• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 22 - 28

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
QuickKick89 said:
01. (PS2, Capcom) Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - 227261 / 227261

wat.

Where did your avatar come from? I remember seeing the video, but can't remember where it was from!

Kangu

Banned
I expect japanese to be barfing all over the place shortly. SA gave me some serious motion sickness and normally only FPS give me motion sickness.

Jonnyram said:
Honestly, can someone explain what is going on with PS3?
360 software is consistently outselling PS3 software on a weekly basis, but somehow PS3 hardware sales are three times higher each week. Considering how pitiful Blu-ray sales are, what is making the difference?

69088-2.jpg

"it's the Playstation difference. People will buy it, even if it cost $599 and dosen't have the games."

There are some games that dissapear and then come back...obviously DS games, can't Nintendo produce a good amount of them weekly? imo i'd better to produce 50k a week than do a 100k shipment every two weeks. Kirby, Jump Super Stars, DQMJ...

Some games dissapearing this week...Mekaiju no Meikyuu (Atlus undershipping ftw), Yakuza, Yakuza 2, Gears of War...well top30 is fairly high, #29 sold 15k. Interesting to see Shining Force EXA doing a better 2nd week than .hack GU3.

Monster Hunter has immense legs for a PSP title, if MH2 helps it (I doubt it since they are not games like Yakuza-Yakuza 2) it could come really near 1m. I hope MGS has some legs too, hopefully PSP will gain some momentum with Tales of Destiny 2 (week prior to MH2) and then Monster Hunter 2.

I mentioned in an old mc thread that PS3 still does better hardware numbers than it should considering its software numbers. Probably it doesn't come from Blu-Ray either...I guess its potential and PS2-compatibility.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
There are some games that dissapear and then come back...obviously DS games, can't Nintendo produce a good amount of them weekly? imo i'd better to produce 50k a week than do a 100k shipment every two weeks. Kirby, Jump Super Stars, DQMJ...

Isn't that the approach they took with FFIII? 50K per week... didn't really make much of a difference.

But yeah, the carts thing is getting really ridiculous, IMO.

Humphrey Bogart said:
i wonder how long til Nintendo realizes that they're not putting enough effort into meeting demand.

Nintendo strike me as a VERY conservative company. They never seem to go out on a limb, even now DS is really flying.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Some games dissapearing this week...Mekaiju no Meikyuu (Atlus undershipping ftw), Yakuza, Yakuza 2, Gears of War...well top30 is fairly high, #29 sold 15k. Interesting to see Shining Force EXA doing a better 2nd week than .hack GU3.

If we can believe ioi's site, which has a top 50 list, Etrian Oddyssey (whatever the Japanese name is) didn't miss the top 30 by much, I think it was 33? 36? Something like that.

Btw, it seems Capcom wants to roll on GTA success by releasing GTA Double Pack (GTA III and GTA VC) on 22th February. (No price but I guess it will be budget price? Maybe it'll do good like their Yakuza budget edition).

trancejeremy said:
If we can believe ioi's site, which has a top 50 list, Etrian Oddyssey (whatever the Japanese name is) didn't miss the top 30 by much, I think it was 33? 36? Something like that.
I rather wait for MC top50 or Dengeki top50 but yeah it has to be around 10-15k.

Furoba

Humphrey Bogart said:
i wonder how long til Nintendo realizes that they're not putting enough effort into meeting demand.

Then again, the just in time principle can be much more satisfying from a financial point of view. Compare that to producing large stocks you can't sell right away and that need to be kept in large storage rooms. Selling out every time also warrants even more popularity. =)

Lobster

Banned
Humphrey Bogart said:

Not putting any effort? They ran out of silicone for goodness sake.:lol (note..am not laughing at my words but the fact that Nintendo ran out of silicone)

im not saying they should flood the channels PSP style or anything. they just need to ramp up production a substantial amount.

when every product you make sells out on a weekly basis, it's time to open up some factories.

money is being left on the table no matter how you look at it.

mutsu

Nice to see Wish Room sell well.

Surprised that Picross did so well as well.

