• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 22 - 28

Graphics Horse said:
TWO WEEKS!
4cik1gn.gif
:lol :lol :lol

909er

AniHawk said:
Man, if the PS3 is still not in first place 5 years from now, shit's gonna be really annoying. By then, there's gonna be a HUGE base of teenagers who grew up playing only Playstation that are gonna be pissed off because their favorite system isn't getting its dues.

Well, keep in mind the HUGE base of teenagers that grew up playing only Nintendo or Sega systems that were around 10 years ago. They seemed to transition well enough to whoever the new dominant guy was.

ethelred

909er said:
Well, keep in mind the HUGE base of teenagers that grew up playing only Nintendo or Sega systems that were around 10 years ago. They seemed to transition well enough to whoever the new dominant guy was.

No, they really didn't. A lot of the Nintendo ones came completely unhinged and became ever more obnoxious as the years passed.

The Sega ones are fine, though.

AniHawk

ethelred said:
No, they really didn't. A lot of the Nintendo ones came completely unhinged and became ever more obnoxious as the years passed.

The Sega ones are fine, though.

The Sega ones were ****ing crazy when they had a system and some still ARE, thinking Microsoft (or in rarer cases, Nintendo) is Sega.

ethelred

AniHawk said:
The Sega ones were ****ing crazy when they had a system and some still ARE, thinking Microsoft (or in rarer cases, Nintendo) is Sega.

These days, not even Sega is Sega, so Nintendo and Microsoft sure as **** can't be.

Something to consider as we look at the Wii dominate Japan while PS3 and 360 explore various degrees of floppage, is the perceived irrelevance of Japan numbers versus the bigger markets of the US and EU. A lot of people will tell you "Japan doesn't matter", but consider this:

December NPD put 360 at 1 million, and it wasn't for a lack of supply. Walk into a Best Buy at any point in the Christmas season and there were stacks of 360s. Literally pyramids of consoles. Wii sold as we know about 650k, restricted by supply. Here we are coming up on almost three months from launch and it's still a big deal whenever a store gets Wii shipments. Not using any specific numbers, but if in the US 360 and Wii hover at around the same number sold each month or even if Wii is a bit behind (January NPD should tell us more), Japan suddenly takes center stage. With offsetting US numbers, Wii's advantage over the 360 in Japan has global repercussions. Assuming that once Nintendo can adequately supply stores, Wii levels off at about 100k per week (I hesistate to predict DS-like success) and 360 continues to flounder, you've got Wii outselling 360 in Japan each month to the tune of 400k:~35k. With numbers like that, Wii would eventually catch up to and possibly overtake 360 as the global market leader.

(In this example I didn't take into account the EU as I'm not sure on the specifics but as I understand the Wii and 360 are both fairly popular there. I also did not factor the PS3 as I suspect that it will continue to struggle through 2007 until it can build up a portfolio of system-selling games as well as recieve a price cut)

AniHawk

ethelred said:
These days, not even Sega is Sega, so Nintendo and Microsoft sure as **** can't be.

I'm talking about people who have been so used to failure that they start backing these other ones out of blind faith that those won't fail and are supremely ecstatic when they don't or take a personal offense when people do.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
GhaleonEB said:
The observation was kind of random, the trend is a pattern. I just noticed it in the data and thought I'd toss it out.

...I don't suppose you noticed that the Wii has been declining for 4 weeks too? Not to discount your point, of course, but hardware is down across the board after the holidays, hence my "post-holiday avg" which is much much different than the "next gen (9-week) average."

AniHawk

GhaleonEB said:
"in a year or so"

Which means, for Christmas. This year.

It will be my first Nintendo system. And her first gaming system ever. She's 30. First person to mention non-gamers gets a wicked wedgie.

Gonna be a Wii60 household.

How many Nintendo games have you actually played before?

Odysseus

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
My wife just expressed interest in the Wii over the phone. She said it looked "fun".

