• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jul 27-Aug 2, 2009

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Vinnk said:
Do they realize the game was a bomba? I bet they will feel foolish when they find out.

Vinnk any anecdotes on how its selling in your neck of the woods?

Tenbatsu

Vinnk said:
Do they realize the game was a bomba? I bet they will feel foolish when they find out.
They are using more 超特大タル爆弾G in the game now I can tell. I suspect they realized it.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Isn't one of the SKU's severely supply constrained?
Dont think you can find the Wii bundle easily now. Unless from Ebay or something.

Jonnyram

There's no need to be so aggressive towards dfyb. Or did everyone forget that Capcom originally announced the game for PS3?

Jonnyram said:
There's no need to be so aggressive towards dfyb. Or did everyone forget that Capcom originally announced the game for PS3?
There's always a need to be aggressive towards dfyb. He's never posted anything worthwhile and he makes the whole world a worse place just by being in it.

dfyb said:
i love how some of you act like capcom or anybody else can't possibly afford to make a PS360 game, despite the fact that capcom has been doing pretty good on PS360 and already has one of the best PS360PC engines in the industry that they've been using to make quite a few HD games with relative success.

That engine isn't compatible with PSP, which is the home of MH. Now they can reuse most of their assets from the wii version..

A PS360 version would of cost a shit ton more, sold less (or maybe about the same) and than resulted in increased costs when making the PSP version.

As for sales in the west why would you expect this game to achieve that on PS360? Capcom had success with games that appeal to the western audiences i.e dead rising, SFIV, RE5 and lost planet. This game has no presence in the west and most games like that on PS360 bomb hard.

If this game had been made on PS360 it would be a real bomb instead of just failing to meet high expectations.

Data said:
Game week 1 week 2 LTD (incl. Best, etc.)

Monster Hunter 120,000 54,000 (- 55%) 289,000
Monster Hunter G 128,000 30,000 (- 77%) 237,000
Monster Hunter Freedom 118,000 53,000 (- 55%) 1,117,000
Monster Hunter 2 368,000 95,000 (- 74%) 698,000
Monster Hunter Freedom 2 746,000 156,000 (- 79%) 1,723,000
Monster Hunter Portable 2G 823,000 552,000 (- 33%) 3,323,000
Monster Hunter G Wii 142,000 34,000 (- 76%) 225,000
Monster Hunter Tri 583,000 138,000 (- 76%) 721,000

I mean the fuck Gaf the game is selling at the exact same pace as the previous installments have in the second week and had the 3rd highest opening for the series and the highest for the console entries. And one of the SKU's is very supply constrained according to most J-Gaffers.

Even when the Wii hits a home-run it's still considered a strike. :|

I know about the whole "2 days' affair but still. I mean Capcom's plan was to carve the Monster Hunter base for a console as its high success has only been on handhelds. And it not reaching the best portable version is a disappointment?

Tenbatsu

Flying_Phoenix said:
I mean the fuck Gaf the game is selling at the exact same pace as the previous installments have in the second week and had the 3rd highest opening for the series and the highest for the console entries. And one of the SKU's is very supply constrained according to most J-Gaffers.

NO! Its a bomba no matter what you say.

Flying_Phoenix said:

Which J-Gaffers? The Wii bundle is sold, but I think it'd be pretty disingenuous to consider that one of the proper SKUs. The Pro Controller bundle hasn't been sold out anywhere I've been to.

Road

markatisu said:
first legit attempt and it breaks every 3rd party Wii record in under 10 days, yeah that is very noteworthy

Imagine if more people tried
So, how many other legit attempts do you think it'll take for a 3rd party Wii game to break MH3's records?

Jonnyram

Segata Sanshiro said:
Which J-Gaffers? The Wii bundle is sold, but I think it'd be pretty disingenuous to consider that one of the proper SKUs. The Pro Controller bundle hasn't been sold out anywhere I've been to.
I dunno about the other SKUs, but the standalone game is pretty demand constrained where I am.

Vinnk

schuelma said:
Vinnk any anecdotes on how its selling in your neck of the woods?

Been busy setting up the room for the upcoming baby (3 more weeks!) but I hit 3 local shops in the last 2 days. No price drops at any of them. The small store sold out of the controller+game bundle. The other two have a couple of copies left but lots of the game only version.

I don't know if any stores in my town got the system bundles. If they did they were sold out in the first few hours. I went to two stores on launch day but they were all gone by my lunch break (if we got any at all that is).

Sorry, not super helpful.

Gravijah

Road said:
So, how many other legit attempts do you think it'll take for a 3rd party Wii game to break MH3's records?

Some day in the future, DQX will own the record. All there is to say.

Many, many years from now :(

Flying_Phoenix said:

I know about the whole "2 days' affair but still.

Shhh. It's a bomb just leave it at that. No third party can be successful on the Wii, especially when using a franchise that was originally on a Sony console.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Vinnk said:
Been busy setting up the room for the upcoming baby (3 more weeks!) but I hit 3 local shops in the last 2 days. No price drops at any of them. The small store sold out of the controller+game bundle. The other two have a couple of copies left but lots of the game only version.

I don't know if any stores in my town got the system bundles. If they did they were sold out in the first few hours. I went to two stores on launch day but they were all gone by my lunch break (if we got any at all that is).

