• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 22 - 28

GhaleonEB

cvxfreak said:
You'd make for a horrible husband!
Odysseus will never marry. :p

I actually love and respect my wife. She let me buy a $400 system when we were buying a house, I'll buy her a ~$200 system. I love this hobby too much not be happy to bring someone new into the fold, even if it's not my first choice of system. I have a hard time getting her to play 360 with me because she doesn't like the games I'll play, but I'm damn well going to play Wii with her regardless of what she buys - I'll be gaming with my wife and that trancends any console preference. I've been trying to get her to game with me for the nearly eight years we've been married.

Frankly, while I've never owned a Nintendo system before and can't say I'm a fan (yet), kudos to them for pulling it off.

Pud

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I still plan to track it down this summer, either a month before or after Mass Effect hits. That thread reminded me that I need to play it to wrap up the 16-bit games. :D

(Okay, enough of my derailing. I thought I'd mention the Wii "development" because I couldn't find another thread to toss it into. I'm personally not a fan of the concept of that system, but I'm going to try to keep my mind open. Besides, I never did finish Zelda: A Link to the Past, so perhaps that will be on VC, if it's not already, by then. I have fond memories of beating up chickens, and the getting a massive swarm of them decending upon me for revenge.)

ALTTP is already on the VC... and enjoy your Wii. Keep your mind open, because sharing gaming with a non-gaming wife/girlfriend is actually quite a bit more fun than you'd imagine. Especially if her hot friends come too :D I'd get the Wii sooner than later, if you can
find
afford it. The price of the system will likely be going down in June, but I have a feeling that they won't be including some things in the package (Opera is definately a $5 purchase after June, and they hopefully won't drop Wii Sports from the package?).

909er

PantherLotus said:
You're blind and you have an agenda. You're talking about shit that is so irrelevant to what is happening that when you do realize what has happened you'll be shocked you didn't see it earlier.

On the contrary, I would say anybody who thinks Wii will suddenly transform anything at this point is the blind one.

My personal feelings are that Wii will succeed, but that I personally don't want it to be dominant because I don't like the mini-game craze. As far as Japan, I'm not very good at predicting how things go there. My feelings on the gaming trends in Japan is heavily geared toward how it used to 10 years ago when I live there, so you're right in saying I'm blind on Japan.

One thing I do know about Japan though is that they adopt new technologies much, much faster than the US. That's why I don't feel the Wii will sell PS2 numbers. Number one, Wii doesn't have any dominant games aside from Zelda out yet. It isn't riding the wave of success from the GC as the PS2 was with the PS. It doesn't have any extra value that the PS2 had (the DVD player at an affordable price). Even if the Wii is going to do PS2 numbers, I don't see it happening until at least 2008, with this year being a slow buildup, as games come out and perhaps price goes down. Another factor with the Wii is that it faces much stiffer competition that will spread out the gaming dollar here (in Japan, it's alot more uncontested as the PS2 was here until Xbox started doing better). The Xbox 360 is more viable and seen more favorably than the original was, and the PS3 is hurt by it's price but it's still the successor of the PS2. Finally, Americans also tend to buy more at the budget price. Early on the PSone would still outsell the Xbox and GC on a monthly basis, and we see the PS2 still leading the market.

So that's my reasoning for my belief. Call me blind if you will.

Odysseus

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I actually love and respect my wife. She let me buy a $400 system when we were buying a house, I'll buy her a ~$200 system. I love this hobby too much not be happy to bring someone new into the fold, even if it's not my first choice of system. I have a hard time getting her to play 360 with me because she doesn't like the games I'll play, but I'm damn well going to play Wii with her regardless of what she buys - I'll be gaming with my wife and that trancends any console preference. I've been trying to get her to game with me for the nearly eight years we've been married.

Frankly, while I've never owned a Nintendo system before and can't say I'm a fan (yet), kudos to them for pulling it off.

yep, this here marriage is doomed

go ahead and give her half the house... maybe you'll even get to see the kids every other weekend

cvxfreak

GhaleonEB said:

The best part of a relationship is to listen the first time. I applaud you. ;)

Link

The Autumn Wind
909er said:
but that I personally don't want it to be dominant because I don't like the mini-game craze.
That pretty much sounds like an agenda to me, actually.