I ended up promising we'd get one in a year or so. Those who know of my opinion of the system can understand how conflicting this is. :\

i would never suggest divorce but sometimes things just can't be repaired

ethelred

AniHawk said:
That doesn't mean he couldn't've PLAYED those games before.

Why would anyone play Nintendo games?

PantherLotus said:
A sad, sad little man. That would be like going through life and only having Pepperoni or Cheese Pizza, never having tried Supreme or Hawaiian or Meatlovers. I could come up with more bad analogies if you'd like.

I like plain cheese pizza. It's the only kind I eat.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
ethelred said:
He's only ever owned Sega and Microsoft consoles.

A sad, sad little man. That would be like going through life and only having Pepperoni or Cheese Pizza, never having tried Supreme or Hawaiian or Meatlovers. I could come up with more bad analogies if you'd like.

pswii60

Can't believe everyone on this board worrying about 'floppage' of the PS3. Just wait a couple of weeks for VF5 to come out. It'll all change, I think. The Japanese love their sequels.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
pswii60 said:
Can't believe everyone on this board worrying about 'floppage' of the PS3. Just wait a couple of weeks for VF5 to come out. It'll all change, I think. The Japanese love their sequels.

Make an estimate to how much and how long of an effect it will have. I'm guessing it will push up sales to around 70k for a couple weeks and then it will fall right back down.

cvxfreak

pswii60 said:

Relying Sega to save PS3. Talk about coming full circle. :p

AniHawk

pswii60 said:

Virtua Fighter 2 was the only million seller in the series, and VF4 sold under 500k on a userbase that was far, far larger than this.

Jonnyram

pswii60 said:
Yeah, RR6 on 360 and RR7 on PS3 sold JUST like previous Ridge Racer games :/

909er

BrodiemanTTR said:
Something to consider as we look at the Wii dominate Japan while PS3 and 360 explore various degrees of floppage, is the perceived irrelevance of Japan numbers versus the bigger markets of the US and EU. A lot of people will tell you "Japan doesn't matter", but consider this:

December NPD put 360 at 1 million, and it wasn't for a lack of supply. Walk into a Best Buy at any point in the Christmas season and there were stacks of 360s. Literally pyramids of consoles. Wii sold as we know about 650k, restricted by supply. Here we are coming up on almost three months from launch and it's still a big deal whenever a store gets Wii shipments. Not using any specific numbers, but if in the US 360 and Wii hover at around the same number sold each month or even if Wii is a bit behind (January NPD should tell us more), Japan suddenly takes center stage. With offsetting US numbers, Wii's advantage over the 360 in Japan has global repercussions. Assuming that once Nintendo can adequately supply stores, Wii levels off at about 100k per week (I hesistate to predict DS-like success) and 360 continues to flounder, you've got Wii outselling 360 in Japan each month to the tune of 400k:~35k. With numbers like that, Wii would eventually catch up to and possibly overtake 360 as the global market leader.

(In this example I didn't take into account the EU as I'm not sure on the specifics but as I understand the Wii and 360 are both fairly popular there. I also did not factor the PS3 as I suspect that it will continue to struggle through 2007 until it can build up a portfolio of system-selling games as well as recieve a price cut)

No offense, but you're predicting a ridiculously number for Wii in Japan. 400k a month? Japan hasn't historically been a market that supports that kind of number for a home console, and I don't think that Wii is suddenly gonna more than double the average sales number for a console during the year.

That's like predicting a console is gonna start selling 500k to 600k a month during the year in the US. It just doesn't happen, unless something drastic changes in the market.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
AniHawk said:
Virtua Fighter 2 was the only million seller in the series, and VF4 sold under 500k on a userbase that was far, far larger than this.

Wait a second, we're using facts and figures now?? WTFISTHISSHIT?!

So you're telling me that an earlier title in the same series in the same location sold not even 500k with a much much larger userbase and that's supposed to mean something?

Odysseus

Banned
909er said:
No offense, but you're predicting a ridiculously number for Wii in Japan. 400k a month? Japan hasn't historically been a market that supports that kind of number for a home console, and I don't think that Wii is suddenly gonna more than double the average sales number for a console during the year.

