• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jul 27-Aug 2, 2009

cvxfreak

wrowa said:
As long as the CCPro bundle is still available, people don't will buy the standalone version. After that the bundle is sold out the sales of the standalone version will begin to rise. It's just my personal guess, but I'm confident that people are simply not buying the game without the CC because they don't see a reason to buy the naked game while the bundle is still available.

It should also be noted that:

1. Bic, though big, is not the biggest retailer in Japan. Yodobashi is bigger, for starters.
2. Not everyone may know about the price collapse, thus continuing to buy whatever bundles they find
3. Bic may have ordered too many standalones, while other retailers may have appropriated correctly
4. A combination of the above

With Monster Hunter G, it's clear that selling a Wii game only functions with a classic controller standalone is not a good idea. The jury's still out on MH3. I think the price collapses for the bundles will be more telling given what we know about the actual sales ratios.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Dragona Akehi said:
Well one thing's for sure: Nintendo won't be having a new 3rd party million seller for a long time.

Are you saying Tri won't make it?

test_account

XP-39C²
Does anyone know why the MH3 + CC Pro bundle seems to be more in demand compared to the standalone game of MH3?

As ccbfan mentioned earlier in this thread, with MHG for the Wii, the CC bundle included a special CC controller and you have to use a CC to play MHG for the Wii. But with MH3, the MH3 + CC bundle includes a standard CC Pro controller (i think?) which is also sold sepeartely in stores, and you dont need a CC controller to play MH3. I was under the impression that many people prefered to buy the MHG + CC bundle because of the special CC controller, and for collection purposes.

I guess that the MH3 + CC Pro bundle has its collection value as well though mostly because of the big/special box that this bundle has, and maybe that is why many people wants to buy the MH3 + CC Pro bundle instead of the standalone MH3 game? I would at least prefer the MH3 + CC Pro bundle because of the big/special box instead of buying the standalone MH3 and a CC Pro seperately :)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Dragona Akehi said:
Yeah.... Monster Hunter Tri having a price drop in week two does not bode well for its future.

I mean, a Price Collapse, already?

Hyperbole much?
There's no *Price Collapse* of sort, yet.

markatisu

test_account said:
Does anyone know why the MH3 + CC Pro bundle seems to be more in demand compared to the standalone game of MH3?

As ccbfan mentioned earlier in this thread, with MHG for the Wii, the CC bundle included a special CC controller and you have to use a CC to play MHG for the Wii. But with MH3, the MH3 + CC bundle includes a standard CC Pro controller (i think?) which is also sold sepeartely in stores, and you dont need a CC controller to play MH3. I was under the impression that many people prefered to buy the MHG + CC bundle because of the special CC controller, and for collection purposes.

I guess that the MH3 + CC Pro bundle has its collection value as well though mostly because of the big/special box that this bundle has, and maybe that is why many people wants to buy the MH3 + CC Pro bundle instead of the standalone MH3 game? I would at least prefer the MH3 + CC Pro bundle because of the big/special box instead of buying the standalone MH3 and a CC Pro seperately :)

MH fans are all about collectible boxes, price does not matter (it never has)

And can we stop the drama, its not a universal price collapse on the entire line of MH3 skus

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I hope I don't derail this thread too much, but I didn't want to start a thread entirely for this.

I've begun training in Excel at work, and I'd like to join sales age in tracking sales of games/consoles etc. from US/Japan/Europe. Where should I start as far as resources go?

Dragona Akehi said:
Not at this rate, I don't. I got bad vibes.

But I could be wrong. I'm really no good with the analyst game, unlike everyone here.

For it to not reach a million would be pretty shocking to me given that it sold 520,000 in two days. It might not make it by much, but it should certainly be able to get there.

schuelma

Dragona Akehi said:

But I could be wrong. I'm really no good with the analyst game, unlike everyone here.

Well I think we need to see how it sells tomorrow to get any indication. It could be at 800K tomorrow according to Famitsu if it does a bit over 200K. That would make it pretty likely to break a million IMO.

