• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 22 - 28

AniHawk

29az2iu.jpg

Looks like this comic may need an update.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Anyone starting to feel sorry for Sony?

Those DS numbers are just insane. I remember people saying that it's on pace to be the best selling system in Japan's history, which I don't doubt for a second. Anyone know offhand the best 5 selling systems in Japan's history and their LTD numbers as well?

AniHawk

nextgeneration said:
Those DS numbers are just insane. I remember people saying that it's on pace to be the best selling system in Japan's history, which I don't doubt for a second. Anyone know offhand the best 5 selling systems in Japan's history and their LTD numbers as well?

I think it goes PS2 > PSX > NES > SNES > GBA (> DS)

The DS is about 10,000,000 away from hitting the PS2's shipments.

Joe Molotov

GhaleonEB said:
Nintendo's just being so goddamn mean to them, taking market share and everything.

Yeah, but Sony gained marketshare against Ninendo in the portable market. Take that, Nintendo!

Kangu

Banned
AniHawk said:
I think it goes PS2 > PSX > NES > SNES > GBA (> DS)

The DS is about 10,000,000 away from hitting the PS2's shipments.

I thought you quit. What are you, Larry Brown?

Looking at the PS3 vs GCN launch line again, either PS3 averages more than 60+K for the next three weeks, or it will fall behind. I expect it will happen, but PS3 should eventually catch back up. PS3 must have a spike here or there, and GameCube averaged less than 20K even in good times.

Sometime in a week-ish PS3's LTD should reach PS2's first week sales. For the apples-to-apples comparison, Famitsu has PS2's first week as 631K, with PS3 at 593K with the newest numbers (which are, as always, a week behind MC's).

As for PS3 tracking behind the PocketStation, I don't believe that's true yet. I don't have the pre-2000 Famitsu data online for easy chart linkage since it has a few gaps, but through 11 weeks Famitsu has PS3 at 593K and PocketStation at 476K. However, if PS3 continues at 25K (as it was in most recent Famitsu numbers), it would fall behind week 18.

Wii being at 1,378,831 after 9 weeks, that's an average of 153,203/week. PS3 being at 594,134 after 12 weeks, that's an average of 49,511/week. DS being at ~14,762,341 (Summing the weeklies; I don't try to account for the occasional lifetime numbers MC give) after 113 weeks, that's an average of 130,640/week. PSP being at ~4,771,857 after 112 weeks, that's an average of 42,606/week. X360 being at ~306,379 after 60 weeks, that's an average of 5,106/week.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
This Week Sales:
mc-sales-070122.jpg

Sales History:
mc-sales-history.gif

Since 11/27/07 - 9 total weeks:
360 - 3rd lowest week. Consistently Insignificant (TM) - following the 7-8k trend. Next Gen Avg = 14,707. Post Holiday Avg = 7,814.
Wii - lowest week ever. Very consistent, following the trend. Next Gen Avg = 153,203. Post Holiday Avg = 87,952.
PS3 - lowest week ever. Trending Downwards. Next Gen Avg = 48,637. Post Holiday Avg = 22,211.

mc-LTDs-9.jpg

Results, Analysis, & Expectations
The 360's sales are so insignificant that their inclusion in the data tracking is almost insulting. At this point it's just a 3rd color on the chart and should never, ever be regarded as more than such. <---I'm not going to change this paragraph until 360 sales go above 30k for a week. (3rd week)

The PS3 has sold less than 100k in 4 total weeks, while the Wii has sold nearly 4x that amount. Sony execs must be banking on some major titles to boost sales, but I think the rest of the known world is starting to see the trend that Sony won't admit to yet: the verge of a complete commercial flop. The ramifications for 3rd parties, assuming that the 4-1 average continues, is too large to imagine. Just know how much FFXIII and MGS4 are costing their respective companies to produce, and realize they're risking a release on a system with 26% next-gen market share. The solution? To save money/cut losses they're going to have to use those properties, and that means ports. And that will eventually translate to a snowball effect of failure for the PS3 (see the GC).

The Wii is very consistent for the past 3 weeks, selling almost exactly the same in each (+/- 5k). New titles are being announced every day, and March is looking bigger, and bigger, and bigger. There will be several titles going directly up against big titles on the PS3 and the 360. Interesting fallout will ensue.

