• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Oct 26-Nov 1, 2009

nib95

Banned
Totobeni said:
then he can just post the pics here , no need to give his site more clicks ( is this even allowed here ? ) .

I usually prefer to have the source of the news anyhow, and people post links all the time. Some of you guys are incredibly anal. The off chance that someone does speak Arabic (and there actually quite a few Arabs on the GAF) the link makes more sense.

Foreign news links are common in other threads. For example French and Spanish one's in the GT5 thread. Arabic links, or links of any language for that matter, shouldn't be any different.

Why does sp0rsk link us to gamevideos/1Up pages of his uploaded footage and not just link us to a direct download? hypocrisy; it tastes delicious.

I like true-gaming.net and find lots of its content and photos to be what I'm looking for. If linking their blog page is faster, what the hell, I'll give them the clicks. I can't read arabic but their site is still easier to navigate than most english game-sites. Just as when people link to japanese only pages for blog photos or whatever I find no problem with this.

Anyway, massively strayed off topic and still BOO-URNS onto japanese gamers for not picking up 3D Dot Game Heroes. Hopefully it'll be a big success for Atlus like Demon's Souls has been for them.

Rolf NB

gofreak said:
Yeah, but like...you would think among those waiting for the next FF that there'd be a fair number of rpg-nuts who'd be tickled pink by the apparent nostalgia trip that is Dot Heroes.

I don't know. It just seems like a quintessentially 'Japanese' game. Yet it'll probably do much better in the West than this. Don't understand the Japanese market at all :p How did Demon's Souls do by comparison?
It launched flat, sliding forward on its face, but it just kept charting for a long while.
http://garaph.info/softwareindividual.php//gid/3425

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Osuwari said:
i think that has to do more with the makers of the show completely murdering the series' popularity with mountains of filler and oversaturation of games in the same series.

Combined with the first Wii game being the worst in the series and coming off of the best game in the series, done at the height of the show's popularity...

markatisu

Why is everyone surprised at M&S? Winter Olympics games are not as popular as summer regardless of license. This is true in real life as well as video games

And its not like it will disappear from the charts instantly, I do not expect it to be anywhere close to the first one given the sports its focus is on.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
markatisu said:
Why is everyone surprised at M&S? Winter Olympics games are not as popular as summer regardless of license. This is true in real life as well as video games

And its not like it will disappear from the charts instantly, I do not expect it to be anywhere close to the first one given the sports its focus is on.

Yeah, I'm not very surprised by this. I think also a lot of parents would be put off buying it if they already got the olympics one i.e. "do you really need the winter olympics one if we have the other?"

Plus the UK ad is facking awful. It looks like a parody of wii ads. But that's a different territory...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Even worse for M&S than I expected. Will be interesting to see if it has legs like the first one.

Great for WE 2010.

3D Dot not doing well is not a surprise.

kpop100 said:
I would :lol except that it would have sold like 15 copies on the Wii instead of even 7000.
Yeah this comment is completely founded. [/sarcasm]

3D Dot Heroes numbers make me sad. That game could have sold like 10 times as much if it was on an HD console instead of the Wii. I'd totally buy it as a $15 dollar download.

Best thing to come out of one of these threads in a long time. Guess what?? Hardcore games fail on HD consoles too!

duckroll

I don't think there's really anything "hardcore" about 3D Dot Heroes. The correct term would be "niche" because it's not a matter of being a core game or a casual game or whatever. It's just a no-one-gives-a-fuck game.

duckroll said:
I don't think there's really anything "hardcore" about 3D Dot Heroes. The correct term would be "niche" because it's not a matter of being a core game or a casual game or whatever. It's just a no-one-gives-a-fuck game.
I guess the point would be that every 3rd party game that sells below expectation on the Wii, you are guaranteed at least one idiot who would say "THAT GAME WOULD'VE SOLD 100,090 TIMES BETTER ON THE HD CONSOLEZ!!!11!" when it's really a case of the gaming being a niche title, like you described.