That's like predicting a console is gonna start selling 500k to 600k a month during the year in the US. It just doesn't happen, unless something drastic changes in the market.

you should have seen me in 2002, i was hot stuff.

yours,

ps2

909er

Odysseus said:
you should have seen me in 2002, i was hot stuff.

yours,

ps2

Show me data that says PS2 was selling half a mil + a month in March or June.

Edit: Not trying to be sarcastic, I didn't follow numbers back then so I have no idea what it was selling. But for the last 2 years or so, I haven't seen teh Xbox or PS2 go past 400,000 in any normal month in the US.

mj1108

pswii60 said:

How did Ridge Racer 7 do? Oh wait...

Alcibiades

cvxfreak said:
Relying Sega to save PS3. Talk about coming full circle. :p
how cute this is all turning out...

Sega should demand big money from Sony or threaten to delay the PS3 version of Virtua Fighter to do a simultaneous release with the 360 version (unless there is already some sweet money deal behind closed doors). Sega f*cked up big time after Genesis, but the PS2 had more to do with Sega's downfall than anything they did with Dreamcast. How could they forget so easily...

Odysseus

Banned
909er said:
Show me data that says PS2 was selling half a mil + a month in March or June.

ps2 did over half a million in may, september, and october that year
almost 700k in june
well over a million in november
almost three (3!) million in december

for jan-oct, ps2 averaged ~450k, and the whole year averaged > 700k

909er

Odysseus said:
ps2 did over half a million in may, september, and october that year
almost 700k in june
well over a million in november
almost three (3!) million in december

for jan-oct, ps2 averaged ~450k, and the whole year averaged > 700k

Wow, PS2 really sold well.

fresquito

909er said:

You know DSL is moving around 700K a month in Japan. And there're severe shortages. I mean, something drastic has changed in that market.

909er

Odysseus said:
well, it tried to tell you but you wouldn't listen :(

I know numbers from the time Xbox started doing PS2 numbers here monthly. I guess that it wasn't Xbox catching up so much as PS2 slowing down.

That said, I don't see Wii doing those early PS2 numbers here.

Alcibiades

Raw64life said:
money pic
how much money could they possibly be losing with the current size of the PS3 userbase? Sony is banking on Sega. They should take advantage of the situation, or rather, hopefully they are taking full advantage here and squeezing every penny out of Sony for timed exclusivity.

Raw64life

Alcibiades said:
how much money could they possibly be losing with the current size of the PS3 userbase? Sony is banking on Sega. They should take advantage of the situation, or rather, hopefully they are taking full advantage here and squeezing every penny out of Sony for timed exclusivity.

But then Sega would be making a good business decision, which is strictly against their current policy.

Odysseus

Banned
909er said:
I know numbers from the time Xbox started doing PS2 numbers here monthly. I guess that it wasn't Xbox catching up so much as PS2 slowing down.

That said, I don't see Wii doing those early PS2 numbers here.

on the second part, we agree

on the first part, 2002 was clearly ps2's best year, but 2001 and 2003 were no slouches. 2004 was down due in no small part to shortages leading up to and following the switchover to the ps2 slim model, and it also happened to be xbox's best year.

909er

fresquito said:
You know DSL is moving around 700K a month in Japan. And there're severe shortages. I mean, something drastic has changed in that market.

Alright, I give up on my point on Japan. I don't see Wii doing close to 400k a month on a normal month still. But I don't see the same craze translating to America. And I definitely don't see it doing those early PS2 numbers. Part of PS2's strong early sales were the dominant brand name and the fact that it was a cheap DVD player. While Wii is the cheapest, at $250 it's still not that much cheaper than the 360, and there isn't any peripheral advantage to buying the Wii that the PS2 had(and PS3 has, but I think Blu-ray is a lot less relevant since it isn't the kind of change that VHS to DVD was, and because it's so expensive).

