• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Nov 9-15, 2009

zoku88

timetokill said:
... so naive.... :lol :lol :lol

How are those corn subsidies working out for us?
Not sure what your point is. I'm sure you didn't fail to notice my last sentence and how the gov't is failing to properly correct (or even address) those issues.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
NSMB not having online might be stupid, but it's not anti-consumer in the same way that RE5 not having online is not anti-consumer. Of course, RE5 did have online they just sold it to customers as DLC, and that actually is anti-consumer because it involves purposefully crippling a product in a much more direct way than simply "withholding value for the sequel" as some games do.

Dragona Akehi said:
Yeah I dunno how you can call strict region encoding and failed localisations anything but anti-consumer. Fuck you Nintendo.

I would note that I extend quite a bit of sympathy for companies that seem to be making their localization decisions based strictly on finances. I absolutely get why Sega doesn't localize quite a bit of their stuff. I absolutely get why SE passed on Nanashi No Game. I also get quality-based decisions and I think it's absolutely fair to "only localize the cream of the crop" if a company is taking that angle.

But Namco and Nintendo both make decisions that seem to be based on some weird mix of brand projection and dartboard throws. How on earth Magna Carta 2 was a more profitable localization than Tales of... well, anything eludes me.

Stumpokapow said:
I would note that I extend quite a bit of sympathy for companies that seem to be making their localization decisions based strictly on finances. I absolutely get why Sega doesn't localize quite a bit of their stuff. I absolutely get why SE passed on Nanashi No Game. I also get quality-based decisions and I think it's absolutely fair to "only localize the cream of the crop" if a company is taking that angle.

But Namco and Nintendo both make decisions that seem to be based on some weird mix of brand projection and dartboard throws. How on earth Magna Carta 2 was a more profitable localization than Tales of... well, anything eludes me.

See, thing is, I'm able to import those games currently. The "Fuck You Nintendo" comes from their attempt to break the import market with repeated attempts to block Homebrew on the Wii and now region coding the DS. I understand the financial aspect, even if it doesn't make me happy. But when Nintendo is going the extra proverbial mile to ensure I cannot play games because they are neither localising them (or worse having the localisation already complete and then not going through with the game such as Soma Bringer, or the NOE release of Another Code R and no US release, etc.) nor allowing me to import them... that's when it crosses the line into idiocy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Dragona Akehi said:
See, thing is, I'm able to import those games currently. The "Fuck You Nintendo" comes from their attempt to break the import market with repeated attempts to block Homebrew on the Wii and now region coding the DS. I understand the financial aspect, even if it doesn't make me happy. But when Nintendo is going the extra proverbial mile to ensure I cannot play games because they are neither localising them (or worse having the localisation already complete and then not going through with the game such as Soma Bringer, or the NOE release of Another Code R and no US release, etc.) nor allowing me to import them... that's when it crosses the line into idiocy.

Yeah Nintendo is in a uniquely bad position for localizations because a) As a platform holder they region code platforms and clearly aren't going to stop any time soon, b) As a publisher, they refuse to allow other publishers to localize the stuff they pass on, c) As a domestic subsidiary of that publisher, they pass on things with no real rhyme or reason.

Namco at least only does B and C :p

zoku88 said:
Not sure what your point is. I'm sure you didn't fail to notice my last sentence and how the gov't is failing to properly correct (or even address) those issues.

In all honesty -- I didn't -- but it wouldn't matter anyway. It's not why the government exists. It may be what you think its purpose should be -- but it's not why it exists. And it ignores the multitude of things it does that are explicitly done to benefit or protect corporations over the consumer. Anyway, it was more of a laugh about the statement, I just found it funny.

zoku88

timetokill said:
In all honesty -- I didn't -- but it wouldn't matter anyway. It's not why the government exists. It may be what you think its purpose should be -- but it's not why it exists. And it ignores the multitude of things it does that are explicitly done to benefit or protect corporations over the consumer. Anyway, it was more of a laugh about the statement, I just found it funny.
Uuuh, that doesn't really say anything except that it's failing its job (wtv the reason is.) WTV you're saying has nothing to do with saying what the gov't's purpose is... So again, I'm not sure what your point is.