Also surprised at Sangokushi Taisen! I guess there are just too many fans of the arcade game?

BlindN-Fan said:
Not putting any effort? They ran out of silicone for goodness sake.:lol (note..am not laughing at my words but the fact that Nintendo ran out of silicone)
i wondered why Nintendo were paying for old boob jobs to be redone with saline and keeping the Silicone!!

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Monster Hunter has immense legs for a PSP title, if MH2 helps it (I doubt it since they are not games like Yakuza-Yakuza 2) it could come really near 1m. I hope MGS has some legs too, hopefully PSP will gain some momentum with Tales of Destiny 2 (week prior to MH2) and then Monster Hunter 2.

I mentioned in an old mc thread that PS3 still does better hardware numbers than it should considering its software numbers. Probably it doesn't come from Blu-Ray either...I guess its potential and PS2-compatibility.

Kirby and Jump actually increased in sales according to VGcharts (It's pretty accurate just a tiny margin of error). Week ending 21st Kirby sold 10k and Jump sold 10k, this week it sold 13k and 10k respectively. Mekaiju sold 10k, undershipment from Atlus. The DS should sell just under 200k also.

VietBitter said:
Kirby and Jump actually increased in sales according to VGcharts. Week ending 21st Kirby sold 10k and Jump sold 10k, this week it sold 13k and 10k respectively. Mekaiju sold 10k, undershipment from Atlus.
I don't know what the whole of your post said, because i stopped right about the bolded bit

DefectiveReject said:
I don't know what the whole of your post said, because i stopped right about the bolded bit

You talk as if VGcharts is completely inaccurate, it's only a small margin of error.

No discussion about vgcharts please, we'll get totally legit numbers later so just wait, no need to use vgcharts.

Btw, I think this is major news, but since I read it in 2ch I won't make a thread about it...

Gundam Musou PS3 bundle planned.
http://gmstar.com/ps3/gundammusou.html

OPEN price (this web puts it at 69,800Y) on March 1st

1. PlayStation 3(60GB)
2. Game software "Gundam Musou"
3. "Gundam Musou" Technical FILE
4. "Gundam Musou" Character FILE
5. "Gundam Musou" Art cards (eight piece set)

Now some thinking...wtf, PS3 60GB is 60.000Y and the game is 7800 (on that web its at 6980, good deal I guess). Open price or not, looks like Sony wants this title to lead the console.

duckroll

Careful there, you mention VGCharts too much in a MC thread and you might just get banned!

Anyway don't expect any increase in numbers for Sekaiju in next week's charts either. It still hasn't been restocked. How does that feel Atlus? HAHAHAHA SUCK IT! :p

VietBitter said:
I'm sorry but you're the idiot, look at the sales and tell me where the huge errors are, exactly there is none you moron.
Another one of ioi's minions brainwashed into his faith.
VGCharts is about as accurate as a Sony Press Release.

duckroll said:
Careful there, you mention VGCharts too much in a MC thread and you might just get banned!

Anyway don't expect any increase in numbers for Sekaiju in next week's charts either. It still hasn't been restocked. How does that feel Atlus? HAHAHAHA SUCK IT! :p

Careful there Ducky, this is not entirely Atlus' fault.

It seems like there are shortages all round. And Nintendo can't keep up. It's all Nintendo's fault :(

I still don't get why people are so suprised about GTA:SA's opening week sales.

Yet you still can't show where the huge margin of errors are. Nothing can ever be totally accurate, not even your sacred Media-Create, so get off your high horse and calm down.

duckroll

Magicpaint said:
Careful there Ducky, this is not entirely Atlus' fault.

It seems like there are shortages all round. And Nintendo can't keep up. It's all Nintendo's fault :(

Why do I have to be careful? Atlus publishes the game, it's their responsibility. If they couldnt make enough carts maybe they should have delayed the launch? They have only themselves to blame for losing money and potential profits. The demand is very much there, but if they take another 2-3 weeks to restock, I doubt the demand will remain anymore. Tough, that's business Atlus! Mwahahaha!

