• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 8 - 14

AniHawk

TheGreatDave said:
Right now, somebody at Square Enix is counting out the budget for Final Fantasy XIII, looking at the Media Create charts, and crying.

Oh the whole project can't cost more than $40,000,000.

Firestorm

Am I the only one who noticed that the Xbox is no where to be found on that list? Or did this happen last week and I just didn't notice until now?

GBA vs Xbox war finally over? =(

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Sony put out a press release saying that they shipped 1 million to Japan. Why are we still talking supply issues? It's quite obvious people want something new in Japan. Nintendo, with new IPs, are kicking ass and taking names over there. They want new experiences. Yet and still, people are saying, wait until Virtua Fighter 5 Devil May Cry 4. We saw what happened to Ridge Racer 7 and that Gundam game at launch, they tanked. The Wii is winning despite the fact that there is a very large disparity in cutting edge technology. They are doing it with new experiences and Nintendo is just parlaying what they have learned from the DS and are applying it correctly to the Wii. So, no, I don't think that it's too early to say that Nintendo owns Japan again. The Wii is closer to the pulse of what the Japanese consumer wants, that is why Nintendo is riding high again.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
TheGreatDave said:
Right now, somebody at Square Enix is counting out the budget for Final Fantasy XIII, looking at the Media Create charts, and crying.
No they aren't since they'll probably charge 10,000 yen for it.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
If there was 10 PS3s in Japan they would all sell out. This week there were 25,531 available and they all sold out.

i can't tell if this is sarcasm or not - but erm... there's PLENTY of PS3's to go round, they simply aren't selling.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Sony put out a press release saying that they shipped 1 million to Japan. Why are we still talking supply issues? It's quite obvious people want something new in Japan. Nintendo, with new IPs, are kicking ass and taking names over there. They want new experiences. Yet and still, people are saying, wait until Virtua Fighter 5 Devil May Cry 4. We saw what happened to Ridge Racer 7 and that Gundam game at launch, they tanked. The Wii is winning despite the fact that there is a very large disparity in cutting edge technology. They are doing it with new experiences and Nintendo is just parlaying what they have learned from the DS and are applying it correctly to the Wii. So, no, I don't think that it's too early to say that Nintendo owns Japan again. The Wii is closer to the pulse of what the Japanese consumer wants, that is why Nintendo is riding high again.

Ridge Racer 7 doing poorly isn't in any way indicative of the sales you can expect for Virtua Fighter and DMC though. Obviously the situation in Japan is changing right now but the PS3 still has huge titles that will sell as well as they're able to, give the install base.

Avalon

PhoenixDark said:
Of course not

Okay. I have been kind of under the assumption that Sony managed to get past their production problems like they claimed and actually managed to deliver those units as they claimed. I suppose if that's all they managed to ship it's not that bad.

TheGreatDave said:

Imminent: Very slightly touched up compilations Final Fantasy 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 & 10, 10-2 & 12 confirmed for Wii!

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
TheGreatDave said:
Ridge Racer 7 doing poorly isn't in any way indicative of the sales you can expect for Virtua Fighter and DMC though. Obviously the situation in Japan is changing right now but the PS3 still has huge titles that will sell as well as they're able to, give the install base.

Isn't Gundam a bigger seller over there, in comparison to VF and DMC? If Gundam couldn't move them, why should those two? Price for the console is still prohibitive and Wii appeal looks to be highest in japan.

donny2112

Famitsu Jan 1-7

1. NDS Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 247558 / 880642
2. NDS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 214274 / 4517089
3. WII Wii Sports 157024 / 710238
4. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 130021 / 3948235
5. WII Wii Play 126486 / 629671
6. NDS Brain Training 2 104728 / 3853366
7. NDS Hoshi no Kirby DS 97932 / 796065
8. NDS General Knowledge Training 97629 / 1014229
9. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 90468 / 3745489
10. NDS Mario Kart DS 61025 / 1845682
11. WII Wario Ware: Smooth Moves 60192 / 256958
12. NDS Jump Ultimate Stars 57841 / 606315
13. NDS Mega Man Star Force Pegasus/Leo/Dragon 56804 / 275975
14. PSP MGS: Portable Ops 53476 / 247899
15. NDS Love & Berry DS 52736 / 831470
16. WII Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 48567 / 333841
17. PS2 Yakuza 2 48357 / 513737
18. NDS Brain Training 48190 / 3050647
19. WII Dragon Ball Z Sparking Neo 42501 / NEW
20. NDS English Training 35698 / 1565316
21. PS2 Seiken Densetsu 4 35318 / 264842
22. WII Pokemon Battle Revolution 35004 / 165977
23. NDS Kanji Quiz DS 35001 / 375430
24. NDS 1000 Healthy DS Recipes 34730 / 229528
25. PS2 Yakuza (BEST) 33047 / 308387
26. PSP Tales of the World 32736 / 106591
27. NDS Tamagotchi 2 31369 / 744606
28. PS2 Momotarou Dentetsu 16 29019 / 196346
29. NDS Nintendogs 26243 / 1434131
30. NDS Tetris DS 26039 / 1011285

Tetris crossed 1 million, and we get an update on Nintendogs! :)

mollipen

DCharlie said:
i can't tell if this is sarcasm or not - but erm... there's PLENTY of PS3's to go round, they simply aren't selling.

