• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 22 - 28

duderon said:
The PS3 is selling more than the 360 on brand name alone. If Microsoft ruled Japan and they launched their next console in the same vein as Sony is doing with the PS3, the outcome would be the same.

I disagree.

The PS brand strength is very strong in the USA too . . . the PS2 completely won the previous generation. So why isn't the PS3 outselling the xbox 360 here? Why? Because the 360's lower price, year head-start, and bigger game library trump brand strength. So why doesn't that happen in Japan? In part due to less s/w in Japan . . . but also Nationalism, IMHO.

It is clear we disagree and I doubt either of us will convince the other of our position, so we might as well drop it.

(Why did the iPod win? Sony refused to give into MP3 and kept pushing the mini-disk. And as I said, the Nationalism isn't completely over-powering . . . so they picked up iPods since they were much better than the stupid mini-disk. And first mover & brand strength has carried Apple to the current win . . . just like here in the USA where Apple dominates. Again, it is just my opinion, you don't need to agree with me. )

bud

speculawyer said:
I disagree.

The PS brand strength is very strong in the USA too . . . the PS2 completely won the previous generation. So why isn't the PS3 outselling the xbox 360 here? Why? Because the 360's lower price, year head-start, and bigger game library trump brand strength. So why doesn't that happen in Japan? In part due to less s/w in Japan . . . but also Nationalism, IMHO.

It is clear we disagree and I doubt either of us will convince the other of our position, so we might as well drop it.

(Why did the iPod win? Sony refused to give into MP3 and kept pushing the mini-disk. And as I said, the Nationalism isn't completely over-powering . . . so they picked up iPods since they were much better than the stupid mini-disk. And first mover & brand strength has carried Apple to the current win . . . just like here in the USA where Apple dominates. Again, it is just my opinion, you don't need to agree with me. )

vandam.JPG

Burnst said:
Does anyone that can read Japanese care to translate some general consensus about the next gen systems from Japanese message boards? Do they have the same opinions as Americans? Really interested why the PS3 is that low..

I'd love to see such comments too. There was a very interesting thread wherein someone translated many Japanese comments on Gears of War. It was very insightful.
Found it . . . here it is.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
speculawyer said:
I disagree.

You said it yourself, the software caters to American audiences so they're going to snap the 360 up. Remember we don't know what each sold in January yet, so the PS3 could be outselling the 360. The nationalism argument has been trounced enough times now, you yourself are being bullheaded not wanting to accept the Japanese buy based on tastes rather than a brands origin.

Can't wait for the MC HD charts.
The only interesting expectation is PS2>PS3 ?
And why PSP do so well? new possibility of xxx movies download ?

KINGMOKU

I thought we already knew the hardware for this week?

These predictions are pretty damn close, as I learned last week.

donny2112

oldie-newbie said:
And why PSP do so well?

Code:
        Week 1   Week 2   Week 3   Week 4
2006:  132,757   57,686   38,271   30,657
2007:  118,186   48,804   37,032   37,000*

It would be the first week this year that it performed better than last year, so I wouldn't say that it's doing "so well" even if the early number is correct.

D.Lo said:
Somebody should create a better VGcharts type site. People always seem to have the MC data, so why don't they?
What would it do that we don't do here? We already have ways to make custom charts based on hardware data. Software data wouldn't be feasible to do in the long-term without estimating a lot of data from weeks when they don't make the top lists. Well, other than the biggest DS titles which never seem to drop off.

D.Lo said:
If this keeps up, the Wii will be beating the PS2 at the same point in it's life.
Yeah, it's closing in.
And the PS3 isn't a mile away from Gamecube numbers for this point in it's life. If this keeps up it will be behind the Gamecube in a couple of months.
Yeah, that too; it's about to hit the SSBM/holiday bump period in terms of weeks from launch.

Raw64life

DSL 194,526
Wii 83,754
PSP 35,700
PS2 20,995
PS3 19,996
Xbox360 7,365
GBM 1,177
GBASP 1,023
GC 347
DS 82
GBA 34

Zelda at #34.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Raw64life said:
DSL 194,526
Wii 83,754
PSP 35,700
PS2 20,995
PS3 19,996
Xbox360 7,365
GBM 1,177
GBASP 1,023
GC 347
DS 82
GBA 34

Zelda at #34.

Nice. Thanks.

Odysseus: Raw64 has posted MC numbers before, I'd believe him.

Odysseus

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
Nice. Thanks.