Expectations for 01/22-01/29
360 - 7k
Wii - 89k
PS3 - 23k

This Week's Market Share:
mc-marketshare-070122.jpg

Market Share History:
mc-marketshare-history.gif

Code:
[B][U]Date____               360             Wii             PS3[/U][/B]
11/27-12/03:            25%             49%             26%
12/04-12/10:            24%             49%             27%
12/11-12/17:            21%             50%             29%
12/18-12/24:            17%             57%             26%
12/25-12/31:            16%             56%             28%
01/01-01/07:            15%             58%             27%
01/08-01/14:            14%             59%             27%
01/15-01/21:            14%             60%             26%
[B]01/15-01/21:            13%             60%             26%[/B]

Smiles and Cries said:
I just hope the Sony fans can endure it as well as the Nintendo fans had to during N64 - Gamecube generations. This is not looking good.
The funny thing is they're already saying that the Sony-bashing is getting old. And I'm all like "This is America, dude; we're just getting started."

Battersea Power Station said:
The funny thing is they're already saying that the Sony-bashing is getting old. And I'm all like "This is America, dude; we're just getting started."

The Nintendo bashing hasn't gotten old 10 years later. Oh boy, dark days ahead for Sony fans.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
puck1337 said:
You have the same values for X360 and Wii (where it says "Since 11/27/07 - 9 total weeks:")

Thanks. I was just testing you guys to see if you're actually reading that crap.

You passed. ;)

AniHawk

BrodiemanTTR said:
The Nintendo bashing hasn't gotten old 10 years later. Oh boy, dark days ahead for Sony fans.

Man, if the PS3 is still not in first place 5 years from now, shit's gonna be really annoying. By then, there's gonna be a HUGE base of teenagers who grew up playing only Playstation that are gonna be pissed off because their favorite system isn't getting its dues.

AniHawk said:
Man, if the PS3 is still not in first place 5 years from now, shit's gonna be really annoying. By then, there's gonna be a HUGE base of teenagers who grew up playing only Playstation that are gonna be pissed off because their favorite system isn't getting its dues.

I'd post a certain YouTube link here, but I don't think I have to.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Iwata: For example, one challenge is in developing software that keeps people from saying they're no longer interested in swinging the Wiimote.
Sounds like good music in my ears!

Rock_Man

Lots of hardware graphs...

Software sales according to Famitsu:

famitsuswnextgenbk1.png

As you can see, sales are split almost evenly across PS3 and X360. Who predicted that 3 months ago?

Lapsed

Banned
Stormbringer said:
Meanwhile, at Nintendo :

http://wii.ign.com/articles/760/760751p1.html

The modesty of this man and his constant down-to-earth attitude never stops to amaze me, frankly.

It has nothing to do with modesty and nothing to do with 'keeping it real'. A day or two ago, I made a post that Nintendo, even if they become market leader, would still view themselves as failures.

Imagine how you would have to think when selling the very first video game system. Think of how Bushnel searched for a mass market title (Pong), and later the Atari trying to sell video games to people who didn't know what video games were. That mentality is a far cry from the typical 'console war' mindset we have been getting from all the console companies the last couple of decades. What exactly was Atari competing against? Fairchild quit with their Channel F system, and there were other competitors that would eventually enter, but the goal was always expanding the market. Nintendo had that same mentality when it first made the Famicom and when it brought the NES to America. Console penetration to households kept rising and rising. Then, somewhere during the 16-bit generation, the stupid 'console war' mentality arose and hasn't stopped yet. In terms of absolute popularity, gaming hasn't become more popular since twenty years ago. Not even the PS2 can breach that household percentage penetration established decades ago.

IGN said:
Finally, the site made a comment suggesting that Nintendo would from this year on be the industry leader, with others chasing from behind. "That's not the case," replied Iwata. "So long as we continue the fight against the lack of interest in games from the general consumer, Nintendo will always be the challenger.

Make a pie chart but take the total of DS or Wiis sold and make a percentage of that and the number of households in Japan (or America). The pie chart would look like Pac-Man except Pac-Man is disinterest and the teeny tiny wedge in his mouth would be Nintendo. This is how Iwata views the marketshare and why he cannot consider Nintendo to be 'market leader'... at least not until a Nintendo system is in 51% of households. Iwata wants to break that 'ceiling' of 33% which console gaming has been stuck at for the past twenty years.

