• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jul 27-Aug 2, 2009

JoshuaJSlone said:
If only I had MC data up at Garaph it would be a fun thing to run a query on, but it always seems to be on the back burner so I've got nothing.
It's worth noting that in behind-the-scenes data trading action, last year I supplied donny with a bunch of old saved MC HTML pages, and he in return sent back the spreadsheet version he processed them into. So I do have a bunch of stuff that should be pretty straightforward to get in--it's just that with things that can be done at any time, it's easy to always put them off until tomorrow. This reminder of it got me to actually start working on it, though. The biggest part of it is matching up the new data with existing Game IDs.

Unrelatedly, about all the "Ouch KOF XII" comments... don't King of Fighters sales always suck? First weeks of 15-30K seemed pretty standard even on PS2.

Cosmonaut X said:
Not sure about MC, but Famitsu numbers look like this for all main releases on PS2, PSP and now Wii:

MHP 2G: 823k
MHP 2: 746k
MH3: 583k
MH2: 368k
MHG (Wii): 143k
MHG (PS2): 128k
MH: 121k
MHP: 118k

It's a good number, if we compare it with other third parties, but I expected more of the combo MH - Wii.

Monster Hunter fanbase has grown A LOT in the last 3 years. And, taking in consideration that the people was buying since 2006 a slightly upgraded version (or a port) of the game that already had, I supposed that a new iteration should be nearer to the million.

Also being in Wii (the most extended home console in Japan) and having a exclusive bundle with a black wii. I think that, even if the numbers are impressive, Capcom expected more.

Korigama

JoshuaJSlone said:
Unrelatedly, about all the "Ouch KOF XII" comments... don't King of Fighters sales always suck? First weeks of 15-30K seemed pretty standard even on PS2.

True, but none of those took four years to make (only to still have so much missing anyway), nor were they anywhere near as costly to develop.

DangerousDave said:
It's a good number, if we compare it with other third parties, but I expected more of the combo MH - Wii.

Monster Hunter fanbase has grown A LOT in the last 3 years. And, taking in consideration that the people was buying a slightly upgraded version (or a port) of the game that already had, I supposed that a new iteration should be nearer to the million.

Also being in Wii (the most extended home console in Japan) and having a exclusive bundle with a black wii. I think that, even if the numbers are impressive, Capcom expected more.

This is a console version though. Only the handheld entrys have performed MASSIVE so far. Think Poke'mon or Tetris franchises.

ccbfan

JoshuaJSlone said:

Its more about the type of release.

The older KOF ports were always release 2 to 3 years after the initial arcade release which were also already on a console (neo geo). I mean who really cares about KOF 2000 when people are playing KOF 2002. Especially with how KOF work. The series goes in sets of about 3 years and inside each set it is like going from GGXX->GGXX#->GGXX/. Whose gonna care about GGXX when the community is playing GGXX/.

KOF XII is actual release close to its Arcade counterpart like SF4 and BB and it still performed terribly. Include in the fact that they added a brand new engine and redrew all the sprites and backgrounds in HD. This is a terrible failure.

While I certainly don't see the PS3 going above 150k during FFXIII week, I definitely see it doing 100k.

Mind you, I fully expect FFXIII to significantly underperform in comparison to FFX or even FFXII. Even if there truly are 2 million fanatical FF fans who will buy a system for one game, we'll only see a boost in PS3 sales for an extended bump (it'll breathe life into system sales) but FFXIII sales will fall off a steep cliff (2nd hand copies flooding the market).

justchris

Segata Sanshiro said:
I think FFXIII is almost certainly going to sell less than FFXII.

1. It's on a system with a much lower install base (not terribly important since I think the fanbase will follow the franchise, but still bears mentioning).
2. The main series has been on a decline since FFVIII.
3. The Final Fantasy brand name has taken a slight sales beating from being heavily milked, even since FFXII released.

On the other hand, it is the return of Nomura/Kitase to the main series, so that might bring some people back... I guess we'll see, but my gut and at least 3/4ths of my brain says expect something lower than FFXII.