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Now some thinking...wtf, PS3 60GB is 60.000Y and the game is 7800 (on that web its at 6980, good deal I guess). Open price or not, looks like Sony wants this title to lead the console.

Not a bad idea actually, but it doesn't help the price barrier either.

duckroll said:
Why do I have to be careful? Atlus publishes the game, it's their responsibility. If they couldnt make enough carts maybe they should have delayed the launch? They have only themselves to blame for losing money and potential profits. The demand is very much there, but if they take another 2-3 weeks to restock, I doubt the demand will remain anymore. Tough, that's business Atlus! Mwahahaha!

I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue for Atlus if cart production wasn't such a problem. I mean they wouldn't deliberately undership even when there clearly is demand, they just can't restock on time because it's impossible; tons of DS games are sharing similar problems too, including some of Nintendo's game. And their initial conservative approach to shipping is understandable with the game being a new IP and all. Personally, I think Nintendo should get with the program as it's biting a lot of publisher's asses.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
VietBitter said:
I'm sorry but you're the idiot, look at the sales and tell me where the huge errors are, exactly there is none you moron.

One of the basics of any kind of research methodology is that your data collection methods have to be public. If they are not, it doesn't matter if your data is right or wrong, it has to be treated as wrong. This is not a critique of any one particular site, just a basic fact of research.

Another fact of research is that when using secondary sources and combining data from multiple secondary sources, you need to provide the formula that you use to normalize them. Otherwise, there's no guarantee you are appropriately combining your data.

VietBitter said:
Yet you still can't show where the huge margin of errors are. Nothing can ever be totally accurate, not even your sacred Media-Create, so get off your high horse and calm down.

If you are going to attempt to question the credibility of Media Create, you probably shouldn't be doing it in a thread that a priori assumes Media Create to be credible.

And while I'm sure it feels insulting that people are insinuating that you're being dumb by referring to those particular numbers, you don't prove your point by saying "idiot" and "moron" or telling people to "get off their high horses"

Stumpokapow said:
One of the basics of any kind of research methodology is that your data collection methods have to be public. If they are not, it doesn't matter if your data is right or wrong, it has to be treated as wrong. This is not a critique of any one particular site, just a basic fact of research.

Another fact of research is that when using secondary sources and combining data from multiple secondary sources, you need to provide the formula that you use to normalize them. Otherwise, there's no guarantee you are appropriately combining your data.

If you compare data from Media-Create and VGcharts, they're not different by much. Isn't that what matters in the end? We're only using these numbers in a sales thread, not for business use. If Dengeki sales comes out and Kirby sells a bit more or less then 13k, does it really matter?

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
VietBitter said:
If you compare data from Media-Create and VGcharts, they're not different by much. Isn't that what matters in the end? We're only using these numbers in a sales thread, not for business use. If Dengeki sales comes out and Kirby sells a bit more or less then 13k, does it really matter?
Some people here hate vgcharts so to avoid confrontation it's best not to mention it.

VietBitter said:
i don't have to prove them wrong, you need to prove them right.
Do Nintendo or Sony or anyone use VGCharts as their sales data?
Nope they use what they've shipped or site NPD or Media Create, as do most gaming sites that report this kinda stuff.
Media Create is a professional body using formulas which are proven to be fairly accurate.
VGCharts is a guy who takes a figures adds 15% and takes away a cookie monster to come up with his figure.

Um, one question:

Development for PS3 is very expenisve afaik, and those games without an excetion bomb heavy...who are the specific studios surviving thosem assive financial flops?

DefectiveReject said:
i don't have to prove them wrong, you need to prove them right.
Do Nintendo or Sony or anyone use VGCharts as their sales data?
Nope they use what they've shipped or site NPD or Media Create, as do most gaming sites that report this kinda stuff.
Media Create is a professional body using formulas which are proven to be fairly accurate.
VGCharts is a guy who takes a figures adds 15% and takes away a cookie monster to come up with his figure.

Like I said it's a sales thread on a regular games forum, why does a few percentage of difference matter to you? Are you not going to be able to sleep knowing VGcharts tracked your Kirby game off by a thousand or two? In the end they're all estimates, and VGcharts provide them earlier then Dengeki.

