• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 22 - 28

Goddamnit, quit this stupid VGCharts nonsense. I mean wasn't VGCharts banned from Media-Create threads? If not it should be extended to that.

duckroll said:
Oh I'm definitely not angry, bitter maybe. I'm just glad I saved money and Atlus is now paying for their stupid mismanagement. So much for the game being able to pass 100k. Can't sell what you don't have! :lol

There's still hope for 100K total worldwide!

EDIT: Oh goody, thanks for ironing that out sp0rsk. :D

duckroll

Magicpaint said:
I thought they've ironed that out? I mean that's the only other way I'd be able to buy the game, since they still hate Europe.

I would hope so, but who knows. I'm still in bitter mode! :lol

medrew

VietBitter said:
Hey if you can create estimates closer to Media-Create's data then VGcharts', then be my guest. But I'll tell you now, you'll fail miserably.

You are aware that VGcharts are based of the likes of Media-Create and Famitsu and then adjusted in unknown ways, so they are always going to be near the numbers we get released. The really questionable data is the games that we do not get numbers for from MC and Famitsu where VGcharts numbers are, in effect, nothing short of made up and pulled from the air as there is no source material to base/adjusts the numbers off.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
VietBitter said:
I'm sorry but you're the idiot, look at the sales and tell me where the huge errors are, exactly there is none you moron.

Maybe you didn't realise that VGCharts discussion is banned in M-C thread. VGCharts discussions don't happen in the Media Create threads because this same old shit keeps going on. Don't post VGCharts figures in a thread that is made to contain official Media Create figures, VGCharts figures are unsourced and use unexplained methodology which de facto removes any reason to pay attention to them when discussing official sales data. ioi could fix all these issues but refuses to do so. His loss.

...but when you registered you must have read the TOS which stated that personal insults will get you banned. No need for these kinds of childish posts.

D.Lo

MrSardonic said:
Maybe you didn't realise that VGCharts discussion is banned in M-C thread. VGCharts discussions don't happen in the Media Create threads because this same old shit keeps going on. Don't post VGCharts figures in a thread that is made to contain official Media Create figures, VGCharts figures are unsourced and use unexplained methodology which de facto removes any reason to pay attention to them when discussing official sales data. ioi could fix all these issues but refuses to do so. His loss.

...but when you registered you must have read the TOS which stated that personal insults will get you banned. No need for these kinds of childish posts.
Somebody should create a better VGcharts type site. People always seem to have the MC data, so why don't they?

Can everyone please stop talking about that site?

ANYWAY, I'm not blaming anyone per se, but Nintendo really should get their shipment issues in order. DQM:J, Sekaiju, FFIII, etc, have all run into cart production issues, and at least one (FFIII) has undeniably suffered, sales-wise, from that. (Not that Square cares too much, since the game has tripled their initial expectations of 300k.)

Hero

I love how it goes from "Nintendo gets all the sales of video games on their consoles, third parties are afraid to make games on their systems." to "Nintendo really needs to get their act together. All these games are having shortages! WTF Nintendo produce more cartridges!"

Maybe it's the third parties that should order more carts from Nintendo? Square-Enix could've had a lot more sales of FFIII if they weren't dumb and ordered more copies from Nintendo, and now Atlus with this new game, I could come up with more examples but why bother.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Pureauthor said:
Can everyone please stop talking about that site?

ANYWAY, I'm not blaming anyone per se, but Nintendo really should get their shipment issues in order. DQM:J, Sekaiju, FFIII, etc, have all run into cart production issues, and at least one (FFIII) has undeniably suffered, sales-wise, from that. (Not that Square cares too much, since the game has tripled their initial expectations of 300k.)

Maybe its a problem of third parties buying less carts due to unexpected demand. We don't know how is going the production of carts for DS, but you know, like Konami does ever.... you can order 100K production and then stay for a while if the production sells right. For me Square Enix wasn't predicting so good numbers with joker and FFIII.

tanasten said:
Maybe its a problem of third parties buying less carts due to unexpected demand. We don't know how is going the production of carts for DS, but you know, like Konami does ever.... you can order 100K production and then stay for a while if the production sells right. For me Square Enix wasn't predicting so good numbers with joker and FFIII.

FFIII, I could understand, but if they weren't predicting good sales for DQM:J then they're completely off their rocker.

(And even FFIII is suspect, given the absolutely massive advertising campaign that game had going for it.)