Nintendo is using a different measurement of marketshare than the press is. You could say that Nintendo wants to take over the market that disinterest has seized. And disinterest will be the market leader for quite some time. If the Wii does what Iwata wants and breaks through that 33% ceiling, it would be growing the 'tiny wedge' that is Nintendo against the monstrous Evil Pac-Man of Disinterest.

Iwata isn't being modest here, he's being ambitious. He has a further goal in mind than merely outselling the other consoles. Or, perhaps I am mistaken, and Iwata is focused on growth merely due to fears of an industry demise. But I'm leaning towards the ambition side since Iwata has said he thought Wii could outsell any console ever made before. Here's what he said about the controller:

Iwata said:
Well, of course, the idea is that the Revolution will sell and sell and sell so it [the controller] becomes the standard in the industry. [Smiles]

281x211.jpg

More from Iwata:

IGN said:
Microsoft leader Bill Gates recently said that Nintendo would be a "niche player" in the next-generation wars. Iwata responded to this statement. "Talking about the definition of the niche, or niche market, I really have the completely opposite opinion. The people the other companies are targeting are very limited to those who are high-tech oriented, and core game players. They cannot expand beyond that population," Iwata said. "We are trying to capture the widest possible audience all around the world. In other words, we are trying to capture the people who are even beyond the gaming population. So for that kind of company, we don't think the term "niche" is appropriate."

"Also, we really feel that we need to create something that is very unique and different from today's gaming -- something that can stimulate interest from those who are not playing today's games. ... What Nintendo is trying to do, therefore, is to create a new interface and new theme of gaming that can really address the needs of the current non-gamers,"

GhaleonEB

Results, Analysis, & Expectations
The 360's sales are so insignificant that their inclusion in the data tracking is almost insulting. At this point it's just a 3rd color on the chart and should never, ever be regarded as more than such.
What's really amazing is that it's over 3x what the 360 sold last year. The Xbox at the same point in it's lifecycle was down to ~1k and dropped to the hundreds a few weeks from now. The 360 is doing bad, but still better than last year and it's predecessor. Somehow. :lol

Entirely random factoid: fifth straight week of PS3 declines.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Rock_Man said:

famitsuswnextgenbk1.png

As you can see, sales are split almost evenly across PS3 and X360. Who predicted that 3 months ago?
That's gorgeous.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Iwata thoroughly owned Bill with the power of reason in that article. I don't think I can like the guy any more than I do now.

Rock_Man said:

famitsuswnextgenbk1.png

I don't understand this chart... the X360 part...

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
GhaleonEB said:
What's really amazing is that it's over 3x what the 360 sold last year. The Xbox at the same point in it's lifecycle was down to ~1k and dropped to the hundreds a few weeks from now. The 360 is doing bad, but still better than last year and it's predecessor. Somehow. :lol

Entirely random factoid: fifth straight week of PS3 declines.

That's not random, that is a pattern

GhaleonEB

Smiles and Cries said:
I don't understand this chart... the X360 part...
It's software market share for next-gen systems by week. At first the 360 had it all to itself, now it's down to a fraction while the Wii takes the lions share.

Agent Icebeezy said:
That's not random, that is a pattern
The observation was kind of random, the trend is a pattern. I just noticed it in the data and thought I'd toss it out.

Sean*O

I must have missed something, is Gears Of War still sold out? Hard to believe it would just drop out of the top 50 if they had product in stores.

I think I can expand that quote Lapsed. Very nice post btw.

Originally Posted by IGN:
Microsoft leader Bill Gates recently said that Nintendo would be a "niche player" in the next-generation wars. Iwata responded to this statement. "Talking about the definition of the niche, or niche market, I really have the completely opposite opinion. The people the other companies are targeting are very limited to those who are high-tech oriented, and core game players. They cannot expand beyond that population," Iwata said. "We are trying to capture the widest possible audience all around the world. In other words, we are trying to capture the people who are even beyond the gaming population. So for that kind of company, we don't think the term "niche" is appropriate."

"Also, we really feel that we need to create something that is very unique and different from today's gaming -- something that can stimulate interest from those who are not playing today's games. ... What Nintendo is trying to do, therefore, is to create a new interface and new theme of gaming that can really address the needs of the current non-gamers,"

Expand outside of gaming population?
Making games to address non-gamers?

Sounds like Nintendo is going to start making some more of them non-traditional, non-game games we get so fussed up about eh?