Keep in mind, corporations (as we know them today) are relatively new. So the idea that gov'ts exist to protect corporate interests is kind of odd, since gov'ts were conceived way before corporations were.

shinshero

timetokill said:
... so naive.... :lol :lol :lol

How are those corn subsidies working out for us? ... actually, there are so many examples here of how that is an incorrect statement, at least in practice, that I won't really bother.

I'm not going to say much more on the anti-consumer thing beyond this post. If somebody wants to keep thinking that a company not including a variety of extra features that aren't inherent to the operation of the system as designed and advertised is anti-consumer, you guys go on ahead.

It's just amazing... there's a good argument for region-locking being an anti-consumer practice, and even locking games to a system. And I've even agreed on these points. But saying "OMG friend codes are so annoying!" is not a valid reason for them being anti-consumer.

I will respond to this, though:

The reason I made that comparison is because it is ridiculous to compare every platform in a market, compare their features, and insist that they all have the same ones just because you want them, and regardless of target market, price, or the entirety of the product itself. This is exactly what is happening when people say, "Well Nintendo's online is sooo crappy!" It's crappy compared to Xbox Live and PSN today, yes. It's pretty great compared to the online of the previous generation of systems.

It's a low bullet-point feature of a system that is not pushing the online service as its main selling-point anyway. If you're a core consumer, and you decided to buy the Wii and you were expecting Xbox Live out of its online service, how does that make Nintendo anti-consumer?

I bought a toaster, and it only toasts 2 slices of bread instead of 4, but man doesn't everybody make toasters that toast 4 slices nowadays? fucking anti-consumer whores!

It's totally ridiculous to talk about features of a product that are part of the definition of the product and are malicious in practice or intent to consumers. Region-locking could be considered anti-consumer by preventing them from buying perfectly usable software, legally, and using it with their console. Makes sense. Not including features that were never present, never intended to be present, and deemed unnecessary for their perceived target market is NOT anti-consumer.

You guys are the core market, and you want a lot of features that the general market doesn't care that much about. Nintendo has no interest in getting into an arms race with Microsoft and Sony over features that most of the market doesn't care about. They have no interest in fighting Microsoft and Sony over you guys. I know it hurts, but you have to come to that realization someday.

Nintendo cut a lot of traditional features in order to hit a lower price point (while still making a profit, of course) and in order to promote new features that would attract brand new customers. They were successful in this.

Do you guys complain that Southwest doesn't offer in-flight movies? I mean those are practically standard, right? They just took them out to screw over the consumer and make them entertain themselves for the duration of the flight!

Also, why do people like charlequin keep bringing up a "lack of a legitimate storage solution." Downloading games directly to SD card, as well as loading them directly from SD card, is not a legitimate storage option?

Ehhh...Aren't you supposed to compare a product with its current competition? I mean online is part of everything now.

YourMaster

zoku88 said:
I love how ppl are so willing to defend corporations right to attempt to screw you over! :lol

Companies are bound by law, and many companies will break the law if they can get away with it. We're actually, rightfully so, protected by law from companies really screwing us over and they'll still occasionally get away with it. Nobody is rooting for this.

Companies also can and will break moral boundaries, they can do stuff in countries that would be illegal in the counties they come from, can find ways to hurt people without breaking the law. This can be addressed by both consumers voting with their dollar, but also with political action.

The third level, and I think Nintendo is on this level, is to stay within moral boundaries, but try to milk your customers for all they have. This is a thin line were you basically keep your customers hostage. I for one am a Nintendo hostage, I don't agree with any of their policies, I don't feel like their products speak to me at all but I like their software so I still buy it. I would defend a companies right to have a business model like this, but as a consumer, I don't have to like it. Hell, when I make decisions about the software I design I often take into consideration that the current users have invested to much in the software to go to a competitor so I implement features for future not current customers.

There's another way of dealing with consumers, where profit is still key, and that's to actually make sure your customers will never leave because they get exactly what they want, because they have no reason to ever want something else. Or to at least try to make your customers feel that way. Out of the three console manufacturers I feel Sony's business model resembles this way of doing business the most. They have their issues, they haven't managed to provide what the customers wanted, but I do feel they've tried.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
shinshero said:
Ehhh...Aren't you supposed to compare a product with its current competition? I mean if they can do it why can't they?