GhaleonEB

AniHawk said:
That doesn't mean he couldn't've PLAYED those games before.
When I was a kid, and through high school, my friends had Nintendo systems. I've played quite a bit of NES and SNES (Zelda: A Link to the Past, all the 8 and 16-bit Marios, F-Zero, the NES Castlevania games pop to mind). I swapped my Genesis for a SNES for a month once, swapped a Saturn for a Playstation for a few weeks with another friend after high school (Wipeout, Gran Turismo). They're all great systems, I just could never afford to own/support more than one at a time.

I came from a very, very poor family and gaming was one of our outlets, but we could only afford maybe one new game every other month, tops. New games have been an event all my life. In the Xbox gen, I got one game every three months because we were either in college, or saving for a house after college. It's not like I've hated the other systems - they just were not an option because I'd already bought one.

But hey, I can support two kids and two mortgage loans on one income, why not two systems now. :\

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
909er said:
Alright, I give up on my point on Japan. I don't see Wii doing close to 400k a month on a normal month still. But I don't see the same craze translating to America. And I definitely don't see it doing those early PS2 numbers. Part of PS2's strong early sales were the dominant brand name and the fact that it was a cheap DVD player. While Wii is the cheapest, at $250 it's still not that much cheaper than the 360, and there isn't any peripheral advantage to buying the Wii that the PS2 had(and PS3 has, but I think Blu-ray is a lot less relevant since it isn't the kind of change that VHS to DVD was, and because it's so expensive).

You're blind and you have an agenda. You're talking about shit that is so irrelevant to what is happening that when you do realize what has happened you'll be shocked you didn't see it earlier.

ethelred

cvxfreak said:
I'd say they're the third best third party on DS after SE and BN.

Yes, I'm quite impressed how they're doing on it lately. They should really get cranking on some more stuff. I mentioned a few weeks ago that Shiren's success should tell Sega that there's a market here for RPGs, and they should really get some of their own excellent series out there (like Shining, Phantasy Star, or Skies).

GhaleonEB said:
I came from a very, very poor family and gaming was one of our outlets, but we could only afford maybe one new game every other month, tops. New games have been an event all my life.

I felt really sorry for you when you said you never got to play Phantasy Star IV. :(

Odysseus

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
When I was a kid, and through high school, my friends had Nintendo systems. I've played quite a bit of NES and SNES (Zelda: A Link to the Past, all the 8 and 16-bit Marios, F-Zero, the NES Castlevania games pop to mind). I swapped my Genesis for a SNES for a month once, swapped a Saturn for a Playstation for a few weeks with another friend after high school. They're all great systems, I just could never afford to own/support more than one at a time.

I came from a very, very poor family and gaming was one of our outlets, but we could only afford maybe one new game every other month, tops. New games have been an event all my life. In the Xbox gen, I got one game every three months because we were either in college, or saving for a house after college. It's not like I've hated the other systems - they just were not an option because I'd already bought one.

But hey, I can support two kids and two mortgage loans on one income, why not two systems now. :\

but dude.... nintendo

i mean, i'll rant and rave all day and night about how much the 360 sucks, but man...

just ignore your wife's wishes until she mentions it at least a couple hundred more times

cvxfreak

Odysseus said:
but dude.... nintendo

i mean, i'll rant and rave all day and night about how much the 360 sucks, but man...

just ignore your wife's wishes until she mentions it at least a couple hundred more times

You'd make for a horrible husband!

GhaleonEB

ethelred said:
I felt really sorry for you when you said you never got to play Phantasy Star IV. :(
I still plan to track it down this summer, either a month before or after Mass Effect hits. That thread reminded me that I need to play it to wrap up the 16-bit games. :D

(Okay, enough of my derailing. I thought I'd mention the Wii "development" because I couldn't find another thread to toss it into. I'm personally not a fan of the concept of that system, but I'm going to try to keep my mind open. Besides, I never did finish Zelda: A Link to the Past, so perhaps that will be on VC, if it's not already, by then. I have fond memories of beating up chickens, and the getting a massive swarm of them decending upon me for revenge.)

Top Bottom