• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 22 - 28

moku said:
It will be trending lower then the Gamecube within two weeks.

Think about that for just a moment.

I just hope the Sony fans can endure it as well as the Nintendo fans had to during N64 - Gamecube generations. This is not looking good.

Maybe next week we will see a spike in sales for the PS3
Did they count the sale they had from that one store selling PS3s at a lower price?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
PS3 is the GameCube confirmed, taking Jackets, lol, rofl, and other internet nonsense going going gone to the highest bidder.

argon

moku said:

guygomadotcom6uyyz1.gif

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
edwardslane said:
What does Wii have comming out in the next months to sustain it's pace in japan?

Honestly right now it doesn't actually need anything, especially considering its sagging competition. Hell, we can think about what Nintendo "needs" to pump out after all the people that already want one actually get one. Right now demand is far outstripping supply (which may or may not be by design), and that demand will carry them through any so-called "game droughts" (meaning there is no such thing).

But, since you're asking:
Cooking Mama
Dragon Quest Swords

Those both have 500k plus potential, more so for DQS.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
AlphaSnake said:
I foresee the PS3 picking up quite a bit with VF5.

I'm going to guess it will pick up for exactly two weeks. Like, by 50k units or so, meaning 70-72k units for each week. Then...back to normal.

PantherLotus said:
I'm going to guess it will pick up for exactly two weeks. Like, by 50k units or so, meaning 70-72k units for each week. Then...back to normal.

haven't retailers only booked 150k units? I don't even think it will pick up that much

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
PantherLotus said:

Yeah. What's the JAP software schedule like for the PS3? We'll probably begin seeing sales bursts soon with every new game coming out.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Baby Milo said:
Wow sony better figure something out
shhhhh Be quiet you. Sony is doing just fine... nothing to worry about. Its a marathon, not a sprint.

Terrell

Smiles and Cries said:
moku said:

I just hope the Sony fans can endure it as well as the Nintendo fans had to during N64 - Gamecube generations. This is not looking good.
Uhhh... no, they won't. They'll be just as bad, just as loud, just as boorish, just as irrationally stupid, etc... and then, FINALLY, people can shut up about how "bad" Nintendo fanboys are and just say how bad spurned fanboys IN GENERAL are. Then I can die happy.

moku said:
Just to put this into perspective;

The PS3 bieng under 20k in sales is a huge sign of distress.

The PS2 didnt dip under 20k for almost a full when it first hit, and if these sales continue like this for the PS3;

hmmsg0.gif

PantherLotus said:
Honestly right now it doesn't actually need anything, especially considering its sagging competition. Hell, we can think about what Nintendo "needs" to pump out after all the people that already want one actually get one. Right now demand is far outstripping supply (which may or may not be by design), and that demand will carry them through any so-called "game droughts" (meaning there is no such thing).

Cooking Mama
Dragon Quest Swords

wut? IIRC we don't really have any kind of release date for DQS.

KINGMOKU

Haunted_One said:
... There are no words.
It gets worse, trust me.

It's already behind the Pocketstation, and its barley ahead of the Dreamcast.

It's 300,000 units behind the PSP.

I think that it will see a massive spike when something of note gets released(NOT VF5), and if it coincides with a pricedrop.

I just cannot imagine such a sharp decline in status for the Playstaion brand in one generational leap.

IT WILL pick up. It's just going to need a high profile game, and perhps a pricedrop.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
AlphaSnake said:
Yeah. What's the *** software schedule like for the PS3? We'll probably begin seeing sales bursts soon with every new game coming out.

Hey we're going to agree not to use that as an abreviation any longer, right? Highly offensive, although I'm sure that wasn't intended. JPN, JP, or even spelling it out is just fine.

kevm3

Sony's being unbelievably stupid with marketing the PS3. That's one of the main reasons its not selling. People don't want Blu-Raystation 3. They want to see the freaking games. You don't show any media of the exclusive games and you expect people to plunk down $500 to $600? Sony better quit being stupid and making gamers wait and start pumping out the media. I don't care about saving things for the Euro launch. You have to sell the machine in America AND Japan.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
PantherLotus said:
Hey we're going to agree not to use that as an abreviation any longer, right? Highly offensive, although I'm sure that wasn't intended. JPN, JP, or even spelling it out is just fine.

Sorry.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
PantherLotus said:
Someone called me a goomba today :( I didn't know people really still used these words

:lol at reggie head and a big thumbs up to capcom (I am assuming the published this GTA there too) for scuh nice sales on a Z rated western game

Meanwhile, at Nintendo :

Japan's Yukan Fuji blog recently scored an interview with Nintendo's man in charge, Satoru Iwata. The Nintendo president discussed the success of the Wii, the problems it's been having with meeting DS demand, and even his own recent DS-based obsession.