And this, gentlemen, is why Nintendo managed to one-up everyone else, and still (mostly) are even though they've been fucking up lately.

jay

ethelred said:
You're right. Sorry for questioning the moral turgidity of St. Iwata, son of Our Lord Yamauchi, he who delivered us from our sins.

This is how Gerg always posts. Writing it off as Nintendo obsession may be easy but it's incorrect.

gerg

jaundicejuice said:
Is gerg thegrayghost?

:lol :lol :lol
No.

I admit that if "anti-consumer" only means "does things of no real benefit to the consumer", then, yes, lists and lists of what Nintendo does are anti-consumer to what at any time will be, at the very least, a small contingent of consumer. I was wrong in this regard, and this whole discussion could have been avoided. I just don't see the significance of this outside of Nintendo itself losing money. A corporation's goal is to make money, which may sometimes be achieved by doing things the consumer likes; nevertheless, making the consumer happy is never an end in itself.

jay said:
This is how Gerg always posts. Writing it off as Nintendo obsession may be easy but it's incorrect.

Why, thank you.

zoku88

Uhm, the definition of anticonsumer should be pretty clear just from the contents of the word.

It's clearly an action that done to the detriment of consumers just so that you can make more money (or lose less?)

jay

zoku88 said:
Uhm, the definition of anticonsumer should be pretty clear just from the contents of the word.

It's clearly an action that done to the detriment of consumers just so that you can make more money (or lose less?)

The problem is that's a blurry definition and can lead to people arguing Nintendo doing something poorly is anticonsumer when generally ineptitude is not.

I think we are going in circles now, but everyone not named gerg can agree that region locking and preventing consumers from transfering digital content is anticonsumer as they're clearly done with intent and not just incompetence, like say Nintendo's online services.

Kilrogg said:
And this, gentlemen, is why Nintendo managed to one-up everyone else, and still (mostly) are even though they've been fucking up lately.

Yep, exactly.

Your methods -- adding any and all features because the competition has them and so why shouldn't you? -- leads to arms races and financial disasters like the PS3. It leads to the situation in the airline industry where nobody was making any money because they kept adding features and benefits even if most consumers didn't want them or didn't value them at or above the cost it would take to implement them. Until Southwest came along, the airline industry was just a money hole that the government kept propping up because they can't afford to lose the airlines and their impact on the economy.

I use the Southwest Airlines example a lot because it's a good comparison to what Nintendo's strategy has been (both are blue ocean strategies).

Nintendo would not have been one of the most stable and consistently profitable companies if it acted that way. The reason they don't add a huge online service like Xbox Live isn't because they hate consumers, and it also isn't that they're incompetent, like so many of you seem to insist.

It's because they know most of their target consumers don't want, don't need, or aren't willing to pay for those features.

As a consumer you can decide which gaming console is best for you, based on features. Of course, as core consumers a lot of you are going to buy all of them. And with Wii, you're probably going to be unhappy with some of the Wii's lack of functionality/features compared with your other consoles. That's fine. It doesn't make them anti-consumer just because they're not catering to the core market's every whim.

Region-locking, not saving games to accounts. That's about it. Everything else seems to be feature-bitching.

In order to clarify the whole "anti-consumer" debate, I'm going to break things into a few categories then put a few example items in those categories.

A) Pro-consumer practices: Things which benefit both the company and consumer, without harming the consumer at all.

B) Neutral practices: Things which benefit both the company and consumer, while also doing some harm to the consumer OR Things that benefits one group of customers at the expense of another.

C) Anti-consumer practices: Things which benefit the company and not the consumer, while doing harm to the consumer.

I think that the definition of anti-consumer is items under C.

Now for a few examples that fall under each category, sometimes a type of practice, other times a specific practice. Edit: I guess I should say at the start that I am using example from all regions, even though I know this is a Media-Create thread.

