• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 8 - 14

cvxfreak said:
There's also the console's value to be taken into consideration. Why would someone want to buy a PS3 with few games when they can buy a Wii with Zelda, for example?

I think the "DS Effect" in Japan as well may have more deeply rooted within Japan than people think. The game industry was after all declining even with the PS2. Sony's audience might be shrinking while Nintendo's simply has grown.

Cheesemeister said:
satoru-mcduck.jpg

:lol

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Clooose, but not quite:

PSP + PS2 + PS3 = 97,002
DS = 89,287

(89,328 if you include the original DS).

I remember the days the DS sold multiple times more than all the other systems combined! Seems like so long ago.

Yeah, I was looking at the other numbers.

DS 110k - Sony comb. 103k

Dalthien

Deku said:
Over by April, not by a long shot. April 2008 maybe. Sega Saturn built a pretty healthy lead in Japan before FF VII turned that around, granted that situation was vastly different (Saturn bombed everywhere else and Sega was losing credibility and bleeding cash at the point. And Nintendo was still the clear favorite to win the console wars and had yet to enter the market.)

I would not be too eager to draw comparisons to past experiences as what's happening today clearly has no historical precedence and unlike the Nintendo situation where 3rd parties were angry and were more than happy to move on, I'm sure there's some hesitation ditching a Sony platform that essentially gives them 80-90% of the software market with only a handful of 1st party titles to compete against.
I tend to agree with you. I'm not suggesting that the battle will be over by April, but this 25k number is really hard to fathom. Clearly, this number has nothing to do with supply - by all accounts (including Sony), the PS3 is readily available in large quantities. People just don't want it. If that 25k number is where it stays through April, and Nintendo can keep up with 75k per week, then all of a sudden you're looking at a gap of something like 2.5M to 900k already by the end of April. It's just wild speculation, but an idea of this sort would have been unimaginable just a couple of months ago. Now, it doesn't seem quite so crazy anymore...

We also have to look at the software sales. We know Sony's losing money on the machine so really. Just cause you got the install base, it means nothing if software isn't flying off the shelves.

I mean, even if the PS3 was able to do 100k a week, if the software was like 15k a week Sony would still be bleeding money.

cvxfreak

soundwave05 said:
I think the "DS Effect" in Japan as well may have more deeply rooted within Japan than people think. The game industry was after all declining even with the PS2. Sony's audience might be shrinking while Nintendo's simply has grown.

In respect to launches, the PS2 was an amazing value compared to the Dreamcast. You got a DVD player which was expensive in Japan, a system that could play all your favorite PSone games as well as the upcoming Dragon Quest VII and FFIX, and the lineup wasn't too bad compared to the PS3 now.

But the PS3 compared to Wii... Wii wins. Even 360 w/ Blue Dragon wins.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i'm only skimming but do people _seriously_ believe that there is still a shortage of PS3s here in Japan? I mean... enough playing around here... are some of you fo' reals?

DCharlie said:
i'm only skimming but do people _seriously_ believe that there is still a shortage of PS3s here in Japan? I mean... enough playing around here... are some of you fo' reals?
i think that people wish there was a shortage beause the other explanation is just too bizarre... but as for people atually thinking there is one, no.

Dalthien

cvxfreak said:
In respect to launches, the PS2 was an amazing value compared to the Dreamcast. You got a DVD player which was expensive in Japan, a system that could play all your favorite PSone games as well as the upcoming Dragon Quest VII and FFIX, and the lineup wasn't too bad compared to the PS3 now.

But the PS3 compared to Wii... Wii wins. Even 360 w/ Blue Dragon wins.
I tend to doubt it, but you have to wonder if the DQIX announcement has had any effect on people's desire to pick up a PS3.

heidern

Oh dear, these ps3 sales are awful. In fact with the reports of plentiful supply, they're arguably catastrophic. I know the normally reasonable thing is to say that it is still too early to make a call, but the thing is, if people aren't buying systems now, they're not simply going to turn around and start buying them tomorrow. That will only happen if something changes, if something makes them decide to buy one. Sony and their 3rd parties have to come out and deliver the goods in terms of software.

But with the Wii going gangbusters that window of opportunity is not so big. And well, as far as I can see the line up is fairly pedestrian. At the very least it looks like a rocky road in the short term, but really, total domination by the Wii looks close to being an inevitibility.

