• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jul 27-Aug 2, 2009

Sengoku Basara 3 just got announced for Wii.

PS2 - Sengoku Basara 2 285.525
PS2 - Sengoku Basara 2 Eiyuu Gaiden 210.025
PS2 - Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes 176.562
PS2 - Sengoku Basara 167.445

The series is exactly what Nintendo should be looking for to court for the Wii. Mid-range series like this and Persona are really needed to fill in the release schedule and keep gamers buying the console.

Not sure what the sales outlook for the title is on the Wii, but the franchise did see an increase in sales with the sequel, so it could be growing in popularity. I'm not too familiar with the series though... so I can't really guess.

Jonnyram

Dash Kappei said:
*One* online retailer and only on the sku with far less demand out of the three available: No, I don't think it's fair to call it a price collapse.
It may still happen, but there's no evidence of it at the moment.
We should really wait for Famitsu's second week numbers.
It's not just one - there was a smaller store that was selling it for 4000 yen last week. This is the first major store to drop the price. There's a Messe Sanoh blog, and the poster says if the "best price" site crawlers catch Bic's online price, everyone else will start dropping their prices to match. He says the last game where something like this happened was Gundam One Year War on the PS2.

EDarkness

Dash Kappei said:
*One* online retailer and only on the sku with far less demand out of the three available: No, I don't think it's fair to call it a price collapse.
It may still happen, but there's no evidence of it at the moment.
We should really wait for Famitsu's second week numbers.

I went to my local Bic after work and prices for all versions are still the same. From what I found out the regular SKU isn't selling well, but the bundled version is doing pretty well. I wouldn't doubt there would be a price collapse at some point since they had a bunch of the regular version on the shelf. Considering you can get copies of the regular version everywhere, I don't see any reason why someone would order online. I'll check with them later this week to see how things are, but from what I can tell people are still buying the game.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Jonnyram said:
There's a Messe Sanoh blog, and the poster says if the "best price" site crawlers catch Bic's online price, everyone else will start dropping their prices to match. He says the last game where something like this happened was Gundam One Year War on the PS2.

Oh My God It's a DISASTERRRRR

EDarkness

jrricky said:
Wow, I wish successful games like this get a price cut after 1.5 over here.

My personal opinion on this is that they overshipped the game. Or they should have only had the classic controller Pro version.

schuelma

EDarkness said:
My personal opinion on this is that they overshipped the game. Or they should have only had the classic controller Pro version.

The probably overshipped the standalone, yeah.

schuelma said:

If you combine 2 and 2 the game is selling alright the standalone is doing poorly while the bundle is doing very well. Than again they probably just overshipped the standalone. I mean come on the game sold half a million copies in 2 days. No way it just magically stopped selling.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Holy Moly. Not a price drop from a low demand SKU. Definately a great time for the PS3. I mean, after Nintendo goes third party where's a better place to find all those darling franchies we've come to know and love?

Suck it, Nintendo!!

ccbfan

Are people sure the bundles are even selling?

Cause none of this makes sense.

Why cut the price of the standalone by 60 percent instead of just selling a special package with a standalone MH3 and a standalone CC pro for the same price as the MH3/CC pro bundle. Heck they could sell the 2 standalones for 1000 yen less than the bundle and it would still be better than dropping the standalone by 60%.

Something doesn't sound right. Is the extra big box really worth that much?

I mean to have a 60 percent price drop is pretty desperate especially when there a simple much more profitable remedy if the fact that the CC bundles are selling well.

Jonnyram

schuelma said:
There's no need for the sarcasm. I think we all have the ability to work out the facts for ourselves. Capcom announces shipments close to a million, everyone goes nuts. It turns out they massively overshipped the standalone game (assuming 170k of 420k copies sold through, from MC's statement). With 250k copies left on shelves, the CC bundle presumably still in demand (again, assuming 330k sold from a 450k shipment), they HAVE to slash the price.

It's not an indication of the game being a failure - it's just that Capcom overshipped, GAF overreacted ("Wow, MH3 is gonna be the first third party game on a Nintendo console to sell more than a million since the SFC!!!"), and now there's a bunch of people with their tails between their legs, thinking that I'm trolling. Reality check, please.

schuelma

Jonnyram said:
It's not an indication of the game being a failure - it's just that Capcom overshipped, GAF overreacted ("Wow, MH3 is gonna be the first third party game on a Nintendo console to sell more than a million since the SFC!!!"), and now there's a bunch of people with their tails between their legs, thinking that I'm trolling. Reality check, please.

- You act like people on this board were the only people on earth predicting MH Tri would break a million. Give me a break.

-I still think it is far far too early to say that it won't. We don't have second week numbers, we don't have any idea how the game will continue to sell. We know the stand alone was probably overshipped. That's it. Let's say that in the Famitsu leak it sells another 200K or so. That would mean almost an 80% sell through rate in 9 days. That would make it extremely likely that it would get to the million mark. I honestly don't understand what your point seems to be at least in terms of people with tails between their legs. That predicting a million LTD was, or is unreasonable?