A) Pro-consumer practices:
1: Giving away old games to promote a new game. (EA with Command and Conquer, Rockstar with Grand Theft Auto, Bethesda with Morrowind)

2: Giving away free post content to a game post release. (Blizzard with a the new Warcraft III mini campaign that was included in an update, EA with bonus stuff for Burnout Paradise, Valve for lots of their games)

3) Giving away a good demo that gives customers a lot of play time. (Spiderweb's and Nadeo's demos have more content than some full games)

4) Taking a loss on console hardware. (Sony with PS2 and 3, Microsoft with XBox and 360)

Note that in none of these example did the company actually hurt itself or do anything purely for altruistic reasons. Even if there was a short term loss, they always had their eyes on long term gain.* Nevertheless, these are all pro-consumer practices.

B) Neutral Practices

1) Steam, for adding community feature, a library of games for to reinstall in case of a lost disc/crashed hard-drive, BUT it requires them to be online to install it.

2) Nintendo's heavily restricted online. (meant to benefit concerned parents at the cost of online gamers)

Now, in this second category, the a company might misjudge the market and produce a benefit for a tiny or non-existent group of customers at the expense of everyone else. I think it's clear that Nintendo is actually trying to attract a group of customers with its online policy, rather than just sticking it to its fans. I also think that they need to realize that concerned parents would be just as happy with traditional parental controls on a robust online system.

C) Anti-Consumer Practices

1) Securom online activation DRM. The customer gets is harmed by needing to be online to install in and (in many cases) having a limited number of installs, requiring a call to customer service to fix.

2) Region locking. This includes Nintendo, Sony (last gen) as well as all DVD manufacturers, who, as far as I know, started the whole idiotic endeavor**.

3) Refusing to localize viable products, and refusing to let other companies localize the ones that are passed on. (Nintendo with whole bunch of games, obviously)

I think that this provides a pretty usable and objective measure of anti-consumer policies. Most of the reductio ad absurdum examples that Gerg tried to come up with fall into the second category***, while Nintendo has done a lot of stuff that fits into the third category. But there is one further distinction that can be made.

Suppose that the online activation in Bioshock had worked. Thanks to online activation, PC piracy is now non-existent. Is online activation DRM still anti-consumer? I'd say yes. So now we have an even lower category than anti-consumer: Unnecessarily anti-consumer practices. I think that pretty much everything that people are whining about Nintendo doing are pretty much unnecessary. They hurt the customer and don't benefit Nintendo all that much. How much money has Nintendo made by making people mod their Wii to play Another Code R or download a fan translation to play Soma Bringer? I'd guess that answer is hovering right around $0. And that is what makes people so mad.

*In some cases they might not misjudge the future and not get that long term gain, but that is because they were foolish, not because they were altruistic.

** They claim they added it to prevent people in other markets from seeing a release on DVD before it got to theaters there, but I don't see how that logic could be applied to, say, the African Queen, which still hasn't seen an R1 release.

*** His silly example of "Why doesn't the PS3 cook my breakfast?" is just Sony providing a benefit to those who want a cheaper, less ungainly machine at the expense of the (probably nonexistent) people who value multifunctionality above all else. The same goes for Nintendo offering a low cost, backwards compatible system instead of an HD one.

ivysaur12

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:

Wait, Nintendo had finished a translation for Soma Bringer?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
jay said:
It may not be mindless fanboy drivel, but I've never met anybody who defends Nintendo's business practices the way gerg does.

cvxfreak

timetokill said:
Your methods -- adding any and all features because the competition has them and so why shouldn't you? -- leads to arms races and financial disasters like the PS3. It leads to the situation in the airline industry where nobody was making any money because they kept adding features and benefits even if most consumers didn't want them or didn't value them at or above the cost it would take to implement them. Until Southwest came along, the airline industry was just a money hole that the government kept propping up because they can't afford to lose the airlines and their impact on the economy.

I use the Southwest Airlines example a lot because it's a good comparison to what Nintendo's strategy has been (both are blue ocean strategies).

Good point, and one I particularly like because I'm a frequent flyer. I specifically do not use Southwest Airlines because it doesn't serve my needs as someone who needs to fly internationally. I also value a seating assignment, making other airlines' more traditional practices to be more valuable. That makes me the equivalent of a 360/PS3 gamer in airline terms. :lol

Deku

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:

Did you call Reggie?

I mean seriously though, I'm sure Nintendo has someone (ANYONE) who reads forums and blogs that can report back on these issues.