Stealth

Ok, so to look at this matter-of-fact, 360 will probably always lead in NA, but won't be making a very big splash in Japan, which is no surprise. PS3 vs Wii is looking almost as bad as the PSP vs DS war, but at least they have the majority on HD gaming. It really all comes down to how big March is for PS3 and whether or not they can win Europe. If they don't, it's bomba bomba. If they do, we've got ourselves a three-front war. I can't wait. :D

909er

Link said:
That pretty much sounds like an agenda to me, actually.

And the Xbox was my favorite console last gen, as was Halo. But that doesn't mean I go around predicting the Xbox 360 will sell 100 million and that Halo will replace Mario as the dominant videogame icon.

Look, everyone has a preference. I could say that the fact you have the username Link shows an agenda, and any attack on my views are thus baseless. I'm not saying I'm right here, nor am I an analyst. What I'm saying is, based on what I've seen in the game industry and other industries in the US would lead me to believe thats whats going to happen to the Wii this year.

I have no issues with my prediction being attacked, but I would like to see reasoning instead being called blind.

909er said:
Alright, I give up on my point on Japan. I don't see Wii doing close to 400k a month on a normal month still. But I don't see the same craze translating to America. And I definitely don't see it doing those early PS2 numbers. Part of PS2's strong early sales were the dominant brand name and the fact that it was a cheap DVD player. While Wii is the cheapest, at $250 it's still not that much cheaper than the 360, and there isn't any peripheral advantage to buying the Wii that the PS2 had(and PS3 has, but I think Blu-ray is a lot less relevant since it isn't the kind of change that VHS to DVD was, and because it's so expensive).
I don't think Wii 2007 US will equal PS2 2001 US either, but similar reasoning was used to predict Wii would be easily available in stores on day one.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
909er said:
(1)On the contrary, I would say anybody who thinks Wii will suddenly transform anything at this point is the blind one.

(2) My personal feelings are that Wii will succeed, but that I personally don't want it to be dominant because I don't like the mini-game craze. As far as Japan, I'm not very good at predicting how things go there. My feelings on the gaming trends in Japan is heavily geared toward how it used to 10 years ago when I live there, so you're right in saying I'm blind on Japan.

(3) One thing I do know about Japan though is that they adopt new technologies much, much faster than the US. That's why I don't feel the Wii will sell PS2 numbers. Number one, Wii doesn't have any dominant games aside from Zelda out yet. It isn't riding the wave of success from the GC as the PS2 was with the PS. It doesn't have any extra value that the PS2 had (the DVD player at an affordable price). Even if the Wii is going to do PS2 numbers, I don't see it happening until at least 2008, with this year being a slow buildup, as games come out and perhaps price goes down. Another factor with the Wii is that it faces much stiffer competition that will spread out the gaming dollar here (in Japan, it's alot more uncontested as the PS2 was here until Xbox started doing better). The Xbox 360 is more viable and seen more favorably than the original was, and the PS3 is hurt by it's price but it's still the successor of the PS2. Finally, Americans also tend to buy more at the budget price. Early on the PSone would still outsell the Xbox and GC on a monthly basis, and we see the PS2 still leading the market.

So that's my reasoning for my belief. Call me blind if you will.

(1) One might point out that it isn't the Wii that is doing the transforming, but rather the audience which has already transformed. A true market analyst will recognize this.

(2) Wants and Realities are two very different things my friend. You can not-want the Wii to succeed all day but that isn't going to change shit. And we both know that this isn't just about mini-games, it's about making games more accessible at a mass-market price.

(3) Then you start talking about irrelevant bullshit again. You're still talking about DVD players? Are you serious? And then you go off on how the PS2 was uncontested? You're blind and you have an agenda.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Stealth said:
Ok, so to look at this matter-of-fact, 360 will probably always lead in NA, but won't be making a very big splash in Japan, which is no surprise. PS3 vs Wii is looking almost as bad as the PSP vs DS war, but at least they have the majority on HD gaming. It really all comes down to how big March is for PS3 and whether or not they can win Europe. If they don't, it's bomba bomba. If they do, we've got ourselves a three-front war. I can't wait. :D

Why do you think the 360 will probably always lead NA?