Despite having shipped over a million units to Japan last year, Iwata isn't celebrating the Wii's success just yet. "Any system will sell well following launch," said the Nintendo president, "but there will definitely come a time where it will stop selling. Even the DS hit a rough spell after selling 1.5 million units a month after launch. The flame was really lit a year after launch, after Nintendogs and Brain Age became big hits. With the Wii, we have to make good software just as we did with the DS."

We tend to make a note of this in every report we do from the Japanese front lines, but the DS is still sold out at retail in Japan. The site pointed this out to Iwata, who recalled a quote from a member of the worldwide press: "In Japan, every week is Christmas." Iwata continued Nintendo's corporate line of being apologetic over the shortages, stating, "We're making and shipping 700,000 units per month domestically, but even then we're unable to clear up the shortages."

Finally, the site made a comment suggesting that Nintendo would from this year on be the industry leader, with others chasing from behind. "That's not the case," replied Iwata. "So long as we continue the fight against the lack of interest in games from the general consumer, Nintendo will always be the challenger. For example, one challenge is in developing software that keeps people from saying they're no longer interested in swinging the Wiimote."

Iwata, incidentally, finds himself currently occupied by a DS game. The Nintendo leader revealed to the site that he's been using Nintendo's Japan-only DS cooking software, Cooking Navi, to cook every weekend.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/760/760751p1.html

The modesty of this man and his constant down-to-earth attitude never stops to amaze me, frankly.

ethelred

kevm3 said:
Sony's being unbelievably stupid with marketing the PS3. That's one of the main reasons its not selling. People don't want Blu-Raystation 3. They want to see the freaking games. You don't show any media of the exclusive games and you expect people to plunk down $500 to $600? Sony better quit being stupid and making gamers wait and start pumping out the media. I don't care about saving things for the Euro launch. You have to sell the machine in America AND Japan.

I don't think the marketing is the problem here.

PantherLotus said:

Cooking Mama
Dragon Quest Swords

Honestly, I don't see even the remotest possibility of Cooking Mama selling anything like that. Taito's not that strong a publisher (and I don't foresee Daddy Squarebucks giving them a boost on this game), and the DS game didn't sell all that well. I don't think it cracked 100k. And I don't think the Wii game will, either.

Naruto should sell very well. Fire Emblem should sell well (better than PoR, I'd imagine). DQS should be a blockbuster.

For example, one challenge is in developing software that keeps people from saying they're no longer interested in swinging the Wiimote."
That's one of my biggest concerns, glad to see they're at least fully aware of it.

Mar

Graphics Horse said:
TWO WEEKS!
4cik1gn.gif

That is awesome.

Despite having shipped over a million units to Japan last year, Iwata isn't celebrating the Wii's success just yet. "Any system will sell well following launch," said the Nintendo president, "but there will definitely come a time where it will stop selling. Even the DS hit a rough spell after selling 1.5 million units a month after launch. The flame was really lit a year after launch, after Nintendogs and Brain Age became big hits. With the Wii, we have to make good software just as we did with the DS."

Iwata is a god. He knows what's going on and he's keeping his head on his shoulders. They know what killed the N64 and GC.

PantherLotus said:

I dont think its a negative term when capitalized.

USA
JAP
EUR
AUS

Its part of the 3 letter abreviation system.

XBX
NGC
GBA
PS2

And so on. Check any release list. Especially since he was talking about release dates

Smiles and Cries said:
yeah I wish he would talk some jive hype... Sony and others have been taking shots at them left and right. meh

Oh well keep the software coming Iwata

Iwata doesn't have to take shots at his competitors. Sales data does it for him.

Linkup

The Jet Impulse demo should be out in Japan today and the game comes out on the 8th. Probably will have trouble making the top15.

justchris

cvxfreak said:
If Naruto's out then, that should be a good week for Nintendo to do a bigger-than-usual restock. The GC Naruto games were pretty popular, and unless there's that franchise dropoff that rears its ugly head in sometimes, Naruto should do even better than Fire Emblem.

Didn't the newest season of the Naruto anime, the one after the time skip, just start up there? Naruto should be at a height of popularity. I think it should easily outsell FE.

We tend to make a note of this in every report we do from the Japanese front lines, but the DS is still sold out at retail in Japan. The site pointed this out to Iwata, who recalled a quote from a member of the worldwide press: "In Japan, every week is Easter." Iwata continued Nintendo's corporate line of being apologetic over the shortages, stating, "We're making and shipping 700,000 units per month domestically, but even then we're unable to clear up the shortages."

Fixed.

Top Bottom