• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Nov 23-29, 2009

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Laguna said:
I really haven´t expected this demand either. Nintendo should really consider re-releasing Wario Land Shake It, sadly they won´t.

I think Nintendo laments now focusing on 3D Mario instead of 2D Mario for such a long time, if three years ago wasn't enough evidence.

Die Squirrel Die said:
Statements like this somewhat confuse me as to what the person is trying to say. How does one go about building a fanbase other than by releasing games? Then you have the other hand which is saying that the series is in decline because of overmilking. Or is the suggestion that they should have released SW3 on systems that already have a Musou presence?
Both. They've already got the fanbase attached to milking machines buildings A-C, and the combination of short tubing and dead-insidedness keeps most of them from moseying to building E for another meal like the ten they've already got.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Regulus Tera said:
So basically NSMBW almost beat Galaxy's LTD in four days.

That just says sad things about Japan. Still cant believe Galaxy hasnt made it to one million yet.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
HK-47 said:
That just says sad things about Japan. Still cant believe Galaxy hasnt made it to one million yet.
I believe it will make it eventually. New Super Mario Bros. Wii and (mainly) Super Mario Galaxy 2 will help it. But I'm afraid we won't know it until 2010 top 500.

Effect

hatchx said:
I'm sorry, I know this probably a beaten topic now....

but I can't BELIEVE how poorly Crystal Bearers did on wii. It did SO badly. Is the Crystal Chronicles title a stigma now?

Gees.

Part of the problem I think as suggested was that Crystal Bearers wasn't Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles 2. It wasn't a proper follow up to the game that was released on the the cube that started the new brand. It was a spin off to a game that was already a spin off. Not to mention it most likely didn't get a fraction of push that Final Fantasy XIII is and will be getting. If anything Final Fantasy Fables could be sense as a closer successor to FF:CC then what Crystal Bearers.

However if it was marketed properly then I guess it's the game itself. As said a spin off to a spin off.

Laguna

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
I think Nintendo laments now focusing on 3D Mario instead of 2D Mario for such a long time, if three years ago wasn't enough evidence.

Maybe, but I think the time-out was actually benificial to the sales because every series loses its appeal if you release too many sequels in a short timespan (Sony-syndrom) but I agree that the pause was far too long. NSMB DS was the first new Mario 2D JnR after SM World. I was a little disappointed that there wasn´t a new Mario game even on GBA I would have loved a new one similar to the Mario Land series but the Advance-remakes were just too popular. Everyone should be happy for those sales (NSMBwii) since it means we´ll get more 2d and 3d Mario games on consoles.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
HK-47 said:

Its still a nice improvement over Sunshine. Curious to see how MG2 does.

m.i.s.

Banned
Laguna said:
I really haven´t expected this demand either. Nintendo should really consider re-releasing Wario Land Shake It, sadly they won´t.

Nintendo should be re-releasing and remaking Super Mario Land 1 and 2 and Wario Land 1, 2 and 3 on a combination of Wiiware or full retail discs.

Best 2D platformers by far (after Super Mario Bros / World / Yoshi's Island).

Laguna

Banned
M.I.S. said:
Nintendo should be re-releasing and remaking Super Mario Land 1 and 2 and Wario Land 1, 2 and 3 on a combination of Wiiware or full retail discs.

Best 2D platformers by far (after Super Mario Bros / World / Yoshi's Island).

I agree that the GameBoy ones were great and also different, they should really try to do a new Super Mario Land, remakes not so much, really there have been to many remakes since 2000 and to me those games are perfect as they are even without any colour.

Laguna said:
I agree that the GameBoy ones were great and also different, they should really try to do a new Super Mario Land, remakes not so much, really there have been to many remakes since 2000 and to me those games are perfect as they are even without any colour.

Thank you for reminding me of Super Mario Land!

Wario Land was a continuation of it, but it's obviously like it's own series as Rune Factory is to Harvest Moon.

Damn, this is perfect, get Good Feel to make a new Super Mario Land ala Wario Land Shake It! :D

andymcc

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
An awesome game selling awesome numbers says sad things about Japan.

'Kay.

japan is easily won over by nostalgic ads, won't try to buy new franchises/different installments in series. yeah, it says a lot about japan.

