• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Oct 26-Nov 1, 2009

markatisu

test_account said:
I am surprised that Mario&Sonic didnt sell more in the first day. Is there any known reason for this? The first Mario&Sonic sold 15,000 the first day (maybe this has already been mentioned), so it isnt exactly a very big difference between them, but concidering that the first Mario&Sonic game sold about 594k in total, LTD, i would expect a bit higher number the first day for the sequel.

Winter games, its like comparing apples to oranges. Just because it has Olympics does not mean it is identical.

You should be using the term sequel there very loosely

JP is following what we are already seeing in the EU sales, Winter Games are just not as popular regardless of the license used

jcm

Chris1964 said:
Media Create analyst expects 1,7-1,8M LTD for FF XIII with 1,5M for December

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/10/01/media_create_ffxiii_sales_forecast
http://gamez.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/0909/30/news115.html

I can't find the article right now but Wada at an interview (Nikkei.jp I think) said he expects the combined sales of PS3 and 360 at the other regions to cover the loses from Japan, comparing to previous Final Fantasy titles.

Thanks for the info. 1.8M is close enough to 2M. Dismissing 2M out of hand seems premature.

Amir0x

Banned
Error said:
I don't think it really matters if it bombs in japan or not. Wasn't the reason why there's a sequel in the first place, because of the good sales of the original after it was released over here on the VC?

NMH bombed in Japan, did well here, got a sequel.

No More Heroes sucked though, I actually WANT a Sin and Punishment 3!

u_neek

I imagine FFXIII will end up doing 2-2.1m LTD without re-releases but it's probably going to take a while. My guess is 1.7-1.8m this year.

ElFly

markatisu said:
Winter games, its like comparing apples to oranges. Just because it has Olympics does not mean it is identical.

JP is following what we are already seeing in the EU sales, Winter Games are just not as popular regardless of the license used

Did Mario and Sonic in the Olympics really sell due to the Olympic license?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Predictions for NSMB Wii and FF XIII first weeks will be interesting.

It seems DSi LL will be XL in sales but it's strange Nintendo launches it with no title.
DSi launch titles were weak but at least there were some games.

PSP Go on the other had a bunch of new releases.

markatisu

ElFly said:
Did Mario and Sonic in the Olympics really sell due to the Olympic license?

So because it has Mario and Sonic it has to sell an insane amount? Just look at the content , the Summer games are closer to Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort then the Winter

Unless I am missing the unusually high sales of hockey, ice skating, snowboarding, and skiing games in Japan over the last gen (What is the high Family Ski which coincided with the Balance Board launch?).

donny2112

Chris1964 said:
It seems DSi LL will be XL in sales but it's strange Nintendo launches it with no title.

It comes with the two "Bit of Brain Training" titles and some other game, IIRC. Gets them used to DSiWare right off the bat.

test_account

XP-39C²
Linkup said:
it's a casual title on the wii
That is true, casual games might have a bigger chance to have longer legs and not all casual games have big sales in the first day and/or in the first week, so maybe Mario&Sonic will contunie to sell well for a longer period of time like the first Mario&Sonic game did :)

markatisu said:
That is a very good point that i actually didnt think too much about. I mostly though that since both games shares the similar gameplay style and many of the same characters are in both of the games, that those who were interested in the Mario & Sonic Summer Olympics would also be interested in Mario & Sonic Winter Olympics. But maybe winter games inst as popular as summer games indeed as you say.

markatisu said:

Yes, i was actually thinking about if i should call this new Mario & Sonic game for a sequel or not because this game isnt exactly a sequel in the way that the story contunies from the previous game (i dont think that the first Mario & Sonic game had much of a story though?). But i didnt come up with a better word to use than "sequel", and since both games are in the same "serie" (both games have many of the same characters, but this time it is winter sports instead of summer sports), i decided to use the word sequel to describe 'Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games' compared to 'Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games' :)

But ye, it isnt exactly a sequel in the way that the story contunies from the previous Mario & Sonic game, that is true. What would be a better word than sequel by the way?

I think that 'Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games' can sell pretty well in the long run though, even if the first day numbers werent really that high. I think it shall be interesting to see how it will contunie to sell at least :)

KtSlime

donny2112 said:
It comes with the two "Bit of Brain Training" titles and some other game, IIRC. Gets them used to DSiWare right off the bat.

I'm guessing it is safe to assume you are referring to the Japanese release, and if that is the case, that other 'game' is in fact a version of Nintendo's Kokugo Rakubiki Jiten software, a Japanese language dictionary. So not only is it to get them used to DSiWare immediately, but I think it is designed to entice people who are in the market for an electronic dictionary.