gcubed

danielijohnson said:
I guess the point would be that every 3rd party game that sells below expectation on the Wii, you are guaranteed at least one idiot who would say "THAT GAME WOULD'VE SOLD 100,090 TIMES BETTER ON THE HD CONSOLEZ!!!11!" when it's really a case of the gaming being a niche title, like you described.

so every poor selling 3rd party game on the Wii is a niche title... noted.. thanks

JudgeN

danielijohnson said:
Best thing to come out of one of these threads in a long time. Guess what?? Hardcore games fail on HD consoles too!

danielijohnson said:

So wait the game is a failure not after a week or 2 of sales data NO NO NO its a failure after its first day sales? Please for the love of god give me your time machine, so I can change a couple of things about my life.

danielijohnson said:

Yeah I wouldn't necessarily call it harcore. The budget for this game is probably a fraction of what Demon's Souls costed. Its a retro niche game that really doesn't need to sell a lot.

onken

I'm not even touching this argument.

Anyway, it would be nice if this sort of game sold better.

jcm

I posted this in the SE earnings thread, but I thought I'd repost it here, since you guys will probably have a better informed response.

53spr6.png

This is interesting. In the MC thread, I was asking just how high a game's attach rate cold be, and doubting that FF13 could hit 2M. I didn't realize a previous game had reached close to 50%. I guess 2M isn't impossible.

onken

I wonder if 3DDot would have sold better if it was regular turn-based party RPG, because I know that's personally what I was hoping for when I first saw the announcement.

gofreak said:
Yeah, but like...you would think among those waiting for the next FF that there'd be a fair number of rpg-nuts who'd be tickled pink by the apparent nostalgia trip that is Dot Heroes.

Why would the audience buying a console to play an RPG with no levels, no world map, and "realistic" styled graphics featuring zipper-clad heroes who ride around on magical summon motorcycles be interested in this game?

The truth is that nobody (relatively speaking) really likes games like this anywhere.

jcm said:
I posted this in the SE earnings thread, but I thought I'd repost it here, since you guys will probably have a better informed response.

53spr6.png

This is interesting. In the MC thread, I was asking just how high a game's attach rate cold be, and doubting that FF13 could hit 2M. I didn't realize a previous game had reached close to 50%. I guess 2M isn't impossible.

Yup I'm expecting over 4 million PS3s sold by year end, with a 50% attach rate on FFXIII putting it at 2mill (well okay maybe 2 mill after 3 months of sales). We won't get bundle sales data though will we? That'll probably bugger up my prediction.

A Zelda 1 clone made with 3D pixels and bloom turned out to be unsuccessful? Shocking.

Still it might sell out its first shipment, which would be a win for From in the end.

mclem

jcm said:

53spr6.png

I've just realised something about that, and I'm not sure if it's misleading or simply standard practice that I hadn't cottoned on to; it's comparing the sales of the game in October with the number of consoles available *before the game's release*. Given that I would expect FFX to be a system seller, I'd expect there to be a bit of a surge in console sales, with the number of consoles in homes rather larger by the end of the listed time period.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu:
Code:
01. [PS2] Final Fantasy X (Square)   1.749.737  1.749.737
02. [PS2] Final Fantasy X (Square)     233.429  1.983.166   
04. [PS2] Final Fantasy X (Square)      85.703	2.068.868
06. [PS2] Final Fantasy X (Square)      47.152	2.116.020
05. [PS2] Final Fantasy X (Square)      37.582	2.153.602
07. [PS2] Final Fantasy X (Square)      25.033	2.178.635
12. [PS2] Final Fantasy X (Square)      16.861	2.195.496
16. [PS2] Final Fantasy X (Square)      10.558	2.206.054
22. [PS2] Final Fantasy X (Square)       8.027	2.214.080
21. [PS2] Final Fantasy X (Square)       5.769	2.219.849
27. [PS2] Final Fantasy X (Square)       5.422	2.225.271
__. [PS2] Final Fantasy X (Square)       3.271	2.228.542
27. [PS2] Final Fantasy X (Square)       3.707	2.232.249

These are the software sales until 14/10/01, three monts after the release of Final Fantasy X (19/07/01). Hardware until 01/07/01 (3 weeks before Final Fantasy X) was 4.249.938. Maybe Famitsu was undertracking but let's accept that this hardware number is the real and not the 4,7M.