SSSSSHHHH!

People see lower DS sales explained by saying that it was because of a lack of systems, and think if they say the same thing about the PS3, they'll be able to get away with it. You aren't supposed to call them on it!

Agent Icebeezy said:
Isn't Gundam a bigger seller over there, in comparison to VF and DMC? If Gundam couldn't move them, why should those two? Price for the console is still prohibitive and Wii appeal looks to be highest in japan.

Well, launch titles are always going to have limited sales in sell out situations. When the PS3 came out, the titles sold pretty much as well as they could, when you consider how many PS3s could potentially have been bought without games for whatever reason (price, selling on, who knows?). All I'm saying is a big title coming out for a console that's been out for a few months is more likely to get good sales than a title released at launch during a shortage.

duckroll

Agent Icebeezy said:

Yeah let's compare two established game series with a vague brand name. There are tons of different Gundam game series, some sell well, some are just cash-ins. It's not like a consistant series where the PS3 one is Gundam 6 or something. Tons of Gundam games bomb. :p

wsippel

Banned
AniHawk said:
Oh the whole project can't cost more than $40,000,000.
Hey, that's cool! So they only need to sell about 4 million copies? If FFXIII gets released in late 2009, the installed base might be sufficient...

Heidir said:
Wii 93,708
DSL 89,287
PSP 48,804
PS3 25,531
PS2 22,663
Xbox360 9,035
GBM 1,959
GBASP 1,547
GC 611
GBA 79
DS 41

Well guys, we´ll need a differnt front page story for tomorrow´s paper:

PS3 Underperforms!
Slightly, with respect to Bob´s expectations

Avalon said:
Okay. I have been kind of under the assumption that Sony managed to get past their production problems like they claimed and actually managed to deliver those units as they claimed. I suppose if that's all they managed to ship it's not that bad.

So you agree with me?

Virtua Fighter and DMC can and probably will sell. But who's buying them? Core gamers that probably already have a PS3 or are already planning to get them. It'll push sales but still won't pull the millions that Nintendo is pulling on games a fraction of the cost. Those two franchises are closer to the core audience which is a small market compared to what Nintendo's hitting.

PS2 was huge because of it's diversity. Right now, PS3 doesn't have that same diversity and is almost strictly aiming core gamer right now.

And yeah, PS3 is well in stock in Japan since Sony said they got a million shipped over there. If they ain't selling that million like hotcakes, then there's a problem somewhere.

Avalon

PhoenixDark said:
So you agree with me?

If Sony only managed to ship 25,531 and those units sold out then it's not exactly bad (though it would mean Sony really needs to start shipping more to Japan).

However, if Sony managed to get past it's production problems and shipped those one million units like they claimed then it's absolutely terrible.

Holy shit at those PS3 numbers. That's brutal. I wonder if some of Sony's audience is simply buying a PSP instead of the PS3. Because I don't think the PSP is doing anything to the DS. PSP might actually be hurting the PS3.

cvxfreak

I'll say, those PS3 sales are TERRIBLE. Absolutely, undeniably low given the stock available in EVERY store in Japan. There is NO shortage of PS3s in Japan AT ALL. Just horrible.

Avalon said:
If Sony only managed to ship 25,531 and those units sold out then it's not exactly bad (though it would mean Sony really needs to start shipping more to Japan).

However, if Sony managed to get past it's production problems and shipped those one million units like they claimed then it's absolutely terrible.
:lol

Didn't Sony say they shipped a million to Japan? I don't think there's a shortage of them. Wow ... I can't believe Sony has been humbled like this over there. Of course I suspect the system will pick in the next few weeks (it's gotta ... right?) ... but wow.

cvxfreak

soundwave05 said:
Didn't Sony say they shipped a million to Japan? I don't think there's a shortage of them. Wow ... I can't believe Sony has been humbled like this over there. Of course I suspect the system will pick in the next few weeks (it's gotta ... right?) ... but wow.

No, no shortages whatsoever. If you want a PS3 in Japan, you can get one by visiting only one store.

I think this will only be for one week though. If the Wii continues to hand it to the PS3 like this continually ... the implications for the overall market are bigger than what people think.

Deku

Banned
soundwave05 said:
I think this will only be for one week though. If the Wii continues to hand it to the PS3 like this continually ... the implications for the overall market are bigger than what people think.