Grampasso

I was bored so I did this query on Garaph (yes, I really like SQL :p):
Main Mario entries FirstWeek/LTD Ratio
Code:
SELECT FWSales.TitleEnglish, TotalSales, FirstWeekSales, 
(FirstWeekSales*100/TotalSales) AS Ratio FROM
(SELECT SoftwareInfo.GameID, TitleEnglish, 
MAX(SalesLTD) AS TotalSales FROM SoftwareInfo, SoftwareWeekly 
WHERE SoftwareInfo.GameID=SoftwareWeekly.GameID 
AND SalesLTD >0 AND TitleEnglish LIKE '%Mario%' 
AND TitleEnglish NOT LIKE '%Strikers%' AND TitleEnglish  NOT LIKE '%Baseball%' 
GROUP BY SoftwareInfo.GameID, TitleEnglish) AS LTDSales, 
(SELECT SoftwareInfo.GameID, TitleEnglish, MIN(SalesLTD) AS FirstWeekSales 
FROM SoftwareInfo, SoftwareWeekly WHERE SoftwareInfo.GameID=SoftwareWeekly.GameID 
AND SalesLTD >0 AND TitleEnglish LIKE '%Super Mario%' 
GROUP BY SoftwareInfo.GameID, TitleEnglish) AS FWSales 
WHERE FWSales.GameID = LTDSales.GameID ORDER BY Ratio
If we exclude the original Super Mario 64 (first 3D mario, great anticipation etc... plus it came out with the console release, right?) which had an insane (for the series) 54% rate, we can clearly see how long are main Mario entries legs.
Now let's take the worst possible scenario, which is at a 35% FW/LTD rate. If NSMBW will perform like this it will end up at 2,676,382. Realistically speaking, as we can see from the ratios there's a high probability the ratio for NSMBW will be lower than that. The average ratio, cutting off the first and the last ones (which are ridiculously high and low), is 19,3. That would bring the NSMBW LTD at 4853544. I think this is unrealistic as well, especially because home console iterations always tend to have shorter legs.
So in the end, I think something around 4 milions is not out of the question (maybe more depending on this holiday season)

Hero of Legend said:
Wario Land was a continuation of it, but it's obviously like it's own series as Rune Factory is to Harvest Moon.
Man, I'd love to see some sort of timeline/flowchart about all the related and parallel platform series that have branched off starting from Donkey Kong.

[Nintex]

andymcc said:
japan is easily won over by nostalgic ads, won't try to buy new franchises/different installments in series. yeah, it says a lot about japan.

I can see the Zelda Wii ads in my mind.

"It's dangerous to go alone, take this!"
8-bit Link walks in grabs sword, shows someone slashing Link's sword with the Motion Plus in Zelda Wii.

8-bit Link walks in grabs bow and arrow, shows someone shooting arrows in Zelda Wii.... etc.

andymcc

Banned
[Nintex] said:
I can see the Zelda Wii ads in my mind.

"It's dangerous to go alone, take this!"
8-bit Link walks in grabs sword, shows someone slashing Link's sword with the Motion Plus in Zelda Wii.

8-bit Link walks in grabs bow and arrow, shows someone shooting arrows in Zelda Wii.... etc.

zelda ads in japan? :lol :lol

farnham

Banned
SlipperySlope said:
I'll be rooting for a "New Legend of Zelda Wii".

I don't have a DS, so come on 2D Zelda on Wii!
you can play 4 swords adventures on the wii just fine

Somnid said:
Nintendo should follow up this success by releasing that 4-player Kirby game.
nintendo_kirby-5.jpg

breaking my heart

Chris1964 said:
Famitsu data:

Mainline Mario entries (no remakes and re-releases)

01. [NFC] Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - / 6.810.000
02. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 865.024 / 5.575.000
03. [NGB] Super Mario Land (Nintendo) - / 4.190.000
04. [NFC] Super Mario Bros. 3 (Nintendo) - / 3.840.000
05. [SFC] Super Mario World (Nintendo) - / 3.550.000
06. [NGB] Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins (Nintendo) - / 2.700.000
07. [NFC] Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo) - / 2.650.000
08. [SFC] Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (Nintendo) - / 1.770.000
09. [N64] Super Mario 64 (Nintendo) - 162.111 / 1.639.921
10. [NFC] Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - / 1.630.000
11. [NGB] Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land (Nintendo) - / 1.590.000
12. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo) - 256.431 / 964.414
13. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 936.734 / 936.734
14. [GCN] Super Mario Sunshine (Nintendo) - 280.610 / 789.989

New Super Mario Bros. Wii has already outsold Sunshine, next week it will outsell Galaxy and by the end of the year it will outsell 4 more games.

I was wondering if you have a Top 5 1st week on Wii list and a Million Sellers Wii list?

Grampasso said:
If we exclude the original Super Mario 64 (first 3D mario, great anticipation etc... plus it came out with the console release, right?) which had an insane (for the series) 54% rate, we can clearly see how long are main Mario entries legs.
It's not so much that SM64 had a huge first week as that the only N64 data in Garaph is currently from the yearly Top 100/300 lists, so what your code picks up as its first number is actually its 1996 total. :) So that it sold only about half of its total in its first six months is in fact an indication of legginess.
3331+-+Super+Mario+64+-+N64

BlackNMild2k1 said:
I was wondering if you have a Top 5 1st week on Wii list and a Million Sellers Wii list?
Top5 First Week:
WII - New Super Mario Bros. Wii 936.734
WII - Super Smash Bros. Brawl 816.198
WII - Mario Kart Wii 608.147
WII - Monster Hunter 3 (tri~) 582.548
WII - Wii Sports Resort 353.827

Wii Million Sellers:
WII - Wii Fit 3.538.570
WII - Wii Sports 3.528.473
WII - Wii Play 2.697.416
WII - Mario Kart Wii 2.370.000
WII - Super Smash Bros. Brawl 1.812.706
WII - Wii Sports Resort 1.355.000
WII - Mario Party 8 1.354.885
WII - Animal Crossing: City Folk 1.182.000

Laguna

Banned
Captain Smoker said:
Top5 First Week:

Wii Million Sellers:
WII - Wii Fit 3.538.570
WII - Wii Play 2.697.416

Can you do a PS3 milion seller list for PS3 too please? ;)

farnham

Banned
Laguna said:
was there a japan only millionseller on the ps3 at all..?

