• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: June 15-21, 2009

gtj1092

AdventureRacing said:
Why? This game is not going to bomba in price so what is the difference between upfront sales and sales in a couple months time?

If this goes on to sell 1.5-2 million copies or more why does it matter what it sold upfront?

It's also interesting that you mention first month as well because i expect this title to hold up very strongly and it's first month sales will most likely be more impressive than it's first week in comparison to other titles.

This is a really good point.

Durante

icecream said:
And honestly what is that difference? Gust, N1, Compile Heart, Idea Factory (specifically their recent stuff)... they're all niche developments who try to sell using those cute, moe characters to substitute for real graphics and current generation-level gameplay. There's nothing that Gust does that puts them heads-over-shoulders above the others.
What the hell is current-generation-level gameplay, particularly in a JRPG? I know that Ar Tonelico 2 for example (a PS2 game) has a more progressive, well-designed and generally better battle system than any JRPG on one of the current consoles.

(Fake edit: I wrote this before I read all the replies expressing a similar sentiment, but since it was addressed at me I still want to confirm it)
androvsky said:
Current generation-level gameplay? What is that, in terms of JRPGs?
Pureauthor said:
What on earth is 'current generation - level gameplay', anyway?
(Real edit: That's "pwning" now? With 7 'w's? Really?)

Stumpokapow said:
wii sports resort in one week - 353k
wii music lifetime - 362k

tee hee hee hee

It's a shame. I know Wii Music was/is one of GAF's favourite whipping boys, but it's a wonderful piece of software and I'd like to see Nintendo return to the concept for a fuller sequel (Wii Music Plus?).

Vinnk

Cosmonaut X said:
It's a shame. I know Wii Music was/is one of GAF's favourite whipping boys, but it's a wonderful piece of software and I'd like to see Nintendo return to the concept for a fuller sequel (Wii Music Plus?).

Seems unlikely that Nintendo will want to revisit that title. Copies selling brand new now for less than 2000yen here. It sold a fair amount of copies but Nintendo must have spent a pretty penny on ads and such. In the weeks before it came out it was not uncommon to see one or 2 ads for it every commercial break. It likely still made money but it clearly did not perform to expectations (as Iwata himself admits).

But if they ever do and allow actual composting and sharing of music, I will be in line day one.

donny2112

Cosmonaut X said:
it's a wonderful piece of software and I'd like to see Nintendo return to the concept for a fuller sequel (Wii Music Plus?).

Just don't let Denise Kaigler be the one to tell Nintendo if the game is fine or not, and it'd probably be a million-seller. The potential is certainly there.

Vinnk said:
But if they ever do and allow actual composting and sharing of music, I will be in line day one.

I continue to maintain that this is the fundamental mistake made with Wii Music. The game quite obviously doesn't hold a candle to the GH model of rhythm-based buttom pressing gameplay when it comes to playing pre-composed tracks. But we've already seen a very popular and successful Nintendo-authored take on simple, multi-track music composition with Mario Paint back in the day. Imagine a composition mode equivalent to that (with 4 to 8 separate instrumental tracks on each part) which then allows you to play your compositions by waggling. I think you'd find that this is suddenly more appealing.

This is where Nintendo's online retardation really hurts them, too. Add a Youtube upload mode to that and you open up a whole new market of people who would have been completely uninterested in Wii Music proper but might find this hypothetical version appealing.

charlequin said:
I continue to maintain that this is the fundamental mistake made with Wii Music. The game quite obviously doesn't hold a candle to the GH model of rhythm-based buttom pressing gameplay when it comes to playing pre-composed tracks. But we've already seen a very popular and successful Nintendo-authored take on simple, multi-track music composition with Mario Paint back in the day. Imagine a composition mode equivalent to that (with 4 to 8 separate instrumental tracks on each part) which then allows you to play your compositions by waggling. I think you'd find that this is suddenly more appealing.
But if you're following your own compositions, where does the chance to play things differently on the fly come from? Is it going to take a player's simple Mario Paint-like composition and fill in all the sixteenth note spots between by algorithm?

rpmurphy

JoshuaJSlone said:
But if you're following your own compositions, where does the chance to play things differently on the fly come from? Is it going to take a player's simple Mario Paint-like composition and fill in all the sixteenth note spots between by algorithm?