Odysseus: Raw64 has posted MC numbers before, I'd believe him.

well, you know how people love making realistic-looking predictions and all...

wii is a bit lower than i thought, still very impressive
ps3 is where i thought it would be, 360 is a tick higher, both highly irrelevant for the time being

Raw64life said:
DSL 194,526
Wii 83,754
PSP 35,700
PS2 20,995
PS3 19,996
Xbox360 7,365
GBM 1,177
GBASP 1,023
GC 347
DS 82
GBA 34

Zelda at #34.

My predictions:

DSL: ~190k
Wii: ~85k
PSP: ~30k
PS2: ~20k
PS3: ~30k
360: ~9k
GameCube: 572

Bit off on DSL. Nailed Wii. Off on PSP. Spot on PS2. LOL @ PS3. Bit off on 360. :( @ my GameCube prediction.

Raw64life said:
DSL 194,526
Wii 83,754
PSP 35,700
PS2 20,995
PS3 19,996
Xbox360 7,365
GBM 1,177
GBASP 1,023
GC 347
DS 82
GBA 34

Zelda at #34.

Wow. I'm always surprised by the DSLite. I would've figured the post holiday sales would be lower than last year, but they're not at all. I also figured the Wii would dent the hardware sales a little bit, but they're working together quite well.

My predictions:

My predictions are:

DSL: 174,889
Wii: 91,040
PSP: 39,883
PS2: 24,457
PS3: 19,896
360: 9,185
GBASP: 1,024
GBAMicro: 1,008
Gamecube: 916
GBA: 29
Xbox: 0

I'm a twat

:lol, Thanks Sprosk!

Holy shit at the PS3.

It really isn't great news to have your new system outsold by its 7 year-old predecessor so soon after launch, with no apparent supply issues...

ethelred

Um... yeah, really not a promising sign that A) the PS2 is outselling the PS3 at this point, and B) that the PS2 is doing so only by selling in the low 20k's.

Yikes.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Raw64life said:
DSL 194,526
Wii 83,754
PSP 35,700
PS2 20,995
PS3 19,996
Xbox360 7,365
GBM 1,177
GBASP 1,023
GC 347
DS 82
GBA 34

Zelda at #34.

*Whistles*

Wow...

Kaeru

Banned
Odysseus said:
well, you know how people love making realistic-looking predictions and all...

wii is a bit lower than i thought, still very impressive
ps3 is where i thought it would be, 360 is a tick higher, both highly irrelevant for the time being

you forgot to mention DS, which is awesome numbers.

Odysseus

Banned
Kaeru said:
you forgot to mention DS, which is awesome numbers.

well, i had only predicted the next/new gen console stuff. i have come to accept that every man, woman, and child in japan will eventually own 4 ds lites before it's all said and done.

GhaleonEB

I realize the 360 is doing terrible, but I never would have thought that the PS3 would only be selling 12k more at any point a few months ago.

I also just don't see how it's going to close the gap with the Wii. I know it's early and all, and things can change, but I just don't see a scenario in which the Wii loses momentum and the PS3 takes off enough to be the dominant force in Japan. I really think this is a sea-change in the industry there.

Busaiku

Ouch for the Playstation 3.
Selling so few at this point in its life can't be good for the future.

Though I am optimistic about Virtua Fighter and Gundam Musou, so there may be a surge in sales with those 2 titles.

GhaleonEB said:
I realize the 360 is doing terrible, but I never would have thought that the PS3 would only be selling 12k more at any point a few months ago.

I also just don't see how it's going to close the gap with the Wii. I know it's early and all, and things can change, but I just don't see a scenario in which the Wii loses momentum and the PS3 takes off enough to be the dominant force in Japan. I really think this is a sea-change in the industry there.

Quite. For whatever reason, the Japanese public just aren't that interested in the PS3 right now & the longer it drags along at 20,000-odd units a week, the harder it's going to be to bounce back from. What is there on the horizon that could help spring its sales back up? A price cut? Unlikely, given that it already had a cut prior to launch & I'd be astonished if it saw another one so soon. Games? All of the potential system-sellers look to be a year off, and barring any out-of-nowhere hit that drives sales it just doesn't seem that there's going to be anything to power the system through 2007.

It wouldn't be so bad if the Wii looked to be dropping off, but it seems to be maintaining a comfortable 70-80,000 a week & that with a relatively solid selection of games due in Japan in 2007, together with a pair of what look to be system-sellers in Wii Sports and Wii Play.

It's still early, but this is not an encouraging way for Sony to start 2007...

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Nintendo even more dominant than last week

piehardwarejan2228nh8.jpg

And since some of you seem unable to process a media create chart unless it is in pacman form...

pac28janyp6.jpg

Can't be bothered to do any other charts this week

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
MrSardonic said:
Nintendo even more dominant than last week

(stuff)

Can't be bothered to do any other charts this week

OMG YOU STOLE MY CHART DESIGN

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Top Bottom