• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jul 27-Aug 2, 2009

dfyb said:
if yakuza 3 could do over 370k, i think MH3 on PS3 could have done numbers in the same ballpark. while it certainly isn't a bomb, i think a PS360 release would have been a better choice for all sorts of reasons. the PSP games are a mega-hit in japan, and having some sort of PSP<>PS3 interaction could have helped bring MH success to home consoles.

Quick! List all the PS3 games that sold better LTD than MH3 has in its first 9 days.

There's no way that would have been a better choice for Capcom.

duckroll said:
Yakuza 3 and MGS4 both failed to sell as much as the previous installment of their respective series on the PS2. Meanwhile MH3 has surpassed the previous installment of the series on the PS2. Let's talk about that instead. :)

But I want to hear good things about a title being on the PS3/360 duo so I can play it.

dfyb

Banned
duckroll said:
Yakuza 3 and MGS4 both failed to sell as much as the previous installment of their respective series on the PS2. Meanwhile MH3 has surpassed the previous installment of the series on the PS2. Let's talk about that instead. :)
KuwabaraTheMan said:
Quick! List all the PS3 games that sold better LTD than MH3 has in its first 9 days.

There's no way that would have been a better choice for Capcom.
you guys kidding? third party core games sell much better on PS360. i'm not just talking about japan.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Just a quick note:

1. donny--awesome job keeping this and the other MC threads in shape and on time.
2. jjslone--you keep up wit yo bad self fool.
3. Other contributors -- always looking for additional writers for ChartGet. If you're interested feel free to PM.
4. Have I been missed at all? My ego was a little bruised today at work and I need some positive feedback.

duckroll

dfyb said:
you guys kidding? third party core games sell much better on PS360. i'm not just talking about japan.

You're not just talking about Japan in a Media Create thread? Maybe you should leave now...

dfyb said:
you guys kidding? third party core games sell much better on PS360.
In Japan? Yes, of course.

dfyb
Not just insane, he's batshit fucking insane
(Today, 08:25 PM)
Reply | Quote

PantherLotus said:
Just a quick note:

1. donny--awesome job keeping this and the other MC threads in shape and on time.
3. Other contributors -- always looking for additional writers for ChartGet. If you're interested feel free to PM.
4. Have I been missed at all? My ego was a little bruised today at work and I need some positive feedback.
You were gone?

dfyb said:

Not only is this a thread about Japanese sales, but Monster Hunter is a franchise that does the vast majority of its sales in Japan. Capcom would be much better served sticking with Nintendo in this regard.

duckroll

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Not only is this a thread about Japanese sales, but Monster Hunter is a franchise that does the vast majority of its sales in Japan. Capcom would be much better served sticking with Nintendo in this regard.

You forgot to remind him that Yakuza is also a JP-only franchise, so since he mentioned that first..... why WOULDN'T he be talking about Japan only? :lol

duckroll said:
You forgot to remind him that Yakuza is also a JP-only franchise, so since he mentioned that first..... why WOULDN'T he be talking about Japan only? :lol

Hey, those 25,000 US sales of Yakuza 2 (or whatever it was) were critical to Yakuza 3 being made.:lol

dfyb

Banned
judging by the MHFU commercials showing all over, capcom's looking to push MH as a worldwide franchise (unlike sega with yakuza).

dfyb said:
if yakuza 3 could do over 370k, i think MH3 on PS3 could have done numbers in the same ballpark. while it certainly isn't a bomb, i think a PS360 release would have been a better choice for all sorts of reasons. the PSP games are a mega-hit in japan, and having some sort of PSP<>PS3 interaction could have helped bring MH success to home consoles.

I agree, I think if MH3 stayed a PS3 exclusive, it would've done similar numbers to what it has done on the Wii, but the dev cost for the PS3 would probably be greater than the dev cost for the Wii.

Either way the game should've been on the PSP from the get go

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
AranhaHunter said:
I agree, I think if MH3 stayed a PS3 exclusive, it would've done similar numbers to what it has done on the Wii, but the dev cost for the PS3 would probably be greater than the dev cost for the Wii.

Either way the game should've been on the PSP from the get go

I don't think so. It's following the same strategy of earlier Monster Hunters. Console version with a later PSP version. I think the Wii is the logical next step for the console version. Especially since the PSP is going to be a graphically stripped port of the console version like the others. With the PS3, they'd have had to make 2 completely different versions.