Their localization track record has me really upset as well.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Torhthelm Tídwald said:
** They claim they added it to prevent people in other markets from seeing a release on DVD before it got to theaters there
Actually Nintendo's most recent introduction of new region codes for countries like Korea was given the "explanation" of being a piracy prevention measure -> ignoring the fact that it obviously prevented nothing, one has to wonder who cooked up that one because the only thing it did was encourage people to hack-systems (Korea Wii market has been about 2 years behind the rest of the world in terms of localized releases, not to mention Nintendo's Dick move ended up disabling GCN BC alltogether).

Fafalada said:
not to mention Nintendo's Dick move ended up disabling GCN BC alltogether

If I understand correctly, Nintendo could have made a much more powerful console for the same price if they had used "off the shelf" components rather than overclocking the GCN chips. But they opted to use the GCN so that they could have BC easily and cheaply, at the expense of hardware power. (They haven't explicitly stated this, but it is the only reason I can think of for their hardware to be so underpowered at the price.) Then they disable BC in one region to prevent that region from getting too many games without their permission. As far as I know the only benefit they get is the ability to sell the exclusive rights to distribute games in different regions to different companies. Can those rights really be worth more per copy than they would get from an import copy? How does this make any sense? I'm trying to think up how this could possibly be in their best interest, but I simply can't come up with anything.

Famitsu Software Stuff

Though still not up there with the PS2 heyday, World Soccer Winning Eleven has its best PS3 start yet.

In its second week, Persona 3 Portable easily becomes the top Atlus game of 2009.
Persona+3+PSP

Though it may be leggy, Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games is off to a much slower start than its predecessor.
Winter

I didn't do one of these write-ups last week, but if I did I would've pointed out that Dragon Quest IX became the first third-party game to join the 4+ million group. It's 3631 here. The last game to hit 4 million was 2006 release Pokémon Diamond/Pearl.

Monster Hunter 3 fell off the Top 30 last week, but due to the Top 30 sales limit raising rather than a drop of its own. It's back this week, making five straight weeks of being in the 4800-5100 range.

Famitsu Software Pie: WSWE2010 gives PS3 one of its higher weekly percentages. It's #1 this week for the first time since the back-to-back weeks of Yakuza 3 and Resident Evil 5.

PS3: 34.0
DS: 32.2
Wii: 13.8
PSP: 13.5
PS2: 1.5
X360: 4.7
Other: 0.1
gerg said:
If it isn't about morality, then how do we understand what a company "should" or "should not" do?
duckroll said:
By looking at what we as consumers want out of a product? How fucking hard is that to understand?
Not making 60fps games is anti-consumer.
Torthelm Tidwald said:
But they opted to use the GCN so that they could have BC easily and cheaply, at the expense of hardware power. (They haven't explicitly stated this, but it is the only reason I can think of for their hardware to be so underpowered at the price.)
Not just BC, but it made it possible to just continue using the same development tools/skills, as well as possible to pretty painlessly port some games from GCN to Wii.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
JoshuaJSlone said:
In its second week, Persona 3 Portable easily becomes the top Atlus game of 2009.
Persona+3+PSP
Out of curiosity, is Garaph going to have a "Game (Digital)" entry for when digital sales of a title are released, or due to the extremely small amount of data we ever get for that are you just going to skip it?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Torhthelm Tídwald said:
How does this make any sense? I'm trying to think up how this could possibly be in their best interest, but I simply can't come up with anything.
The best I can come up with is that it was aimed to fight gray-market for hw imports. I recall PS2 took several years before Korean model outpaced sales of import-hw (last I remember, estimated PS2 import sales were close to 1M, which would be around 1/4 of total hw sales in the region).
But I'm only guessing this paralel based on the fact Wii was similarly late to the market as PS2 (~2 years lag), I'm clueless as to whether Wii was actually a big import-seller here.

Still - that's only added anti-consumer evidence, as they could easily fix it by launching a year or two earlier instead.

Raggy

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Based on the latest Famitsu hardware numbers...

Something slightly new this week. Raggy suggested adding a bit more context, and it seemed like a good idea. Now instead of just showing where one system compares to some other system's weeks, it also shows how much the number has changed. So you can see PS3 making great strides in GCN weeks, for instance. Hopefully the addition of another bit of (parenthetical data) doesn't make it much harder to read.

Thanks for that!