KINGMOKU

Just thought I'd post this, ya know, for a chuckle or two;

" We have built up a certain brand equity over time since the launch of PlayStation in 1995 and PS2 in 2000 that the first five million are going to buy it, whatever it is, even if it didn't have games."~Sony Computer Entertainment Europe CEO David Reeves

I certainly like the part about games. I wonder if someone could get a quote out of him nowadays?

Deku

Banned
moku said:

" We have built up a certain brand equity over time since the launch of PlayStation in 1995 and PS2 in 2000 that the first five million are going to buy it, whatever it is, even it didn't have games."~Sony Computer Entertainment Europe CEO David Reeves

I certainly like the part about games. I wonder if someone could get a quote out of him nowadays?

To be quite honest, a Steve Kent style historical account of this console cycle may have a funny anecdote in the future about how Sony forgot about making games for the PS3 while developing the hardware.

It's a bit of a stretch but it does seem like their divisions were just off in space doing their own thing. Launching Resistance as their premiere title in Japan was stupid, and then losing Dragon Quest IX which caused the the great implosion of 2006 on GAF and many other fan communities.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
moku said:

" We have built up a certain brand equity over time since the launch of PlayStation in 1995 and PS2 in 2000 that the first five million are going to buy it, whatever it is, even if it didn't have games."~Sony Computer Entertainment Europe CEO David Reeves

Quite off topic, but "brand equity" sounds like "political capital" to me for some reason. :lol

RaijinFY

Deku said:
To be quite honest, a Steve Kent style historical account of this console cycle may have a funny anecdote in the future about how Sony forgot about making games for the PS3 while developing the hardware.

It's a bit of a stretch but it does seem like their divisions were just off in space doing their own thing. Launching Resistance as their premiere title in Japan was stupid, and then losing Dragon Quest IX which caused the the great implosion of 2006 on GAF and many other fan communities.

DQIX on DS will be nothing compared to what It could be if FFVIIr is announced on Wii... :lol :lol :lol :lol

I hope they do remake FF7 on the Wii. Even if they just used a souped up version of the FF12 engine it would look a lot better than the badly aging PSOne original.

Also, they could then put Cloud and Sephiroth into Smash Brothers Brawl. :)

soundwave05 said:
I hope they do remake FF7 on the Wii. Even if they just used a souped up version of the FF12 engine it would look a lot better than the badly aging PSOne original.

Also, they could then put Cloud and Sephiroth into Smash Brothers Brawl.

I can feel the GAF thread after just reading that post.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
PhoenixDark said:

PD stop screwing around with the juniors. You just get everyones' hopes up and now people think there's a PS3 shortage :lol

I definitely think 25k is the lowpoint for PS3 hardware sales.

soundwave05 said:

Even if a FFVIIIr was actually announced for the Wii, there's no way it would come out before SSBB.

Wait for Super Smash Brothers: Into the Fray or somethnig for WiiHD. :)

Odysseus

Banned
moku said:

ohsnap.gif

donny2112

Yamauchi said:
Can the dude who makes the cumulative next gen chart in Japan please post it? Kthx

He's banned for a week or two. Here's his cumulative chart and other data, though.

PantherLotus said:
This Week Sales:
mc-sales-070801.jpg

Sales History:
mc-sales-history.gif

Since 11/27/07 - 7 total weeks:
360 - 2nd lowest week. Consistently insignificant (TM). (avg. week = 16,851)
Wii - 3rd lowest week. Lower than the 6-week trend. (avg. week = 172,669)
PS3 - lowest week to date. Lower than the trend. (avg. week = 56,662)

mc-LTDs-7.jpg

Results, Analysis, & Expectations
The 360's sales are so insignificant that their inclusion in the data tracking is almost insulting. At this point it's just a 3rd color on the chart and should never, ever be regarded as more than such. Without significant change, price drops ($99 Core Pack?), numerous mega-Japanese-exclusives (FF, DQ, etc), or extraordinary cultural change (another nuclear bomb), the 360 has no hope of ever reaching 500k.

Sony's first post-holiday PS3 sales are disgusting. No, it's not panic time, but now would be the time to make some announcements. The FFXIII demo is a start, but it's going to take much, much more than that. The complete collapse of the PS2 sales is the worst possible sign for the PS3 at this point. Everybody knows that PS3s are available -- and nobody is buying them. There could be any number of possible reasons, including the games, the price, or a changing console audience and their expectations. I suspect it is a combination of all three. But god damn. Sony, if you have a plan, now would be a good time to reveal some of it. A couple months of sales like this in conjunction with the competitions' continuing sales will be highly damaging to long-term success. Nobody can hope that FFXIII, GT5, and MGS4 will carry this thing alone. Those will help but Sony needs to find that next-gen mega-wow. I expect that they will try.