I can think pretty big.

If the PS3 stumbles in Japan, or doesn't build a userbase fast enough (and I'm not saying they can't turn this around) ... it throws into question a lot. MGS4 probably would have to go to the 360 as well for instance for Konami to be able to hit their sales targets for the game.

FF13 might go to the Wii entirely and start from scratch. Of course again, I don't see Sony screwing up that badly ... this might have just been a bad week or something. *shrugs* Nintendo hasn't even launched things like Big Brain Academy Wii or Smash Bros. Brawl or Animal Crossing Wii or Wii Fitness ... this is crazy.

AniHawk

soundwave05 said:
FF13 might go to the Wii entirely and start from scratch. Of course again, I don't see Sony screwing up that badly ... this might have just been a bad week or something. *shrugs*

Yeah, I don't see THAT happening. Square will probably just eat the loss if they have to (they do have the DS to give them monies).

I don't want to jump the gun, but I think this might be the concerns of many people out there.

ps3bailub8.jpg

Dalthien

If the PS3 can only manage 25k per week for the next 3 or 4 months (until Easter :D ), then this battle could potentially be over by Easter. And given Japan's tendency to support one clear runaway winner every generation, that really makes you wonder if this might turn into a PS2/GC scenario, except with the Wii assuming the role of the PS2, and the PS3 assuming the role of the GC. It's still too early to make such statements, but this launch for the PS3 has been far worse than I could have imagined just a few months ago.
soundwave05 said:
The first implication I can think of is that all of those 3rd-party Playstation titles that people keep saying will save the PS3 - well, if the Wii becomes last gen's PS2, then the Wii will end up getting versions of all of those games anyway. In that scenario, the Wii would get a Virtua Fighter, a Devil May Cry, a Metal Gear Solid, a Ridge Racer, a Tekken, etc. Japanese companies would make sure that their prized properties were made available to the local mainstream console audience.

cvxfreak

Dalthien said:
The first implication I can think of is that all of those 3rd-party Playstation titles that people keep saying will save the PS3 - well, if the Wii becomes last gen's PS2, then the Wii will end up getting versions of all of those games anyway. In that scenario, the Wii would get a Virtua Fighter, a Devil May Cry, a Metal Gear Solid, a Ridge Racer, a Tekken, etc. Japanese companies would make sure that their prized properties were made available to the local mainstream console audience.

If Biohazard Umbrella Chronicles is a true Biohazard game worthy of the name (unlike the Gun Survivor games) then it has a good chance of outselling both versions of Biohazard 5 combined by virtue of being on the dominant platform.

I don't get how you go from selling 1 million PS2s overnight in Japan to running out of gas at 600k 2 months in with the PS3.

The Core PS3 isn't that much more expensive than the launch PS2 was. I mean ... wtf Kutaragi. This should have been in the bag.

Deku

Banned
Over by April, not by a long shot. April 2008 maybe. Sega Saturn built a pretty healthy lead in Japan before FF VII turned that around, granted that situation was vastly different (Saturn bombed everywhere else and Sega was losing credibility and bleeding cash at the point. And Nintendo was still the clear favorite to win the console wars and had yet to enter the market.)

I would not be too eager to draw comparisons to past experiences as what's happening today clearly has no historical precedence and unlike the Nintendo situation where 3rd parties were angry and were more than happy to move on, I'm sure there's some hesitation ditching a Sony platform that essentially gives them 80-90% of the software market with only a handful of 1st party titles to compete against.

Wii beat by DS Lite. This is the second week in a row I chide starship for a hardware prediction of his which turns out to be correct. :) And I'll be there to do it again next week!

If Wii stops selling and PS3 continues at this rate, it catches up to Wii July 12, 2007.

I don't want to be the guy overpimping my site, but I've recently been making some additions to my Media Create: This Week page. Since I've got things set up to easily enough make all sorts of line chart variants, I set links at the bottom to quite a few that could be interesting to watch; enough that it'd make for a bulky post for me to put the links right here.

Avalon

There is still the rest of the world to take into consideration. But it definitely look like the PS3 will get locked into second place in Japan pretty damn soon. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing since games like DMC, MGS, FF are made with a worldwide market in mind.

RaijinFY

soundwave05 said:
I don't get how you go from selling 1 million PS2s overnight in Japan to running out of gas at 600k 2 months in with the PS3.

The Core PS3 isn't that much more expensive than the launch PS2 was.

Yes but it's so unpopular...

cvxfreak

soundwave05 said:
The Core PS3 isn't that much more expensive than the launch PS2 was. I mean ... wtf Kutaragi. This should have been in the bag.

There's also the console's value to be taken into consideration. Why would someone want to buy a PS3 with few games when they can buy a Wii with Zelda, for example?

Top Bottom