• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jul 27-Aug 2, 2009

Grampasso

John Harker said:
Isnt MH now going to be the best-selling third party title of the entire generation, not just on Wii?
Yes, until FFXIII. I honestly think (and quite hope) it will sell at least 2 millions in japan alone, though I fear its multiplatform nature could hurt sales :/

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
John Harker said:
Isnt MH now going to be the best-selling third party title of the entire generation, not just on Wii?

Yes, until FF13 at least.

schuelma

Grampasso said:
Yes, until FFXIII. I honestly think (and quite hope) it will sell at least 2 millions in japan alone, though I fear its multiplatform nature could hurt sales :/

I doubt it will hurt it in Japan, since its still a PS3 exclusive. As to 2 million..its definitely possible, but I have a feeling it might not reach those heights given that the userbase right now is barely above 3 million total.

I think FFXIII is almost certainly going to sell less than FFXII.

1. It's on a system with a much lower install base (not terribly important since I think the fanbase will follow the franchise, but still bears mentioning).
2. The main series has been on a decline since FFVIII.
3. The Final Fantasy brand name has taken a slight sales beating from being heavily milked, even since FFXII released.

On the other hand, it is the return of Nomura/Kitase to the main series, so that might bring some people back... I guess we'll see, but my gut and at least 3/4ths of my brain says expect something lower than FFXII.

bttb said:
DQ7 and DQ8 were in the top 30 for 16 consecutive weeks.
Well, the good news is that since now you don't have to sell something extravagant like 5,000 to stay in the Top 30, DQ IX can beat that.

Grampasso

schuelma said:
I doubt it will hurt it in Japan, since its still a PS3 exclusive. As to 2 million..its definitely possible, but I have a feeling it might not reach those heights given that the userbase right now is barely above 3 million total.
Uh, I didn't notice installed base was low... well maybe 2 millions it's a bit high, I don't see it having a 60-70% attach rate, neither I see it pushing 1 million systems alone (which would "lower" attach rate to 50%, still crazy). Maybe 1-1.5 million in the end, which is definitely underwhelming for a FF game, but fortunately in the last decade it has been much more popular in the western market than in the japanese one. When is the english version bound to come? Spring 2010?

JoshuaJSlone said:
Well, the good news is that since now you don't have to sell something extravagant like 5,000 to stay in the Top 30, DQ IX can beat that.

Plus in 16 weeks we will be in the holiday ramp up period where I'm sure the game will get some sort of boost, even if it doesn't chart.

Jonnyram

John Harker said:
Hold on a second. Are you excluding DS and PSP from this generation!? If so, why? Because I'm pretty sure they were both released less than 12 months before Xbox 360.

Vagabundo

sinseers said:
Meaning? Please elaborate....

Just do the old fliperoo on anything Anihawk says, that mean everything, no exceptions. He is always being sarcastic.

For more advanced analysis look for a hint on current - or even old but strong - GAF game related memes and trends...

If all that failues just nod wisely or quote his post with laffies...

Vinci

Danish
Dabookerman said:
What idiotic arguments? I'm asking an honest question, why so defensive?

It's not defensive really, so much as a symptom of hearing this argument proposed routinely enough over the last couple of years whenever a game on the Wii doesn't sell 30 million copies. To give you an example: If we judged games based on how they sold relative to a system's install base, not a single game on the PS2 was all that successful. Which we know to be false, thereby exhausting any cohesion or accuracy to the argument.

I'm sure someone could provide you a more detailed response, I'm just using this one to keep the explanation brief.

duckroll

Segata Sanshiro said:
I think FFXIII is almost certainly going to sell less than FFXII.

1. It's on a system with a much lower install base (not terribly important since I think the fanbase will follow the franchise, but still bears mentioning).
2. The main series has been on a decline since FFVIII.
3. The Final Fantasy brand name has taken a slight sales beating from being heavily milked, even since FFXII released.

On the other hand, it is the return of Nomura/Kitase to the main series, so that might bring some people back... I guess we'll see, but my gut and at least 3/4ths of my brain says expect something lower than FFXII.

Well, as of now based on the current info we have on all things known, I would expect FFXIII to clear 2 million, the first week might be lower than usual, say 1.4 or 1.5 million, but we'll see how much more it sells beyond that. I definitely think 2 million is a goal it'll reach regardless, because the FF fanbase isn't dead, and the PS3 isn't a dud of a console like the 360 is in Japan. Considering how long it took to develop FFXIII and how expensive it must be this time round, selling less than FFX would still be telling on S-E's finances though, so I guess going multiplatform was a good idea.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Jonnyram said:
Hold on a second. Are you excluding DS and PSP from this generation!? If so, why? Because I'm pretty sure they were both released less than 12 months before Xbox 360.