Another important factor is that previous installments tend to affect their successors. Everyone loved FFX (for some bizarre reason) so FFXII sold well out of the gate. FFXII got a lot of hate, so that's bound to hurt the sales of FFXIII.

hatchx

Banned
gconsole said:
Imagine if PS3 still secure the exclusive to MH3. Sony is such a stupid game company this gen.

Monster Hunter 3
FF13
Assassins Creed
GTA4
DMC4

.....I wonder how Sony would be doing had all of these been exclusive on the PS3.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wii 95,357
DSi 73,710
PSP 33,049
DS Lite 12,027
PS3 8,760
PS2 3,617
Xbox 360 3,552

The leak was off..Wii hardware very close to Famitsu.

schuelma said:
Wii 95,357
DSi 73,710
PSP 33,049
DS Lite 12,027
PS3 8,760
PS2 3,617
Xbox 360 3,552

My memory of the last few weeks is a little foggy. Is the DS still enjoying a Dragonbump or was it always that high?

Wii's Monsterbump is a little lower than I expected. You'd have thought the black Wii would be bigger.

hatchx

Banned
schuelma said:
Wii 95,357
DSi 73,710
PSP 33,049
DS Lite 12,027
PS3 8,760
PS2 3,617
Xbox 360 3,552

I'm amazed the original Xbox pulled in 3.6 million. I knew the Japanese would eventually warm up to it.

AniHawk

Dragon Quest actually seems to have revived the DS. I knew it'd be a system seller, but I didn't think it would have such a lasting effect.

Flying_Phoenix said:
This is a console version though. Only the handheld entrys have performed MASSIVE so far. Think Poke'mon or Tetris franchises.

Yes, but MGS4 sold over 400k or Yakuza 3 sold 350k first week. With a userbase much smaller. With the numbers of Wii that are now in Japan, the sales of that kind of exclusive should be higher.

It's a good number, but less than expected.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm puzzled as to why folks seem certain that FF will bump PS3 sales significantly when the -real- square-Enix megaseller is headed towards the Wii.

(At least with regards to Japan.)

Actually, I'm puzzled as to why DQ is going to the Wii while FF isn't.

boiled goose

good with gravy
hatchx said:
Monster Hunter 3
FF13
Assassins Creed
GTA4
DMC4

.....I wonder how Sony would be doing had all of these been exclusive on the PS3.

it is also possible lots of other games would have been developed for them instead as well.

some of EA's like mirrors edge and mass effect, some of 2ks like bioshock, lots of the rpgs that were moneyhatted by 360, dragon quests, etc

schuelma

Can anyone translate the info at the Media Create site? Seems like their might be some good info on sell through rates with the different versions.

RyuKanSan

DangerousDave said:
Yes, but MGS4 sold over 400k or Yakuza 3 sold 350k first week. With a userbase much smaller. With the numbers of Wii that are now in Japan, the sales of that kind of exclusive should be higher.

why does this keep getting repeated???

laserbeam

Banned
DangerousDave said:

You are comparing franchises that are primarily console based versus one that is primarily portable. MH3 is already set to be the #1 3rd party game of this gen til FF13 comes out.

Its performing quite well

AniHawk

DavidDayton said:
I'm puzzled as to why folks seem certain that FF will bump PS3 sales significantly when the -real- square-Enix megaseller is headed towards the Wii.

FFXIII started waaaay back in 05 when everyone was damn sure the PS3 would take over the world.

Jokeropia

DangerousDave said:
Individual game sales don't scale linearly with installed base.

hatchx

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
People keep comparing it to the handheld launches as well as the launches of Nintendo's own mega-franchises (speaking of which, how did Brawl do out of the gate?).

800k-ish I believe.

Johann

While I certainly don't see the PS3 going above 150k during FFXIII week, I definitely see it doing 100k.

Mind you, I fully expect FFXIII to significantly underperform in comparison to FFX or even FFXII. Even if there truly are 2 million fanatical FF fans who will buy a system for one game, we'll only see a boost in PS3 sales for an extended bump (it'll breathe life into system sales) but FFXIII sales will fall off a steep cliff (2nd hand copies flooding the market).