Obviously the standalone isn't selling as well, but the CC pack seems to be selling very well which tells me there hasn't been an absolute collapse in demand or anything.

schuelma

Dragona Akehi said:
60% off isn't a Price Collapse? Especially during its second week of sales?

It's a price collapse at one online retailer of one of the three versions of the software that is available. I think that's a bit different than every SKU being dumped at every single retailer.

Also, I tried to find other online retailers and the only other big drop I saw was Amazon which is offering it at 27% off, 8% higher than their usual discount.

I think it will sell 1m units. I thought it would reach it within the first month, but with this news I guess that's not going to happen. I believe it will have decent legs into the holiday season and will reach the million in December. All of this depends on the numbers we get tomorrow.

wrowa

test_account said:
Imagine you want to buy MH3 and you don't own a CC yet. Since you already played countless hours MH on PSP or PS2 you don't want to play it with the Wiimote/Nunchuk -- you want it completely traditional! So you need a CC.

Now what would you do? Buy the MH3 bundle with a CCPro or buy MH3 and the CC Pro seperately? It's as easy as that. As long as the bundle isn't sold out there is no reason to buy game and controller seperately.

test_account

XP-39C²
markatisu said:
MH fans are all about collectible boxes, price does not matter (it never has)
Ye, i guess that many people prefer the MH3 + CC Pro bundle because of that big/special box as you say :) I know that i would have prefered this big/special box instead of buying the standalone MH3 game and a CC Pro seperately at least :)

markatisu said:
And can we stop the drama, its not a universal price collapse on the entire line of MH3 skus
Maybe you are talking more in general, but i didnt mean to talk drama or anything like that. I agree that it might be a bit too early to know for sure how much this price collapse will affect MH3 sales in Japan in general.

markatisu

In regards to MH3, the numbers we will get are practically the remainder of MH3 first week correct?

test_account said:
Ye, i guess that many people prefer the MH3 + CC Pro bundle because of that big/special box as you say :) I know that i would have prefered this big/special box instead of buying the standalone MH3 game and a CC Pro seperately at least :)

I bought the bundle to have the cool box sit next to my MHG Wii box, I am convinced I am not the only one :lol

If the bundles sell out, I've been thinking if Nintendo and Capcom would be willing to have retailers send them back some of the standalones so Nintendo and Capcom can bundle them and ship the bundle back to the retailer.

Beats having to price drop I would think.

Just a thought.

test_account

XP-39C²
wrowa said:
Imagine you want to buy MH3 and you don't own a CC yet. Since you already played countless hours MH on PSP or PS2 you don't want to play it with the Wiimote/Nunchuk -- you want it completely traditional! So you need a CC.

Now what would you do? Buy the MH3 bundle with a CCPro or buy MH3 and the CC Pro seperately? It's as easy as that. As long as the bundle isn't sold out there is no reason to buy game and controller seperately.
Ye, i guess that this is the main reason for why people prefer the MH3 + CC Pro bundle instead of buying the standalone MH3 game and a CC Pro seperately. As i mentioned to markatisu in my previous post here, i know that i would have prefered this big/special box instead of buying the standalone MH3 game and a CC Pro seperately at least :)

I am curious if Capcom will restock the MH3 + CC Pro bundle when it gets sold out, or if they will at least wait a while with restocking in hope that more people will buy the standalone MH3 game?

By the way, does anyone know how much the MH3 + CC Pro bundle cost compared to buying the standalone MH3 game and a CC Pro seperately?

Spiegel

Dragona Akehi said:

The japanese blog pointed this:

bic_mhp2g.jpg
3744.jpg

Dragona Akehi said:

I really think your over-reacting. Essentially what's happening is that one SKU of the game is selling far better than the other due to the people preferring it as well as feeling that its overpriced, and because of this there is one retailer that is giving a hefty discount to loose that glut SKU.