At the least, having some sort of DLC structure would have probably given the title more attention. But then again, I would imagine it would an extremely tedious process to rearrange every single song down to the 16th note so who knows if that would have been worth the effort.

Wow after getting so used to seeing frontloaded sales in Japan it's surprising to see WSR more than double its first day sales. But I'm really curious to see the hardware boost.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
vicissitudes said:
Wow after getting so used to seeing frontloaded sales in Japan it's surprising to see WSR more than double its first day sales. But I'm really curious to see the hardware boost.

I'm guessing it wasn't that substantial since Famitsu didn't see fit to mention it, as cvx alluded to.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Cosmonaut X said:

I dont think its a shame. Nintendo made a lot of poor decisions on that game, so I really dont mind it failing to do much.

Jokeropia

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
But you keep ignoring me saying that they are not comparable, one is a full blown, new release and the other is a budget re-release which usually have totally different sales patterns, nearly no development cost and its sales are just extra on top of the original full-blown, new release.
I never ignored this, I already said that I'd expect all these things to be taken into consideration when the expectations are set for the game. We're not putting two games directly against each other, we're putting them against their respective expectations. (Or since we don't have the expectations, the shipment sell-through.)
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I don't think I could call it a bar but certainly when a title is released I look at previous titles if its a franchise, the developer, the budget (as in the push its given in game content, development, advertising... since we don't have raw numbers), the genre, the platform, the patterns (genre decline, franchise decline, long legged titles...) for comparable titles. Since they are so many I can't see it just black or white and consequently I'd rather not use success/failure but just stick it up with the likes of it.
But doing this you'll still end up with an arbitrary number as there's no exact science for how all these things are weighed. Like I said above, I'm sure this is what each publisher takes into consideration when determining budget and expectations for a project but since they all do it in their own ways it makes the most sense to let them set the bar for their own projects.

Jokeropia said:
I never ignored this, I already said that I'd expect all these things to be taken into consideration when the expectations are set for the game. We're not putting two games directly against each other, we're putting them against their respective expectations. (Or since we don't have the expectations, the shipment sell-through.)
We just don't have the same view on their expectations. You are saying all the context is applied already, and I say all the context has to be taken in when we get such data. Comparing two such different products by one single slice of data isn't going to tell me one is better because its higher.

Jokeropia said:
But doing this you'll still end up with an arbitrary number as there's no exact science for how all these things are weighed. Like I said above, I'm sure this is what each publisher takes into consideration when determining budget and expectations for a project but since they all do it in their own ways it makes the most sense to let them set the bar for their own projects.
I don't agree at all, the expectations we see them throwing are just flat-out analyst predictions on how much they will ship in a fiscal year so they can anticipate investors the results they are going have as best as they can. If they expect a bomb, and it bombs, they will have successfully predicted it, and the game would still be a bomb.
Meeting the kind of expectations they make public doesn't make a game a success, it only makes their prediction a success.

test_account

XP-39C²
Vinnk said:
I bought a brand new copy of Oppona last week for 350yen. It being #76 in no way makes it less of a total failure. Captain Rainbow, even more so (Oppona outsold that).
Why is Opoona so cheap to buy? I read something about that they made too many copies, but how many copies were made compared to how much the game sold (that we have sales data for at least)?