Anyways, I like your analysis Pantherlotus. PS3 is very worrisome right now. VERY worrisome. I assume they have plenty of PS3s in shelves by now.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Sean*O said:
I must have missed something, is Gears Of War still sold out? Hard to believe it would just drop out of the top 50 if they had product in stores.

It's likely Gears is still sold out, but 360 games usually get bought up by the hardcore and then drop off the chart.

GhaleonEB

My wife just expressed interest in the Wii over the phone. She said it looked "fun".

I ended up promising we'd get one in a year or so. Those who know of my opinion of the system can understand how conflicting this is. :\

cvxfreak

GhaleonEB said:
My wife just expressed interest in the Wii over the phone. She said it looked "fun".

I ended up promising we'd get one in a year or so. Those who know of my opinion of the system can understand how conflicting this is. :\

You'll end up with five generations of Nintendo systems under a small hood. What do you have to lose? :D Your daughters would love it!

ethelred

GhaleonEB said:

Wouldn't kill you to try it. :p

I grew up every bit the Sega fan you were, and one of the reasons I like it is because it brings back a lot of the style I felt the Dreamcast had. And the VC is shaping up really nicely.

icecream

Public Health Threat
BenjaminBirdie said:
PS3 eM ~15k

360 Idolmaster ~25k

Now that's interesting.
Why? A rehash of an already released decent JRPG versus a completely original otaku-oriented sim game? Not too much of a contest. :D

GhaleonEB said:

How did you word your response?

"I know we both have jobs and $250 isn't a terrible amount of money and that buying a Wii means you will share in a hobby that means a lot to me... but I think we should wait a year. You know... it's Nintendo..."

GhaleonEB

The Abominable Snowman said:
"in a year or so"

Which means, for Christmas. This year.

It will be my first Nintendo system. And her first gaming system ever. She's 30. First person to mention non-gamers gets a wicked wedgie.

Gonna be a Wii60 household.

Lapsed said:
It has nothing to do with modesty and nothing to do with 'keeping it real'. A day or two ago, I made a post that Nintendo, even if they become market leader, would still view themselves as failures.

Imagine how you would have to think when selling the very first video game system. Think of how Bushnel searched for a mass market title (Pong), and later the Atari trying to sell video games to people who didn't know what video games were. That mentality is a far cry from the typical 'console war' mindset we have been getting from all the console companies the last couple of decades. What exactly was Atari competing against? Fairchild quit with their Channel F system, and there were other competitors that would eventually enter, but the goal was always expanding the market. Nintendo had that same mentality when it first made the Famicom and when it brought the NES to America. Console penetration to households kept rising and rising. Then, somewhere during the 16-bit generation, the stupid 'console war' mentality arose and hasn't stopped yet. In terms of absolute popularity, gaming hasn't become more popular since twenty years ago. Not even the PS2 can breach that household percentage penetration established decades ago.

Make a pie chart but take the total of DS or Wiis sold and make a percentage of that and the number of households in Japan (or America). The pie chart would look like Pac-Man except Pac-Man is disinterest and the teeny tiny wedge in his mouth would be Nintendo. This is how Iwata views the marketshare and why he cannot consider Nintendo to be 'market leader'... at least not until a Nintendo system is in 51% of households. Iwata wants to break that 'ceiling' of 33% which console gaming has been stuck at for the past twenty years.

Nintendo is using a different measurement of marketshare than the press is. You could say that Nintendo wants to take over the market that disinterest has seized. And disinterest will be the market leader for quite some time. If the Wii does what Iwata wants and breaks through that 33% ceiling, it would be growing the 'tiny wedge' that is Nintendo against the monstrous Evil Pac-Man of Disinterest.

Iwata isn't being modest here, he's being ambitious. He has a further goal in mind than merely outselling the other consoles. Or, perhaps I am mistaken, and Iwata is focused on growth merely due to fears of an industry demise. But I'm leaning towards the ambition side since Iwata has said he thought Wii could outsell any console ever made before. Here's what he said about the controller:

http://www.mtv.com/shared/promoimages/games/iwata_satoru_060324/281x211.jpg

More from Iwata:

Good post, I definitely understand your point. Really interesting.

cvxfreak

GhaleonEB said:
"in a year or so"

Which means, for Christmas. This year.

It will be my first Nintendo system. And her first gaming system ever. She's 30. First person to mention non-gamers gets a wicked wedgie.

Gonna be a Wii60 household.

Wii's the best first Nintendo system to get, because it's like you're getting them all.

Top Bottom