Didn't the same thing happen with Monster Hunter G Wii?

wrowa

Thunder Monkey said:
:lol

What did sales just completely dive bomb after the first week?
We can only speculate at this point. To anwser the question we have to wait until Famitsu releases the second week numbers tomorrow.

At this stage - and without more reports or sales numbers - the most reasonable supposition is that demand for the standalone is poor, at least at this retailer. Jumping from there to assuming that demand for all SKUs has fallen through the floor seems premature.

test_account

XP-39C²
markatisu said:
In regards to MH3, the numbers we will get are practically the remainder of MH3 first week correct?
Ye, since the 1st week's numbers that were reported only included 2 days of sales (Saturday and Sunday). If MH3 would have been released on Thrusday instead (which is a day that games usually gets released on Japan), the 1st week's number would probably be higher. I wonder how much higher the MH3 sales would have been in the 1st week's reported number if MH3 would have 4 days of sales instead of 2 days of sales. I am looking forward to see the 2nd week's reported numbers at least :)

markatisu said:
I bought the bundle to have the cool box sit next to my MHG Wii box, I am convinced I am not the only one :lol
Nice! :) Ye, i also prefer those limited and/or special edition boxes :)

SlipperySlope said:
If the bundles sell out, I've been thinking if Nintendo and Capcom would be willing to have retailers send them back some of the standalones so Nintendo and Capcom can bundle them and ship the bundle back to the retailer.

Beats having to price drop I would think.

Just a thought.
I think that this is an interesting though :) I actually thought about this myself earlier today. I wonder what is most profitable for Capcom and/or Nintendo, to get standalone copies of MH3 shipped back from the retailers, then repack these copies into MH3 + CC Pro bundles and then ship this back or to print up new copies of the standalone MH3 game.

But even if it should be cheaper to print up new copies of the standalone MH3 game instead of getting excisting copies shipped back from the retailers, i would say that getting excisting copies shipped back from the retailers to be the best solutions for the retailers at least, since then the retailers will get less standalone copies of MH3 in stock. If the retailers have some problems selling the standalone MH3 game for full price, reducing this stock and replace it with the MH3 + CC Pro bundle instead might be a good thing for the retailers indeed as you say, i agree :)

schuelma

Cosmonaut X said:
At this stage - and without more reports or sales numbers - the most reasonable supposition is that demand for the standalone is poor, at least at this retailer. Jumping from there to assuming that demand for all SKUs has fallen through the floor seems premature.

Seriously.

donny2112

RurouniZel said:
I hope I don't derail this thread too much, but I didn't want to start a thread entirely for this.

I've begun training in Excel at work, and I'd like to join sales age in tracking sales of games/consoles etc. from US/Japan/Europe. Where should I start as far as resources go?

Start with consoles. 1) There's fewer of them. 2) There's more available data on them.

For Japan, garaph.info has the weekly hardware sales going back to ~2000.
For the U.S., you can go through the NPD threads to 2006 for data, or for just the three main home consoles, you can go here.
For Europe, look for the threads Captain Smoker has created. He occasionally posts LTD updates that have been gleaned from various sources in a thread. Also, you can try the "Whispers on the Wind" thread here.

And just to throw in a random data point on the MH3 SKU breakdown, the Comgnet rankings for last week have the MH3 standalone and MH3 CCPro SKUs selling about equal (162 to 136). Again, random data point, but at least at Comgnet stores, the two SKU sets are selling close to each other.

Xeke

Banned
I think people saying it wont reach a million are being a bit short sighted. How long did it take Super Mario 64 DS to reach a million?

donny2112

Xeke said:
How long did it take Super Mario 64 DS to reach a million?

I feel quite safe in saying that Monster Hunter 3 will not sell for as long as Super Mario 64 DS has. For one, this is Capcom. MHP2G was still in the Top 30 when they released the MHP2G (BEST) SKU. They aren't ones for leaving games to sell forever. For two, Monster Hunter on consoles has been a much more frontloaded series than Mario games are.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Out of curiosity, how is each version priced?

