seems they want to maintain this pricepoint for at least a year, and by then they could be in a lot of trouble in every major market.

ethelred

Dante said:
No casuals will pay the price it's at now. Is it future proofed to the point where after a few years people will want to pick it up at a cheaper price? That's the gamble. A lot rides on BR, and 1080p. All IMO of course :) This isn't a 2 year war or 5 year war. although people would like to put Sony in the grave after 2 months......We shall see..

Again: if there isn't a strong userbase to buy the games in the first two years, then who's going to keep making games in year 4?

And has there ever been a historical precedent where a console that was largely ignored by the mainstream for two to three years is suddenly and widely embraced by the casuals and mainstreamers simply because of a drop in price?

cvxfreak

soundwave05 said:
Are you sure this is neccessarily true in Japan? The "Core" PS3 is a lot different from the XBox 360 Core and comes with more in the box than the PS2 ever did.

As I mentioned above... how can the 20GB not appear in the Amazon Top 100 while the silver and metallic blue PSPs, the ceramic white and another variation of the PStwo, and the original X360 premium pack all do? To coincide, the PStwo and PSP are outselling PS3, and it's only doing 2X the 360 at the moment. And the Wii/DSL aren't on there, but they're out of stock so fast anyway.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Maybe I'm delusional, but are these PS3 numbers really that bad? Sure it's not hitting PS2 levels, but anyone who thought it would be is crazy... it's still .5 mil for a high-cost console 2 months into launch.

But I'm sure we're all just going to look at the Wii numbers and then laugh. :/

bigswords

cvxfreak said:
No one really wants the Core though. That's the problem.

I would, can just spend around $100 USD for a 300 gig drive anyways. But can the psp communicate with the PS3 if there's no WIFI (core has no WIFI am I right?)

Dante

ethelred said:
Again: if there isn't a strong userbase to buy the games in the first two years, then who's going to keep making games in year 4?

And has there ever been a historical precedent where a console that was largely ignored by the mainstream for two to three years is suddenly and widely embraced by the casuals and mainstreamers simply because of a drop in price?

Have you not noticed how Sony has stepped up it's first and second party development over the past 2 years? I'd like to think they have a solid business strategy......Maybe I'm just a sucker :)

Top Bottom