909er

JoshuaJSlone said:
I don't think Wii 2007 US will equal PS2 2001 US either, but similar reasoning was used to predict Wii would be easily available in stores on day one.

I also recall alot of ppl on these forums predicting December US sales of the Wii being around 1.2 to 1.5 million.

Predictions aren't right most of the time, but it's not gonna stop people from making them. You give a 100 ppl the same data I used to come up with my prediction, and there will be a 100 different predictions. But I don't like being called blind just because I don't conform to the viewpoint that Wii will kick all ass and change the world.

909er said:
I also recall alot of ppl on these forums predicting December US sales of the Wii being around 1.2 to 1.5 million.

Predictions aren't right most of the time, but it's not gonna stop people from making them. You give a 100 ppl the same data I used to come up with my prediction, and there will be a 100 different predictions. But I don't like being called blind just because I don't conform to the viewpoint that Wii will kick all ass and change the world.

That's not why people are calling you blind... if they have called you blind at all.

Link

The Autumn Wind
909er said:
And the Xbox was my favorite console last gen, as was Halo. But that doesn't mean I go around predicting the Xbox 360 will sell 100 million and that Halo will replace Mario as the dominant videogame icon.

Look, everyone has a preference. I could say that the fact you have the username Link shows an agenda, and any attack on my views are thus baseless. I'm not saying I'm right here, nor am I an analyst. What I'm saying is, based on what I've seen in the game industry and other industries in the US would lead me to believe thats whats going to happen to the Wii this year.

I have no issues with my prediction being attacked, but I would like to see reasoning instead being called blind.
Fair enough.

You bring up the point that the Wii won't sell as well as the 360 or PS3 in the US, but then you go on to say that Americans tend to buy more at the budget price. Isn't that one of the Wii's biggest advantages? I personally think MS and Sony are not only pricing themselves out of mass market appeal, but they're also limiting their audience to people who are on the cutting edge of technology. Not only is the Wii practically already budget priced by comparison, it aims directly at the market that buys consoles once they drop in price as well (i.e., the more casual gamer).

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
909er said:

I'm calling you blind because you're using ridiculous comparisons about the success of the PS2 (which you seem to championing for some reason), including the dvd-inclusion which was irrelevant then and is irrelevant now. You're also talking about less or more competition, the prevalence of brandnames, and other things which have little bearing on the current market.

Not once have you mentioned price, except a sly comment trying to compare how close the Wii and the 360 are priced, when we both know they're not even selling to the same ****ing people.

ethelred

I don't see how the inclusion of DVD was irrelevant to the PS2's success. I think it played a very important role early on in helping secure a lot of adoption in the beginning.

AniHawk

909er said:

Halo was a pretty awesome console.

Lapsed

Banned
ethelred said:
Wouldn't kill you to try it. :p

I grew up every bit the Sega fan you were, and one of the reasons I like it is because it brings back a lot of the style I felt the Dreamcast had. And the VC is shaping up really nicely.

I wasn't around for Sega's last console (so I could totally be wrong on this), but I suspect the Wii was very much influenced by the Dreamcast. As you said, the style is similiar. Don't both controllers hold memory? Both consoles have a web browser (so does the PSP and PS3, but it is odd that a Nintendo console would embrace it).

Dreamcast was also supposed to have a 'Virtual Console' with Sega's past games and those of TG16's:

Sega Base said:
Also, in a completely unrelated development but one that caused classic gamers to rejoice, Sega of Japan (in conjunction with NEC) announced they would be making over 300 G/MD and TG16/PCE "ROMs" available on their website for use on the Dreamcast under emulation. It was the first time that such a service had been offered by a OEM (original equipment vendor) on the Internet, and Nintendo was quick to follow suit by announcing plans for N64 emulation support of its older NES and Super NES titles.

Perhaps some of the Gamecube titles with past NES/SNES/N64 games (like Animal Crossing, Zelda Compilation, etc.) were 'emulator' practice? Interesting how Sega and TG16's games joined with Nintendo's for the Virtual Console and not, say, the PS3 or Xbox 360.