Final Fantasy X (first week) to PS2 ratio (until 01/07/01) = 0,412
Final Fantasy X (after 3 months) to PS2 ratio (until 01/07/01) = 0,525

Final Fantasy XIII comes out at 17/12/09. We need the hardware until 3 weeks before FF XIII launch (29/11/09)

According to Media Create until 01/11/09 PS3 is at 3.737.764 and there 4 weeks left. Let's take the very optimistic scenario that PS3 sells 160.000 the next 4 weeks.
Hardware = 3.900.000

Assuming FF XIII follows the path of FF X it would sell:

Final Fantasy X (first week) = 0,412x3.900.000 = 1.606.800
Final Fantasy XIII (after 3 months) = 0,525x3.900.000 = 2.047.500

With the comparison Square-Enix made, taking always the best case scenario and assuming FF XIII follows exactly FF X, FF XIII can sell 2M but it needs a first week of 1,6M.

It's not going to happen. No one believes that, Square Enix, Enterbrain or Media Create.

Chris1964 said:
With the comparison Square-Enix made, taking always the best case scenario and assuming FF XIII follows exactly FF X, FF XIII can sell 2M but it needs a first week of 1,6M.

It's not going to happen. No one believes that, Square Enix, Enterbrain or Media Create.

I was with ya up to here. How is 'FXIII following the same path as FFX' an improbable best-case scenario? Isn't it more of a precedented likely scenario?

ethelred

gofreak said:
Don't understand the Japanese market at all :p How did Demon's Souls do by comparison?

That would be kind of a poor comparison. Demon's Souls was published by Sony; 3D Dot Game Heroes was published by From Software. They're not really comparable.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
TheRagnCajun said:
I was with ya up to here. How is 'FXIII following the same path as FFX' an improbable best-case scenario? Isn't it more of a precedented likely scenario?
Best case scenario:

PS2 hardware: 4,25M and not 4,70M
PS3 hardware: 160K the next 4 weeks

jcm

Chris1964 said:
Famitsu:

The only one I know of is Enterbrain, who said 1-1.5M lifetime, right? What are the other two estimating?

Chris1964 said:
Best case scenario:

PS2 hardware: 4,25M and not 4,70M
PS3 hardware: 160K the next 4 weeks

160K is optimistic for November, but I'm expecting Dec to be a big month for PS3. I think the install base for PS3 will experience a greater change over 3 months than PS2 did for FFX, since its the holidays and all.

I agree that there are legitimate reasons that games don't sell well on any console. It's just that the reasons being given are more often than not ignored when a game people want to sell well doesn't on the Wii and the case is then made that the game was on the wrong console.

It seems like people keep latching onto the wrong part of what's being said...

donny2112

DarkMehm said:
It still isn't correct. 12,967,144 + 64,020 =/ 13,094,626.

I have the sum of the weekly PSP MC values through last week to be 12,967,129.

As for the difference, we've gotten MC LTD updates that didn't match the weekly totals before, so I'm adding those adjustments onto the final total.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
jcm said:
The only one I know of is Enterbrain, who said 1-1.5M lifetime, right? What are the other two estimating?

Media Create analyst expects 1,7-1,8M LTD for FF XIII with 1,5M for December

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/10/01/media_create_ffxiii_sales_forecast
http://gamez.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/0909/30/news115.html

I can't find the article right now but Wada at an interview (Nikkei.jp I think) said he expects the combined sales of PS3 and 360 at the other regions to cover the loses from Japan, comparing to previous Final Fantasy titles.

king zell said:
i thought people would enjoy seeing stuff like this even if its only pics, most of us don't live in Japan and we don't experience what happens in Japanese stores.