Clearly I'm not including handhelds, and am only talking about consoles.
It's certainly not a fair comparison to include them considering they are kicking their TV brethren's ass weekly :lol

Vinci

Danish
John Harker said:
Clearly I'm not including handhelds, and am only talking about consoles.
It's certainly not a fair comparison to include them considering they are kicking their TV brethren's ass weekly :lol

At this point, yeah. They simply don't exist on anywhere near the same level in Japan. Which is reasonable from their standpoint, I imagine, given how much better the handhelds are these days then their 'TV brethren.'

ksamedi

I'm really curious as to how many consoles FFXIII is going to sell. could it be more than 500K? That would be amazing :lol

Vinci

Danish
ksamedi said:
I'm really curious as to how many consoles FFXIII is going to sell. could it be more than 500K? That would be amazing :lol

No. The PS3 sales will go above 100k. That's about it.

freddy

Banned
Vagabundo said:
Just do the old fliperoo on anything Anihawk says, that mean everything, no exceptions. He is always being sarcastic.

For more advanced analysis look for a hint on current - or even old but strong - GAF game related memes and trends...

If all that failues just nod wisely or quote his post with laffies...

ughhh.....

Vinci said:

We should certainly see some build-up of sales before what is arguably the PS3's biggest release in Japan ever. Even the release of Advent Children quadrupled hardware sales.

To be honest about 150k sounds possible. Perhaps more if there's a special console bundle.

Vinci

Danish
Pai Pai Master said:
We should certainly see some build-up of sales before what is arguably the PS3's biggest release in Japan ever. Even the release of Advent Children quadrupled hardware sales.

To be honest about 150k sounds possible. Perhaps more if there's a special console bundle.

I just don't see it going that high; I feel that they either bought a PS3 prior to now or they bought it with the Advent Children release for the most part. Maybe 150k, but I highly doubt it'll go 200k even.

Mahew

Banned
Grampasso said:
Uh, I didn't notice installed base was low... well maybe 2 millions it's a bit high, I don't see it having a 60-70% attach rate, neither I see it pushing 1 million systems alone (which would "lower" attach rate to 50%, still crazy). Maybe 1-1.5 million in the end, which is definitely underwhelming for a FF game, but fortunately in the last decade it has been much more popular in the western market than in the japanese one. When is the english version bound to come? Spring 2010?

And how much will Crystal Bearers sell? I think it will clear 500.000, but is there any chance of a million?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Mahew said:
And how much will Crystal Bearers sell? I think it will clear 500.000, but is there any chance of a million?
A million? Crystal Bearers would be lucky if it broke 100k in Japan.

schuelma

Mahew said:

That's a wild card. The gameplay seems very different from traditional Final Fantasy and Crystal Chronicles games. I'd say it has potential to do very well if it catches on, but it also has the potential to flop pretty bad if the gameplay changes don't attract a new audience and alienate traditional RPG gamers.

schuelma

jj984jj said:
A million? Crystal Bearers would be lucky if it broke 100k in Japan.

I don't know if I would go that far..

jj984jj

schuelma said:
I don't know if I would go that far..
Well, I'm still trying to figure out what the game has going for it. It's not like the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles brand actually means anything in terms of sales anymore.

Mahew

Banned
schuelma said:
That's a wild card. The gameplay seems very different from traditional Final Fantasy and Crystal Chronicles games. I'd say it has potential to do very well if it catches on, but it also has the potential to flop pretty bad if the gameplay changes don't attract a new audience and alienate traditional RPG gamers.

The gameplay change could turn out very beneficial if it appeals to the Monster Hunter crowd even in part. Depends on Square Enix's investment into the game too. Can they cook up a really engaging demo for TGS and will it be one of their highlights going into the holidays?

rpmurphy

jj984jj said:
Well, I'm still trying to figure out what the game has going for it. It's not like the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles brand actually means anything in terms of sales anymore.
Echoes of Time Wii version managed ~30k, so breaking 100k LTD should be possible for Crystal Bearers.

GCX

Crystal Bearers is really hard to predict. It's part of a spin-off series that doesn't have nearly as much sales potential as the main Final Fantasy games but it's getting much closer to traditional FF style in terms of gamplay and presentation.