Bo130

muramura said:
It's nice to see Joker back up, I guess shortages knocked it off the top 30 last week, no?

Ya, Spot #42. And it'll be down there again next week caused by shortages :/

D.Lo

bloke said:
Wii ~80k
PS3 ~21k
If this keeps up, the Wii will be beating the PS2 at the same point in it's life.

And the PS3 isn't a mile away from Gamecube numbers for this point in it's life. If this keeps up it will be behind the Gamecube in a couple of months.

bud

D.Lo said:
If this keeps up, the Wii will be beating the PS2 at the same point in it's life.

And the PS3 isn't a mile away from Gamecube numbers for this point in it's life. If this keeps up it will be behind the Gamecube in a couple of months.

:)

Jonnyram said:
Honestly, can someone explain what is going on with PS3?
360 software is consistently outselling PS3 software on a weekly basis, but somehow PS3 hardware sales are three times higher each week. Considering how pitiful Blu-ray sales are, what is making the difference?

My answer? I'll get flamed for saying it, but I think the answer can be summarized in one word "Nationalism".

No buy super-deformed Gaijin box.

bud

speculawyer said:
My answer? I'll get flamed for saying it, but I think the answer can be summarized in one word "Nationalism".

...what?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
VietBitter said:
I'm sorry but you're the idiot, look at the sales and tell me where the huge errors are, exactly there is none you moron.

I can't believe this chump hasn't been banned yet. First using that site as "evidence" and then making straight-up personal attacks. And he's got like, what...60 posts? Teach this kid a lesson.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
speculawyer said:

Because Sony is an American company.

WHAT?

SleazyC

duderon said:

WHAT?
I think you misinterpreted what he said. He said Japanese people aren't buying Xbox 360s because it is from an American company. Or maybe I read it wrong?

PantherLotus said:
I can't believe this chump hasn't been banned yet. First using that site as "evidence" and then making straight-up personal attacks. And he's got like, what...13 posts? Teach this kid a lesson.

Anyway you... Get with posting those new Godfather screens i posted in your screen shots thread!!

duderon said:

WHAT?

Sony is a multi-national conglomerate. However, it is mainly a Japanese company . . . that is where it started and its shares trade on the Japanese stock exchange. (The 'SNE' traded on the NYSE is an ADR.)

ethelred

speculawyer said:
Sony is a multi-national conglomerate. However, it is mainly a Japanese company . . . that is where it started and its shares trade on the Japanese stock exchange. (The 'SNE' traded on the NYSE is an ADR.)

Sega started in the US, but the Saturn and Dreamcast did quite well there, didn't they?

SleazyC said:
I think you misinterpreted what he said. He said Japanese people aren't buying Xbox 360s because it is from an American company. Or maybe I read it wrong?

Or . . . they are buying the PS3 even though it doesn't have much software to support the Japanese company.

dyls

Hero said:
I love how it goes from "Nintendo gets all the sales of video games on their consoles, third parties are afraid to make games on their systems." to "Nintendo really needs to get their act together. All these games are having shortages! WTF Nintendo produce more cartridges!"

Don't you know that eveything in the world is Nintendo's fault? Third-party games don't sell? Nintendo's fault. Not enough cart supply for third-party games? Nintendo's fault. Sega can't get promised VC games up on time? Nintendo's fault. Child trips over own feet, drops ice cream? Nintendo's fault.

It's a much easier world to deal with when you realize, as so many Gaffers have, that all of the evils, atrocities, and general negligences in the universe can be traced directly back to Nintendo.

bud

speculawyer said:
Or . . . they are buying the PS3 even though it doesn't have much software to support the Japanese company.

And all the software is non-japanese right?

lol

ethelred said:
Sega started in the US, but the Saturn and Dreamcast did quite well there, didn't they?

No, Sega (SErvice games), started in Japan (but it was actually started by an American). It was mainly a Japanese company.

ethelred

speculawyer said:
No, Sega (SErvice games), started in Japan (but it was actually started by an American). It was mainly a Japanese company.

Honolulu Hawaii is in Japan? Then what the **** were they thinking with that whole Pearl Harbor incident?

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
The point is nationalism has little to nothing to do with console sales. This is retarded thinking and is a poor excuse for bad sales in Japan. If you make games catered to the population they will buy the console as we are seeing with the 360, which may have 4x greater sales YOY.

ethelred said:
Honolulu Hawaii is in Japan? Then what the **** were they thinking with that whole Pearl Harbor incident?