Sega Base said:
At the same time, though, Naka and company were intrigued by the possibilities that Nintendo's latest hardware had to offer. They had already developed a 16-bit Sonic game for the failed NeoGeo Pocket and were candidly eyeing the prospect of ports to both GameBoy Advance and soon-to-be-launched GameCube. Perhaps the public admiration by Nintendo überprogrammer Shigeru Miyamoto for Sonic Team's recent Dreamcast efforts had a lot to do with it. Perhaps it was simply Naka's personal familiarity and years of unauthorized experimentation on Nintendo hardware. Perhaps it was something else altogether. Whatever the reason, Sonic Team began gravitating towards Nintendo platforms for the bulk of their future efforts.

Miyamoto is hard to impress. If he was impressed with Dreamcast, then is it out of line to say the Wii could be, figuratively speaking, some 'love child' of the Gamecube and Dreamcast? That's certainly overstating it, but Nintendo certainly loved the Dreamcast:

Sega Base said:
""Dreamcast is a fabulous product. It just hasn't caught on. Everybody I talked to loves it. It just hasn't caught on to the mass consumer, and that's unfortunate."- Perrin Kaplan, Nintendo of America executive vice president of sales and marketing, as reported by Gamer's Republic.

AniHawk said:
Virtua Fighter 2 was the only million seller in the series, and VF4 sold under 500k on a userbase that was far, far larger than this.

Oh, come on, now you´re being mean.
Killing off all hopes by bringing up facts... :-/

909er

Link said:
Fair enough.

You bring up the point that the Wii won't sell as well as the 360 or PS3 in the US, but then you go on to say that Americans tend to buy more at the budget price. Isn't that one of the Wii's biggest advantages? I personally think MS and Sony are not only pricing themselves out of mass market appeal, but they're also limiting their audience to people who are on the cutting edge of technology. Not only is the Wii practically already budget priced by comparison, it aims directly at the market that buys consoles once they drop in price as well (i.e., the more casual gamer).

Again, I did not say Wii will sell less than any console, other than the PS2's early numbers. I said that the existance of viable competition in a closed market like the gaming market, tends to spread out the dollars, and hence Wii won't sell as much as it would should the PS3 or 360 not exist.

My other point is that you cant compare things relatively. The Wii is $250, and this has been shown to be above the general mass market price for games. More importantly, it's games AREN'T budget priced. If I were to buy a Blu-ray player for $200, that would be steal. But say the average Blu ray movie costs $40, and suddenly it's not that good of a deal, because I'm still getting less entertainment from the money I spend than I could otherwise. The people that buy systems for price, I would argue, take into account the fact that they could also buy 10 PS2 games used for the price of a new Wii game.

Stealth

PantherLotus said:
Why do you think the 360 will probably always lead NA?

Lower price, Halo frenzy, and a year's head-start. Plus the major titles are going to both systems this year (VF5, Assassin's Creed, GTA4). PS3 has the 1st-party titles and 3rd-party exclusives to draw the hardcore crowd in as well, but the time it lost in establishing itself will come to haunt it sooner or later if it can't make up that ground quickly.

909er

PantherLotus said:
I'm calling you blind because you're using ridiculous comparisons about the success of the PS2 (which you seem to championing for some reason), including the dvd-inclusion which was irrelevant then and is irrelevant now. You're also talking about less or more competition, the prevalence of brandnames, and other things which have little bearing on the current market.

Not once have you mentioned price, except a sly comment trying to compare how close the Wii and the 360 are priced, when we both know they're not even selling to the same ****ing people.

I'm not gonna try to argue my points with you after this since it seems you're starting to take it personally.

Here's a simple reason why I think you're wrong.
1)DVD was a big part of the early success of the PS2. You cant you ignore it's effect on making PS2 so main stream. But you know what, if you believe otherwise, WHY? I'm trying to debate here, not insult you, so come on, give me a reason why you think the early success of the PS2 had little to do with the DVD?

2) As far as the other factors go, the existence of competition as well the strength of the competition is a very important part of looking at the success of an item. The existence of competition means you have more options, and the strength of the competition influences consumers because of visibility (and when comes down to it, it's "coolness factor") and availability of software.