The Wii's first 7 weeks have been very solid, already hitting 1.2 mil and more than doubling the PS3s sales to date. Seeing Wii Play and Wii Sports is an absolute mirror of seeing Brain Training on top for the DS, and Nintendo can expect a similar "it has legs" type of sales for those titles. The market should be expecting many similar updates, in the same vein as the Brain Training updates. It's cliche at this point, but Nintendo would be well served to attempt to replicate the DS market by serving it the same type of genre-creating titles. Call them non-games, call it kiddie, call them grannies or "those crazy Japanese." Nintendo calls it money.

Expectations for 01/15-01/21
360 - 8k
Wii - 120k
PS3 - 40k

This Week's Market Share:
mc-marketshare-070801.jpg

Market Share History:
mc-marketshare-history.gif

Code:
Date                    360             Wii             PS3

11/27-12/03:            25%             49%             26%
12/04-12/10:            24%             49%             27%
12/11-12/17:            21%             50%             29%
12/18-12/24:            17%             57%             26%
12/25-12/31:            16%             56%             28%
01/01-01/07:            15%             58%             27%
01/08-01/14:            14%             59%             27%

Pureauthor said:
Even if a FFVIIIr was actually announced for the Wii, there's no way it would come out before SSBB.

Wait for Super Smash Brothers: Into the Fray or somethnig for WiiHD. :)

Well they could announce it, and then have Cloud/Sephy in as characters as a teaser for FFVIIr. You know Square-Enix would love the free advertising.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
soundwave05 said:

SSB: GameFAQ edition.

Jonnyram

soundwave05 said:

I don't think it's necessary to release a game on the Wii to get your character into SSB. Look at Snake :p

Deku

Banned
I'm partial to a remake of one of their older FF games but obviously is Square-Enix is serious about Wii development they'll need a graphics engine on the Wii. The one for DQ Swords might be for their other DQ projects, there's really none so far that's for a Final Fantasy game. Perhaps Crystal Chronicles might have a nice engine.

Deku said:
Over by April, not by a long shot. April 2008 maybe. Sega Saturn built a pretty healthy lead in Japan before FF VII turned that around
What's your source on that? Usually geimin.net/da/fa 's near-complete Famitsu data going back to October 1998 is enough for my purposes, but not in this case. FWIW VGCharts has PS1 and SS pretty even through ~4 million units/2 years at which point FF VII releases and they part ways, but that's no primary source.

duckroll

Unconfirmed first day figures for this week:

.hack//GU Vol3 - 70k
Shining Force EXA - 64k
Wario of Seven - 60k
Excite Truck - 32k
Dragon Shadow Spell - 30k
Sekaiju no Meikyu - 23k

RaijinFY

duckroll said:

.hack//GU Vol3 - 70k
Shining Force EXA - 64k
Wario of Seven - 60k
Excite Truck - 32k
Sekaiju no Meikyu - 23k

Heh...

duckroll said:

.hack//GU Vol3 - 70k
Shining Force EXA - 64k
Wario of Seven - 60k
Excite Truck - 32k

Sekaiju no Meikyu - 23k

So awesome.

And what's the Sekaiju no Meikyu game?

ethelred

duckroll said:

.hack//GU Vol3 - 70k
Shining Force EXA - 64k
Wario of Seven - 60k
Excite Truck - 32k
Sekaiju no Meikyu - 23k

Really low start for Etrian Odyssey. :(

Deku

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
What's your source on that? Usually geimin.net/da/fa 's near-complete Famitsu data going back to October 1998 is enough for my purposes, but not in this case. FWIW VGCharts has PS1 and SS pretty even through ~4 million units/2 years at which point FF VII releases and they part ways, but that's no primary source.

No source, just my memory of the market back then and recalling SS outselling the PS early on. If you have a source that's not VG charts, I'd like to see it and I'll correct myself if I'm mistaken. If your data is private I understand, you can just correct me.

Do you know SS's largest lead from the PS?

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
duckroll said:

.hack//GU Vol3 - 70k
Shining Force EXA - 64k
Wario of Seven - 60k
Excite Truck - 32k
Sekaiju no Meikyu - 23k
Good start for Wario and Excite Truck.
Wario would sell about 100k in its first week.

Top Bottom