However a number saying +0.3, is really -0.7, since 1.0 is the zero point.
Dunno if its better to post all numbers in +, or have +1 = 0

onken

Yeah region locking is pretty much the quintessential anti-consumer practice; going out of your way to dick over your customers for the sake of marginal financial benefit.

Though thinking about it, dicking over your customers for the sake of large financial benefit (e.g. 360 hard-drives) would have to be classed as anti-consumer too.

Makes you wonder where to draw the line. I'm sure Sony saved a lot of money by not putting 1GB of RAM in to the PS3, at the cost of poorer quality games/features for consumers. Is this classed as anti-consumer too? How is wanting to play out-of-region games different to wanting the option to buy inexpensive hard-drives, or wanting games to run better?

I thought I had a pretty clear idea on what an anti-consumer action was but now I think about it, it's pretty tough to define.

Nirolak said:
Out of curiosity, is Garaph going to have a "Game (Digital)" entry for when digital sales of a title are released, or due to the extremely small amount of data we ever get for that are you just going to skip it?
Unless we somehow start getting regular rankings of them, it's probably not something I'd keep track off.
Raggy said:
Thanks for that!

However a number saying +0.3, is really -0.7, since 1.0 is the zero point.
Dunno if its better to post all numbers in +, or have +1 = 0
I see your point, but I think it's simpler to just keep it in the positives and have it be understood that anything below 1 is "losing ground".

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
timetokill said:
It's because they know most of their target consumers don't want, don't need, or aren't willing to pay for those features.

I agree with the entirety of your post, but I'd add one thing: it's okay, if not preferable to be behind the curve when it comes to technology, as long as you do it in areas that don't need more sophistication (yet, if at all). While there's subjectivity involved, the basic rule for a company is "if most people don't care about it, it's not important". This reasoning led Nintendo to create an SD console with limited online capabilities, and it's why we hear Nintendo execs say things like "we will do HD next time around, just not now" on a regular basis.

What I'm getting at is that you, as a company, don't have to (and in some cases, shouldn't) follow the same rhythm as your competitors, because many times, that rhythm —the rhythm of techonological improvement— is too fast for many consumers. In other words, technology usually evolves faster than people's needs/wants. There will be a point where the improvements you bring to your products won't be noticeable to most people, or worse, will be rejected, because sophistication sometimes makes things inconvenient. The big hint is this: if you need to "educate" people about the greatness of your product, it's too late. Remember those early PS3 ads that taught us the greatness of the Cell processor? Yeah.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu gave early PSP Go sales and won't give DSi LL? I hope we get them today.

Next week predictions

[NDS] Professor Layton and the Flute of Malevolent Destiny (Level 5) - 290K
[PSP] Higurashi Daybreak Portable: Mega Edition (Alchemist) - 15K
[WII] Karaoke Joysound Wii DX (Hudson) - 20K
[WII] Momotaro Railway 2010: Sengoku Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! no Maki (Hudson) - 45K

onken

Oh yeah, predictions. Everything other than Layton is pretty pointless, anything sub-50k is just pure guesswork. But what the hell:

[NDS] Professor Layton and the Flute of Malevolent Destiny (Level 5) - 330k
[PSP] Higurashi Daybreak Portable: Mega Edition (Alchemist) - 15k
[WII] Karaoke Joysound Wii DX (Hudson) - 25k
[WII] Momotaro Railway 2010: Sengoku Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! no Maki (Hudson) - 30k

I'll play the how low can you go card...
Predictions said:
[NDS] Professor Layton and the Flute of Malevolent Destiny (Level 5) - 262k
[PSP] Higurashi Daybreak Portable: Mega Edition (Alchemist) - 8,700
[WII] Karaoke Joysound Wii DX (Hudson) - 9,600
[WII] Momotaro Railway 2010: Sengoku Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! no Maki (Hudson) - 42k

Yoboman said:
So is Nintendo no longer the industry sweetheart on NeoGAF?

Insofar as the Media-Create threads are concerned, a lot of us have been saying that Nintendo dropped the ball on the Wii for a while now.

Of course 'Nintendo' includes the DS, which very few of us have any complaints about.