As far as prevalance of brand names, it's what keeps the industry alive. Would any of the system sell if not for the existence of strong franchises? Would Nintendo be successful if they didn't have Mario, Zelda, Metroid and any number of franchises? It's the same with systems. Sony's Playstation became synonimous with gaming, just as Nintendo was before. Right now, the strength of brands are such that in America, all 3 are viable and none are truly overwhelming in the next-gen race. Each has a stable of franchises that are tied to their brand.

I'd say that your disagreement comes from your belief that what I'm arguing is irrelevant to the whole, whereas I believe what I'm arguing makes up small parts but in the end are a big chunk of the whole.

Lapsed, concerning your 'Nintendo aims to sell to everyone' argument, doesn't seem a bit suspect when Nintendo itself appears completely unprepared for the massive DS success in the first place? They can't produce enough DSLs, they can't keep up on cart production, causing games to have wonky print runs, they even had a plastic game case shortage at one point.

I mean, what they say doesn't seem to match up with what they planned for.

jesusraz

For those that just like numbers instead of graphical representations:

Hardware - This Week | Last Week | Total 2007 Sales | Lifetime Sales

1.) Nintendo DS Lite - 194,526 | 127,647 | 756,338 | 8,179,662
2.) Wii - 83,754 | 86,395 | 459,188 | 1,378,831
3.) PlayStation Portable - 35,700 | 37,032 | 239,722 | 4,771,851
4.) PlayStation 2 - 20,995 | 20,169 | 115,864 | 20,270,723
5.) PlayStation 3 - 19,996 | 21,105 | 136,576 | 594,134
6.) Xbox 360 - 7,365 | 7,041 | 41,676 | 306,378
7.) Game Boy micro - 1,177 | 1,864 | 8,311 | 568,241
8.) Game Boy Advance SP - 1,023 | 1,498 | 6,432 | 5,921,472
9.) GameCube - 347 | 554 | 2,770 | 4,172,238
10.) Nintendo DS - 82 | 123 | 321 | 6,582,676
11.) Game Boy Advance - 34 | 94 | 264 | 8,823,373

:)

meppi

Sega Base said:
""Dreamcast is a fabulous product. It just hasn't caught on. Everybody I talked to loves it. It just hasn't caught on to the mass consumer, and that's unfortunate."- Perrin Kaplan, Nintendo of America executive vice president of sales and marketing, as reported by Gamer's Republic.

That's a great quote. Never heard it before, but that is normal since at that time I probably had yet to start surfing the web with my DC.
Funny how these things sometimes work out.

These MC threads the last few weeks have been the breeding ground for soooo much reatrdism, even i'm shocked.

jesusraz said:

I wonder what must be going on over at Sony HQ? Although their PR is rather bullish in its context, they must be worried, as the launch period really needs to be one of the strongest periods in a consoles cycle. And what with PS2 sales dwindling, PSP sales plodding along and PS3 sales not yet taking off, they surely must be asking if "Maybe, just Maybe we've gotten this one wrong"

AniHawk

I don't think they're worrying as much as they're scrambling. Shit's falling apart fast.

In Japan, you have Nintendo replacing them as the dominant hardware manufacturer, in Europe, you have a strengthening Xbox brand and strong Wii demand, and in NA, there's what you see in Europe, and the 360 has its highest lead there, with a bunch of franchises that appeal to the hardcore.

I think Sony's best hope now is to get as much support as possible and pray that Blu-Ray takes off like DVDs did.

AniHawk said:
I don't think they're worrying as much as they're scrambling. Shit's falling apart fast.

In Japan, you have Nintendo replacing them as the dominant hardware manufacturer, in Europe, you have a strengthening Xbox brand and strong Wii demand, and in NA, there's what you see in Europe, and the 360 has its highest lead there, with a bunch of franchises that appeal to the hardcore.

I think Sony's best hope now is to get as much support as possible and pray that Blu-Ray takes off like DVDs did.
I wonder if Kutargi has his ceremonial kamikaze death sword ready, in case this shit doesn't sticking back together fast

jesusraz said:

It looks so damn bad for PS3 when 360 still has more than half the PS3 base.