If we go off past data, we can see that games with a built-in fanbase are resistant to decay, such as MGS4. I think it's going to be a matter of how many die-hard fans there really are for the game and how many and how fast second-hand copies will appear.

DavidDayton said:

To the first point, um, DQ isn't the only game that can cause a big hardware bump.

To the second, the decisions were made at different times, and decisions regarding those two series are made by different people. It'll never necessarily be the case that FF will go where DQ goes or vice versa.

Where's LINK at? :lol

What happened to "Monster Hunter isn't going to sell on the Wii due to it being too late in the game" as well as all that other Wii is dead in Japan forever shit?

:lol

DangerousDave said:

By this logic every PS2 game underperformed as the games should have sold at least 5 times as much as they would have on a competing platform. Install base doesn't matter much when it comes to established franchises.

Road

schuelma said:
Can anyone translate the info at the Media Create site? Seems like their might be some good info on sell through rates with the different versions.

Apparently 45k of Black Wii and 20k of the MH bundle?

And 2:1 ratio of Classic Controller Pro bundles compared to the stand alone version.

My Japanese sucks. All I could make up.

Edit: Actual translation below.

justchris

Khrno said:
You're not very familiar with this title right?

I bet most people in Japan will rather get a powerful PC/laptop than a PS3 for it. I'm mainly talking about the old FFXI user-base which might migrate to XIV, or just give it a go.

In the end XIV won't move any PS3 at all, and I wonder if it will sell more than 100k of the original SKU on PS3. Most of that people will most likely get the (probably) superior version on PC anyway.

And if there is any casual players that might be interested on playing, they will already have a PS3 since they will/would have bought one for XIII sometime in these 2-3 years.

This is Japan we're talking about. Japanese people don't have PCs unless they're hardcore otaku. In the US & Europe, FFXIV will sell more on PC than on PS3, in Japan it will probably still sell more on PS3.

schuelma said:
Wii 95,357
DSi 73,710
PSP 33,049
DS Lite 12,027
PS3 8,760
PS2 3,617
Xbox 360 3,552

We need the 'streams have crossed'.jpg for this one.

Jokeropia

schuelma said:
I'm sure someone will provide a real translation soon, but I believe I can pick up a few things using Babelfish:

- MH3 has third best start of any Wii game after SSBB (820k) and Mario Kart Wii (594k).
- First third party console title this generation to exceed 500k first week.
- CC Pro bundles had high sell-through (I think ~70-80%?) compared to the standalone disc and also outsold it 2 to 1.
- Most buyers in the age range of university students. (Younger people were few in comparison.)
- Black Wii sold 45k, the special bundle sold 20k and both sold out? (Not sure if those bundles are included in the Black Wii number, but I'm guessing not.)
- Lots of Wii Lan Adapters and Wii Points cards sold.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Where's LINK at? :lol

What happened to "Monster Hunter isn't going to sell on the Wii due to it being too late in the game" as well as all that other Wii is dead in Japan forever shit?

:lol
This doesn't necessarily make him wrong. Collectively, third parties have starved their audience on the Wii to death (either that or they never tried to build it). Suffice to say, it is anaemic right now. Stuff on the scale of MH3 would needed to have started releasing last year in order to get a healthy ecosystem for third parties today.

As it is, the Wii will never be a PS2-like haven for third parties. Nor will the PS3 or 360. Those days are over and aren't coming back - not this gen and not on consoles. At this point, brand perception and common feeling regarding the kind of experience the Wii does and does not offer are set in stone.

In many ways, it is too little, too late, though games with "in-built" audiences will do well regardless.

This doesn't necessarily make him wrong. Collectively, third parties have starved their audience on the Wii to death (either that or they never tried to build it). Suffice to say, it is anaemic right now. Stuff on the scale of MH3 would needed to have started releasing last year in order to get a healthy ecosystem for third parties today.

As it is, the Wii will never be a PS2-like haven for third parties. Nor will the PS3 or 360. Those days are over and aren't coming back - not this gen and not on consoles. At this point, brand perception and common feeling regarding the kind of experience the Wii does and does not offer are set in stone.