Sorry, not super helpful.

Thanks a lot and good luck with everything!

kpop100 said:
More like nervously giggling and checking the status of the PSP port.

I've been wondering about this.... Wikipedia lists Monster Hunter Portable 2 as being a partial port of Monster Hunter 2. How close are the features and experience between the pair? I take it the maps and environments are pretty much identical (with maybe a couple missing from the portable version)?

Just trying to gauge for myself whether or not the console version has much to offer that the portable version would not.

markatisu

GameplayWhore said:
I've been wondering about this.... Wikipedia lists Monster Hunter Portable 2 as being a partial port of Monster Hunter 2. How close are the features and experience between the pair? I take it the maps and environments are pretty much identical (with maybe a couple missing from the portable version)?

Just trying to gauge for myself whether or not the console version has much to offer that the portable version would not.

For single player the experience is not much different (better controls on the Wii) but the experience of multiplayer I would guess is better on the PSP since its portable and easier to meet up and play then sit at home and go online.

Basically the draw to the Wii is the fact that it has a bunch of new monsters, bosses and weapons that the PSP versions do not.

cvxfreak

Segata Sanshiro said:

The black controller bundle is sold out on Yodobashi's website!

THIS IS HUGE! We learned from THIS VERY THREAD the fundamental importance of ONE STORE and what it means for everyone.

Jonnyram said:

And they changed it for a pretty good reason. ;)

cvxfreak said:
The black controller bundle is sold out on Yodobashi's website!

THIS IS HUGE! We learned from THIS VERY THREAD the fundamental importance of ONE STORE and what it means for everyone.
That's true. Generally speaking, one single photo of The Table at Sofmap in Akiba is usually enough to sell everyone in this thread on whatever you need to.

ccbfan

Captain Smoker said:
Famitsu sales: 08/03 - 08/09/2009

01. [PS2] SD Gundam G Generation Wars (Bandai Namco) - 196,000 / NEW
02. [PSP] Tales of VS. (Bandai Namco) - 153,000 / NEW
03. [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (tri~) (Capcom) - 138,000 / 721,000
04. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX (Square Enix)
05. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo)
06. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
07. [PS2] Kamen Rider: Climax Heroes (Bandai Namco) - 53,000 / NEW
08. [360] MagnaCarta II (Bandai Namco) - 38,000 / NEW
09. [PS2] J-League Winning Eleven 2009: Club Championship (Konami) - 35,000 / NEW
10. [NDS] Irodzuki Tincle no Koi no Balloon Trip (Nintendo) - 33,000 / NEW

xx. [WII] SD Gundam G Generation Wars (Bandai Namco) - 33,000 / NEW
xx. [NDS] Blood of Bahamut (Square Enix) - 32,000 / NEW

Amazed that the absolute beating Wii took again on a multi platform release. Absolutely boggles my mind how the current gen leader can get beat this bad. I mean the 360 has better showings than the Wii in Multi releases.

Also excellent save for Tales of VS after some mediocre first day number. Isn't this tracking better than an non PSP tales this gen? Funny that the top 4 tales games this are on the PSP yet its the only system with 0 main games.

Gravijah

ccbfan said:
Amazed that the absolute beating Wii took again on a multi platform release. Absolutely boggles my mind how the current gen leader can get beat this bad. I mean the 360 has better showings than the Wii in Multi releases.

High five, brah.

A lot of hysteria over a game that after 9 days of sale is already (per Famitsu anyway):

- The best selling 3rd party game in Japan this generation on any console

- The best selling console Monster Hunter game on a Wii userbase less than half the size of the PS2 one when MH2 came out.

- The best selling selling 3rd party game on a Nintendo platform in about 13 years.

I doubt it can single handedly lift the Japanese console market on its own, as that seems to be a bit of a lost cause.

Brofist

Soundwave2000 said:
A lot of hysteria over a game that after 9 days of sale is already (per Famitsu anyway):

- The best selling console Monster Hunter game on a Wii userbase less than half the size of the PS2 one when MH2 came out.

- The best selling selling 3rd party game on a Nintendo platform in about 13 years.

I doubt it can single handedly lift the Japanese console market on its own, as that seems to be a bit of a lost cause.

I think you are the first to make those points.

cvxfreak

Segata Sanshiro said:
That's true. Generally speaking, one single photo of The Table at Sofmap in Akiba is usually enough to sell everyone in this thread on whatever you need to.

My secret plan revealed. :(

I actually picked up the first Wii Metroid Prime at Bic in Shinjuku for ¥980 right before heading back to the U.S. for vacation. Poor D. Lo. :(

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Soundwave2000 said:

PLEASE READ PEOPLE!! Comprehension is a great thing! :)

Grampasso

The sarcasm in this thread is overwhelming :lol
Oh, can I get a tag for being banned just for a :lol ?
Btw will we get 2weeks MC numbers next week? The software ones are usually up by this time so I assume we're not getting them because of the holiday?

duckroll

AceBandage said:
Do you really like anyone, though?
I always thought mods just tolerated people, which is the only reason we're even allowed to post.

Segata Sanshiro is a fine upstanding individual for example.

Top Bottom