You're welcome to post links to your site whenever you want, King Zell. I appreciate it when you do.

donny2112 said:
I have the sum of the weekly PSP MC values through last week to be 12,967,129.

As for the difference, we've gotten MC LTD updates that didn't match the weekly totals before, so I'm adding those adjustments onto the final total.
My MC number is only slightly different through last week, so it's probably those adjustments or typos on my part that makes the difference. BUT his point stands:
DarkMehm said:
12,967,144 + 64,020 =/ 13,094,626
If you have 12,967,129 as of last week, and 13,094,626 this week, you've added 127,497 for this week--about twice what it should be. Not exactly twice, though, so it doesn't seem like you did an obvious thing like accidentally add in this week's twice.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
BUT his point stands:

If you have 12,967,129 as of last week, and 13,094,626 this week, you've added 127,497 for this week--about twice what it should be. Not exactly twice, though, so it doesn't seem like you did an obvious thing like accidentally add in this week's twice.

Read my post again. There are adjustments of -6 and +63,483 based on the MC LTDs that we've seen posted (e.g. GEIMIN.net's MC Top 500). I'm not adding 127,497 this week. :p

What's your MC number just based on the weekly totals?

donny2112 said:
Read my post again. There are adjustments of -6 and +63,483 based on the MC LTDs that we've seen posted (e.g. GEIMIN.net's MC Top 500). I'm not adding 127,497 this week. :p

What's your MC number just based on the weekly totals?
Oh, OK. Gotta love adjustments of 63K. o_O

My version of the weeklies for PSP+PSPGo comes to 13,031,169.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
My version of the weeklies for PSP+PSPGo comes to 13,031,169.

So DarkMehm is 15 higher than me and you're 20 higher than me. I need to compare the garaph.info MC weekly numbers to my listing sometime. :)

cvxfreak said:
DSLivingLarge pics

Three more weeks... I'm fine with my DSi, but if this brings more people on to access DSiWare, great. :D

jesusraz

Guess what folks? Level-5's already got the Inazuma Eleven anime show ready to air across Europe, with the aim of launching it around the FIFA 2010 World Cup period and the announcement of the game's release 'when the time is right' :D

dallow_bg

nods at old men
jesusraz said:
Guess what folks? Level-5's already got the Inazuma Eleven anime show ready to air across Europe, with the aim of launching it around the FIFA 2010 World Cup period and the announcement of the game's release 'when the time is right' :D
:fist pump:

jesusraz

Hino-san also wants to bring ALL the Atamania games over, including the Sloane & MacHale titles and budget puzzle collections ^_^ Good news all round!

spidye

jesusraz said:
please be true.
I am not doubting you but a source would be nice.

jesusraz said:
Level 5 target release date? So about World Cup 2014 in the end.

test_account

XP-39C²
duckroll said:
First day sales, as expected it's total shit all round:

[Wii] Mario&Sonic at Shitty Olympics 7800 10%
I am surprised that Mario&Sonic didnt sell more in the first day. Is there any known reason for this? The first Mario&Sonic sold 15,000 the first day (maybe this has already been mentioned), so it isnt exactly a very big difference between them, but concidering that the first Mario&Sonic game sold about 594k in total, LTD, i would expect a bit higher number the first day for the sequel.

duckroll said:
[PS3] 3D Dot Heroes 7700 38%
I am also surprised that 3D Dot Heroes didnt sell more in the first day. I thought that this game would be more popular. Also surprisingly to me is the realively low first shipment.

But these are just first day numbers though, so maybe both Mario&Sonic and 3D Dot Heroes has a chance to do some better numbers in the long run, especially Mario&Sonic. I think it shall be interesting to see what happends :)

gerg

Apparently all the DSiLL (I do love the "LivingLarge" moniker :lol) pre-orders on Amazon.jp have sold out. Considering the recent down turn in DS sales, is it fair to suggest that this could be quite big? (Pardon the pun.)

Top Bottom