OK, you got me on the ancient history. But we are digressing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega

Sega Corporation (株式会社セガ, Kabushiki-gaisha Sega?) is an international video game software and hardware developing company, and a former home computer and console manufacturer. The company has had success in both arcades and the home console market, but in early 2001, they left the consumer console business and began concentrating on software development for multiple platforms. Sega was perhaps Nintendo's greatest rival in the 8 bit and 16 bit console wars.

Sega's main offices, as well as the main offices of its domestic division, Sega of Japan, are located in Ota, Tokyo, Japan. Sega's European division, Sega of Europe, is headquartered in the Chiswick area of London, England, United Kingdom. Sega's North American division, Sega of America, is headquartered in San Francisco, California, United States. The North American division moved from Redwood City, California in 1999.

duderon said:
The point is nationalism has little to nothing to do with console sales. This is retarded thinking and is a poor excuse for bad sales in Japan. If you make games catered to the population they will buy the console as we are seeing with the 360, which may have 4x greater sales YOY.

Hey, I said I'd get flamed for it . . . but that is my opinion. I'm not saying they are racist nor am I saying that all Japanese are nationalistic. I just believe that there is a relatively strong nationalism strain in Japan that drives many people to prefer to buy Japanese. And that nationalism explains why the Japanese s/w charts differ so greatly from the American/European charts.

Yeah, Blue Dragon helps the 360 . . . but four times almost nothing is still almost nothing.

ethelred

Well, specula seems like a real Japan expert, so I've got a question... this is something that's been bothering me, so maybe you can clear it up. Now, see, we know Japan hates Microsoft because it's an American company and so they refuse to buy its products (like the Xbox). But what kind of operating systems do they have on their computers?

speculawyer said:
And that nationalism explains why the Japanese s/w charts differ so greatly from the American/European charts.

Yeah, I don't know why those jingoes refuse to buy games like Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

speculawyer said:
Hey, I said I'd get flamed for it . . . but that is my opinion. I'm not saying they are racist nor am I saying that all Japanese are nationalistic. I just believe that there is a relatively strong nationalism strain in Japan that drives many people to prefer to buy Japanese. And that nationalism explains why the Japanese s/w charts differ so greatly from the American/European charts.

...you're saying this in a thread for Japanese SW sales for a week where the top-selling game was GTA: San Andreas, with over 220,000 units sold in a few days?

bud

Cosmonaut X said:
...you're saying this in a thread for Japanese SW sales for a week where the top-selling game was GTA: San Andreas, with over 220,000 units sold in a few days?

ethelred said:
Well, specula seems like a real Japan expert, so I've got a question... this is something that's been bothering me, so maybe you can clear it up. Now, see, we know Japan hates Microsoft because it's an American company and so they refuse to buy its products (like the Xbox). But what kind of operating systems do they have on their computers?

speculawyer, it's a trap

Taurus

speculawyer said:

Yeah, Blue Dragon helps the 360 . . . but four times almost nothing is still almost nothing.
Oh come on. Let's not get started with this crap again. The Xbox 360 itself is a great product but it doesn't offer the games the japanese like and the price is too high.

If you think the japanese are so nationalistic then why for example iPod is selling well instead of some japanese mp3 player?

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
speculawyer said:

It's enough to refute the argument that nationalism is keeping the Japanese away from the system. The PS3 is selling more than the 360 on brand name alone. If Microsoft ruled Japan and they launched their next console in the same vein as Sony is doing with the PS3, the outcome would be the same.

donny2112

D.Lo said:
Somebody should create a better VGcharts type site. People always seem to have the MC data, so why don't they?

verplant has a very nice site with Famitsu data. You'll have to really search through his post history, though, as he doesn't link to his site with every other post.

Burnst

Does anyone that can read Japanese care to translate some general consensus about the next gen systems from Japanese message boards? Do they have the same opinions as Americans? Really interested why the PS3 is that low..

Meier

sp0rsk said:
VGcharts discussion was banned from media create threads. You're a Junior so maybe you didn't know, but now you know.

I'm sure he knows.. very clearly ioi or someone he's had set up an account to shill for the site. Love how he says VGCharts has estimates up earlier than Dengeki -- maybe that's because Media-Works actually does research for their sales figures. :lol

Top Bottom