Sipowicz

Banned
dfyb said:
judging by the MHFU commercials showing all over, capcom's looking to push MH as a worldwide franchise (unlike sega with yakuza).

wth are you talking about?

sega tried to make yakuza a worldwide franchise and it failed on the 100 million selling ps2. they are not insane enough to take a second shot on the 20 million selling ps3

especially when games cost so much mroe to make and localise

Jonnyram

Hero said:
MH3 will hit a million in Japan.
design_atari_st_bombs.gif

obonicus

duckroll said:

Why talk about that at all? It's trying to guess a pattern based on outliers. What does MH3's success mean? What does it mean to MH as a franchise? What does it mean to publishers in terms of pushing their not-MH franchises on the Wii vs. other platforms? I know I'm stumped. What we know is that huge franchises when marketed well can sell on the Wii. Which is so ho-hum as to nearly be a truism. Even the 'MH sold more than previous console installment' remark is impossible to interpret. Is it only natural (given the series' current popularity) or a nice surprise (given previous performance on consoles)?

PantherLotus said:
Just a quick note:

You know the deal. First you make the graphs, then you get the attention you crave.

markatisu

Galactic Fork said:
Especially since the PSP is going to be a graphically stripped port of the console version like the others. With the PS3, they'd have had to make 2 completely different versions.

Bingo! But dfyb would much rather play it on the PS3 or the 360 and watch Capcom bleed money maintaining two completely different engines.

The PSP version will always be superceeded by the closest compatible system for this game (it was not made for a DS type system) and so its only logical consoles were the PS2 and the Wii.

Maybe by the time MH5 or MH6 comes along and HD development is cheap the other systems can get one giant multiplatform release. But as long as the PSP and the Wii are so close in porting ability it will not be financially sound to have it any other way.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
obonicus said:
What we know is that huge franchises when marketed well can sell on the Wii. Which is so ho-hum as to nearly be a truism.

Well considering that this is the first legitimate attempt to do, I'd say it is still noteworthy.

markatisu

schuelma said:
Well considering that this is the first legitimate attempt to do, I'd say it is still noteworthy.

first legit attempt and it breaks every 3rd party Wii record in under 10 days, yeah that is very noteworthy

Imagine if more people tried

donny2112

dfyb said:
if yakuza 3 could do over 370k, i think MH3 on PS3 could have done numbers in the same ballpark.

I think PS3 MH3 could've done numbers in the same ballpark as Yakuza 3, too. Good to know we agree.

gtj1092

donny2112 said:
New releases that made the Media Create Top 50 in 2009 (all publishers):

NDS - 75
PSP - 64
PS3 - 37
PS2 - 32
WII - 28
360 - 27

Edit:
And just because I was curious.

New releases that made the Media Create Top 50 in 2009 (third-parties only):

NDS - 68
PSP - 58
PS3 - 33
PS2 - 32
360 - 24
WII - 19

So how many of those new releases were mainline games. I mean that makes all the difference in sales right? Also clearly the DS and PsP are the two main systems in Japan. Are you trying to say that Ps2 is incapable of selling software, that the userbase isn't active? If so then why do games released on both the Wii and Ps2 greatly favor the Ps2. I'm trying to understand your post and its implications. I don't maintain a database but from reading these threads whenever a semi big game has released for the console it has sold well. Do you not think MH3 would of sold well on Ps2?

donny2112

gtj1092 said:
So how many of those new releases were mainline games.

That point sort of goes both ways.

gtj1092 said:
I mean that makes all the difference in sales right?

It usually doesn't hurt.

gtj1092 said:
Also clearly the DS and PsP are the two main systems in Japan. Are you trying to say that Ps2 is incapable of selling software, that the userbase isn't active?

That's ridiculous. The few bigger PS2 games that actually get made, though usually less than previous installments, are still being bought.

gtj1092 said:
If so then why do games released on both the Wii and Ps2 greatly favor the Ps2.

Other than the historically cultivated audiences on each, I'm really not sure why. Maybe a lot of people don't want to "upgrade" consoles at all in Japan, so they're just sticking to what they already have - PS2.

gtj1092 said:
I'm trying to understand your post and its implications.

You said the PS2 just needed releases to get its software sales back up. I pointed out that PS2 has had about the same number of releases as the Wii.

gtj1092 said:
I don't maintain a database but from reading these threads whenever a semi big game has released for the console it has sold well.

Again, usually less than its previous iteration, but I'd still agree and say it sold "well," in the big picture of where the console is at in its lifespan.

gtj1092 said:
Do you not think MH3 would of sold well on Ps2?

As well as on Wii? Not particularly. If third-parties had made a conscious effort to keep the PS2 well alive and Capcom had groomed the console to be the home for the next Monster Hunter? Maybe. However if third-parties had made a conscious effort to support Wii along with Capcom's grooming of the console to be the home for the next Monster Hunter, I think we would be asking when it was going to hit 2 million instead of wondering if it is going to hit 1.

obonicus

schuelma said:

Sure, but unsurprising. The most noteworthy thing, I think, is how unsurprising it is. There was no 'real' bomba, there was no 10-day million. It's exactly in the bland middle that doesn't tell us much about anything other than well, not to lose hope in the Wii, maybe?