Captain Smoker said:
Top5 First Week:

Wii Million Sellers:
WII - Wii Fit 3.538.570
WII - Wii Play 2.697.416

nice list

hopefully new super mario bros wii, monster hunter 3 and wii fit plus will join the million seller list soon

Jaruru

Captain Smoker said:
Top5 First Week:

Wii Million Sellers:
WII - Wii Fit 3.538.570
WII - Wii Play 2.697.416

the Wii Million Sellers only show 1st party games so far?
NSMBWii will be there by next week.

mind sharing all million sellers including 3rd party? or/and anything near the million mark? thx :D

edit: oh nvm, it's for Japan only. forget about the 3rd party thing. but anything near the million? still want to know.

Laguna

Banned
Hero of Legend said:
Thank you for reminding me of Super Mario Land!

Damn, this is perfect, get Good Feel to make a new Super Mario Land ala Wario Land Shake It! :D

Wario Land was a continuation like you said but the gameplay was changed too much so it´s really a series on it´s own and I agree that Good Feel did a very good job on Shake It! especially the graphics were great. But really, we should stop dreaming this won´t happen.

NSMBwiis good sales will really help Kirby since they can effectively market it as the next multiplayer JnR after NSMBwii.

andymcc said:
zelda ads in japan?

Why shouldn´t there be any ads in Japan? The most hilarious one was from Japan, you know the Link to the Past one? Twilight Princess sold about 500-600k and Phantom Hourglass even 800k-900k. So I doubt there won´t be ads for Zelda in Japan.

andymcc

Banned
Laguna said:
Why shouldn´t there be any ads in Japan? The most hilarious one was from Japan, you know the Link to the Past one? Twilight Princess sold about 500-600k and Phantom Hourglass even 800k-900k. So I doubt there won´t be ads for Zelda in Japan.

yeah the lttp one is pretty funny. but, nintendo doesn't seem to advertise their core games (aside from mario wii) with great frequency... after they essentially sent sin and punishment 2 to die... well, fuck 'em. : /

Grampasso

JoshuaJSlone said:
It's not so much that SM64 had a huge first week as that the only N64 data in Garaph is currently from the yearly Top 100/300 lists, so what your code picks up as its first number is actually its 1996 total. :) So that it sold only about half of its total in its first six months is in fact an indication of legginess.
Oh thanks for pointing that out, I didn't check the release date even if that number was definitely strange to me, that explains a lot :D

Laguna said:
PS3 Million Sellers:

Jaruru said:
the Wii Million Sellers only show 1st party games so far?
NSMBWii will be there by next week.

mind sharing all million sellers including 3rd party? or/and anything near the million mark? thx :D

edit: oh nvm, it's for Japan only. forget about the 3rd party thing. but anything near the million? still want to know.
http://www.japan-gamecharts.com/wii.php

^^

Jokeropia

Stopsign said:
Taiko no Tatsujin: Tatakon de Dodon ga Don: 743.334

I think that's the highest selling one.
It is.

You can't really tell from this image, but the Wii game (3314) is the second highest, followed by the two DS games (2860 & 297) and the third PS2 game (1284).

andymcc

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
I'm not really sure how; I've always preferred the 2D Marios over 3D.

i like 2d mario games okay and love the 3d ones. i think there are much better 8 and 16-bit platformers than ones found in the mario series, whereas 3d marios are without a doubt the best 3d platformers

andymcc said:
i like 2d mario games okay and love the 3d ones. i think there are much better 8 and 16-bit platformers than ones found in the mario series, whereas 3d marios are without a doubt the best 3d platformers

Yeah, it's all opinions. I'm really not a huge fan of the 3D Marios at all. I still haven't beaten Galaxy, and it isn't because it's a "bad" game, I just don't like 3D Marios that much.

Dragona Akehi said:
Yeah, it's all opinions. I'm really not a huge fan of the 3D Marios at all. I still haven't beaten Galaxy, and it isn't because it's a "bad" game, I just don't like 3D Marios that much.

Ditto for me. Mario in 3d just never did it for me. And in looking at the sales figures, it would appear that more people like their Mario's in 2d than 3d.

jay

andymcc said:
i think there are much better 8 and 16-bit platformers than ones found in the mario series

What games do you have in mind? I'm curious if it's just an issue of taste or if I managed to miss some great games.

Dragona Akehi said:

I really like Mario in 3D, SM64 is one of my more favorite games of all time. However. something like Super Mario World is the kind of game that I will put in my GBA for no good reason and 3 hours later look up like WHAT HAPPENED. 2D Mario is the one true Mario, for me.

Top Bottom