- Your media create shipment numbers are off btw.

Vinnk

What a crazy gen...

The best selling Wii third party game (not to mention the second best selling third party game of all systems) is a bomba.

d[-_-]b

Banned
Vinnk said:
What a crazy gen...

The best selling Wii third party game (not to mention the second best selling third party game of all systems) is a bomba.
This post sums up everything thats wrong with this gen...

Wii is done with third parties. It has proven time and time again that it can't sell core games from Tales of Symphonia 2 to Monster Hunter Tri. Japanese gamers just don't want to accept a white console I guess.

Tenbatsu

markatisu said:
I bought the bundle to have the cool box sit next to my MHG Wii box, I am convinced I am not the only one :lol
b5527f3ffa1315c541b4a4efa181878a.png

I bought this because I think its fucking cool!:D

Vinnk said:
What a crazy gen...

大タル爆弾G

So MonHun bombed after selling about 500k in two days??
Don't worry guys after it reaches a million everyone will forget about this discussion.

Nothing to do with sales-age, but whoever did the design for that monster deserves an award, it is pretty freaking awesome.

Vinnk said:
What a crazy gen...

Well, wait, though. A lot of people here are quick to point to expectations to cover low sales of other titles. I don't think it's unfair to talk about sales vs expectations on the high end, too, and it's quite possible that MH3 isn't going to meet the expectations of Capcom.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, wait, though. A lot of people here are quick to point to expectations to cover low sales of other titles. I don't think it's unfair to talk about sales vs expectations on the high end, too, and it's quite possible that MH3 isn't going to meet the expectations of Capcom.

I wager that it'll be interesting to pull this thread out again after FFXIII's first week.

markatisu

Segata Sanshiro said:

Bionic Commando bombed and did not meet expectations, lets all wait till the next Capcom financial statement to decide whether MH3 did not as well

Christ its been 10 days, MHG Wii a port sold well for 5-6 weeks but MH3 is judged on less than 2

Tenbatsu

markatisu said:
Bionic Commando bombed and did not meet expectations, lets all wait till the next Capcom financial statement to decide whether MH3 did not as well

Christ its been 10 days, MHG Wii a port sold well for 5-6 weeks but MH3 is judged on less than 2
Its on the Wii thats why.... What to do? what to do?

Vinnk said:
What a crazy gen...

Come on Vinnk, you of all people shouldn't be grasping at straws this early. The games hasn't even been out for a month

I went to Bic Camera in Omiya (Saitama) yesterday, didn't notice about MH3 price, but KoF XII was NOT discounted, over 7000yen

but Animal Crossing Wii is priced 1300yen now (10 euros / 14 dollars)

Flying_Phoenix said:
Wii is done with third parties. It has proven time and time again that it can't sell core games from Tales of Symphonia 2 to Monster Hunter Tri. Japanese gamers just don't want to accept a white console I guess.

your guess is probably wrong, looking at white PS2, PS3, DS and PSP

Brofist

Vinnk said:
What a crazy gen...

Well it's all relative to expectations. If something like FFXIII were to top out at a million despite destroying the sales of other PS3 software it would be a huge failure.

Wasn't too long ago some thought this could perform on par with the PSP games.

cvxfreak

Hey guys, Amazon JP has been giving a 19% discount on the controller bundles for MH3 since launch.

It bombed even before it launched!

Tenbatsu

cvxfreak said:
Hey guys, Amazon JP has been giving a 19% discount on the controller bundles for MH3 since launch.

It bombed even before it launched!
超特大タル爆弾G

i went today in Akiba, i visited many shops but MH3 is not discounted anywhere.
but Black/White Controller bundle was available in many units, it's not sold out, maybe it has been restocked today ?

Moor-Angol said:
but Black/White Controller bundle was available in many units, it's not sold out, maybe it has been restocked today ?
assuming capcom/nintendo have any sense they would've restocked for the holidays, if they have i could easily see a million by week 3 maybe 4

Hammer24

Banned
Moor-Angol said:

As far as i understood it, this was only discounted at one retailer, and only at this retailers online offer, not instore.

schuelma

Segata Sanshiro said:
Good chance we aren't getting Famitsu numbers this week, as Famitsu isn't published this week due to the Obon holidays.

I thought we still usually got leaked numbers even on holiday's? I'm pretty sure we got numbers during Golden Week IIRC.

obonicus

Dabookerman said:
Wait.. people are calling MH3 a bomb now?

Is that right?

I think the only person who might actually have half-seriously called it a bomba was Dragona Akehi. Everyone else is suggesting that it might not meet Capcom's expectations, to which certain other people kneejerk'd 'bomba' and pounded their chest, decrying Nintendo haters.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Just so we get this straight, it's monhan. Monhun would mean the game was about monster poop.

Top Bottom