I want to say that at MSRP, you save $5 getting the CCPro bundle versus buying the pieces separately.

wrowa

Xeke said:
I think people saying it wont reach a million are being a bit short sighted. How long did it take Super Mario 64 DS to reach a million?
Only a few games have the legs of a Mario game :p
The PSP Monster Hunters belong to these group of games though. But we still do not know how much of the PSP success will be transfered to to the Wii. The general consensus is that the legs will be much smaller -- but to what degree? MH3 is simply a special case since there isn't a game with similiar circumstances we can compare it to.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
donny2112 said:
Start with consoles. 1) There's fewer of them. 2) There's more available data on them.

For Japan, garaph.info has the weekly hardware sales going back to ~2000.
For the U.S., you can go through the NPD threads to 2006 for data, or for just the three main home consoles, you can go here.
For Europe, look for the threads Captain Smoker has created. He occasionally posts LTD updates that have been gleaned from various sources in a thread. Also, you can try the "Whispers on the Wind" thread here.

And just to throw in a random data point on the MH3 SKU breakdown, the Comgnet rankings for last week have the MH3 standalone and MH3 CCPro SKUs selling about equal (162 to 136). Again, random data point, but at least at Comgnet stores, the two SKU sets are selling close to each other.

Many thanks! :) I'm so far behind it's gonna take a while for me to catch up to all of you! ^^

I hope to hear good news about MH3 sales tomorrow, the gameplay vids look awesome!

schuelma

If you use Famitsu's numbers of 588K sold in 2 days, it would have to display really really poor legs to not eventually reach it. Especially given that we know there were at least a million copies shipped in the first place.

EDarkness

Spiegel said:
The japanese blog pointed this:

bic_mhp2g.jpg
3744.jpg

When I get off work, I'll hop by Bic to see what the status of the game is there. They had tons of the regular edition a few days ago. Not sure where it's at now, but I'll see what I can find out.

donny2112

zero_suit said:
So people are overreacting then..

The fact the price is being slashed 59% anywhere at all after 1.5 weeks isn't good, but it's a far cry from a general price collapse, yes.

Edit:
Price collapse ...
collapse.gif

... or not.

Xeke

Banned
donny2112 said:
I feel quite safe in saying that Monster Hunter 3 will not sell for as long as Super Mario 64 DS has. For one, this is Capcom. MHP2G was still in the Top 30 when they released the MHP2G (BEST) SKU. They aren't ones for leaving games to sell forever. For two, Monster Hunter on consoles has been a much more frontloaded series than Mario games are.

I want to say that at MSRP, you save $5 getting the CCPro bundle versus buying the pieces separately.

I guess my point is that that game had a long way to go to make it to a million and MH3 would have to REAALLY stop selling to make it that far, especially given 2.5 years like 64DS.

donny2112

Xeke said:
especially given 2.5 years like 64DS.

Most games stop being tracked within a year of release due to very low weekly sales and essentially selling out of their shipment. Therefore for most games, 2.5 years just means 1.5 years of selling nothing.

markatisu

A Link to the Snitch said:
MHTri is going to be nowhere near the PSP games, but hasn't it already done better than the PS2 games did?

After this weeks numbers it should have outsold the PS2 version and will be the biggest selling third party Wii game ever in JP

Yup, super bomba there

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Dragona Akehi said:
Dash Kappei said:
Hyperbole much?
There's no *Price Collapse* of sort, yet.

*One* online retailer and only on the sku with far less demand out of the three available: No, I don't think it's fair to call it a price collapse.
It may still happen, but there's no evidence of it at the moment.
We should really wait for Famitsu's second week numbers.

Dash Kappei said:
*One* online retailer and only on the sku with far less demand out of the three available: No, I don't think it's fair to call it a price collapse.
It may still happen, but there's no evidence of it at the moment.
We should really wait for Famitsu's second week numbers.

It's still sixty percent. In its second week.

Top Bottom