Rolf NB

Kilrogg said:
I agree with the entirety of your post, but I'd add one thing: it's okay, if not preferable to be behind the curve when it comes to technology, as long as you do it in areas that don't need more sophistication (yet, if at all). While there's subjectivity involved, the basic rule for a company is "if most people don't care about it, it's not important". This reasoning led Nintendo to create an SD console with limited online capabilities, and it's why we hear Nintendo execs say things like "we will do HD next time around, just not now" on a regular basis.

What I'm getting at is that you, as a company, don't have to (and in some cases, shouldn't) follow the same rhythm as your competitors, because many times, that rhythm —the rhythm of techonological improvement— is too fast for many consumers. In other words, technology usually evolves faster than people's needs/wants. There will be a point where the improvements you bring to your products won't be noticeable to most people, or worse, will be rejected, because sophistication sometimes makes things inconvenient. The big hint is this: if you need to "educate" people about the greatness of your product, it's too late. Remember those early PS3 ads that taught us the greatness of the Cell processor? Yeah.
You have a very narrow view of who benefits from features. Online gaming isn't just something a few gamers desire. It's the new frontier for marketing and staving off the used market. Community building and trophies 'n'shit make you keep your games longer, and makes you respect them more, and that's a benefit to every publisher, completely independent of the perceived demand from the userbase.

It's not that Nintendo wouldn't be better off with that. They would. It's just one in a list of items they don't pursue because they can't. They are still too small a company to put serious manpower on such features.

Nintendo hasn't expanded to support its newfound success -- bigger audiences are more diverse audiences with a wider spectrum of demands. Instead of getting invested into adequate growth, Nintendo's stockpile of money is just sitting there, producing no returns. It's as if there was no trust to anyone but the already established execs, and they'd rather squander their current opportunity than let potentially unworthy rookies work with their first-party IPs.

bcn-ron said:
You have a very narrow view of who benefits from features. Online gaming isn't just something a few gamers desire. It's the new frontier for marketing and staving off the used market. Community building and trophies 'n'shit make you keep your games longer, and makes you respect them more, and that's a benefit to every publisher, completely independent of the perceived demand from the userbase.

It's not that Nintendo wouldn't be better off with that. They would.
But don't the top two third party games of the year, one on each Nintendo system, do these?

Rolf NB

JoshuaJSlone said:
But don't the top two third party games of the year, one on each Nintendo system, do these?
I can't even put the names on your example, but in any case I was thinking of system-wide integration of features. The Wii's friends list doesn't produce any peer pressure or even stir interest in games because there's no way to see what games anybody on there plays, or has played, which is even beside the point of how tucked away it is.

Even though individual Wii games can have unlockables and completion percentages, they are all their own microcosms that fail to feed into a unified "gamer value". When I want to send out my Metroid Prime Trilogy friend vouchers, I can't even see who on my friends list owns that game, because you have to explicitly click the "Advertise my MP Trilogy ownership" something-or-other menu option and nobody does that. I didn't either. I didn't ever think I had to do such a thing until I was done with the whole process anyway.

A visible, lively friends list can create awareness. Like, sometimes when I play a PS3 game I get a message from someone on my list asking me what I think of it. And after dozens of hours in the same online games, those are people with at least somewhat aligned tastes, so there's a bit of mutual trust going on that makes opinions and recommendations within the group more significant than the average forum post. Nintendo simply doesn't play this game. Nintendo isolates you in one game at a time.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Is there anyone who knows which are the following games reported at the famitsu leaks?

10/09/07-16/09/07: Halo Pack - 4.600 / NEW (is this for the original XBOX?)
24/09/07-30/09/07: GOC - 1.900 / NEW
08/10/07-14/10/07: Izumi - 3.000 / NEW

No system, no publisher, no full name. These are the only games from older famitsu leaks I didn't manage to match.

gogogow

Chris1964 said:
Is there anyone who knows which are the following games reported at the famitsu leaks?

No system, no publisher, no full name. These are the only games from older famitsu leaks I didn't manage to match.
jakww9.jpg

Chris1964 said:

Going by the dates:

Xbox Halo History Pack Platinum Collection
PS2 Generation of Chaos Desire
Didn't find the Izumi title, there's one called Izumo for PS2 but not that week (the one before)

edit: oh beaten to halo

Top Bottom