Didn't want to be first (predicting) but the thread is dead, oh well :p

[NDS] Mega Man Battle Network: Operate Shooting Star - 36,000
[PSP] J-League Pro Soccer Club! 6: Pride of J - 102,000
[WII] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers - 43,000
[PS3] Dragon Ball: Raging Blast - 67,000

Paracelsus

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Didn't want to be first but the thread is dead, oh well :p

Can gaf please tell me is that's good or bad?

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Didn't want to be first but the thread is dead, oh well :p

What are these? Shipment numbers?

Crystal Bearers is gonna sell heaps and surprise everyone, then everyone will be like man why did I doubt it, its freaking Final Fantasy, ON WII.

I believe in you Layle!

Paracelsus said:
=/

At least say so.
...Its the 3rd round already. I also mentioned it already in this thread (#164) as usual and said in the post that I didn't want to be first (predicting) but since the thread is dead, oh well. You know, I thought that was enough, but I'll add a hint or two.

duckroll

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
...Its the 3rd round already. I also mentioned it already in this thread (#164) as usual and said in the post that I didn't want to be first (predicting) but since the thread is dead, oh well. You know, I thought that was enough, but I'll add a hint or two.

The thread is only as dead as the upcoming sales will be. Oh snap! :)

Orgen

My predictions

[NDS] Mega Man Battle Network: Operate Shooting Star - 51,000
[PSP] J-League Pro Soccer Club! 6: Pride of J - 94,000
[WII] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers - 82,000
[PS3] Dragon Ball: Raging Blast - 79,000

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I was going to wait a bit longer, but what the heck

[NDS] Mega Man Battle Network: Operate Shooting Star - 45k
[PSP] J-League Pro Soccer Club! 6: Pride of J - 90k
[WII] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers - 65k
[PS3] Dragon Ball: Raging Blast - 90k

jesusraz said:
Guess what folks? Level-5's already got the Inazuma Eleven anime show ready to air across Europe, with the aim of launching it around the FIFA 2010 World Cup period and the announcement of the game's release 'when the time is right' :D
Further confirmation, beware of spanish though, Arait Multimedia has announced they got the rights for the franchise and you can read in their website that the license program (target 2010 Q2) will cover the existing DS games. Since you brought it up, you should open a new thread. Good news need to be spread :)

Takao

Banned
Raging Blast is going to be interesting. It's a spiritual sucessor to the Budokai Tenkaichi/Sparking! games released on PS2 and Wii, as it shares the same style, and developer. So compairisons to Burst Limit, or Infinite World aren't going to representative. There's also the fact that the Japanese fanbase is apparently pretty hyped for the inclusion of Super Saiya-jin 3 Brolli, and Vegeta. Two characters who never appeared in that form outside of a Data Carddass game. Then there is the DragonBall Kai TV bump.

jesusraz

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Further confirmation, beware of spanish though, Arait Multimedia has announced they got the rights for the franchise and you can read in their website that the license program (target 2010 Q2) will cover the existing DS games. Since you brought it up, you should open a new thread. Good news need to be spread :)
I can leave that in your hands :) My info comes from an interview with Hino-san I recently did. Thought I'd share that little bit of news before the article goes live, though, since it's bloody fantastic news! :D

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, if Crystal Bearers bombs as bad as some people are predicting, do people think it will effect Square Enix's future plans for Wii development or do people think Square will just write it off as poor decision making on their part?

schuelma

Nirolak said:
So, if Crystal Bearers bombs as bad as some people are predicting, do people think it will effect Square Enix's future plans for Wii development or do people think Square will just write it off as poor decision making on their part?

My instinct is they will blame the Wii userbase and it will play a part..though in this case I think the fault is all SE's.

markatisu

Nirolak said:

Outside DQX does Square have future plans for the Wii?

I mean they could have easily put out a new DQ Swords that takes advantage of M+ and probably sell an easy 400-600k

I doubt Crystal Bearers having low sales will do anything but give them a excuse other than themselves, but didn't the producer or director of the game say it would pretty much bomb on Wii anyway a few weeks back?

schuelma

AniHawk said:
What did SE do to guarantee this would bomb? I haven't been following. Just a lack of ads or what?

I mean the style of gameplay/purposeful marketing of this as a NON RPG. (as an aside, I'm really only talking about Japan- I think it could do well in N.A if marketed).

My basic theory is SE purposefully decided to make this a game to appeal to the more casual/mainstream Wii market and to not scare them away with RPG nonsense. Hence the controls, the marketing as an action game, the playtime of 15 hours, no stats, etc.

What I think has happened however, is that the traditional RPG/ traditional Crystal Chronicles audience has been completely turned off and they are not at all interested in the game- SE has turned away the guaranteed 250-300K for a chance at higher sales that I don't see happening.

AniHawk said:
What did SE do to guarantee this would bomb? I haven't been following. Just a lack of ads or what?