Spiegel

Famitsu TOP TEN

1. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) / NEW

2. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo)
3. [PS3] Atelier Rorona: Arland no Renkinjutsushi (Gust) / NEW
4. [PSP] Ken to Mahou to Gakuen Mono 2 (Acquire) / NEW
5. [PS3] BlazBlue (Arc System Works) / NEW
6. [360] BlazBlue (Arc System Works) / NEW

7. [NDS] Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Square Enix)
8. [PS3] Agarest Senki Zero (Compile Heart) / NEW
9. [PSP] Valhalla Knights 2: Battle Stance (Marvelous Entertainment) / NEW

10. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom)

http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/sokuho/1225500_1796.html

Spiegel

Sinobi:

[WII] Wii Sports Resort / 354k

Wii hardware 21k

[NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) 70k/170k LTD
[PS3] Atelier Rorona: Arland no Renkinjutsushi 47k
[PSP] Ken to Mahou to Gakuen Mono 2 45k
[PS3] BlazBlue 36k
[360] BlazBlue 23k
[PS3] Agarest Senki Zero 14k
[PSP] Valhalla Knights 2: Battle Stance 14k

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Spiegel said:
Sinobi:

Wii hardware 21k

:lol :lol Wow. I knew my 40K estimate was high, but jesus.

test_account

XP-39C²
Spiegel said:
Sinobi:

Wii hardware 21k

[NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) 70k/170k LTD
[PS3] Atelier Rorona: Arland no Renkinjutsushi 47k
I think that this is a good start for Wii Sports Resort :) Not a too big big of a bump in the Wii hardware sales this week, but i am looking forward to see how the Wii hardware will sell in the upcomming months, and on how the legs for Wii Sports Resort will be :)

That seems like a pretty good 2nd week sales for Tomodatchi Collection (Friend Collection). The 1st week sales were about 100k, wasnt it?

Are the sales for Atelier Rorona: Arland no Renkinjutsushi good, average or bad?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
test_account said:
Are the sales for Atelier Rorona: Arland no Renkinjutsushi good, average or bad?
That's the best first week the series for the series since PS1 I believe. (highest on PS2 44k first week, highest on DS 15k).

360 BB seems much closer to PS3 BB than the usual multiplats, wonder why?

kswiston

Spiegel said:

Wii hardware 21k

I had a feeling that Wii Sports Resort would mainly sell to people who already bought the system for the first game. However, I would have still predicted SOME bump in hardware sales. Maybe up by 10k. This result is so close to last week's Wii hardware sales that the difference might as well be statistical noise. I guess that weekly Wii hardware sales will be stuck in the 15-20k a week range for awhile still.

We should also expect a similar lack of hardware boost when Wii Fit plus launches in a couple months. That leaves what? Monster Hunter 3 and maybe New Super Mario Bros wii (which I am not convinced will be nearly as big a deal on Wii as it was on DS) as potential hardware selling games leading into the holidays?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
There may be some prospective Wii buyers who have held off due to the announcement of the black Wii, but I'm not sure if that would be enough to really affect anything.

Sadist

Wii price cut coming in this fall. If Wii Sports Resort fails to increase American en European hardware sales significantly, it will drop as well in those regions.

Spiegel

Nirolak said:
o_O

I decided to try seeing if this was more impressive from a percentage perspective, but apparently it's only 8% higher than last week.

Nah, Famitsu had the Wii at 17k. It's a bit higher than that (24% higher)

Great sales for Wii Sports, Atelier and Class of Heroes 2 (Ken to Mahou...)

Bombahalla Knights 2 made a bit of a comeback on the weekend and now has sold 60% of its first shipment. Not bad for an overpriced best version.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I think the one game to boost Wii sales will be NSMB Wii. Monster Hunter 3 might cause a short-term bump, but nothing more.

Seriously though, if Wii sales can't increase in the long run with Monster Hunter Tri- (+ the black Wii), Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit Plus and NSMB Wii all coming out before 2010 (as crazy as it sounds, I think it could play out that way), I hope Nintendo will reflect on the situation and understand what's wrong.

Top Bottom