Tenbatsu

Lol, I still dont understand why people are still calling MH3 a bomb. Bet Capcom is now laughing their way to the bank.

dfyb

Banned
markatisu said:
Bingo! But dfyb would much rather play it on the PS3 or the 360 and watch Capcom bleed money maintaining two completely different engines.
i love how some of you act like capcom or anybody else can't possibly afford to make a PS360 game, despite the fact that capcom has been doing pretty good on PS360 and already has one of the best PS360PC engines in the industry that they've been using to make quite a few HD games with relative success.

dolemite

Tenbatsu said:
Lol, I still dont understand why people are still calling MH3 a bomb. Bet Capcom is now laughing their way to the bank.
but not the retailers who are stuck with several hundred thousands unpurchased units.

Tiktaalik

Allan Holdsworth said:
First Week:
Freshly Picked Tingle’s Rosy Rupeeland 45,988
Irodzuki Tincle no Koi no Balloon Trip 33,000

No promotion for Tingle 2?

34641-137006-Tingle2sellingjpg-620x.jpg

Damn you Nintendo you're sitting on a goldmine.

schuelma

dfyb said:
i love how some of you act like capcom or anybody else can't possibly afford to make a PS360 game, despite the fact that capcom has been doing pretty good on PS360 and already has one of the best PS360PC engines in the industry.

Do you have any clue what thread you are in and what franchise we are discussing?

dolemite said:
but not the retailers who are stuck with several hundred thousands unpurchased units.
Whoa whoa whoa. Several hundred thousands is definitely going too far. Personally, I think the retailers are going to get stuck with some toxic stock, but certainly no more than a hundred thousand copies. Which is still not good, but a far cry from several hundred thousand.

markatisu

schuelma said:
Do you have any clue what thread you are in and what franchise we are discussing?

Obviously he does not, since he cannot understand that MH is a PSP franchise which means porting new version of the console to it are a big deal (here is a clue, its not easy to do when you are porting DOWN from the HD side braniac)

schuelma

dolemite said:

Do you know what "several hundred thousand" means?

markatisu

Segata Sanshiro said:
Whoa whoa whoa. Several hundred thousands is definitely going too far. Personally, I think the retailers are going to get stuck with some toxic stock, but certainly no more than a hundred thousand copies. Which is still not good, but a far cry from several hundred thousand.

With the holidays and an eventual price drop (or BEST of) I would not be so sure. We all should take a step back and wait for MC numbers, as well as give the damn game 4-5 weeks to see what kind of legs it will have.

Tenbatsu

poppabk said:
I would imagine that MH3 will be judged a success based on the install base of paying online customers.
I can answer this. There are freaking a lot of people online thats for sure.

markatisu said:
With the holidays and an eventual price drop (or BEST of) I would not be so sure. We all should take a step back and wait for MC numbers, as well as give the damn game 4-5 weeks to see what kind of legs it will have.
A BEST of release would be counted as a separate SKU, and yes, when they finally do that (and they will), if we add it to the original SKU, it will almost definitely go over a million. However, I think before that, retailers are going to end up having to ditch some copies. Capcom definitely overshipped the title, like Nintendo did with Animal Crossing Wii.

Try not to take it too hard, but I just don't think Monster Hunter has nearly as much potential as a console game. You can't play Monster Hunter Wii on the train, you can't play Monster Hunter Wii in the schoolyard, you can't play Monster Hunter Wii while you're sitting on a station platform, and it takes some deliberate planning to actually play locally with your buddies using your own characters.

I think a lot of people really fail to understand why Monster Hunter is as popular as it is on the PSP.

Brofist

Tenbatsu said:

More like nervously giggling and checking the status of the PSP port.

markatisu

Tenbatsu said:

Well they did increase servers, but it bombed so they are not making jack shit there I guess :p
Try not to take it too hard, but I just don't think Monster Hunter has nearly as much potential as a console game. You can't play Monster Hunter Wii on the train, you can't play Monster Hunter Wii in the schoolyard, you can't play Monster Hunter Wii while you're sitting on a station platform, and it takes some deliberate planning to actually play locally with your buddies using your own characters.

I think a lot of people really fail to understand why Monster Hunter is as popular as it is on the PSP.

I completely agree, its appeal is in its mobility. Which is why I am amazed that people are saying what they are about it. A few months ago it would be lucky to pass 500-600k to most of GAF and now its not living up to its potential because it will be close or just inch past 1m

Tenbatsu

markatisu said:
Well they did increase servers, but it bombed so they are not making jack shit there I guess :p
Thank god it bombed and they increase the servers. Or else I think I will have a hard time getting online. More games should bomb next time to cater to more people:lol

kpop100 said:
Let's wait and see how many stick around after the free trial period :p
Once you pop, you can't stop!

Vinnk

Tenbatsu said:

Do they realize the game was a bomba? I bet they will feel foolish when they find out.

Top Bottom