I quess that's the reason why the Crystal Chronicles text is so small the game's logo. Maybe the developers don't want people to know it's a CC game.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
GCX said:
Crystal Bearers is really hard to predict. It's part of a spin-off series that doesn't have nearly as much sales potential as the main Final Fantasy games but it's getting much closer to traditional FF style in terms of gamplay and presentation.

I quess that's the reason why the Crystal Chronicles text is so small the game's logo. Maybe the developers don't want people to know it's a CC game.

It isnt even a RPG.

jj984jj

Honestly I think Crystal Bearers has more sales potential in the west, I believe it's S-E USA's big holiday title so sales will depend on their marketing for the game.

I think Crystal Chronicles will do about what Tales of Symphonia "2" did. The situations are slightly different, one title is a spin-off with gameplay that is still based around the other games in the series with minimal effort put into it. The other is a spin-off with completely different gameplay, but looks to have a lot of effort put into it. So it sort of balances out. That's my rationalization at least.

GCX

cw_sasuke said:
It isnt even a RPG.
Well, I quess I kinda knew this response would be coming when I wrote that.

But yeah, I meant Crystal Bearers have moved from the multiplayer focused social game to a big single-player adventure epic a la main Final Fantasy.

Still, I quess the non-RPG battle system will lower its sales potential. Though you never know with Monster Hunter mania and all.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
jj984jj said:
Honestly I think Crystal Bearers has more sales potential in the west, I believe it's S-E USA's big holiday title so sales will depend on their marketing for the game.

I cant see SE US promoting it as a big holiday after seeing how bad they represented it at e3. Maybe Nintendo will try to promote it a bit more...after all its an exklusive FF Game.

GCX said:
Well, I quess I kinda knew this response would be coming when I wrote that.

But yeah, I meant Crystal Bearers have moved from the multiplayer focused social game to a big single-player adventure epic a la main Final Fantasy.

Still, I quess the non-RPG battle system will lower its sales potential. Though you never know with Monster Hunter mania and all.

Do you realize that you are hitting the q button instead of the g button when typing "guess"? It's really annoying me.

LM4sure said:
WOW at the MH3 numbers. So is Capcom the only third party that can actually sell games on the Wii?!

I've never played a MH game before, but I might give this one a try.

Uh, no. Actually, the Wii has more 3rd party sales of all the consoles.

birdchili

cw_sasuke said:
It isnt even a RPG.
was the e3 demo well-received?

while i'm surprised it took so long for someone to attempt a telekinesis game on wii, i think this one has a steep hill to climb. i don't think people really know what it is, and they seem to be mixing up quite a few gameplay styles.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
John Harker said:

If you're talking exclusive third party content it has to beat MGS4. I believe the LTD number are somewhere around 4 million WW.

Meier

Vinci said:
I think PS3 will move at least 225k systems the week FF13 comes out. Should see a prolonged bump which results on at least another 400k systems sold in relatively short order.

schuelma

Dragona Akehi said:
Talking on IRC, and we're thinking that maybe the MC-Famistu discrepancy may be due to bundled MH3 Wii hardware.

I had that thought as well. Is it possible MC just didn't count them? The difference between the two (60K or so) does seem to line up with the possible amount of bundles sold.

schuelma said:
I had that thought as well. Is it possible MC just didn't count them? The difference between the two (60K or so) does seem to line up with the possible amount of bundles sold.

Well, as far as I can remember, MC never counts bundled hardware towards software, whereas Famitsu may. Can anyone else confirm?

schuelma

Meier said:
I think PS3 will move at least 225k systems the week FF13 comes out. Should see a prolonged bump which results on at least another 400k systems sold in relatively short order.

Also, if it actually does come out in 2009, it will probably be at the peak of the holiday buying season so the number could be even higher.

schuelma

Dragona Akehi said:
Well, as far as I can remember, MC never counts bundled hardware towards software, whereas Famitsu may. Can anyone else confirm?

Sounds familar-I feel like we had that discussion during GT Prologue sales?

Spiegel

Dragona Akehi said:

MC counts bundles too.

Last week MHP2G went from 11k to 18k (MC) thanks to the new bundles

Mahew

Banned
Vilix said:
If you're talking exclusive third party content it has to beat MGS4. I believe the LTD number are somewhere around 4 million WW.

Dude, Media Create. Japanese sales.

Top Bottom