It doesn't help that the two previous entries in the Crystal Chronicles franchise was that cheap DS port and that budget WiiWare game.

jesusraz

GameplayWhore said:
It doesn't help that the two previous entries in the Crystal Chronicles franchise was that cheap DS port and that budget WiiWare game.
Huh? The DS game was an improvement on Ring of Fates, which itself was a very enjoyable action RPG! Also, whilst people may slate the Wii version of Echoes of Time, at least it gave people the option of playing it on the big screen for the same price.

[NDS] Mega Man Battle Network: Operate Shooting Star - 55,000
[PSP] J-League Pro Soccer Club! 6: Pride of J - 85,000
[WII] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers - 135,000
[PS3] Dragon Ball: Raging Blast - 95,000

For FFCC even 100K seems like a bit of a stretch which would be an incredible disappointment.

Tabris

le sigh, "mess" cleaned up.

I'll just bide my time. The tide has turned but when victory is there I'll be there.

jesusraz said:
Huh? The DS game was an improvement on Ring of Fates, which itself was a very enjoyable action RPG! Also, whilst people may slate the Wii version of Echoes of Time, at least it gave people the option of playing it on the big screen for the same price.

I'm just going by what seems like public opinion. On the Forums here, the Wii version seemed met with almost total derision, and in the world of the masses, the game was a small fraction of the popularity of the DS version. An exceptionally poor showing for this home console game would not seem to bode well for its followup.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Tabris said:
100106_turning_tide_550c.jpg

* Please don't ban me, it's all in good fun.
I knew you'd turn up again :lol :lol

ksamedi

schuelma said:
My instinct is they will blame the Wii userbase and it will play a part..though in this case I think the fault is all SE's.

I'm sure SE investors would believe Wada if he told them that the 8 million Wii user base won't buy SE games out of principle.

jesusraz

GameplayWhore said:
I'm just going by what seems like public opinion. On the Forums here, the Wii version seemed met with almost total derision, and in the world of the masses, the game was a small fraction of the popularity of the DS version. An exceptionally poor showing for this home console game would not seem to bode well for its followup.
I know why it was derided, it was due to the Pollux Engine merely transposing the DS game to the Wii without any upgrades at all. Some even felt the way the dual-screen set-up was shown on the big screen didn't work as well as in its native DS format.

The way I see it, though, is that anyone that wasn't bothered about taking the game on the road could still play the same enjoyable RPG, except in the comfort of their homes on a bigger screen than the DS instead.

Tabris said:
http://www.jmg-galleries.com/photo_a_day/images/100106_turning_tide_550c.jpg

* Please don't ban me, it's all in good fun.

SEGATA! YOU GET IN HERE RIGHT NOW! TABRIS GOT INTO THE MEDIA-CREATE THREAD AGAIN.

You best clean this mess up, otherwise he's going to the farm!

gkryhewy

AniHawk said:

I think it's just the awful title. I've seen some japanese TV spots from SE, but those could just be online ads for all that I know.

I think it'll do pretty well, actually.

Vinnk

Saw my first add for CB last night. It was a 15-sec spot. Looked ok. But its just too late. The people at the games stores I go to still don't really know much about this game and there is just no hype built up for it. SE really positioned it as an "also-ran" title. They have a massive campaign in game stores/convenience stores for FFXIII. Huge banners, posters, pre-order forms, etc. After all that the game stores might have a half poster up for "that other game".

FFCC sold more than 200K on GameCube... What happened?

schuelma

Vinnk said:
Saw my first add for CB last night. It was a 15-sec spot. Looked ok. But its just too late. The people at the games stores I go to still don't really know much about this game and there is just no hype built up for it. SE really positioned it as an "also-ran" title. They have a massive campaign in game stores/convenience stores for FFXIII. Huge banners, posters, pre-order forms, etc. After all that the game stores might have a half poster up for "that other game".

Yeah. Plus you had another FF game 2 weeks prior.

It is going to bomb hard.

Bebpo

Banned
Vinnk said:

FFCC sold more than 200K on GameCube... What happened?

Maybe they don't want competition with FFXIII? Having an FF console game a month before XIII might deflate some of the "it's been 4-5 years since the last console FF game" hype for XIII. Maybe they just hate themselves.

jesusraz said:
I know why it was derided, it was due to the Pollux Engine merely transposing the DS game to the Wii without any upgrades at all. Some even felt the way the dual-screen set-up was shown on the big screen didn't work as well as in its native DS format.

The way I see it, though, is that anyone that wasn't bothered about taking the game on the road could still play the same enjoyable RPG, except in the comfort of their homes on a bigger screen than the DS instead.

Not having any experience with the game, I'm not one to argue against its content. I was simply suggesting that the Crystal Chronicles branding has been diluted with different kinds of games that may not at all appeal to the audience that Crystal Bearer is targeted towards and may even in fact dissuade those potential buyers from getting hyped for it.

Top Bottom