VietBitter said:
Like I said it's a sales thread on a regular games forum, why does a few percentage of difference matter to you? Are you not going to be able to sleep knowing VGcharts tracked your Kirby game off by a thousand or two? In the end they're all estimates,
It pains me none whatsoever.
i could make a figure up and claim "Hey i was only out by 2000" but i wouldn't expect ANYONE to use my figures for anything, whatsoever!
and VGcharts provide them earlier then Dengeki.

I'll make sure to create a VGCharts sales thread next week then for Japanese sales and USA sales. !! And we'll discuss them in fine detail.

DefectiveReject said:
It pains me none whatsoever.
i could make a figure up and claim "Hey i was only out by 2000" but i wouldn't expect ANYONE to use my figures for anything, whatsoever!

I'll make sure to create a VGCharts sales thread next week then for Japanese sales and USA sales. !! And we'll discuss them in fine detail.

Hey if you can create estimates closer to Media-Create's data then VGcharts', then be my guest. But I'll tell you now, you'll fail miserably.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
VietBitter said:
Like I said it's a sales thread on a regular games forum, why does a few percentage of difference matter to you? Are you not going to be able to sleep knowing VGcharts tracked your Kirby game off by a thousand or two? In the end they're all estimates, and VGcharts provide them earlier then Dengeki.

If it's 12:02 and you ask me what time it is and I turn to the flashing 12:00 alarm that hasn't been set, and say "Uh, it's noon", am I telling you the right time? Think carefully.

duckroll

Magicpaint said:
I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue for Atlus if cart production wasn't such a problem. I mean they wouldn't deliberately undership even when there clearly is demand, they just can't restock on time because it's impossible; tons of DS games are sharing similar problems too, including some of Nintendo's game. And their initial conservative approach to shipping is understandable with the game being a new IP and all. Personally, I think Nintendo should get with the program as it's biting a lot of publisher's asses.

Nintendo doesn't care, they sell millions of their own games, and their system is selling like hotcakes. Atlus is the one who needs to get with the program if they want to stay competitive. If they can't maybe they should just leave.

Stumpokapow said:
If it's 12:02 and you ask me what time it is and I turn to the flashing 12:00 alarm that hasn't been set, and say "Uh, it's noon", am I telling you the right time? Think carefully.

It's off by two minutes, why would it matter? You still get the roughly the right time regardless. It's not like VGcharts pull numbers out of their ass, if they did why would their numbers be so close to Media-Creates?

VietBitter said:
Hey if you can create estimates closer to Media-Create's data then VGcharts', then be my guest. But I'll tell you now, you'll fail miserably.

Initiate Combo attack

image2kf3.jpg

image3pm2.jpg

image4zk8.jpg

image5pz2.jpg

Hey I’m tame compared to most VG haters around here, so I’d really honestly leave that talk out of these threads, its a Media Create thread and even ioi was reprimanded for discussing his site in these threads.

duckroll said:
Nintendo doesn't care, they sell millions of their own games, and their system is selling like hotcakes. Atlus is the one who needs to get with the program if they want to stay competitive. If they can't maybe they should just leave.

You're just angry because you still can't find Sekaiju no Meikyuu, and because Atlus hates you. :p

Look all I'm doing is using VGcharts data for two games in the lower end of the charts. I'm not creating threads of VGcharts top 10 and saying it's final. Is this much backlash really warranted?

duckroll

Magicpaint said:
You're just angry because you still can't find Sekaiju no Meikyuu, and because Atlus hates you. :p

Oh I'm definitely not angry, bitter maybe. I'm just glad I saved money and Atlus is now paying for their stupid mismanagement. So much for the game being able to pass 100k. Can't sell what you don't have! :lol

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
VietBitter said:
Look all I'm doing is using VGcharts data for two games in the lower end of the charts. I'm not creating threads of VGcharts top 10 and saying it's final. Is this much backlash really warranted?

VGcharts discussion was banned from media create threads. You're a Junior so maybe you didn't know, but now you know.

Top Bottom