PSP and X360 are up from last year, we'll how they go next weeks, I suppose 360 will go down because it just blow off its charge of titles (Blue, Lost, Gears, Idol). I also suppose PSP will go up when ToD2 and the week after that MHP2 are released.

Nothing too interesting this week (release-wise), maybe just another Harvest Moon DS.

AniHawk said:

Yeah, and there is another factor that has changed in last 1-2 years: Sony is profitable in the electronic's business again and a lot more then the Playstation's section.
So, their objective at this point is really to impose the Blu-Ray as Standard, and to do that they have to sell a lot of PS3. What I mean, is that the fact that Sony was supposed to be the leader is passed in a secondary position due to others factors.

They have to sell more Blu-Ray then HD-DVD, not do better then the Wii. Of course the machine isn't doing well in Japan, but I think that they really think that this is a battle in the long term.

Some comments from sinobi about this week releases...

· Harvest Moon DS sells around 50k in its first day of a 100k shipment. Better start than Rune Factory, sinobi says it aims at 200k total.

And I think thats it...I think he also mentions Ryuusei no Rockman having large price drops and some comments about Gundam Musou bundle. I think Mekaiuji no Meikyuu will get a new shipment on the 7th.

Deku

Banned
AniHawk said:

I don't even think they're doing that. I'm sure members of the organization must realize whats going on right now, but the top level executives must still be supremely confident of the machine and we really don't know the final score yet so their confidence may be well founded.

I mentioned strategic inertia a while back, basically the PS3's launch position and its market positioning has already been predetermined. Changing it from now on would be very difficult. A good analogy would be to describe a ball bearing that's barreling down a track. There's too much inertia to change things substantially once you've plotted a strategy for a console, and launch it.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Sure, but isn't it like the 4th one DS gets? I meant it isn't as interesting as prior weeks (hack, shining force...gta, wish room) :)

This Harvest Moon does look sweet though. Love the visuals. :)

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Some comments from sinobi about this week releases...

· Harvest Moon DS sells around 50k in its first day of a 100k shipment. Better start than Rune Factory, sinobi says it aims at 200k total.

And I think thats it...I think he also mentions Ryuusei no Rockman having large price drops and some comments about Gundam Musou bundle. I think Mekaiuji no Meikyuu will get a new shipment on the 7th.

Hmmm good on Harvest Moon, hopefully it does reach 200K which would make it the best selling one so far on the DS.

Ouch about Ryuusei no Rockman, that three version thing was just retarded.

Good to see Etrina is getting new shipment soon, ducky should get off bitter mode pretty soon. :D

justchris

909er said:
Again, I did not say Wii will sell less than any console, other than the PS2's early numbers. I said that the existance of viable competition in a closed market like the gaming market, tends to spread out the dollars, and hence Wii won't sell as much as it would should the PS3 or 360 not exist.

But...isn't the entire point of the Wii market expansion? I mean, look at the numbers. Wii Sports is outselling Legend of Zelda, and in fact, every 'real' game by a factor of ~3:1 in Japan. And all the frenzy over the Wii in the US, it doesn't appear to be about Zelda. People aren't standing in line every week or so to get Zelda, they're standing in line to get Wii Sports. That's the game that gets all the press. If you didn't visit gaming forums, I suspect you wouldn't even know there was a Zelda game for the Wii. Most of the people I work with didn't know it until I told them (one of the girls at work is a Zelda fanatic, when she told me her husband wanted to get a Wii, I mentioned that was great, cause the new Zelda was out for the Wii).

So, if the gaming market is a closed market as you say, wouldn't that be of more detriment to Sony and Microsoft, who are only trying to target gamers, rather than Nintendo whose stated goal is to target both gamers and non-gamers?

909er said:
As far as prevalance of brand names, it's what keeps the industry alive. Would any of the system sell if not for the existence of strong franchises? Would Nintendo be successful if they didn't have Mario, Zelda, Metroid and any number of franchises? It's the same with systems. Sony's Playstation became synonimous with gaming, just as Nintendo was before. Right now, the strength of brands are such that in America, all 3 are viable and none are truly overwhelming in the next-gen race. Each has a stable of franchises that are tied to their brand.