In many ways, it is too little, too late, though games with "in-built" audiences will do well regardless.

Let me reword what I was saying.

"Monster Hunter 3 will bomb and won't do shit to move Wii hardware sales" (even the 90k is too much).

DavidDayton said:

The Final Fantasy 3 game combo the PS3 is going to experience should give a large combined bump. All may appeal to slightly different audiences as well.

Will most gamers in Japan pick up FF 14 on PS3 or PC?

markatisu

DangerousDave said:

MH3 only had 2 days, when it has its full week it will be closer to 650-800k depending

I like how people continue to act as if next Sunday is the final day MH3 will ever sell and we will all watch it leave the charts for good

Goddamn GAF needs a rolling eyes smiley

Busaiku

AniHawk said:
Dragon Quest actually seems to have revived the DS. I knew it'd be a system seller, but I didn't think it would have such a lasting effect.
It was definitely a big contributor, but it doesn't deserve all the credit.
Nintendo did release a new color on its launch.

schuelma

Jokeropia said:
I'm sure someone will provide a real translation soon, but I believe I can pick up a few things using Babelfish:

- MH3 has third best start of any Wii game after SSBB (820k) and Mario Kart Wii (594k).
- First third party console title this generation to exceed 500k first week.
- CC Pro bundles had high sell-through (I think ~70-80%?) compared to the standalone disc and also outsold it 2 to 1.
- Most buyers in the age range of university students. (Younger people were few in comparison.)
- Black Wii sold 45k, the special bundle sold 20k and both sold out? (Not sure if those bundles are included in the Black Wii number, but I'm guessing not.)
- Lots of Wii Lan Adapters and Wii Points cards sold.

That seems really low.

Somnid

The red DSi is selling them. Also for those that were unaware the red color is also not matte like the others, it's shiny.

MotherFan

Cellbomber said:
The Final Fantasy 3 game combo the PS3 is going to experience should give a large combined bump. All may appeal to slightly different audiences as well.

Will most gamers in Japan pick up FF 14 on PS3 or PC?

They will pick up 14 on ps3. Like it was said earlier in the thread, PC is not a real gaming platform in japan.

As for the number of systems all three FFs will move....I'm going to say 450k. This is counting the boost from ffxiii, vs, and 14 (which won't have much of one). I am also factoring in boosts from after week 1.

Note that this still won't get the ps3 even to 4 million in Japan at its current rate. Well, maybe by the time vs (do we have any ideas on this?) comes out, but not by this holiday season.

I agree that predicting a single week hardware number of 225k for PS3 is totally unreal. But I do believe there's a potential for FF XIII to be part of a big jump in hardware. Checking Garaph, between the PS3 price drop in fall of 2007 (leading to the cheaper 40GB) and the end of the holidays 12 weeks later, PS3 sold about 500,000 units. It doesn't seem too terribly insane that if there's another price drop this fall, coupled with FF XIII and (potentially) GT 5 during the holidays, we could see that performance doubled. That's half a million extra PS3s.

I don't think such an outcome can be expected of FF XIII alone, or of any game lineup; it seems a price drop/new model would be necessary. But there's plenty of signs pointing to one. A million PS3s sold in 3 months is definitely still on the outside edge of probability, but seeing the historical data makes it not quite so unimaginable.

carlo6529

DavidDayton said:

FFXIII has been in development a long long lonnnnnnngg. time; before the Wii took off. That and that alone is the reason why you see FFXIII and Versus going to the PS3/ HD consoles.

I wouldn't be surprised if Square-Enix announced FFXV for the Wii/WiiHD though

rpmurphy

carlo6529 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Square-Enix announced FFXV for the Wii/WiiHD though
I would be. FFXIII should sell well enough on the two platforms for SE to justify making the next one too for them.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Segata Sanshiro said:
To the second, the decisions were made at different times, and decisions regarding those two series are made by different people. It'll never necessarily be the case that FF will go where DQ goes or vice versa.

Well, I know why FFXIII isn't hitting the Wii -- at the very least, it's been in development for the PS3 for quite a while now. However, I was puzzling over why FFXIV had been announced for the PS3.

Top Bottom