I contend that yes, they would, in fact, sell without the existence of strong franchises. These franchises haven't always existed, they have to come from somewhere. And if you've been paying attention, the DS was doing fine without any of the major Nintendo franchises on it. Sure, it had Mario 64 DS and Kirby Canvas Curse, but the real explosion in sales didn't happen until Nintendogs and Brain Training hit. All the major franchises didn't show up until after that. So the DS would have not only been fine without the strong Nintendo franchises, it would probably still be trending ahead of the GBA right now, even if it had nothing but original IP on it, as long as the games were still of the same quality.

And the belief that brand names are what keeps the industry alive is bordering on ludicrous. Brands and franchises are a staple of the industry, but the industry doesn't die without them. Where did Halo come from? One of the best selling games of last generation, and it was a new IP. What about Gears of War, what proceeded it, how did it's brand get so strong for it to go multiplatinum in only 2 months? How about Super Mario Bros. on the NES? How did it manage to survive without drawing more on the existing, and popular, Donkey Kong brand? What made Dragon Quest the basis for every JRPG from the time it came out?

None of these brands, when they were first released, were known. And they have become huge, major franchises. All a brand does is get you a free pass in the door. You still have to do your spiel and sell yourself, or you're not getting anywhere.

The Sony Playstation brand has already used it's free pass to get into the market with over ~1 million units, but they've still yet to actually sale themselves. Brand alone is not enough to convince people to buy (well, not en masse anyway, I refuse to try to vouch for individual decisions).

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Pureauthor said:
Lapsed, concerning your 'Nintendo aims to sell to everyone' argument, doesn't seem a bit suspect when Nintendo itself appears completely unprepared for the massive DS success in the first place? They can't produce enough DSLs, they can't keep up on cart production, causing games to have wonky print runs, they even had a plastic game case shortage at one point.

I mean, what they say doesn't seem to match up with what they planned for.
1. The point that they want to expand the market doesn't mean that they'll succeed. They've massively failed twice already, remember
2. Nintendo in general and Iwata in particular are extremely prudent, to a fault, this means that by default they'll consider that they're going to fail rather that consider they're going to win their bets. Which is why they took the stance of making a profit on everything and not selling the console as a (potentially huge) loss-leader or a wedge: if they fail, the loss leader becomes a pure loss, which they don't want to have to face.

This means that even though their ultimate goal is to expand the market beyond what it currently is, they'll prepare for failure rather than success, which translates into 11 months (to date) of straight DS Lite shortages.

Masklinn said:
1. The point that they want to expand the market doesn't mean that they'll succeed. They've massively failed twice already, remember
2. Nintendo in general and Iwata in particular are extremely prudent, to a fault, this means that by default they'll consider that they're going to fail rather that consider they're going to win their bets. Which is why they took the stance of making a profit on everything and not selling the console as a (potentially huge) loss-leader or a wedge: if they fail, the loss leader becomes a pure loss, which they don't want to have to face.

This means that even though their ultimate goal is to expand the market beyond what it currently is, they'll prepare for failure rather than success, which translates into 11 months (to date) of straight DS Lite shortages.

failed twice?

N64 and GameCube weren't attempts to expand the market.

Gio_CoD

Banned
I find myself surprised every week by the PS3 sales. Riding off the wave of success that is the PS2, it's pretty hard to believe that the PS3 could be bombing like it is in Japan. Anecdotal reports from the States say that it isn't faring all that well over here either. If you're Sony, what do you do here? Drop the price? I think that's about all you can do now. You can't magically make good software just appear, so the only factor you can control is the price of the system. They would be wise to drop the 20 gig unit to the same price as the 360 premium, and lower the 60 gig price to 500 and try to market it seperately. Maybe include some sort of media player type software or productivity software,

Save this quote for later (in case I need to eat crow), but I'm going to guess the Wii is the worldwide leader by the end of this year.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
BrodiemanTTR said:
By chance does anyone have that chart of 360 vs. Xbox lifetime on hand?

up-to-date

linex360vsxboxltdsx5.jpg

Top Bottom